PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Valley preseason poll

X-Factor
July 22nd, 2008, 12:23 PM
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=1515425

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=208999&CFID=59419742&CFTOKEN=90468198&jsessionid=8830ebe8db5e1c768121

Go Bison
July 22nd, 2008, 12:25 PM
I think UNI should be the favorite to win the conference. They get to play NDSU at home. What a big game that will be!

RabidRabbit
July 22nd, 2008, 01:07 PM
I'm kind of surprised with the high WIU (4th) selection. I would venture that the Rabbits will be there.

Jackrabbits vs Mo Valley will likely be pretty well established by 9/14 as Youngstown and Western Il will have already played the Jacks in Brookings by then. Jacks 2-0, battling for the top, 1-1, middle of the pack, 0-2, 6th will be right.

smallcollegefbfan
July 22nd, 2008, 02:10 PM
http://www.mvc-sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=39013&SPID=2899&DB_OEM_ID=7600&ATCLID=1515128

Killsback
July 22nd, 2008, 02:18 PM
Of the top 5 teams, Youngstown State has 4 of the five at home which no other school has. Youngstown with its home field advantage could very well take the title because of the favorable schedule.

AmsterBison
July 22nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
I bet every MVFC team is dying to put NDSU in its place - was kind of hoping that NDSU would get ranked a bit lower.

Bison "FANatic"
July 22nd, 2008, 02:37 PM
I think it could be a coin flip between the top 3. You could have put any of them in any of the spots. There is going to be some great football in the valley!!!!!!!!! I for one don't mind the target on our back it means we are well respected and have made some people stand up and take notice of us during the transition. Now we get to go out and let it be decided on the field. We will go into every game expecting to win it. We may not get them all but we will expect to win!!!!!

ericsaid
July 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
I think it could be a coin flip between the top 3. You could have put any of them in any of the spots. There is going to be some great football in the valley!!!!!!!!! I for one don't mind the target on our back it means we are well respected and have made some people stand up and take notice of us during the transition. Now we get to go out and let it be decided on the field. We will go into every game expecting to win it. We may not get them all but we will expect to win!!!!!

Unfourtanently coins only have 2 sides. So I don't think flipping a coin will solve this puzzle. A good match of rock paper scissors however could do the trick. Or maybe rock paper scissors to eliminate one team then flip a coin with the two remaining.xnodx

IMO those polls look about right. UNI has to replace a great quarterback and putting them up top would have been to much.

Bison "FANatic"
July 22nd, 2008, 02:43 PM
Maybe a multiple flipping round robin double elimination tournament!!!!!xlolx xlolx

ericsaid
July 22nd, 2008, 02:55 PM
Maybe a multiple flipping round robin double elimination tournament!!!!!xlolx xlolx

best 3 out of 5 rock paper scissors. Then flip a baby and call head or feet.xthumbsupx xoopsx

Thats a terrible idea.

SO ILLmatic
July 22nd, 2008, 03:55 PM
Im not sure if WIU will be as strong in the early non-conference & conference games without their head coach on the sidelines. The latter point of the season should not be effected by this absence.

This reason, I would think, would make it reasonable to vault SIU & SDSU above them in the preseason poll.

Reed Rothchild
July 22nd, 2008, 04:23 PM
Of the top 5 teams, Youngstown State has 4 of the five at home which no other school has. Youngstown with its home field advantage could very well take the title because of the favorable schedule.

Yes, but they ARE Youngstown and are still without a Mo Valley title.

My choice???

I think SIU takes it all. They have UNI in Carbondale, which is a curse for my Cats, and a new coach who is solid and has some familiarity with a few conference members.

PantherRob82
July 22nd, 2008, 05:44 PM

We run the Ice Castle. xwhistlex :D ;)

PantherRob82
July 22nd, 2008, 05:45 PM
WIU - a real QB -head coach = overrated.

TheBisonator
July 22nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Here's the prediction I still stand by:

1. Northern Iowa
2. North Dakota State
3. Southern Illinois
4. Youngstown State
5. Western Illinois
6. South Dakota State
7. Illinois State
8. Missouri State
9. Indiana State

It's gonna be a FUN season.

JayJ79
July 22nd, 2008, 06:34 PM
The real question is....
will Indiana State be able to win a game this year?

MplsBison
July 22nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Here's the prediction I still stand by:

1. Northern Iowa
2. North Dakota State
3. Southern Illinois
4. Youngstown State
5. Western Illinois
6. South Dakota State
7. Illinois State
8. Missouri State
9. Indiana State

It's gonna be a FUN season.

What do you know, another NDSU fan falling over himself to sandbag as quick as possible.

You'd think the Red was flooding again!

NDSU was voted to win for a good reason.

UND showed us how North Dakota boys treat UNI in the UNI-dome!

penguinfan
July 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM

My choice???

I think SIU takes it all. They have UNI in Carbondale, which is a curse for my Cats, and a new coach who is solid and has some familiarity with a few conference members.

Last time I checked, No team has had the new Mo Valley title in football yet. Also, last time I checked, YSU had two Gateway Football titles.

crunifan
July 22nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
I swear that overrating WIU and underrating SIU has become an annual preseason tradition.

In my opinion:

1) North Dakota State
2) UNI
3) Southern Illinois
4) Youngstown State
5) South Dakota State
6) Western Illinois
7) Missouri State
8) Illinois State
9) Indiana State

MplsBison
July 22nd, 2008, 07:00 PM
Donaldson is as good as they come in FCS RBs.

Barr should be again pretty good for WIU at QB.

The problem with WIU is that they run that same oop-de-oop, ********* defense that Cal Poly does.

WIU's pounding running game will eventually wear out the opposing defense, but it's not an offense that you can win with if your defense can't stop anyone.

Go Bison
July 22nd, 2008, 07:26 PM
What do you know, another NDSU fan falling over himself to sandbag as quick as possible.

You'd think the Red was flooding again!

NDSU was voted to win for a good reason.

What do you know, another stupid post from MplsBison. Somethings never change.

Herdman
July 22nd, 2008, 07:33 PM
I'm kind of surprised with the high WIU (4th) selection. I would venture that the Rabbits will be there.

Jackrabbits vs Mo Valley will likely be pretty well established by 9/14 as Youngstown and Western Il will have already played the Jacks in Brookings by then. Jacks 2-0, battling for the top, 1-1, middle of the pack, 0-2, 6th will be right.
Wow, one win over NDSU in the last...how long??? and Jackrabbit fans think they should be ranked higher in their first legit conference pre-season poll since leaving the NCC? xlolx

Herdman
July 22nd, 2008, 07:40 PM
Im not sure if WIU will be as strong in the early non-conference & conference games without their head coach on the sidelines. The latter point of the season should not be effected by this absence.

This reason, I would think, would make it reasonable to vault SIU & SDSU above them in the preseason poll.WIL still has the same O&D Coordinators and most of the same coaches. They have a solid team that played well last year right up until the UNI game when UNI game them out of their own stadium.

SIU has a completely new staff and lost a number of good players.

SDSU...played in the Great West and finally beat NDSU. They should be just above InSU.

WIU has A LOT to play for this year. If people are going to knock them for not having their HC on the sideline, they have to at least give them credit for having something to play for and be motivated by.

#4 is a good spot for them until they prove otherwise.

Herdman
July 22nd, 2008, 07:41 PM
WIU - a real QB -head coach = overrated.Don't count your chickens...

Houndawg
July 22nd, 2008, 07:41 PM

My choice???

I like your thinking but unfortunately must disagree. SIU has to replace a QB who is in the Bears training camp and while the coaching should be there, switching to a new O and D (spread and 3-4) means there will be some missed assignments early against Hampton, Northwestern, and UNI, all teams that can make you pay for mistakes. I predict we'll be very athletic and fast on defense (six returning starters) with big ?s at QB and WR. We get the core of our O-line back but I can't think of any of our RBs that are great blockers. And we get NDSU on the road.

Houndawg
July 22nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
WIL still has the same O&D Coordinators and most of the same coaches. They have a solid team that played well last year right up until the UNI game when UNI game them out of their own stadium.

SIU has a completely new staff and lost a number of good players.

SDSU...played in the Great West and finally beat NDSU. They should be just above InSU.

WIU has A LOT to play for this year. If people are going to knock them for not having their HC on the sideline, they have to at least give them credit for having something to play for and be motivated by.

#4 is a good spot for them until they prove otherwise.

Not to mention Herb Donaldson and a D that should be able to keep them in a lot of games.

