PDA

View Full Version : SLC Announces TV Network

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
The Southland Conference today announced the formation of the SLC Television Network. This will put championship games from all major sports on television, in addition to a nice group of football contests and 16 basketball games!

HOUSTON, Texas – A new venture in college sports television begins in 2008 as the Southland Conference Television Network debuts with over 35 broadcasts on television stations and cable systems in the league’s three-state geographic region.

The broadcast package, which was announced Tuesday during the Southland’s Football Media Day Luncheon, will debut with nine football game broadcasts beginning in September. The football broadcast package will be followed by a planned 16-game basketball broadcast schedule, including five games from the 2009 Southland Basketball Tournament in Katy, Texas.

In addition to football and basketball, the Southland Network will also feature the championship games of the 2008 Volleyball Tournament and the 2009 Baseball Tournament. It is also anticipated that all live game broadcasts will be simulcast by video streaming on the Southland’s official web site, http://www.southland.org/.

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=1522531

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2008, 08:47 AM
Here's the slate of SLC games scheduled...

2008 FOOTBALL BROADCAST SCHEDULE

Day, Date Time Game
Sat., Sept. 13 6 p.m. Grambling State at Northwestern State
Sat., Oct. 4 6 p.m. Texas Southern at Texas State
Sat., Oct. 11 6 p.m. *Sam Houston at Central Arkansas
Sat., Oct. 18 2 p.m. *McNeese State at Sam Houston State
Sat., Oct. 25 2 p.m. *Texas State at Stephen F. Austin
Sat., Nov. 1 2 p.m. *Stephen F. Austin at Sam Houston
Sat., Nov. 8 2 p.m. *Texas State at Southeastern Louisiana
Sat., Nov. 15 6 p.m. *McNeese State at Northwestern State
Sat., Nov. 22 6 p.m. *Wildcard Game TBA

*Southland Conference Game

BgJag
July 22nd, 2008, 09:58 AM
first two games against SWAC teams, interesting.

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2008, 10:05 AM

Well, this isn't much of a surprise considering the lack of Div I out of conference games at SLC venues. There are a few, but not many...

You aren't going to see games away from the SLC, I'd presume, outside of those shared through JumpTV and put on the Southland web site.

Wish SHSU vs PVA&M was on the slate...

McTailGator
July 22nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
Here's the slate of SLC games scheduled...

2008 FOOTBALL BROADCAST SCHEDULE

Day, Date Time Game
Sat., Sept. 13 6 p.m. Grambling State at Northwestern State
Sat., Oct. 4 6 p.m. Texas Southern at Texas State
Sat., Oct. 11 6 p.m. *Sam Houston at Central Arkansas
Sat., Oct. 18 2 p.m. *McNeese State at Sam Houston State
Sat., Oct. 25 2 p.m. *Texas State at Stephen F. Austin
Sat., Nov. 1 2 p.m. *Stephen F. Austin at Sam Houston
Sat., Nov. 8 2 p.m. *Texas State at Southeastern Louisiana
Sat., Nov. 15 6 p.m. *McNeese State at Northwestern State
Sat., Nov. 22 6 p.m. *Wildcard Game TBA

*Southland Conference Game

GREAT DEAL...

JUST SAY NO TO THURSDAY NIGHTS! xthumbsupx

I also like the fact that NO McNeese home games will be shown.

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM
McTailGator,

Are you expecting, like I am, that the Louisiana schools will get their typical handful of games from CST? Pat brought up on KatFans.com that the Louisiana schools got the short end of the stick. Figure they are going to get some 'love' from CST. Of course, Nicholls has that deal with WGHO in New Orleans for home games as well...

McTailGator
July 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
McTailGator,

Are you expecting, like I am, that the Louisiana schools will get their typical handful of games from CST? Pat brought up on KatFans.com that the Louisiana schools got the short end of the stick. Figure they are going to get some 'love' from CST. Of course, Nicholls has that deal with WGHO in New Orleans for home games as well...

I think it will be less than normal, as CSTV sold a big chunk of their rights and are no longer carried in the western portion of the state. But they will get some. Plus, CST is still carried by SuddenLink (the company that bought the western portion of La.)

CST also inked a deal with Dish (owned by AT&T) to be on the Dish Network. I have AT&T U-Verse for cable in Houston so I will get the CST coverage.

BUT my hope is SLC-TV will become kink and all LA and most Texas and Arkansas cable outlets will carry it.

http://jwproductions.org/index.html

This is a link to the production company.

They do the Dallas Cowboy Weekly Show and a lot of Out Doors Sports shows as well.

They are not in it for free, so they must see it as a potential money maker.

Let's just hope that every SLC school's recruiting area gets some Cable coverage.

centexguy
July 22nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
The SLC is in some large media markets (DFW, San Antonio, Austin, Little Rock), plus there's a large number of SLC alumni in Houston. Then there's the Corpus Christi, Beaumont-Port Arthur and Lake Charles markets, so that's quite a few TVs they can reach. I'd like to see the SLC drop some of the smaller LA schools and expand into some larger markets, if possible.

3rd Coast Tiger
July 22nd, 2008, 11:32 AM

Grambling = household name with America + location of both schools to draw a decent crowd

Texas Southern = Bobby Reid + location of both schools to draw a decent crowd

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
Smaller Louisiana schools -- assuming you mean the 'Cajun Corner' schools of Nicholls and Southeastern....?

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2008, 11:44 AM
Grambling = household name with America + location of both schools to draw a decent crowd

Texas Southern = Bobby Reid + location of both schools to draw a decent crowd

Location, location, location...

