2. JMU
3. UD
4. 'Nova
5. WM
6. Towson

Hard to argue with much IMO.

93henfan
July 23rd, 2008, 09:40 AM
I have no heartburn with that list though I believe #1 and #2 in the South should be reversed.

Fordham
July 23rd, 2008, 10:08 AM
that's a great shot of The Tub in your sigpic, 93. Good stuff.

danefan
July 23rd, 2008, 10:12 AM
Nice to see our schedule almost matches the North Division poll:

UMass
Hofstra
UNH

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Poll looks pretty good otherwise.

UIWWildthing
July 23rd, 2008, 10:17 AM
Wow...dead last huh? Guess we'll have to shock the CAA this year! :)

andy7171
July 23rd, 2008, 10:18 AM

Last year was the pits.

appfan2008
July 23rd, 2008, 10:50 AM
interesting jmu is picked to finish second in their own division and yet they are number 2 in many national polls!

andy7171
July 23rd, 2008, 10:53 AM
interesting jmu is picked to finish second in their own division and yet they are number 2 in many national polls!

Pretty sure these are picked by the CAA coaches, and it's not like Richmond isn't hovering inside the top 5 in those same preseason polls.

appfan2008
July 23rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Pretty sure these are picked by the CAA coaches, and it's not like Richmond isn't hovering inside the top 5 in those same preseason polls.

oh i undrstand and not complaining either just find it interesting is all

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2008, 11:00 AM
Here we go...

2008 CAA FOOTBALL PREDICTED ORDER OF FINISH

OVERALL CHAMPION -- Massachusetts

North Division (First Place votes)
1. Massachusetts (17)
2. New Hampshire (1)
3. Hofstra (1)
4. Maine
5. Northeastern
6. Rhode Island

South Division (First Place votes)
1. Richmond (11)
2. James Madison (7)
3. Delaware (1)
4. Villanova
5. William and Mary
6. Towson

93henfan
July 23rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
that's a great shot of The Tub in your sigpic, 93. Good stuff.

Hey, thanks! In the interest of full disclosure, I SO stole this pic from this UD Sports Marketing publication, which coincidentally also contains the first rough rendering of what UD's new video scoreboard will look like: http://www.udel.edu/sportsinfo/UD%20Corporate%20Partnerships.pdf

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 23rd, 2008, 11:04 AM

Last year was the pits.

I'd have to guess that not achieving what was predicted last year definitely came into play with this year's predictions.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 23rd, 2008, 11:08 AM
Wow, hard to believe UNH didn't get more 1st place votes. I have them over UMass for the North due to the "easier" Southern schedule. UMass has UR, JMU and Delaware.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 23rd, 2008, 11:12 AM
Wow, hard to believe UNH didn't get more 1st place votes. I have them over UMass for the North due to the "easier" Southern schedule. UMass has UR, JMU and Delaware.

That's OK, we like that T-E-A-M thing too!

And the guy most deserving to get a 1st place nod, got it. That would be Scott Sicko at TE.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 23rd, 2008, 11:14 AM
Sicko is indeed worthy.

Damn, what a love fest this is turning out to be.

Ok, UNH sucks! There. It's over. :)

WrenFGun
July 23rd, 2008, 11:16 AM
I've mentioned this in other polls, but it just doesn't seem like people take into consideration the upcoming schedule, at least not with UMass or UD, who both have brutal schedules. Umass deserves to be above UNH the way they have manhandled us of late, at least in terms of W-L, but I fully expect UNH to be the North Champion this year.

andy7171
July 23rd, 2008, 11:19 AM
I'd have to guess that not achieving what was predicted last year definitely came into play with this year's predictions.

That and having UR, JMU and UD in the same division. :(

Seriously though, you're completely correct. However massive injuries early in the season depleted our chances on improving from '06s 7-4 season.

89Hen
July 23rd, 2008, 11:20 AM
I've mentioned this in other polls, but it just doesn't seem like people take into consideration the upcoming schedule, at least not with UMass or UD, who both have brutal schedules. Umass deserves to be above UNH the way they have manhandled us of late, at least in terms of W-L, but I fully expect UNH to be the North Champion this year.
Polls and predicted order of finish are completely different. You do have a point in this case. You could easily have UMass ahead of UNH in a poll, but behind them here.

Old Cage
July 23rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
Pre-season standings and all-conference picks:

http://www.gazettenet.com/node/194587

UNHWildCats
July 23rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Here we go...