Herdman
July 22nd, 2008, 07:47 PM
Not to mention Herb Donaldson and a D that should be able to keep them in a lot of games.Absolutely right! But then again that is what they thought they could do to UNI last year xnonox ...but for the most part I do agree with you dawg.

I-AA Fan
July 22nd, 2008, 07:52 PM
Last time I checked, No team has had the new Mo Valley title in football yet. Also, last time I checked, YSU had two Gateway Football titles.

Past MVC football champs:

1907 Iowa & Nebraska
1908 Kansas
1909 Missouri
1910 Nebraska
1911 Iowa State & Nebraska
1912 Iowa State & Nebraska
1913 Missouri & Nebraska
1914 Nebraska
1915 Nebraska
1916 Nebraska
1917 Nebraska
1918 No Champion
1919 Missouri
1920 Oklahoma
1921 Nebraska
1922 Nebraska
1923 Nebraska
1924 Missouri
1925 Missouri
1926 Oklahoma A&M
1927 Missouri
1928 Drake
1929 Drake
1930 Drake & Oklahoma A&M
1931 Drake
1932 Oklahoma A&M
1933 Oklahoma A&M
1934 Washington (MO)
1935 Tulsa & Washington (MO)
1936 Creigton & Tulsa
1937 Tulsa
1938 Tulsa
1939 Washington (MO)
1940 Tulsa
1941 Tulsa
1942 Tulsa
1943 Tulsa
1944 Oklahoma A&M
1945 Oklahoma A&M
1946 Tulsa
1947 Tulsa
1948 Oklahoma A&M
1949 Detroit
1950 Tulsa
1951 Tulsa
1952 Houston
1953 Detroit & Oklahoma A&M
1954 Wichita
1955 Detroit & Wichita
1956 Houston
1957 Houston
1958 North Texas State
1959 Houston & North Texas State
1960 Wichita
1961 Wichita
1962 Tulsa
1963 Cincinnati & Wichita
1964 Cincinnati
1965 Tulsa
1966 North Texas State & Tulsa
1967 North Texas State
1968 Memphis State
1969 Memphis State
1970 Louisville
1971 North Texas State
1972 Drake, Louisville, & West Texas State
1973 North Texas State & Tulsa
1974 Tulsa
1975 Tulsa
1976 New Mexico State & Tulsa
1977 West Texas State
1978 New Mexico State
1979 West Texas State
1980 Tulsa
1981 Drake & Tulsa
1982 Tulsa
1983 Tulsa
1984 Tulsa
1985 Tulsa

Youngstown State defeated Drake, West Texas, Detroit, and Cinci when they were members of the MVC, and the Penguins were DII or small college levels.

PantherRob82
July 22nd, 2008, 08:41 PM

The problem with WIU is that they run that same oop-de-oop, ********* defense that Cal Poly does.

WIU's pounding running game will eventually wear out the opposing defense, but it's not an offense that you can win with if your defense can't stop anyone.

Barr sucked last year. We beat them bad at home because of how worthless he is. I'm not sure any of his passes were above the WRs knees. Also, check the rushing stats for that game. I think WIU ran for like 30 yards. I think they had the ball for like 3 mins in the second half.

I dub your analysis as worthless.

PantherRob82
July 22nd, 2008, 08:42 PM
Don't count your chickens...

I'm not just guessing. I watched them 4 times last year. Nothing to be excited about.

TonkaBison
July 22nd, 2008, 08:48 PM
Unfourtanently coins only have 2 sides. So I don't think flipping a coin will solve this puzzle. A good match of rock paper scissors however could do the trick. Or maybe rock paper scissors to eliminate one team then flip a coin with the two remaining.xnodx

IMO those polls look about right. UNI has to replace a great quarterback and putting them up top would have been to much.

Unfortunately, we also have to replace a great QB in Steve Walker. We should know a lot more about Nick Mertens by the time we hit your house. I plan on being there! xpeacex

slostang
July 22nd, 2008, 08:49 PM

Another oop-de-oop, ********* post by MplsBison.xrotatehx xoopsx xrotatehx

Reed Rothchild
July 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM

The Mo Valley football title is not "New". The name is different but the conference name change applies to that of the Gateway. All "Gateway Conference" championships are now Missouri Valley Conference Championships. Of those, you only can lay claim to 1 outright.

douglasdmb
July 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
I think WIU deserves some respect. They were decent at worst last year, and will be returning something like 20 starters this year. Add one of the best tailbacks in all of the FCS in Donaldson, and I think they have the potential to be a playoff team again. Also, Barr can only improve his game from last year.

X-Factor
July 22nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
What is YSU returning and what did they lose from last year? I guess I know the basics but there is always more to it.

BearsCountry
July 22nd, 2008, 09:28 PM
I'll guarantee right now the Bears wont finish 7th or lower.

MplsBison
July 22nd, 2008, 10:11 PM
Barr sucked last year. We beat them bad at home because of how worthless he is. I'm not sure any of his passes were above the WRs knees. Also, check the rushing stats for that game. I think WIU ran for like 30 yards. I think they had the ball for like 3 mins in the second half.

Barr, Donaldson and WIU in general played us pretty tough.

I think they will be even better this year.

Herdman
July 22nd, 2008, 10:32 PM
I'll guarantee right now the Bears wont finish 7th or lower.Yeah, Terry Allen will have the Bears ready to turn the corner and I think only UNI and their fans respects that.

Mountain Panther
July 22nd, 2008, 11:04 PM

That was two years ago, Minnie.

You should drive down for the game.

89rabbit
July 22nd, 2008, 11:24 PM
Wow, one win over NDSU in the last...how long??? and Jackrabbit fans think they should be ranked higher in their first legit conference pre-season poll since leaving the NCC? xlolx

Since the move to FCS, the series between SDSU and NDSU is tied 2 wins for each school (each has won on their home field). Since the Great West forced us up to Fargo two times in a row in '05 and '06, the last win by SDSU (before last season's GWFC Championship game won by the Jackrabbits) was in '04 (The first ever Dakota Marker game).

Thus ends the history leason. xreadx xlolx

BearsCountry
July 22nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
Here is some video from KOLR 10
http://ozarksfirst.com/media_player.php?media_id=71431

crunifan
July 23rd, 2008, 12:05 AM
The Bears have on hell of a coach, that is for sure. He brought UNI a ton of success, and Missouri State has the potential to really go far in the future.

AmsterBison
July 23rd, 2008, 05:33 AM
The Bears have on hell of a coach, that is for sure. He brought UNI a ton of success, and Missouri State has the potential to really go far in the future.

Not sure people know this but NDSU offered Terry Allen the Bison job, but he turned it down and NDSU hired Bohl instead.

I-AA Fan
July 23rd, 2008, 07:05 AM
The Mo Valley football title is not "New". The name is different but the conference name change applies to that of the Gateway. All "Gateway Conference" championships are now Missouri Valley Conference Championships. Of those, you only can lay claim to 1 outright.

Yes, say one or two, but your previous post stated the Penguins had no MVC/Gateway championships ...so make up your mind. Also, I think UNI would lose a couple of their crowns if ties do not apply. Geez ...typical Yankees fan ...thinks the rules do not apply to himself.

Bison77
July 23rd, 2008, 07:18 AM
Not sure people know this but NDSU offered Terry Allen the Bison job, but he turned it down and NDSU hired Bohl instead.

I don't know where you head that but I doubt it. Also Bar for WIU was terrible when we played them. It was after our big win against CM and we played less than stellar but handled them easily.

MplsBison
July 23rd, 2008, 07:31 AM
Barr played pretty well against us and we certainly did not take Western as easily as we did Central.

MplsBison
July 23rd, 2008, 07:33 AM

I will likely be there.

Single game tickets start Aug 1st, correct? Hope the nose bleeds are still a decent seat in the UNI-dome.

Bison77
July 23rd, 2008, 07:41 AM
Barr played pretty well against us and we certainly did not take Western as easily as we did Central.

I was at the game and he was terrible - period.

MplsBison
July 23rd, 2008, 08:15 AM
Being at the game does nothing to lend credibility to your opinion.

slostang
July 23rd, 2008, 08:55 AM

Take it from Mpls, he is the poster child for lacking credibility.xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

RabidRabbit
July 23rd, 2008, 09:00 AM

Jacks and Bison are 2-2 in D-I, each winning on our home field. Gotta admit, Jacks are usually Rodney Dangerfields, especially in football! :p

MplsBison
July 23rd, 2008, 10:36 AM
How about in DII?

NDSU is leading something like 80 something to 40 something?

X-Factor
July 23rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
who cares what the DII series was!