As I said on SWACPage...my thinking is that there are a limited amount of SLC out of conference home games against Division I opponents.

A quick look provides that UC Davis @ UCA, Prairie View @ SHSU, Cal Poly @ McNeese, Cal Poly @ Northwestern State and South Dakota St @ SFA are the only other OOC games against Division I competition. So, 2 of 7 games are being shown.

None of those games (outside of PV @ SHSU) is a 'regional' game and those are the games that would seemingly be better to 'sell' to stations in the region for showing the SLC TV Network.

Makes loads of sense to me why the games were selected...

centexguy
July 22nd, 2008, 12:18 PM
Smaller Louisiana schools -- assuming you mean the 'Cajun Corner' schools of Nicholls and Southeastern....?

Nicholls for sure. Not sure about SLU, aren't they part of the New Orleans metro area? Do they get any media attention in New Orleans? Northwestern State is also in a small market. This TV Network is good for the conference and maybe the SLC can grow as a conference instead of always trying to find replacements when schools leave for so-called greener pastures.

Lionsrking
July 22nd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Nicholls for sure. Not sure about SLU, aren't they part of the New Orleans metro area? Do they get any media attention in New Orleans? Northwestern State is also in a small market. This TV Network is good for the conference and maybe the SLC can grow as a conference instead of always trying to find replacements when schools leave for so-called greener pastures.

We're in between (on the elbow of an upside down L actually) Baton Rouge and New Orleans, being a little closer to Baton Rouge. Traditionally Hammond has been associated more with Baton Rouge in terms of media coverage, but we do get occasional coverage in New Orleans, though not much. But in the not too distant future, the Hammond/Covington/Mandeville/Slidell area along I-12 (also known as the northshore) will become a mini-market of it's own as fast as it's growing. There's already over 400,000 living in the region with Southeastern being the only 4-yr institution.

Lionsrking
July 22nd, 2008, 12:45 PM
GREAT DEAL...

In the future, I would imagine they'll look for time slots with the least head-to-head competition and that may involve playing on weeknights. Could always bump up to a 10 am start on Saturdays. The ESPN games and the SEC game of the week doesn't start until 11 or 11:30 so that would give an hour window to draw channel surfers.

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2008, 12:46 PM
SLU and Nicholls are going to be hard-pressed to get NOLA coverage this year. The New Orleans fishwrap is not doing so well post-Katrina and has cut back on their sports coverage tremendously. Wonder how it will impact Southern...

Lionsrking
July 22nd, 2008, 12:52 PM
McTailGator,

All I have to say is we better, or I won't be very happy. We do have a televised game with Louisiana Tech on ESPN PLUS/COX SPORTS, and our game at Nicholls apparently will be televised by WHNO. But the point of having an SLC TV network should be to promote the entire conference on a equal basis, or at least as equally as possible. Even if Nicholls has their own deal, they should still get at least one game on the network in my opinion.

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
The streaming has begun...

Commish Burnett. Welcomed Lamar to SLC. Talked about the playoffs, the 2010 expansion of the playoffs briefly.

Got right into Southland Television Network. Spurred from frustrations due to lack of programming chances on television partners as well as increase in costs. Nine football games, 16 basketball games (5 in SLC tournament), etc. Monthly magazine show debut in September. Negotiating affiliate agreements currently. Really excited about the Wild Card game to end the season.

Lionsrking
July 22nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
SLU and Nicholls are going to be hard-pressed to get NOLA coverage this year. The New Orleans fishwrap is not doing so well post-Katrina and has cut back on their sports coverage tremendously. Wonder how it will impact Southern...

That's nothing new...we've gotten very little Picayune coverage over the years, though we do get some in the St. Tammany edition.

IndianaAppMan
July 22nd, 2008, 01:00 PM
The SLC is in some large media markets (DFW, San Antonio, Austin, Little Rock), plus there's a large number of SLC alumni in Houston. Then there's the Corpus Christi, Beaumont-Port Arthur and Lake Charles markets, so that's quite a few TVs they can reach. I'd like to see the SLC drop some of the smaller LA schools and expand into some larger markets, if possible.

Since when is Little Rock a large media market? Are we comparing it to the metropolis of Florence, South Carolina, in which case, sure, it's massive!

Anyway, I'm kinda surprised about this SLC network thing. I wonder how successful the network will be at negotiating with the cable companies. Here in Big Ten country, the BT Network just now worked out a deal with Comcast, and the Big Ten is, with all due respect, ten times more popular than the SLC; they spent their whole first year only on satellite. A lot of people were mad that they missed out on games like ASU-Michigan.

Hopefully the SLC Network will be a good move economically. We'll see...

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2008, 01:13 PM
IndianaAppMan,

SLC Network won't really be a "television network". It will be a group that produces content for stations and cable systems that want it. Look for it to get on some independent stations or other stations (see MyNetworkTV) that do not have football on there and need some space to fill...

It's a much different thing than you are thinking...not a network, but a production group that provides content to those who want it. The goal is to get it into those major cities and the whole region the SLC really reaches out to...

IndianaAppMan
July 22nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
IndianaAppMan,

SLC Network won't really be a "television network". It will be a group that produces content for stations and cable systems that want it. Look for it to get on some independent stations or other stations (see MyNetworkTV) that do not have football on there and need some space to fill...

It's a much different thing than you are thinking...not a network, but a production group that provides content to those who want it. The goal is to get it into those major cities and the whole region the SLC really reaches out to...