2008 CAA FOOTBALL PREDICTED ORDER OF FINISH

OVERALL CHAMPION -- Massachusetts

1. Massachusetts (17)
2. New Hampshire (1)
3. Hofstra (1)
4. Maine
5. Northeastern
6. Rhode Island

South Division (First Place votes)
1. Richmond (11)
2. James Madison (7)
3. Delaware (1)
4. Villanova
5. William and Mary
6. Towson
Maybe we can actually beat W&M this year.

saint0917
July 24th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Wow, hard to believe UNH didn't get more 1st place votes.

They did

1. Massachusetts (17)
2. New Hampshire (1)
3. Hofstra (1)

redspider
July 24th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I am very happy with this poll I think it will be a tough season in the South but that we will finish first. This is going to be a very good season for UR but it is tough to top last season we will see if we can do it. What amazes me about last year is that so many of our key veteran players were out yet we still found a way to prevail and the youngsters stepped up. I believe that this is a testemant to both great coaching and great heart and talent in our players. If they stepped up and did that last year as freshman and sophs imagine this year though we do lose Hightower I have faith in our other backs to pick up some of the slack.

One thing I do like though is people will actually be able to see us do it we have the most TV games 6 of them including one on ESPNU vs. UVA. I know we are a big underdog against them but we can always hope cant we I will def be there though heard there stadium is really nice!

89Hen
July 24th, 2008, 10:17 AM
vs. UVA. I know we are a big underdog against them but we can always hope cant we I will def be there though heard there stadium is really nice!
UVA seems to be in a death spiral the last couple years. I still remember listening the UR/UVA game on the radio a few years back when UR had a PAT blocked that would have tied the game in the closing minutes. xoopsx

You will really enjoy Scott Stadium. It's a great place to see a game. This will be our first year in 15 without season tickets. :(

Hoboken Dukes
July 24th, 2008, 11:01 AM
anyone have a list of all the d-1 teams that the CAA teams play this year? be interesting to see how many are potential victories this year.

we definitely have a shot to take down duke this year, and yours truly is definitely looking forward to taking it to the chapel hill social scene.

last year's showing against unc was disappointing if only because we knew we couldn't allow them to score quickly and sure enough 3rd or 4th play of the game a bomb for a td.

would love to see the caa teams get a couple i-a scalps prior to brutal league play.

andy7171
July 24th, 2008, 11:05 AM
UVA seems to be in a death spiral the last couple years. I still remember listening the UR/UVA game on the radio a few years back when UR had a PAT blocked that would have tied the game in the closing minutes. xoopsx

You will really enjoy Scott Stadium. It's a great place to see a game. This will be our first year in 15 without season tickets. :(

Friggin MoCo residents with UVa season tix! xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 24th, 2008, 12:20 PM
They did

1. Massachusetts (17)
2. New Hampshire (1)
3. Hofstra (1)

xconfusedx huh? I said more first place votes.

Husky Alum
July 24th, 2008, 12:29 PM
My Huskies may catch a break with the Southern scheduling if the coaches are right.

We play Nova, Towson and W&M this year, so the scheduling gods are on our side. Then again, we've never won at W&M, so who knows.

If our defense shows us anything, and we can get a running game, I hope we can surprise, but I think we're staring at 4-8 this year.

Rob Iola
July 24th, 2008, 12:35 PM
How will UR's loss of Clawson impact them, especially when Mike London has never been a head coach and spent the last few years as a defensive coordinator - couple that with a new OC/QB coach and I gotta think that there will be some offensive hiccups along the way that will cost them a few losses...

andy7171
July 24th, 2008, 12:46 PM
How will UR's loss of Clawson impact them, especially when Mike London has never been a head coach and spent the last few years as a defensive coordinator - couple that with a new OC/QB coach and I gotta think that there will be some offensive hiccups along the way that will cost them a few losses...

Here's to hoping that hiccup happens week 3!

saint0917
July 24th, 2008, 01:12 PM
xconfusedx huh? I said more first place votes.

Sorry my mistake. :o xwhistlex

Jackman
July 24th, 2008, 03:01 PM
anyone have a list of all the d-1 teams that the CAA teams play this year? be interesting to see how many are potential victories this year.

Every CAA member has a FBS game this year.