We have the bunnies locked in the scope at the Fargodome November 22 for their biannual 41-something beatdown. xsmiley_wix

RabidRabbit
July 23rd, 2008, 01:08 PM
who cares what the DII series was!

We have the bunnies locked in the scope at the Fargodome November 22 for their biannual 41-something beatdown. xsmiley_wix

Streaks get broken eventually! xsmiley_wix

All I can say "It'll be a WHALE of a GAME" xlolx xlolx

X-Factor
July 23rd, 2008, 02:05 PM
Streaks get broken eventually! xsmiley_wix

All I can say "It'll be a WHALE of a GAME" xlolx xlolx

that it should xlolx

leatherneck177
July 23rd, 2008, 02:34 PM
I swear that overrating WIU and underrating SIU has become an annual preseason tradition.

In my opinion:

1) North Dakota State
2) UNI
3) Southern Illinois
4) Youngstown State
5) South Dakota State
6) Western Illinois
7) Missouri State
8) Illinois State
9) Indiana State

I wouldn't mind an example of when WIU has been overated going into a season....

leatherneck177
July 23rd, 2008, 02:37 PM

I was not aware that one game defines an entire season. If that was the case, our 10-9 loss at home to SIU was the one.

leatherneck177
July 23rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
I was at the game and he was terrible - period.

Agreed, I was at the game as well. It does bring some credibility, seeing a play as opposed to "hearing" a play on the radio. He was not very good, however do not forget that he was a RS freshmen QB with ZERO experience under his belt heading into the season.

Last year's team was great on defense (minus the UNI game), we just lacked experience in some key skill positions.

Bison77
July 23rd, 2008, 02:44 PM

Most of his passes were at the recievers feet and most of the ones caught were short short passes. He had 2 INT's and didn't read our defense at all. But your right he's a stud.

MplsBison
July 23rd, 2008, 02:53 PM
And you're wrong, he isn't terrible.

Far from it.

UNI Pike
July 23rd, 2008, 04:09 PM
Any height / weight minimums for the QB position? Just wondering if that was the measuring stick

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?p=996113#post996113

PantherRob82
July 23rd, 2008, 05:27 PM
Barr, Donaldson and WIU in general played us pretty tough.

I think they will be even better this year.

Remind me of the score? Pretty sure it was 2-3+ TDs.

PantherRob82
July 23rd, 2008, 05:28 PM

No he shouldn't. xcoffeex

Houndawg
July 23rd, 2008, 05:29 PM

SIU's first four games with their new system will be Hampton, Nothwestern (FBS), Northern Iowa, and North Dakota State. Ouch. That has to be the toughest first month in FCS.

PantherRob82
July 23rd, 2008, 05:30 PM
I will likely be there.

Single game tickets start Aug 1st, correct? Hope the nose bleeds are still a decent seat in the UNI-dome.

Seats will be easy unfotunately.

PantherRob82
July 23rd, 2008, 05:31 PM
I wouldn't mind an example of when WIU has been overated going into a season....

this year. You guys will beat InSt and maybe IlSt.

PantherRob82
July 23rd, 2008, 05:32 PM
I was not aware that one game defines an entire season. If that was the case, our 10-9 loss at home to SIU was the one.

If you continue reading, I saw 4 games. They were UNI, YSU, NDSU and SIU.

MplsBison
July 23rd, 2008, 06:23 PM
Remind me of the score? Pretty sure it was 2-3+ TDs.

What does the score have to do with playing us tough?

BearsCountry
July 23rd, 2008, 07:42 PM

I knew that, but he had publically said before that Missouri State was the job he wanted at the FCS level.

bkrownd
July 23rd, 2008, 08:17 PM
It's good to see the venerable "Missouri Valley" name back in football, back on the map over a century after the MVIAA got started! ...although the geography is certainly a bit off nowadays.

Reed Rothchild
July 23rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
Yes, say one or two, but your previous post stated the Penguins had no MVC/Gateway championships ...so make up your mind. Also, I think UNI would lose a couple of their crowns if ties do not apply. Geez ...typical Yankees fan ...thinks the rules do not apply to himself.

I was wrong about the number of YSU titles. Also, the crowns that UNI has were all auto-bids to the playoffs. So, ties only apply when you get the autobid.

skinny_uncle
July 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM
The real question is....
will Indiana State be able to win a game this year?
Not in the conference. They could beat someone like SEMO in their non-conference schedule.

skinny_uncle
July 23rd, 2008, 08:33 PM
SIU's first four games with their new system will be Hampton, Nothwestern (FBS), Northern Iowa, and North Dakota State. Ouch. That has to be the toughest first month in FCS.
We are going to break coach Lennon in right.
xnodx

Reed Rothchild
July 23rd, 2008, 08:38 PM
xnodx

I don't think he'll have a problem. He's a great coach and SIU scares me even more now...

PantherRob82
July 23rd, 2008, 08:54 PM
What does the score have to do with playing us tough?

i don't know. xrolleyesx tough teams usually involves competition. not blow outs.

SO ILLmatic
July 23rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
I like your thinking but unfortunately must disagree. SIU has to replace a QB who is in the Bears training camp and while the coaching should be there, switching to a new O and D (spread and 3-4) means there will be some missed assignments early against Hampton, Northwestern, and UNI, all teams that can make you pay for mistakes. I predict we'll be very athletic and fast on defense (six returning starters) with big ?s at QB and WR. We get the core of our O-line back but I can't think of any of our RBs that are great blockers. And we get NDSU on the road.

Im not worried about the defensive side of ball for the Salukis. To be honest, Im thrilled that Tracey Clays went with Coach Kill to NIU. I dont see the new 3-4 scheme allowing for such soft coverage that has been the Achilles' heel of Saluki defenses in the past.

BearsCountry
July 24th, 2008, 12:22 AM
It's good to see the venerable "Missouri Valley" name back in football, back on the map over a century after the MVIAA got started! ...although the geography is certainly a bit off nowadays.

How is the geography of the Missouri Valley off? Only Youngstown and Indiana State are in states that doesnt border the Missouri River.

crunifan
July 24th, 2008, 12:54 AM
How is the geography of the Missouri Valley off? Only Youngstown and Indiana State are in states that doesnt border the Missouri River.

I think he meant from the early teams of the MVC...which still makes no sense, considering the MVC has always been a Midwestern conference. Kansas, Iowa, Iowa State all were in it before, now its Drake, UNI, Wichita State etc.

JayJ79
July 24th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Seats will be easy unfotunately.

what makes you say that?

Bison77
July 24th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Agreed, I was at the game as well. It does bring some credibility, seeing a play as opposed to "hearing" a play on the radio. He was not very good, however do not forget that he was a RS freshmen QB with ZERO experience under his belt heading into the season.

Last year's team was great on defense (minus the UNI game), we just lacked experience in some key skill positions.

Great venue - it was hot as hell and you guys ran out of water by half time. Had to go back to our vehicle and drink some beer. I think it was homecoming but the kids left at half time and didn't come back. They were partying hard on the hill. Stopped at the Dog Pound on the way out of town and damn near didn't leave - great place! xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
July 24th, 2008, 05:30 PM
what makes you say that?

We didn't sell 16k season tix.

onbison09
July 24th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I hope the Bison win it but it's going to be a heck of a year.

JayJ79
July 24th, 2008, 06:54 PM
We didn't sell 16k season tix.

And we never will.
You're right. Single game tickets won't be difficult to obtain if someone is buying them weeks ahead of time. Though I do think it is possible that the NDSU game could sell out if both teams get off to a good start this season.

MplsBison
July 24th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I think the NDSU/SDSU/UNI triangular rivalry will be one of the best in the MVFC and nation.

I think all 3 sets of games will sell out, no matter where they're being played.

ASU33
July 24th, 2008, 07:25 PM
The Gateway had a name change?xconfusedx

NDSUFREAK
July 24th, 2008, 07:26 PM
The Gateway had a name change?xconfusedx

xdohx xdohx xdohx xdohx xdohx

NDSUFREAK
July 24th, 2008, 07:32 PM
xnodx

yeah...and we are going to welcome him to 19,000 rowdy funs who want to see the team he coaches now lose very badly xlolx

im just sayin

PantherRob82
July 24th, 2008, 07:54 PM
And we never will.
You're right. Single game tickets won't be difficult to obtain if someone is buying them weeks ahead of time. Though I do think it is possible that the NDSU game could sell out if both teams get off to a good start this season.