Okay, I gotcha! xsmiley_wix

Raycom Sports (formerly Jefferson Pilot Sports) does the same kind of thing for some ACC & SEC games in the southeast Atlantic region.

Thanks for clarifying.

Lionsrking
July 22nd, 2008, 01:39 PM
IndianaAppMan,

Actually it is a network, just not an individual channel or station.

McTailGator
July 22nd, 2008, 01:52 PM

???

Just who should they drop?

McNeese gets probably the MOST media coverage from the Lake Charles media then all the other SLC teams COMBINED. McNeese is the 2nd smallest school in the SLC, but in a CAPTURED media market.

Nichols, is the smallest school, but combined with SLU can both bring in the Baton Rouge and New Orleans areas.

Northwestern is in a Unique position for Alexandria, and Shreveport.

Those schools have all been in the SLC longer than any of the Texas Schools minus Lamar, who lost tenure when they left the SLC in the late 80's to chase their basketball dreams.

Those La schools will probably bring in more TV stations that will cover the SLC than will the texas schools. Like COX Sports does now.

JUST WHO WOULD YOU DROP? xconfusedx

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2008, 01:56 PM
I do not want to drop any of the schools unless the conference moves up together as an entity to FBS and one school can not make the cut. This conference is a good group as it stands now, really liked the addition of Central Arkansas and I think the next wave of expansion will take the league into Oklahoma or Mississippi.

McTailGator
July 22nd, 2008, 01:58 PM
Could always bump up to a 10 am start on Saturdays.

MAY LIGHTNING STRIKE YOU DOWN FOR SUCH A STATEMENT!

REPEAT AFTER ME...

FOOTBALL IS TO BE PLAYED ON SATURDAY NIGHTS. xnodx

When you forget about this very important rule. Just repeat it some more. xsmiley_wix

McTailGator
July 22nd, 2008, 02:04 PM
Anyway, I'm kinda surprised about this SLC network thing. I wonder how successful the network will be at negotiating with the cable companies.

They have already been pretty successful from what I am told. They are just waiting on one final contract to be signed before make the anouncement of who will air the network.

They rushed the announcement for the start of the SLC media day just to include the production portion of the Network. They wanted to have all their outlets in one basket before they reveled them.

Might be another couple of weeks before they are ready to do that.

Lionsrking
July 22nd, 2008, 02:21 PM
MAY LIGHTNING STRIKE YOU DOWN FOR SUCH A STATEMENT!

REPEAT AFTER ME...

When you forget about this very important rule. Just repeat it some more. xsmiley_wix

Thanks...I'll be sure to stay indoors on cloudy days.

UCABEARS75
July 22nd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Since when is Little Rock a large media market? Are we comparing it to the metropolis of Florence, South Carolina, in which case, sure, it's massive!

Anyway, I'm kinda surprised about this SLC network thing. I wonder how successful the network will be at negotiating with the cable companies. Here in Big Ten country, the BT Network just now worked out a deal with Comcast, and the Big Ten is, with all due respect, ten times more popular than the SLC; they spent their whole first year only on satellite. A lot of people were mad that they missed out on games like ASU-Michigan.

Hopefully the SLC Network will be a good move economically. We'll see...

LOL, hey Little Rock is not NYC (#1 TV market in the country) but it probably rates a little higher than you might think:

#5 DFW; #10 Houston; #26 Indianapolis; #37 San Antonio; #47 Memphis; #51 Austin #57 Little Rock; #60 Tulsa.

I did not see Florence S.C. on the list of 210 ranked markets but I may have missed it.

McNeese75
July 22nd, 2008, 03:07 PM

xconfusedx The only thing smaller about Southeastern vs McNeese is the football stadium and related fan base.

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2008, 03:07 PM
They have already been pretty successful from what I am told. They are just waiting on one final contract to be signed before make the anouncement of who will air the network.

Guessing they did a pretty good job of securing spots in every SLC market, if they are as far along as you have heard...

Sly Fox
July 22nd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Getting clearance for regional football games really has never been the challenge for a project like this. It was getting production costs low enough and advertising revenue high enough to merit the effort.

Some of you guys may remember the old Alamo High School Xtra show that aired on the old HSE/Prime/FSSW and then the syndicated high school show a few years ago here in Texas. They also used to produce a Florida high school show as well. So they are not novices. I've known Jeff and his crew for about 15 years or so.

centexguy
July 22nd, 2008, 03:37 PM
???

Just who should they drop?

McNeese gets probably the MOST media coverage from the Lake Charles media then all the other SLC teams COMBINED. McNeese is the 2nd smallest school in the SLC, but in a CAPTURED media market.

Nichols, is the smallest school, but combined with SLU can both bring in the Baton Rouge and New Orleans areas.

Northwestern is in a Unique position for Alexandria, and Shreveport.

Those schools have all been in the SLC longer than any of the Texas Schools minus Lamar, who lost tenure when they left the SLC in the late 80's to chase their basketball dreams.

Those La schools will probably bring in more TV stations that will cover the SLC than will the texas schools. Like COX Sports does now.

JUST WHO WOULD YOU DROP? xconfusedx

I should have chosen my words more wisely. The SLC will not drop a school just to add another. I was thinking more long term and there probably will be a school or two that will fall behind. I also know that market size doesn't automatically translate into tv viewership. UTA may be in DFW but they are focused on academics, not athletics, and don't get much attention in their market. Since UALR doesn't have football, that gives UCA a chance to get Little Rock's attention. McNeese and Lamar have their markets all to themselves. Hopefully this TV Network will be a success.