Week 1:
Hofstra @UConn
Maine @Iowa
Northeastern @Ball State
Delaware @Maryland
James Madison @Duke
Towson @Navy
Villanova @West Virginia

Week 2:
UNH @Army
Richmond @Virginia
W&M @NC State

Week 4:
UMass @Texas Tech
EDIT: Also Northeastern @Syracuse - thanks jstclmet

Week 5:
URI @Boston College

jstclmet
July 24th, 2008, 03:09 PM

Week 1:
Hofstra @UConn
Maine @Iowa
Northeastern @Ball State
Delaware @Maryland
James Madison @Duke
Towson @Navy
Villanova @West Virginia

Week 2:
UNH @Army
Richmond @Virginia
W&M @NC State

Week 4:
UMass @Texas Tech
**Northeastern @ Syracuse**

Week 5:
URI @Boston College

Northeastern has two FBS games

Hoboken Dukes
July 24th, 2008, 03:51 PM

Week 1:
Hofstra @UConn
Maine @Iowa
Northeastern @Ball State
Delaware @Maryland
James Madison @Duke
Towson @Navy
Villanova @West Virginia

Week 2:
UNH @Army
Richmond @Virginia
W&M @NC State

Week 4:
UMass @Texas Tech

Week 5:
URI @Boston College

thanks for the info. what are people's thoughts on potential victories?

not just being a homer, but best bet is probably jmu over duke. no?

unh @ army maybe.....

delaware could give md a game, but don't think they can stay w/ them. same with 'nova and wvu. umass vs. t-tech?

richmond vs. uva could be a very good game.

ericsaid
July 24th, 2008, 04:51 PM
West Virginia should dominate Villanova, sorry. I don't know much about Villanova or West Virginia. But I know about Pat White and Noel Devine. And the Maryland game I watched last year when WVU blasted UMD. Also the game against OU.

BDKJMU
July 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Since 04'
04' Nova picked 1st, missed playoffs. JMU picked 4th?, finishes 2nd to W&M, wins NC
05' JMU picked 1st, missed playoffs. UR picked 5th, wins South/playoffs
06' UR picked 1st, missed playoffs. JMU picked 2nd, wins South/playoffs
07. JMU picked 1st, finishes 2nd, makes playoffs. UR picked 4th, wins South, playoffs.

UR has 08' preseason #1 curse. 3 of the last 4 years the team picked on the CAA Media Day to win the South has not made the playoffs. (For the record, I am predicting UR to make the playoffs).

jstclmet
July 25th, 2008, 02:20 PM
West Virginia should dominate Villanova, sorry. I don't know much about Villanova or West Virginia. But I know about Pat White and Noel Devine. And the Maryland game I watched last year when WVU blasted UMD. Also the game against OU.

Both Nova & WVU run the same type of offense and the same type of defense. WVU brought in some new wrinkles to help stretch the field and hilight Pat White throwing abilities. WVU returns only 4 starters on def while returning 8 on Offense.

The game may very well be closer than many people think and WVU desires. I wouldn't sleep on Nova if I were you.

paward
July 26th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Since 04'
04' Nova picked 1st, missed playoffs. JMU picked 4th?, finishes 2nd to W&M, wins NC
05' JMU picked 1st, missed playoffs. UR picked 5th, wins South/playoffs
06' UR picked 1st, missed playoffs. JMU picked 2nd, wins South/playoffs
07. JMU picked 1st, finishes 2nd, makes playoffs. UR picked 4th, wins South, playoffs.

UR has 08' preseason #1 curse. 3 of the last 4 years the team picked on the CAA Media Day to win the South has not made the playoffs. (For the record, I am predicting UR to make the playoffs).

In all fairness that UR 06 pick was a bit generous. In 2005 we were a one demensional team, that demension being Stacy Tutt. We had to rebuild in 06. Had a decent season but never should have gotten the first place nod. We are a little more diversed as a team now. I am not sure we will finish first. I do hope that we can make the playoffs.

BDKJMU
July 26th, 2008, 06:33 PM
In all fairness that UR 06 pick was a bit generous. In 2005 we were a one demensional team, that demension being Stacy Tutt. We had to rebuild in 06. Had a decent season but never should have gotten the first place nod. We are a little more diversed as a team now. I am not sure we will finish first. I do hope that we can make the playoffs.

That 06' team still had as I recall 9 starters back on defense (which was pretty good in 05') and 5-6 back on offense (yeah, I know, minus Tutt) from an 05' quarterfinal team. That 06' pick wasn't generous. UR deserves to be picked 1st for the 08' preseason. I think it is going to come down to a 3 way tie with UR, JMU, and Nova at 7-1. We'll see.