It could. I'm just sure a LOT of Bison fans will get tickets when they go on sale and not wait.

cowbellnation
July 24th, 2008, 08:53 PM
SDSU must be having a very good summer for tickets, apparently the Grandstand tickets (or Reserved Section) is almost sold out for the Beef Bowl against Western Illinois, and its only July! All I can say is we have come a long ways, and I am proud of what our university has accomplished during this D1 transition. I agree the SDSU/NDSU/UNI rivalry series will be a great one.

McNeese75
July 24th, 2008, 08:59 PM
SDSU must be having a very good summer for tickets, apparently the Grandstand tickets (or Reserved Section) is almost sold out for the Beef Bowl against Western Illinois, and its only July! All I can say is we have come a long ways, and I am proud of what our university has accomplished during this D1 transition. I agree the SDSU/NDSU/UNI rivalry series will be a great one.

How are Hobo Day sales going???? :D

Houndawg
July 24th, 2008, 10:48 PM
yeah...and we are going to welcome him to 19,000 rowdy funs who want to see the team he coaches now lose very badly xlolx

im just sayin

He may already be 0-3 or 1-2 when he gets there.xbawlingx Who does NDSU play the week before SIU?

bisonguy
July 24th, 2008, 10:55 PM
He may already be 0-3 or 1-2 when he gets there.xbawlingx Who does NDSU play the week before SIU?

@ Youngstown

Houndawg
July 24th, 2008, 11:06 PM
@ Youngstown

Damn. I'd hate to play you on your homecoming after a road loss @YSU.

jmc_jackrabbit
July 25th, 2008, 11:32 AM
How are Hobo Day sales going???? :D

There'll be 15,000+ there. Don't worry. We're looking forward to having McNeese come visit.

skinny_uncle
July 25th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Im not worried about the defensive side of ball for the Salukis. To be honest, Im thrilled that Tracey Clays went with Coach Kill to NIU. I dont see the new 3-4 scheme allowing for such soft coverage that has been the Achilles' heel of Saluki defenses in the past.

The Saluki D should be good with six starters back. The offense should be OK if one of the new guys can step in successfully at QB. The core of the offensive line is back along with a whole stable of running backs. Deji Karim is listed #4 on the depth chart and he averaged 5.1 yds/carry last year.

bisonguy
July 25th, 2008, 02:30 PM

Hopefully it's not a L, but many in the Bison nation believe Youngstown will be one.

TonkaBison
July 25th, 2008, 02:52 PM
It could. I'm just sure a LOT of Bison fans will get tickets when they go on sale and not wait.

I'll be in Seattle but I plan on calling in and picking up my 5 tickets. Trust me you will see a lot of green in the stands! No wearing yellow that day!!

Benne
July 25th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Hopefully it's not a L, but many in the Bison nation believe Youngstown will be one.

That and a home game at the end of the season, and you get to travel to Missoula again.

MplsBison
July 25th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Doubtful.

Whoever wins the Big Sky will undoubtably be traveling to Fargo for the first round.

NDB
July 25th, 2008, 03:05 PM
and you get to travel to Missoula again.

already, benne.

that's it.

you're fired.

pack up your sh%t and go home.

X-Factor
July 25th, 2008, 03:10 PM
That and a home game at the end of the season, and you get to travel to Missoula again.

Chances are if you make the playoffs you'll be traveling. We are more than likely hosting if we make the playoffs.

Houndawg
July 25th, 2008, 04:02 PM

I hope you squeak it out but it takes so much out of you that you're flat the next game:D .

McNeese75
July 25th, 2008, 04:12 PM
There'll be 15,000+ there. Don't worry. We're looking forward to having McNeese come visit.

xthumbsupx Anything I need to bring other than my cowbell :D

X-Factor
July 25th, 2008, 04:35 PM
I hope you squeak it out but it takes so much out of you that you're flat the next game:D .

You should drive/fly up for the game. Some great tailgating will be going on and i'm positive you will be greeted with a warm welcome as long as your not wearing kelly green and white or talk too much about your coaches ex-employer!

I'm still of the opinion that the dawgs are due for some payback for being the last team to shut us out xsmiley_wix

Jacks02
July 25th, 2008, 04:47 PM
xthumbsupx Anything I need to bring other than my cowbell :D

Your drinking hat, we like to tie one on for Hobo Day.

Come up a day early and hit the bars, you won't regret it!

Houndawg
July 25th, 2008, 06:38 PM
You should drive/fly up for the game. Some great tailgating will be going on and i'm positive you will be greeted with a warm welcome as long as your not wearing kelly green and white or talk too much about your coaches ex-employer!

I'm still of the opinion that the dawgs are due for some payback for being the last team to shut us out xsmiley_wix

Thank you for the invitation, but Saturday is a work day for me.:(

PantherRob82
July 25th, 2008, 06:52 PM

we don't lose at ysu, why should they. ;)

PantherRob82
July 25th, 2008, 06:54 PM

Give me a year, I'll be there!

Houndawg
July 25th, 2008, 07:38 PM

We're either going to be battle-tested or badly beat up by the time we meet. They're certainly playing it close to the vest here, though. Don't see much coverage in the media and the only time I've seen Lennon was at Crazy Joe's fish house. There was a quote about him being surprised to see us picked fifth, I think he's starting the we don't get no respect thing early.

NDSUFREAK
July 25th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Give me a year, I'll be there!

rob, you can come to fargo.....how about not this year, but the next year?? :D :D xlolx

NDSUFREAK
July 25th, 2008, 07:57 PM

it doesn't matter if NDSU played the longest and hardest fought game the world has ever seen....coming out flat against Lennon WILL NOT happen. His ass is gonna get booed by 19,000+ and student section will make him cry xlolx xlolx xlolx not to mention a beating from a pretty good team :D

Houndawg
July 25th, 2008, 08:06 PM
it doesn't matter if NDSU played the longest and hardest fought game the world has ever seen....coming out flat against Lennon WILL NOT happen. His ass is gonna get booed by 19,000+ and student section will make him cry xlolx xlolx xlolx not to mention a beating from a pretty good team :D

He beat you that bad?xeekx

slostang
July 25th, 2008, 08:07 PM

I am sure he and SIU will face a very hostile crowd in Fargo, but Lennon is a very good coach (with a very good staff) and SIU is a very talented team. I think the Bison will be favored because it is in Fargo, but I do not think it will be a cake walk for them.

PantherRob82
July 25th, 2008, 09:01 PM
I make almost every game. Fargo will not be missed.

TheBisonator
July 25th, 2008, 10:17 PM

It's not so much that he beat us, it's that our former coach (Babich) didn't know how to beat him.

NDSUFREAK
July 25th, 2008, 10:36 PM

Bisonator's response was correct, along with the fact he used to coach the sue

NDSUFREAK
July 25th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I am sure he and SIU will face a very hostile crowd in Fargo, but Lennon is a very good coach (with a very good staff) and SIU is a very talented team. I think the Bison will be favored because it is in Fargo, but I do not think it will be a cake walk for them.

im not saying its gonna be a cake walk. we're gonna try and make it a cake walk with the circumstances at hand. homecoming, SIU, and Lennon. I think it would rival the SDSU atmosphere 2 years ago..and THAT was intense.

Chi Panther
July 26th, 2008, 01:02 AM
This thread just got me soo excited, I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight.

Gonna be an exciting year.

Regarding last year...I have no idea how the WIU vs SIU game was soo close after watching the UNI at WIU game. That UNI at WIU game might have been the most dominating performance I have ever seen UNI give.

I'm nervous for the UNI at YSU game this year.

I also find it hard to believe that SIU is predicted 5th.

BearsCountry
July 26th, 2008, 02:09 AM
This thread just got me soo excited, I don't think I will be able to sleep tonight.

Regarding last year...I have no idea how the WIU vs SIU game was soo close after watching the UNI at WIU game. That UNI at WIU game might have been the most dominating performance I have ever seen UNI give.

WIU was a jekyl and hyde team. Heck they almost gave Indiana State a win last year.

Houndawg
July 26th, 2008, 03:54 AM

No doubt that the WIU we played was a different team than the one you played. I think Donaldson was over 100 yards in the first half against us but got only about 30 in the 2nd half including 7 in the 4th qtr. Strange game.

MSUBear42
July 26th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Donaldson ripped us a new one last year

T-Dog
July 26th, 2008, 07:34 AM
The schedule clearly favors YSU as they get UNI, SIU and NDSU @ home. If they step it up, it's there's to lose. If not, it'll one of the three listed above as I'm not so sure on Western Illinois. Each play home and away with the other two so it'll come down to who can step it up and win that big road game. If WIU steps up and makes a case, they'll have a shot as they got UNI and YSU at home.