IndianaAppMan
July 22nd, 2008, 04:35 PM
LOL, hey Little Rock is not NYC (#1 TV market in the country) but it probably rates a little higher than you might think:

#5 DFW; #10 Houston; #26 Indianapolis; #37 San Antonio; #47 Memphis; #51 Austin #57 Little Rock; #60 Tulsa.

I did not see Florence S.C. on the list of 210 ranked markets but I may have missed it.

I don't consider #57 "a large media market." It's decent, for sure, but not major.

I grew up in the Greenville/Spartanburg, SC market (#36), and it still had a small-time feel to it, even though it's been a rapidly growing area. Depending on who you're talking to, many people consider Indy (#26) to be a small market.

I guess it's all relative, and all about perception:. o

Lionsrking
July 22nd, 2008, 04:48 PM
I don't consider #57 "a large media market." It's decent, for sure, but not major.

I grew up in the Greenville/Spartanburg, SC market (#36), and it still had a small-time feel to it, even though it's been a rapidly growing area. Depending on who you're talking to, many people consider Indy (#26) to be a small market.

When you're talking within the footprint of the Southland Conference, #57 is pretty damn large, relatively speaking.

slycat
July 22nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
IndianaAppMan,

i hope its on this channel

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
Gary Laney interviewed Burnett on this subject...McTailGator posted this report on GeauxCowboys...

He is certainly not expecting any major network affiliates to take the package, but he is saying that there are plenty of independent stations and smaller network affiliates, like CW or the ‘My’ network that have showed an interest. CW has a pretty good local news cast here in Houston.

Burnett stated that the SLC is having a lot of success with those type of stations that don’t have the network obligations. He also said that the league is close to making announcements in some markets, including Lake Charles.

UNI Pike
July 23rd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Rumor on the UNI board is that the UNI - Nicholls State game will be a Thursday night game televised on ESPNU. Both schools' web sites still show a Saturday afternoon game, BTW.

No specific information on where that notice generated from, but I believe that it was mentioned at a alumni event by the new UNI AD and confirmed through the grapevine by band participants.

ESPNU good, Thursday bad. Wasted extra time to prep for a not so good program. Could have used it the week before with Southern ILL or the week after with North Dakota State.

http://www.panthernation.com/showthread.php?t=18650&highlight=nicholls

IndianaAppMan
July 23rd, 2008, 02:03 PM
When you're talking within the footprint of the Southland Conference, #57 is pretty damn large, relatively speaking.

Gary Laney interviewed Burnett on this subject...McTailGator posted this report on GeauxCowboys...

All right. I guess I get the point you were trying to make.

Heck, I hope the SLC network becomes a huge success. Anything to increase exposure of FCS football is good news to me. It's astounding how lowly people regard our brand of ball despite having produced some of the NFL's best players and having such an exciting postseason. If this network proves advantageous by reaching new markets, more power to ya! :D

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2008, 02:37 PM
Rumor on the UNI board is that the UNI - Nicholls State game will be a Thursday night game televised on ESPNU. Both schools' web sites still show a Saturday afternoon game, BTW.

This is great news! Any additional games that the FCS and in particular, the SLC gets on television is a good thing -- especially inter-sectional games like UNI vs Nicholls.

Retro
July 23rd, 2008, 03:28 PM
GREAT DEAL...

Actually it would be to the Networks benefit and Mcneese's to have a home game on there as it would be the best atmosphere and largest crowd of any of the games shown..

As long as it was blacked out locally until 15,000 + tickets sold, i really don't think it will hurt our crowd.. We'll always get the 12,000 usual and then everything after that is based on winning, weather and if game is on traditional local tv like KVHP, etc..

houtexan
July 23rd, 2008, 04:33 PM
I'm hoping that one of the Houston independent stations pick up the games.

BEAR
July 23rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
Word here is that the SHSU game that is televised might be followed up with the UCA v McNeese game....pending that it has significance..xcoolx

McTailGator
July 23rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
Actually it would be to the Networks benefit and Mcneese's to have a home game on there as it would be the best atmosphere and largest crowd of any of the games shown..

As long as it was blacked out locally until 15,000 + tickets sold, i really don't think it will hurt our crowd.. We'll always get the 12,000 usual and then everything after that is based on winning, weather and if game is on traditional local tv like KVHP, etc..

That would be the key.

To black it out locally.

centexguy
July 23rd, 2008, 09:57 PM
The SLC has schools in the following media markets:

#5 DFW (UTA, but not football)
#10 Houston (SHSU and LU are nearby with a lot of alumni there)
#37 San Antonio (UTSA, again no football....yet)
#51 Austin (Texas State-San Marcus...but UT dominates the media)
#53 New Orleans (SLU and Nicholls State nearby)
#57 Little Rock (UCA)
#111 Tyler-Longview-Lufkin-Nacogdoches (SFA)
#129 Corpus Christi (TAMU-CC, again no football)
#141 Beaumont-Port Arthur (Lamar)
#176 Lake Charles (McNeese)

I doubt they'll get in all these markets (at least not initially), but I can see them in the most of these markets right away. That wouldn't be that bad.

TexasTerror
July 23rd, 2008, 09:59 PM
I think it's important to get into any market in all of those states...whether it #204 Victoria, Texas or #82 Shreveport/Texarkana. These are all in the geographic footprint and all recruiting bases for our programs!

Lionsrking
July 23rd, 2008, 10:25 PM

#57 Little Rock (UCA)

I doubt they'll get in all these markets (at least not initially), but I can see them in the most of these markets right away. That wouldn't be that bad.