So to make sense out of all that, I think it all comes down to

a) If YSU can hold serve at home
b) Who wins a road game in the UNI/SIU/NDSU traingle
c) How each of the previously mentioned four go against WIU.
d) The aforementioned top teams avoiding rivalry upsets among the predicted bottom half (NDSU/SDSU for example)

This could very easily be a cluster at the top like the SoCon was last year. If one teams steps up and wins outright, they should be one of the seeds and one of the Nat'l Title favorites.

JayJ79
July 26th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Heck they almost gave Indiana State a win last year.

Well, the Bears are familiar with giving Indiana State a win. ;op
(since they're the only team to have done that since halfway through the 2004 season)

MSUBear42
July 26th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Well... we were also 2-9 that season ;)

Reed Rothchild
July 26th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Well, the Bears are familiar with giving Indiana State a win. ;op
(since they're the only team to have done that since halfway through the 2004 season)

Unfortunately, so are the Panthers xmadx

Houndawg
July 26th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Donaldson ripped us a new one last year

He ripped us a new one in the first half. We ripped him him a new one in the second half. The dude is a stud, and with WIU having, I think, all it's starters back, they may not be very overrated. My pick for MVFC team to do better than expected? MSU.

JayJ79
July 26th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Unfortunately, so are the Panthers xmadx

That's true. The Sycamores did beat the Panthers once in the last 17 seasons, which was a 2 point win in 2002. But ISU was 5-7 that year. Not quite the same thing.

bisonwest
July 26th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I'm really excited about this upcoming year! The Valley is absolutely stacked. This is how I see it;

1. North Dakota State
2. Northern Iowa
3. Southern Illinois
4. South Dakota State
5. Youngstown
6. Western Illinois
7. Illinois State
8. Missouri State
9. Indiana State

I'm mostly happy with the poll they came out with, but 6 is too low for the Jacks, the MVFC will find them to be an very formidable foe. The key for the Jacks will be to not stumble out of the blocks as has been the case in recent years. But the real battle will be against NDSU and UNI for the top spot. I think it's pretty much a toss up between the two but I think the Panthers lost a few more to graduation(and I'm somewhat of a homer) Anyways the game on Oct 18th should be a great one, and I'm thinking that the Bison fans will be coming down in droves!! WILL YOU BE THERE?

Mountain Panther
July 26th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I'm really excited about this upcoming year! The Valley is absolutely stacked. This is how I see it;

1. North Dakota State
2. Northern Iowa
3. Southern Illinois
4. South Dakota State
5. Youngstown
6. Western Illinois
7. Illinois State
8. Missouri State
9. Indiana State

I'm mostly happy with the poll they came out with, but 6 is too low for the Jacks, the MVFC will find them to be an very formidable foe. The key for the Jacks will be to not stumble out of the blocks as has been the case in recent years. But the real battle will be against NDSU and UNI for the top spot. I think it's pretty much a toss up between the two but I think the Panthers lost a few more to graduation(and I'm somewhat of a homer) Anyways the game on Oct 18th should be a great one, and I'm thinking that the Bison fans will be coming down in droves!! WILL YOU BE THERE?

I hope you don't plan on handing it off to Roehl every time...our defense specialized in stopping that last year.

What hurt us was a mobile QB who could throw on the run. But I would think that was a focus of improvement in the off season. I really need to fly back for this game.

SO ILLmatic
July 27th, 2008, 12:08 AM
What Fox Sports station do the residents of North Dakota pick up? We have Fox Sports Midwest and they usually show a Gateway game of the week. But it is not always the live feed. Or any other network that carries the Bison football games.

Just wondering if Saluki fans might have a chance of catching NDSU's Homecoming game on TV. I would like to make the jaunt up to Fargo, but with gas prices/airfare/the chance of getting tickets on the 1st - its appears that it would be easier to watch the game on the tube.

Thundar
July 27th, 2008, 12:24 AM
What Fox Sports station do the residents of North Dakota pick up? We have Fox Sports Midwest and they usually show a Gateway game of the week. But it is not always the live feed. Or any other network that carries the Bison football games.

Just wondering if Saluki fans might have a chance of catching NDSU's Homecoming game on TV. I would like to make the jaunt up to Fargo, but with gas prices/airfare/the chance of getting tickets on the 1st - its appears that it would be easier to watch the game on the tube.

I would say this will be Local NBC for sure, with a big possibility of FSN-North picking it up!! But live would be the best for youxthumbsupx

bisonguy
July 27th, 2008, 01:13 AM

NDSU has webcast all home games in previous years, but don't know how the MoValley will handle it now. Previously, you could get a one month pass for something like $10 that would allow you to watch any live NDSU events and the archived games as well.

NDSUFREAK
July 27th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I hope you don't plan on handing it off to Roehl every time...our defense specialized in stopping that last year.

What hurt us was a mobile QB who could throw on the run. But I would think that was a focus of improvement in the off season. I really need to fly back for this game.

Not EVERY time...we have other backs that will change up the type of running ;)

PantherRob82
July 27th, 2008, 11:55 AM

There is a visitor section, so you do have a chance at tix.

Gully
July 27th, 2008, 06:27 PM
What a brutal conference. This should be an absolute battle. UNI, YSU, SIU, NDSU, SDSU, and WIU should all be tough. I'll be very surprised if anybody makes it through unbeaten. If things play out as I expect and selections are done fairly, there should be 4 playoff teams from this conference.

PantherRob82
July 27th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I think SDSU is on the up and up. They could make some noise.

MplsBison
July 27th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I also think that with the new end zone facility and some work on Caughlin, SDSU could be a yearly top 15 team.

MSUBear42
July 27th, 2008, 09:31 PM

Fox Sports North?

TheBisonator
July 27th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Fox Sports North?

Yes, ND and SD residents get FSN North.

mmiller_34
July 28th, 2008, 01:32 AM
I also think that with the new end zone facility and some work on Caughlin, SDSU could be a yearly top 15 team.

SDSU could be a top 15 team regardless of stadium work xcoffeex

MplsBison
July 28th, 2008, 07:59 AM
SDSU could be a top 15 team regardless of stadium work xcoffeex

Not consistantly.

mmiller_34
July 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Not consistantly.

prove it. xeyebrowx

MplsBison
July 28th, 2008, 02:24 PM
prove it. xeyebrowx

Last 40 years.

And it's irrelevent anyway. SDSU is building a new end zone facility that they desperately need. No more meetings in trailers.

mmiller_34
July 28th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Last 40 years.

wow i really thought we were talking about the present time here

BearsCountry
July 28th, 2008, 02:40 PM
wow i really thought we were talking about the present time here

No he lives in the past. Doesnt matter that SDSU has done more since moving up than what they did in D2.

MplsBison
July 28th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Consistant greatness requires facilities. Without them, you can't recruit great coaches to replace the ones who eventually move on and you can't recruit great players to replace the ones who eventually move on.

Houndawg
July 28th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Consistant greatness requires facilities. Without them, you can't recruit great coaches to replace the ones who eventually move on and you can't recruit great players to replace the ones who eventually move on.

Nonsense. SIU has being doing just that since the end of last century, and there ain't a lousier FCS facility than McAndrew stadium.

Cap'n Cat
July 28th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Northern Iowa goes undefeated in conference for the bazillionth time, gets the auto and loses in the first round at home to Idaho State.

xnodx

Houndawg
July 28th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Northern Iowa goes undefeated in conference for the bazillionth time, gets the auto and loses in the first round at home to Idaho State.

xnodx

No way you're undefeated in conference. You're going to have a long quiet ride back from Carbondale.

Benne
July 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I'm pretty sure his closing remark qualifies the statement as utter BS. But hey, you never know.

NDSUFREAK
July 28th, 2008, 06:04 PM

xnodx

xlolx xlolx xlolx
AYE AYE CAP'N!!

PantherRob82
July 28th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Not consistantly.

Where's the BS Flag smilie?

PantherRob82
July 28th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Nonsense. SIU has being doing just that since the end of last century, and there ain't a lousier FCS facility than McAndrew stadium.

Agreed

jmc_jackrabbit
July 28th, 2008, 06:36 PM

“One of the things (Coach John Stiegelmeier) said was you don’t hug your locker when you leave, and I do think that’s true,” Winona Cotter Senior QB, SDSU recruit Thomas O’Brien said

Translation: Some student athletes are attracted to the school or the coach or the other players or the recent tradition. It's not all shiny new buildings or impressive stadiums.

Oh, and in four years in FCS, SDSU, despite being unable to "consistantly" [sic] recruit, is 2-2 against the Bison.

TbonZach
July 28th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Translation: Some student athletes are attracted to the school or the coach or the other players or the recent tradition. It's not all shiny new buildings or impressive stadiums.

Oh, and in four years in FCS, SDSU, despite being unable to "consistantly" [sic] recruit, is 2-2 against the Bison.

And that's home/away respectively - which gives more credit to that. SDSU (or NDSU for that matter) may not have the nicest facilities, but they sure as hell win on their home turf.

MplsBison
July 28th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Some student athletes are attracted to the school or the coach or the other players or the recent tradition. It's not all shiny new buildings or impressive stadiums.

Just at the consistently top 15 teams.

MSUBear42
July 28th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Yes, ND and SD residents get FSN North.

Sweet. So MVFC games will be on FSN Midwest, Comcast Chicago, and maybe FSN North?

I really hope they did away with the stupid freaking tape delay

douglasdmb
July 28th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Sweet. So MVFC games will be on FSN Midwest, Comcast Chicago, and maybe FSN North?

I'm pretty sure, according to the MVFC news release about the TV schedule, that all of the Valley games this year will be shown live.

BisonBacker
July 28th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I'm pretty sure, according to the MVFC news release about the TV schedule, that all of the Valley games this year will be shown live.

Sweet xthumbsupx

BisonBacker
July 28th, 2008, 10:46 PM
“One of the things (Coach John Stiegelmeier) said was you don’t hug your locker when you leave, and I do think that’s true,” Winona Cotter Senior QB, SDSU recruit Thomas O’Brien said

4 years does not make a dynasty nor does it warrant or lend credibility to any pattern. Yes you have done well but don't hang your hat on 2 wins xnonox

RabidRabbit
July 29th, 2008, 08:06 AM
4 years does not make a dynasty nor does it warrant or lend credibility to any pattern. Yes you have done well but don't hang your hat on 2 wins xnonox

Jacks won't hang their hats on two NDSU wins, just like NDSU won't hang their hats on extending their 41 year non-losing streak in Fargo to the Jacks. Each team is looking at that game with the goal of being 1-0 for the Dakota Marker.

Likewise, in Jacks intro to Gateway (as known last year) they were a resounding 0-3 (1-3, if include NDSU) last year. So Jacks will have to show that they are a top 25 team, not a number 6 out of 9 pick. If Jacks go 8-4 with their murderous schedule this year, they will likely be in the play-offs. But they will need to be a lot more 1-0 for the week, than 0-1.

NDSUFREAK
July 29th, 2008, 12:21 PM

FSNN is doing a tape delay of NDSU/UNI...just saying

edit....but college sports is live

X-Factor
July 29th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Well does anyone know what to expect from Youngstown this year? They had a few fans when I first posted this thread, and now they have magically disappeared. All I know is that I'm not excited to see the Bison traveling to YSU this fall.

da_bears
July 29th, 2008, 04:43 PM
here is how i see it going down
1) UNI
2) ND State
3) YSU
4) SIU
5) Mo State
6) SD State
7) W. Ill
8) Ill. State
9) Ind. State

MplsBison
July 29th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Well does anyone know what to expect from Youngstown this year? They had a few fans when I first posted this thread, and now they have magically disappeared. All I know is that I'm not excited to see the Bison traveling to YSU this fall.

They've been trying to find what they lost when Tressel left. Sadly for YSU, I think it was him.

douglasdmb
July 29th, 2008, 06:58 PM
They've been trying to find what they lost when Tressel left. Sadly for YSU, I think it was him.

You're right, they were only one win away from the freakin' National Title Game two years ago. Without Tressel, they might as well pack in the whole football program.

xwhistlex

NDSUFREAK
July 29th, 2008, 07:08 PM
You're right, they were only one win away from the freakin' National Title Game two years ago. Without Tressel, they might as well pack in the whole football program.

xwhistlex

yeah, ignore his stupidity

crunifan
July 29th, 2008, 07:57 PM
All I know is that Youngstown State has never beaten UNI under Farley's watch, and I hope that this year continues the tradition. Because Lord knows that when the Penguins finally do beat UNI, us Panther fans are in for it. xlolx

JayJ79
July 29th, 2008, 08:15 PM
All I know is that Youngstown State has never beaten UNI under Farley's watch, and I hope that this year continues the tradition. Because Lord knows that when the Penguins finally do beat UNI, us Panther fans are in for it. xlolx

And Farley has never coached a team in the playoffs during an even-numbered year. I don't care if the YSU streak ends if he can break the even-year hex.

Of course, I'd be happy if UNI could make the playoffs in this even-numbered year, AND stretch the YSU streak to 8, AND finally win a game in Carbondale for the first time since 1996. But anyway.

PantherRob82
July 29th, 2008, 09:07 PM
And Farley has never coached a team in the playoffs during an even-numbered year. I don't care if the YSU streak ends if he can break the even-year hex.

Of course, I'd be happy if UNI could make the playoffs in this even-numbered year, AND stretch the YSU streak to 8, AND finally win a game in Carbondale for the first time since 1996. But anyway.

quoted for truth.

Houndawg
July 29th, 2008, 09:16 PM
.... AND finally win a game in Carbondale for the first time since 1996. But anyway.

This may be your best chance for a while because of the ? at QB. I'm warning you though, our D will be fast.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Of course it will be fast. You'll have 6 basketball players on the field in Bubba's 3-4 scheme.

When you run into a hard, up the middle running game, such as NDSU, SDSU and WIU possess, you're going to be in for some trouble.

You'll do great against the chuck n' duck schemes of UNI, YSU and MSU.

PantherRob82
July 29th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Of course it will be fast. You'll have 6 basketball players on the field in Bubba's 3-4 scheme.

When you run into a hard, up the middle running game, such as NDSU, SDSU and WIU possess, you're going to be in for some trouble.

UNI has a pretty strong running game. xconfusedx

Corey Lewis

First Team All-Gateway - 2007
Sports Network Honorable Mention All-America - 2007

2007: First-team all-Gateway running back ... Gateway all-academic honoree ... honorable mention All-America pick by The Sports Network ... set the single-season Panther rushing record with 1,513 yards, which also was the ninth-highest single-season total in Gateway history

PantherRob82
July 29th, 2008, 09:44 PM
UNI vs Western Illinois
|---RUSHING---|
Date Opponent No. Yds TD Lg
Oct 20, 2007 at Western Illinois.... 66 355 5 22

NDSU vs WIU
NET YARDS RUSHING............. 204

JayJ79
July 29th, 2008, 09:50 PM
This may be your best chance for a while because of the ? at QB. I'm warning you though, our D will be fast.

Frankenstein never scared me.
The Saluki defense does....
cuz they're FAST :p

WIUFan
July 29th, 2008, 10:18 PM
WIU never gets any respect. Maybe its the small media market, maybe its the number of posters on this board who represent other schools. Here is my rundown:

1) Western Illinois Univeristy
2) ND State
3) UNI
4) MSU
5) SD State
6) YSU
7) SIU
8) Ill. State
9) Ind. State

Yes, I'm a fan, but I have my reasons:

1) This is Donaldson's last year, so he will be hungry.
2) Barr was passing at the end of the year, and getting more and more effective. I expect major improvement this year.
3) They are returning 18 of their starters.
4) It will be an emotional season with Patterson out in the beginning, and the OC will be taking over at coach, which could lead to more diverse playcalling.
5) WIU was close to breaking through last year, and failure to make the playoffs hinged on a couple plays. I see these plays going Western's way this year with all of the experience.
6) Shure things went bad in the second half against UNI... but that was an exception instead of the norm. And, UNI will play in Macomb again this year because of the addition of the xDSUs.
7) The close losses last year against YSU and SIU will give the team a chip on their shoulders.

8) This is the year to make a run, and the players know it. There is a lot to play for. We have been building for this year.

90BISON
July 30th, 2008, 12:54 AM
WIU never gets any respect. Maybe its the small media market, maybe its the number of posters on this board who represent other schools. Here is my rundown:

2) ND State
3) UNI
4) MSU
5) SD State
6) YSU
7) SIU
8) Ill. State
9) Ind. State

2) Barr was passing at the end of the year, and getting more and more effective. I expect major improvement this year.
4) It will be an emotional season with Patterson out in the beginning, and the OC will be taking over at coach, which could lead to more diverse playcalling.
5) WIU was close to breaking through last year, and failure to make the playoffs hinged on a couple plays. I see these plays going Western's way this year with all of the experience.
6) Shure things went bad in the second half against UNI... but that was an exception instead of the norm. And, UNI will play in Macomb again this year because of the addition of the xDSUs.
7) The close losses last year against YSU and SIU will give the team a chip on their shoulders.