You can count us in Baton Rouge also.

UCABEARS75
July 24th, 2008, 08:49 AM

Agreed it is not a "major" market. Obviously when you talk about the really large markets, NYC, Chicago, LA, Dallas, etc you are talking about a whole different animal.

But, as someone said above, when talking about the SLC footprint we are not that fare behind, and in some cases ahead of, most of the markets.

Arkansas as a whole is somewhere around 3 million people I would guess.

The LR TV stations reach probably 1.5- 2 million of them with the NW Arkansas TV stations (and Tulsa), the Jonesboro/Memphis TV stations, and the Texarkana/Shreveport TV stations reaching the balance with some overlap obviously.

Once again, it is perception.

McTailGator
July 24th, 2008, 09:39 AM

#57 Little Rock (UCA)

Was reported in the Baton Rouge Newspaper this morning that the SLC Network will air in Baton Rouge, I am thinking it will also be in New Orleans, Lafayette (Huge recruiting area with a lot of McNeese Alumni), probably Alexandria, and Shreveport as well. I think every market in Louisiana will be covered except NE Louisiana.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/25847989.html

Sly Fox
July 24th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Getting clearances in the smaller markets is actually tougher than the big cities like Houston. With fewer stataions in some areas there are less availabilities.

msupokes1
July 24th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Word is that one of the local stations in Lake Charles will pick up all of the games on their HD channel and pick up the two McNeese games on the regular channel. Will know more later this afternoon.

ASU33
July 24th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Great move by the Southland Conference!xthumbsupx

McTailGator
July 25th, 2008, 02:21 PM
I think it's important to get into any market in all of those states...whether it #204 Victoria, Texas or #82 Shreveport/Texarkana. These are all in the geographic footprint and all recruiting bases for our programs!

Fox 29 (KVHP-TV) of Lake Charles has announced that it will be affiliated with the new Southland Conference sports television network.
John Rockweiler of Fox 29 made the announcement, adding “We are excited to announce our new affiliation with the Southland Conference. Our relationship with McNeese State will be strengthened through this multi-year agreement.”

On its own television network this season, the Southland Conference will feature nine or more football games, 16 basketball telecasts, a monthly magazine show, five SLC basketball tournament games, the baseball championship game and the volleyball championship game.

McNeese State athletic director Tommy McClelland said, “We are extremely excited that Fox 29 is going to be the official provider of the Southland Conference TV network in our market. This is great for the Southland Conference and even better for McNeese State.”

The Cowboys are currently scheduled to appear twice on the 2008 football slate, October 18 at Sam Houston State and Nov. 15 at Northwestern State.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Fox 29 owns 2 stations. The Lake Charles affiliate (KVHP) and a Beaumont area channel Fox 64?, that centers itself around Golden Triangle coverage across the Sabine in river from Louisiana. So it is a double whammy for them. They will be able to provide SLC coverage to both McNeese AND Lamar fans independently from each other.

The annual McNeese vs Lamar games are not certain to be televised regardless of what the SLC game of the week will be. With that game probably being a sell out in both Beaumont and Lake Charles, it will insure that Cowboy and Cardinal fans are able to see the games.

TexasTerror
July 25th, 2008, 03:15 PM
This is great news by the Southland Conference. Having an "in" with Lake Charles was a great step in the right direction.

Will Lamar make the announcement about their station in Beaumont soon too? Should have two markets down...what's next?

McTailGator
July 25th, 2008, 05:15 PM
This is great news by the Southland Conference. Having an "in" with Lake Charles was a great step in the right direction.

Will Lamar make the announcement about their station in Beaumont soon too? Should have two markets down...what's next?

I don't know.

I understand that KVHP was already thinking about carring all away McNeese games and was working with McNeese to make it happen. They can still do so over the air, and then carry the SLC GOTW via their HD signal.

They can do the same for Lamar via their Texas transmitters as well. But Lamar would have to allow it, because they own the rights.

Demon Fan
July 26th, 2008, 05:05 PM

#57 Little Rock (UCA)

Northwestern State is in the Shreveport-Bossier/Texarkana market at #82. As well as Alexandria at #180.

centexguy
July 26th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Updated list of target markets:

#57 Little Rock (UCA)
#82 Shreveport (Northwestern State)
#94 Baton Rouge (SLU)

One down, 11 to go.

McTailGator
July 27th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Updated list of target markets:

#57 Little Rock (UCA)
#94 Baton Rouge (SLU)

One down, 11 to go.

I have a feeling that Fox 64, which is owned by the same company that runs Fox 29, will be provinding the same service for the Golden Triangle market.

houtexan
July 28th, 2008, 08:30 AM
I have a feeling that Fox 64, which is owned by the same company that runs Fox 29, will be provinding the same service for the Golden Triangle market.

Agree. Do you think they'd carry games before LU starts in 2010, or wait until then?

TexasTerror
July 28th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Agree. Do you think they'd carry games before LU starts in 2010, or wait until then?

Lamar games start this year! Remember, the SLC is selling it as a package and that includes volleyball championship and basketball -- two sports in which you guys figure to be in the mix.

msupokes1
July 28th, 2008, 09:31 AM
All SLC broadcast games, not just football, will be broadcast on Fox 29. No decision has been made yet as to whether it will be broadcast on Fox 64 in Beaumont yet.

TexasTerror
August 12th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Tyler, Texas has been added...

FRISCO, Texas – The Southland Conference and MYTX 18, My Texas Television, based in Tyler, Texas, have agreed on the station serving as the exclusive East Texas affiliate for the new Southland Conference Television Network, league and station officials announced Tuesday.