8) This is the year to make a run, and the players know it. There is a lot to play for. We have been building for this year.

The only problem I see with that, is so have probably half the teams on your list. Just change the names of the players around and put some different color uniforms on them.xwhistlex

PantherRob82
July 30th, 2008, 06:48 AM

2) ND State
3) UNI
4) MSU
5) SD State
6) YSU
7) SIU
8) Ill. State
9) Ind. State

What a joke. The whole game against UNI went bad. You guys never had a chance. Donaldson being a senior doesn't make him or your o-line any better. If he wasn't hungry before, he won't be now.

The Patterson issue could be more of a negative. They may be more fired up at first, but it could be an emotional high that bottoms out. I think 5th place is high for WIU, first place is rediculous.

MplsBison
July 30th, 2008, 08:08 AM
UNI vs Western Illinois
|---RUSHING---|
Date Opponent No. Yds TD Lg
Oct 20, 2007 at Western Illinois.... 66 355 5 22

NDSU vs WIU
NET YARDS RUSHING............. 204

What does that have to do with the new 3-4 scheme that SIU will be running this year?

Bubba has seen his fair share of pass happy teams who try to spread out defenses.

It's a common theme that NSIC DII teams often try to make up for a lack of talent.

Houndawg
July 30th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Bubba's 3-4 will be manned by Jerry Kills recruits. Kill learned from AppState that speed trumps size. WIU had the same running game last year, Donaldson gained over 100 yds in the first half, yet, against the smaller Salukis he was held to 30 yds, in the 2nd half, including a whopping 7 yds. in the 4th qtr. And if you think UNI is chuck and duck, then your football IQ is pretty feeble, no offense.

Houndawg
July 30th, 2008, 11:42 AM
What does that have to do with the new 3-4 scheme that SIU will be running this year?

Bubba has seen his fair share of pass happy teams who try to spread out defenses.

Seems to work for App State.

Houndawg
July 30th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Frankenstein never scared me.
The Saluki defense does....
cuz they're FAST :p

Save this post Jay, I'll be referring you to it in about a month and a half.:D

Khan4Cats
July 30th, 2008, 11:47 AM

It's a common theme that NSIC DII teams often try to make up for a lack of talent.

Well, you were the one who made the claim that UNI was a "chuck and duck" team. He just pointed out that the vaunted NDSU rushing attack didn't come close to putting the same yardage up against WIU as the apparently pass-happy Panthers. I think Sanders may have attempted 10 or fewer passes in that game.

Go ahead, think UNI is one-dimensional. We can load an offensive line with 5 300+ lb monsters, a 280+ lb TE, and a 260 lb FB lead blocker and steamroll you, or we can switch to 3, 4 or 5 wide sets and slice and dice. Our bigger problem always seems to be deciding to go away from something that is working to try something new for a few series and getting out of a rhythm.

I-AA Fan
July 30th, 2008, 12:08 PM

YSU chuck 'n' duck? You had better learn about the teams in your new conference. Unless you have seen the new YSU offense that they have yet to begin working on in camp. YSU invented the term "smash-mouth". They have not had a QB that could truly pass since 1997 (and he almost never did). Nor have they needed one with their offense. The Penguins traditionally have the strongest middle/off-tackle run game in the conference ...if not the nation. Marcus Mason was runner-up for the Payton award and I doubt he ran more than a yard outside the tackles 6-times all year. Up until last year, WIU has not had a hard-nosed run game in about 4-years. The last time they were consistently successful as well. They run out of the pass, as does the Dakotas.

Cap'n Cat
July 30th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Well, you were the one who made the claim that UNI was a "chuck and duck" team. He just pointed out that the vaunted NDSU rushing attack didn't come close to putting the same yardage up against WIU as the apparently pass-happy Panthers. I think Sanders may have attempted 10 or fewer passes in that game.

Go ahead, think UNI is one-dimensional. We can load an offensive line with 5 300+ lb monsters, a 280+ lb TE, and a 260 lb FB lead blocker and steamroll you, or we can switch to 3, 4 or 5 wide sets and slice and dice. Our bigger problem always seems to be deciding to go away from something that is working to try something new for a few series and getting out of a rhythm.

The guy's a dork, Khan. I was on the sidelines for that game and it was nothing short of coaching brilliance. Why pass when you can run? WIU was outcoached badly.

JayJ79
July 30th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Save this post Jay, I'll be referring you to it in about a month and a half.:D

The Saluki D does scare me, as does their offense. Or more accurately, I should say that I respect the ability of SIU.

Just like you should fear/respect UNI football.
Doesn't mean that either of us has lost faith in our own teams.

I just couldn't resist the quote. (which is only funny if you've heard that comedy bit)

appfan2008
July 30th, 2008, 12:19 PM
this may be the most powerful conference this year ahead of the caa and the socon...

NDB
July 30th, 2008, 12:28 PM
YSU chuck 'n' duck? You had better learn about the teams in your new conference. Unless you have seen the new YSU offense that they have yet to begin working on in camp. YSU invented the term "smash-mouth". They have not had a QB that could truly pass since 1997 (and he almost never did). Nor have they needed one with their offense. The Penguins traditionally have the strongest middle/off-tackle run game in the conference ...if not the nation. Marcus Mason was runner-up for the Payton award and I doubt he ran more than a yard outside the tackles 6-times all year. Up until last year, WIU has not had a hard-nosed run game in about 4-years. The last time they were consistently successful as well. They run out of the pass, as does the Dakotas.

you guys are a bunch of ladies.

the sheer fact that MplsBison is a fan of NDSU makes us unstoppable.

:D

MplsBison
July 30th, 2008, 01:25 PM
YSU chuck 'n' duck?

Well, only to the limit that Zetts could run around and wing the ball in the general area of a red uniform.

So mostly duck.

MplsBison
July 30th, 2008, 01:26 PM
YSU chuck 'n' duck?

Well, only to the limit that Zetts could run around and wing the ball in the general area of a red uniform.

So mostly duck.

I see why he had a 20s number. Would've been a fine RB.

Houndawg
July 30th, 2008, 01:31 PM
The Saluki D does scare me, as does their offense. Or more accurately, I should say that I respect the ability of SIU.

Just like you should fear/respect UNI football.
Doesn't mean that either of us has lost faith in our own teams.

I just couldn't resist the quote. (which is only funny if you've heard that comedy bit)

xpeacex There's respect here, and a trainload of motivation after last year. These guys have played some good games against each other and this year should be no different. There's been a local rumor of an FBS xfer but no name yet. In fact you don't hear much at all about the team, can't tell if they're downplaying expectations or have a big surprise ready.

FargoBison
July 30th, 2008, 02:27 PM
So far this thread has two idiotic takes by MPLS, YSU and UNI don't run chuck and duck offenses and Bubba's 3-4 defense he is talking about always gave our rushing attack fits. We had one of the best RB's in DII football history and they shut him down like no other team could. I always thought passing teams had the advantage against UND's 3-4 defense, I've watched them get torched more then a few times through the air.

I just checked GoBison.com the end all source of knowledge and found out that NDSU only ran for 93.6 yard against Bubba's 3-4 scheme in our last 5 games against UND.

jmc_jackrabbit
July 30th, 2008, 04:16 PM

Of course four years doesn't make a dynasty. What about my post suggested a dynasty?

All I said is that great facilities don't guarantee success in recruiting or on the field. And I was responding to your buddy Mpls who declared that you can't recruit or win consistently without a shiny stadium.

I wasn't declaring that SDSU is some kind of dynasty. Have you seen me (or any other Jacks fan) argue strenuously that we're being disrespected by being picked sixth? No. That's because the philosophy of SDSU's program, preached endlessly by the coaching staff, is that you should try to focus only on being 1-0 every week and that you get there by focusing only on the next play. SDSU has everything to prove and can't rest on any laurels. It was fun to beat the Bison last year and win the Great West, but that means literally nothing this season. I'm sure that nobody in the MVC gives a darn who won the Great West last year... or about NDSU beating Minnesota last year (which was awesome, by the way!)

DallasNeck
July 30th, 2008, 04:29 PM

2) ND State
3) UNI
4) MSU
5) SD State
6) YSU
7) SIU
8) Ill. State
9) Ind. State

Thank god someone finally stuck up for us on this board. I'm not so sure about the small market comment as far as no respect since all the schools in the conference are in small markets. Hopefully the absense of Patterson will allow Hendrickson to open up the offense and maybe we'll win a few close games if our defense can stop the run.