“We are thrilled to announce the affiliate agreement with MYTX 18, which covers all of the East Texas television market, an area that’s very important to the Southland Conference,” league commissioner Tom Burnett said. “We appreciate the enthusiastic interest shown by the station’s ownership and management, and we’re excited that viewers in East Texas will get the opportunity to view this unique and innovative television offering.”

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=1553509

Our running list...
Our running list...
#5 DFW (UTA)
#10 Houston (SHSU and LU)
#37 San Antonio (UTSA, Texas State-San Marcos)
#51 Austin (Texas State-San Marcos)
#53 New Orleans (SLU and Nicholls State)
#57 Little Rock (UCA)
#94 Baton Rouge (SLU)
#129 Corpus Christi (TAMU-CC)

TexasTerror
August 13th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Add Alexandria, La...

FRISCO, Texas – The Southland Conference and KWCE Television, Channel 27, in Alexandria, La., have agreed to have the station serve as the exclusive central Louisiana affiliate for the new Southland Conference Television Network, league and station officials announced Wednesday. The station, also known as RTN 27, is also an affiliate of the Retro Television Network.

“We are excited to have KWCE serve as the exclusive central Louisiana affiliate for the Southland Conference Television Network,” league commissioner Tom Burnett said. “We’re pleased that Alexandria area viewers will get the opportunity to view this unique and innovative television offering. We thank the KWCE ownership and management for showing a great deal of interest in the Southland Conference.”

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=1553808

#5 DFW (UTA)
#57 Little Rock (UCA)
#94 Baton Rouge (SLU)
#180 Alexandria (Northwestern State)

houtexan
August 14th, 2008, 12:03 PM
3 down 10 to go

TexasTerror
August 22nd, 2008, 04:37 PM
Another station...

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=1567029

With Little Rock now added...

#5 DFW (UTA)
#57 Little Rock (UCA)
#94 Baton Rouge (SLU)

BEAR
August 22nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
You can make that all of Arkansas instead of just LR. What a great market to force feed Southland athletics to those pig fans! xlolx

GeauxLions94
August 22nd, 2008, 06:18 PM
Another station...

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=1567029

With Little Rock now added...

#5 DFW (UTA)
#57 Little Rock (UCA)
#94 Baton Rouge (SLU)

Would be nice to see New Orleans and Baton Rouge put in the yea column pretty soon. Surprised that San Antonio/Austin along with Houston/Beaumont haven't been inked yet.

McTailGator
August 22nd, 2008, 09:54 PM
Would be nice to see New Orleans and Baton Rouge put in the yea column pretty soon. Surprised that San Antonio/Austin along with Houston/Beaumont haven't been inked yet.

I wonder what the SLC is requiring of these stations?

I am supprised that more have not been named considering the SLC commish said we would end up with 8 stations. in the fall and 2 or 3 more by year end.

Of course, there is still time.

TexasTerror
August 23rd, 2008, 06:42 PM
We still got til Sept. 13 on that first football game with the second coming in early October. We really have a good three weeks to get these deals finalized...and I have a gut feeling that some of them are pretty close.

Four stations down, the SLC really needs Houston, New Orleans, DFW and Austin/San Antonio in the fold since those are the 'big markets'. in the SLC.

McTailGator
August 23rd, 2008, 07:38 PM
We still got til Sept. 13 on that first football game with the second coming in early October. We really have a good three weeks to get these deals finalized...and I have a gut feeling that some of them are pretty close.

Four stations down, the SLC really needs Houston, New Orleans, DFW and Austin/San Antonio in the fold since those are the 'big markets'. in the SLC.

When is the 1st Magazine show going to air?

chrisattsu
August 24th, 2008, 11:45 AM

I know that Texas 21 in Dallas just committed to four football UNT games. My guess is that they will focus their energy on them, and not the SLC.

slycat
August 24th, 2008, 12:57 PM
I know that Texas 21 in Dallas just committed to four football UNT games. My guess is that they will focus their energy on them, and not the SLC.

And why not, UTA doesn't have a football team and the closest team that does is SFA. I wonder if Houston will have the same problem or if there will be some block by UofH and Rice?

TexasTerror
August 24th, 2008, 01:07 PM
And why not, UTA doesn't have a football team and the closest team that does is SFA. I wonder if Houston will have the same problem or if there will be some block by UofH and Rice?

Houston shouldn't have the same problem as I do not believe that Rice or UH games are shown on KTBU (55) anymore. I do think KTBU does have UH coaches shows though...

Doesn't KNWS (51) in Houston have some ESPN+ (Big 10) package? Or did that go the way of the dump after the Big 10 Network? Been since 2005 when I last lived in Houston...

slycat
August 24th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Houston shouldn't have the same problem as I do not believe that Rice or UH games are shown on KTBU (55) anymore. I do think KTBU does have UH coaches shows though...

Doesn't KNWS (51) in Houston have some ESPN+ (Big 10) package? Or did that go the way of the dump after the Big 10 Network? Been since 2005 when I last lived in Houston...

I don't know, I haven't lived in Houston during the football season. I'm sure the SLC package will get picked up though with SHSU, LU, and TSU in the area. Wouldn't surprise me that is why they picked the TSU game as one to show on TV. The MY20 in Houston just shows old movies on Saturdays, so they have room to put some football on.

McTailGator
August 24th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Nah, word has it they are just trying to dot some I's and cross some T's with KTBU, channel 55 here in Houston.

I also understand that a station in San Antonio is also about to be announced as well, which will cover both TxSU and UTSA. Same with a New Orleans station, which should cover both Nichols and SELA as well. Lamar fans can catch KVHP out of Lake Charles with an antenna, but Beaumont and Port Arthur need to get signed up as well. I suspect they will sign in November in preparation for Basketball season, as will a DFW Metroplex station as well.

I still hope to get coverage in some of the TWEENER markets where SLC schools have a lot of support and alumni. Cities like Austin, Baton Rouge, Lafayette and Shreveport, would close the gaps throughout the SLC region..

UCAMonkey
August 24th, 2008, 04:27 PM

Speaking of UTA what are they going to do to promote and elevate their athletic program? They have an enrollment of nearly 30k and one of the most poorly supported athletic programs in the country. I think their basketball team only averages around 500 per home game and had a really good year making the Big Dance.
xconfusedx

McTailGator
August 24th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Speaking of UTA what are they going to do to promote and elevate their athletic program? They have an enrollment of nearly 30k and one of the most poorly supported athletic programs in the country. I think their basketball team only averages around 500 per home game and had a really good year making the Big Dance.
xconfusedx

They tricked their students into voting for an athletic facility improvement tuition increase and put the verbal word out that they could soon bring back football if they voted yes.

The president got it, and is spending a crap load of money on a new 10,000 seat state of the art basketball-convention center, leaving nothing left to revive their football program.

Doubtful for them to bring FB back within the next 15 years, IMO.

TexasTerror
August 24th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Just got to make it happen in New Orleans...

The TT needs to see as many games as possible of SLC action from San Marcos in the west to Hammond in the east...

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2008, 11:24 AM
TOM BURNETT RECAP FROM TODAY'S TELECONFERENCE...

Very happy about the interest received in the SLC Network. Five network affiliates confirmed. Number of other agreements pending. More good news on the affiliate front. Very important areas of the conference with the network, important ones we do not have announcement on as well. Very pleased, very excited to do 36 broadcasts of varying kinds this year. Really worked well on short notice. Typically need 6-8 month lead way on something like this.

TColonel
August 26th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Hey TT,

Just to let you know - the most likely station that would pick up the SLC TV in New Olreans would have been WHNO, which will already be carrying all Nicholls home games on a tape delay basis. However, when the SLC moved the Nicholls/Southeastern game to COX, WHNO was not too pleased since they cover all of both schools' regions and were expecting a pretty good viewing. From what I have been told is that becuase of the move, WHNO will not pick up the SLC TV, as they were preparing to do.

Hopefully something will change, but it does not look good.

Demon Fan
August 26th, 2008, 04:16 PM

Sheveport KPXJ 21 was announced as on board yesterday.

houtexan
August 26th, 2008, 04:26 PM

Here in Houston only 3 Rice games are being televised right now:

vs. SMU - ESPN
vs. Memphis - CBS College Sports Network
vs. Tulsa - CBS College Sports Network

University of Houston has 4 scheduled:

vs. Air Force - CBS College Sports Network
vs. East Carolina - CBS College Sports Network
vs. UAB - CBS College Sports Network
vs. Marshall - ESPN

TexasTerror
August 26th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks for catching that!

Shreveport...on the WB station. Great job, SLC!

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=1568060

#5 DFW (UTA)
#57 Little Rock (UCA)
#94 Baton Rouge (SLU)

TexasTerror
August 28th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Throw in Baton Rouge...

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=1570845

#5 DFW (UTA)
#57 Little Rock (UCA)
#94 Baton Rouge (SLU)

HPCAT
August 28th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Throw in Baton Rouge...

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=1570845

#5 DFW (TXST, UTA)
#10 Houston (TXST, SHST, and Lamar)
#37 San Antonio (UTSA, TXST)
#51 Austin (TXST)
#57 Little Rock (UCA)
#94 Baton Rouge (SLU)

Actually the Houston and DFW areas are TXST markets as well, especially Houston, as TXST probably has more alumni in those metro areas than any other SLC institution. UTA may have as many alums in the DFW metroplex, but as we know. would not be part of a football package.

We will have a large crowd at the SMU game, and are taking over one of the most popular pubs in Dallas, as an alum owns it.

TexasTerror
August 28th, 2008, 06:36 PM
You could make arguments regarding that for a lot of markets, HPCAT. It's no secret...SHSU and SFA have nice alum bases in Dallas as well.

We're talking about what schools are actually in those general locations and get serviced by those markets.

Retro
August 28th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Actually the Houston and DFW areas are TXST markets as well, especially Houston, as TXST probably has more alumni in those metro areas than any other SLC institution. UTA may have as many alums in the DFW metroplex, but as we know. would not be part of a football package.

We will have a large crowd at the SMU game, and are taking over one of the most popular pubs in Dallas, as an alum owns it.

Using that logic, Mcneese probably has a larger alumni base in Houston than any team in the SLC with it's engineering types..

HPCAT
August 29th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Using that logic, Mcneese probably has a larger alumni base in Houston than any team in the SLC with it's engineering types..

I will call with just the TXST teachers alone, and that is not even scratching the surface of the computer, energy, accounting, and other Business degrees. xpeacex

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
KTBU, channel 55 in Houston -- IN!

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=1574207

#5 DFW (UTA)
#57 Little Rock (UCA)
#94 Baton Rouge (SLU)

MaximumBobcat
September 3rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
that's big for all the texas schools.

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2008, 05:34 PM

Now if they get DFW, that'd be huge. A huge step for the Southland Conference...

slycat
September 3rd, 2008, 05:46 PM
KTBU, channel 55 in Houston -- IN!