BisonBacker
July 30th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Of course four years doesn't make a dynasty. What about my post suggested a dynasty?

All I said is that great facilities don't guarantee success in recruiting or on the field. And I was responding to your buddy Mpls who declared that you can't recruit or win consistently without a shiny stadium.

I wasn't declaring that SDSU is some kind of dynasty. Have you seen me (or any other Jacks fan) argue strenuously that we're being disrespected by being picked sixth? No. That's because the philosophy of SDSU's program, preached endlessly by the coaching staff, is that you should try to focus only on being 1-0 every week and that you get there by focusing only on the next play. SDSU has everything to prove and can't rest on any laurels. It was fun to beat the Bison last year and win the Great West, but that means literally nothing this season. I'm sure that nobody in the MVC gives a darn who won the Great West last year... or about NDSU beating Minnesota last year (which was awesome, by the way!)

There is no need to throw out insults like that xnonono2x

Cap'n Cat
July 30th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Hey, conference brothers, let's be cool and stick together, huh?

Come on. Don't act like those SoCon a-holes.

xrolleyesx

MplsBison
July 30th, 2008, 06:07 PM
So far I have observed that WIU and SDSU get far too little respect and SIU and YSU get far too much.

NDSU and UNI are about right.

Cap'n Cat
July 30th, 2008, 06:10 PM
So far I have observed that WIU and SDSU get far too little respect and YSU gets far too much.

Well, you got at least one right!

xlolx xlolx

PantherRob82
July 30th, 2008, 06:14 PM
So far I have observed that WIU and SDSU get far too little respect and SIU and YSU get far too much.

I respect SDSU. WIU is way overrated. Mark my words.

Cap'n Cat
July 30th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I respect SDSU. WIU is way overrated. Mark my words.

Agreed.

UNI Pike
July 30th, 2008, 06:17 PM
My question is will ISU run the table in reverse?

Cap'n Cat
July 30th, 2008, 06:18 PM

The Crimson Crows oughta suit up the dance team if they want a chance before snowballing to 4-7.

xcoffeex

MplsBison
July 30th, 2008, 07:17 PM
WIU is way overrated. Mark my words.

Done.

I expect good things from WIU this year.

X-Factor
July 30th, 2008, 09:06 PM

I don't mind us having a tune-up game mid season prior to the playoffs. Give some of our starters a breather and rest the wounded. This Gateway Gauntlet (i know MVFC! MVFC!) is tough enough.

jmc_jackrabbit
July 31st, 2008, 03:14 PM
Not consistantly.

Wasn't planning to post again on whether a new stadium is necessary to win consistently, but I was paging through the Jackrabbit media guide and came across SDSU's home record since the FCS transition began: 17-4

Those four losses include close games with Cal Poly and Georgia Southern a few years back and a 14-point loss to UNI last year.

Just one more fact to consider.

MplsBison
July 31st, 2008, 04:21 PM
How about the home loss to DIII UW Lacrosse?

But I'm sure you won't find a single SDSU fan that blames the fact that high school teams tore up the grass and ruined the field condition for SDSU, will you?

NDSUFREAK
July 31st, 2008, 07:47 PM
How about the home loss to DIII UW Lacrosse?

But I'm sure you won't find a single SDSU fan that blames the fact that high school teams tore up the grass and ruined the field condition for SDSU, will you?

whats that last line supposed to mean?....it better not be a reference to what im thinking about right now...

MplsBison
July 31st, 2008, 08:11 PM
Only the fact that if you're going to have an outdoor stadium in the upper midwest climate you better have fieldturf if you want recruits to take you seriously.

Montana State is an Ag school exactly the same as SDSU and they have an outdoor stadium just like SDSU.

If they can get fieldturf then SDSU loses all credibility by trying to maintain grass in the frozen tundra.

BearsCountry
July 31st, 2008, 08:45 PM
The premiere football team in the upper midwest still plays on grass.

MplsBison
July 31st, 2008, 09:18 PM
Upper midwest = Dakotas + Minnesota.

MSUBear42
July 31st, 2008, 09:24 PM
The premiere football team in the upper midwest still plays on grass.

Who?

MSUBear42
July 31st, 2008, 09:25 PM
Thank god someone finally stuck up for us on this board. I'm not so sure about the small market comment as far as no respect since all the schools in the conference are in small markets. Hopefully the absense of Patterson will allow Hendrickson to open up the offense and maybe we'll win a few close games if our defense can stop the run.

I just like him cause he had MSU finishing 4th!

ShowMeBear2
July 31st, 2008, 09:59 PM
I really like the Bears to finish 5th. It all depends on how the defense improves.

NDSUFREAK
July 31st, 2008, 10:14 PM
Only the fact that if you're going to have an outdoor stadium in the upper midwest climate you better have fieldturf if you want recruits to take you seriously.

Montana State is an Ag school exactly the same as SDSU and they have an outdoor stadium just like SDSU.

If they can get fieldturf then SDSU loses all credibility by trying to maintain grass in the frozen tundra.

then you weren't talking about what i was thinking...ok

BearsCountry
August 1st, 2008, 01:41 AM
Who?

http://www.ryanhambysblog.com/blogpics/packers.jpg

BearsCountry
August 1st, 2008, 01:47 AM
Upper midwest = Dakotas + Minnesota.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Midwest

JayJ79
August 1st, 2008, 02:22 AM

stop trying to ruin MplsBison's own little world with your "reality" :p

MplsBison
August 1st, 2008, 07:43 AM

Not even close.

You probably edited the article before you posted it.

WI, IL. IN and MI are all Great Lakes states. Not even close to upper midwest. Maybe from the POV of someone in Florida.

IA and NE are plains states.

andy7171
August 1st, 2008, 07:48 AM
Not even close.

WI, IL. IN and MI are all Great Lakes states. Not even close to upper midwest. Maybe from the POV of someone in Florida.

I hate to do this , but I'm with MPLS on this one. I'd maybe consider WI part of the upper mid west. All those others no way.

uni88
August 1st, 2008, 08:31 AM
Not even close.

Iowa is a Plains state and the Dakotas are in the Midwest? The heart of the plains is from Kansas to the Dakotas. If you are in an area where wheat is a primary crop and buffalo used to roam the prairie in large numbers, you are probably in the Plains.

There is no consistent definition of the the Midwest. Definitions include portions of the area between Ohio, the Dakotas and Kansas. Most people in those states want to consider themselves part of the midwest (due to the reputation for being practical, hard-working, family oriented, etc.) so they adjust their definition to fit what they want.

The Map at the bottom of BearsCountry's link is as close as you're going to get to a consensus defintion of the Midwest. The Great Lakes states and the Great Plains states make up the Midwest.

mebisonII
August 1st, 2008, 08:46 AM
You know, one of my favorite things to do on this board is open a thread like this and read the first page, and then skip to the last page without reading anything in between.

Page 1: Football rankings, good discussion of where you wished your team was ranked.
Page 22: Argument about the proper definition of the "Upper Midwest"

*Now how the heck did that happen?*

xlolx

MplsBison
August 1st, 2008, 10:29 AM
Iowa is a Plains state and the Dakotas are in the Midwest? The heart of the plains is from Kansas to the Dakotas. If you are in an area where wheat is a primary crop and buffalo used to roam the prairie in large numbers, you are probably in the Plains.

There is no consistent definition of the the Midwest. Definitions include portions of the area between Ohio, the Dakotas and Kansas. Most people in those states want to consider themselves part of the midwest (due to the reputation for being practical, hard-working, family oriented, etc.) so they adjust their definition to fit what they want.

The Map at the bottom of BearsCountry's link is as close as you're going to get to a consensus defintion of the Midwest. The Great Lakes states and the Great Plains states make up the Midwest.

I said upper midwest, not midwest.

No way in hell Indiana is upper midwest.

Regardless of the correct term, my intent was to refer to Minnesota + Dakotas.

Houndawg
August 1st, 2008, 11:09 PM
[QUOTE=MplsBison;1041676]
QUOTE]

My part of Illinois isn't a Great Lakes state; St. Louis, Nashville, Memphis, and Jackson, MS are all closer, geographically and culturally.

cowbellnation
August 2nd, 2008, 09:31 AM
I don't know about ND but most South Dakotans refer to the Dakotas being the Northern Plains, not the midwest. Minnesota and to the east the Lakes States, and Iowa east the Cornbelt States.

Purple For Life
August 2nd, 2008, 10:04 AM
Back to the subject at hand, I think it's going to be a good fight in the Valley (so weird to type that!) this year. I'm pretty excited to see how it all shakes out.