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=1574207

#5 DFW (UTA)
#57 Little Rock (UCA)
#94 Baton Rouge (SLU)

AWESOME!!!! Now I just need to get channel 55. I don't have cable TV since I don't usually watch the other channels. I have an antenna but I haven't found 55 yet. I guess I should get my digital converter box.

TexasTerror
September 4th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I wonder if the Austin and/or San Antonio markets will be covered in time for the Bobcats contest against TSU? The SLC has the first game covered (Grambling-NWST) in terms of coverage area. Need to take care of the rest...

McTailGator
September 4th, 2008, 03:05 PM

McNeese has a hell of a lot of players from the Houston area too.

I live in NW Houston. This is BIG for me!

Thank goodness they got Houston nailed down.

centexguy
September 4th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I wonder if the Austin and/or San Antonio markets will be covered in time for the Bobcats contest against TSU? The SLC has the first game covered (Grambling-NWST) in terms of coverage area. Need to take care of the rest...

I have my doubts about the Austin and San Antonio markets getting Southland TV. I don't think there's any interest for the SLC in Central Texas. Austin only cares about UT and the Big XII. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's that many SLC alumni in the San Antonio area to make a difference.

I'm a little surprised that a station in Beaumont hasn't signed up yet, but maybe they will in time for basketball.

TexasTerror
September 4th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I have my doubts about the Austin and San Antonio markets getting Southland TV. I don't think there's any interest for the SLC in Central Texas. Austin only cares about UT and the Big XII. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's that many SLC alumni in the San Antonio area to make a difference.

Yeah, but every market has a station like MyNetwork or something like that which would love to add sports to programming...which is exactly why the SLC has targeted such stations...

I'm a little surprised that a station in Beaumont hasn't signed up yet, but maybe they will in time for basketball.

Wasn't the Lake Charles station run by the same folks at one in Beaumont? They'll get their act together in time for the VB final and basketball season...

Cat79
September 4th, 2008, 05:59 PM

Actually, according to the Texas State Alumni Association the San Antonio metropolitan area has the largest concentration of Texas State Alumni followed by Houston, Austin and Dallas/Fort Worth. We have 80,000 grads in the San Antonio / Austin metropolitan areas.

McTailGator
September 5th, 2008, 09:57 AM

I'm sure that The San Antonio and Austin areas have a channel like Channel 55 in Houston. It only played old movies and infomercials on Saturday only anyway. This is BIG for them. Now they have something to show more than Friday night football games.

I am thinking the San Antonio, DFW, and Beaumont area were last on the the SLC's priority list given they are only basketball markets for now.

Bobcats will be on soon, if not next season. The press release stated that they are close to other deals too.

I'm guessing that SA and NO are next, with DFW, and Austin in the fold by November before basketball starts.

I also hope to see Lafayette, Louisiana come into play at least by next season as well. We have a lot of alumni and players family and interest over there. We red-shirted all of our recent Lafayette area recruits, so hopefully next year their families will be able to see them on TV.

McTailGator
September 5th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Yeah, but every market has a station like MyNetwork or something like that which would love to add sports to programming...which is exactly why the SLC has targeted such stations...

Wasn't the Lake Charles station run by the same folks at one in Beaumont? They'll get their act together in time for the VB final and basketball season...

I agree,

I'm thinking the SLC just wanted to concentrate on the football markets first and more and more basketball market stations will be signed by November.

McTailGator
September 5th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Actually, according to the Texas State Alumni Association the San Antonio metropolitan area has the largest concentration of Texas State Alumni followed by Houston, Austin and Dallas/Fort Worth. We have 80,000 grads in the San Antonio / Austin metropolitan areas.

Add up the UTSA and the TxSU Alumni base all in the San Antonio area and the market demand is HUGE.

I bet San Antonio is NEXT and very soon.

TexasTerror
September 8th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I'm wondering if Austin or San Antonio are going to hop into the SLC Network deal. It's already been questioned on one SLC message board (and no, not KatFans) that perhaps this is an early sign that the television stations in both cities aren't too supportive of the Bobcats, whether that is as an FCS institution or in general is not certain.

Bear Fan 101
September 8th, 2008, 10:14 AM
there another board in the SLC besides Katfans or UCAfans.com? :D

TexasTerror
September 8th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I'm hearing that the Bobcats may get on the network. Just a few minor things that need to be worked out before the contract gets inked.

I'm sure the SLC appreciates the fans who are contacting the stations and thanking them for taking on the SLC TV Network. Hopefully, we'll deliver nice ratings from week to week, continue the positive feedback and more to help the conference...

centexguy
September 8th, 2008, 04:49 PM
KFDM-TV/Time Warner cable in Beaumont is now part of the SLC TV network.

Link: http://lamarcardinals.cstv.com/genrel/090808aaa.html

MaximumBobcat
September 8th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Eh, there's a few rumors about News 8 Austin (Time Warner owned) picking up some SLC games.

News 8 continually runs stories on Texas State University events and happenings all year long, as well as athletic coverage of the Bobcats.

News 8 Austin is also the channel that broadcasts the weekly postgame TxSt football show, Inside Bobcat Football with Brad Wright.

TexasTerror
September 8th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Update with Beaumont as mentioned above...

#5 DFW (UTA)
#57 Little Rock (UCA)
#94 Baton Rouge (SLU)

McTailGator
September 8th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Update with Beaumont as mentioned above...

#5 DFW (UTA)
#57 Little Rock (UCA)
#94 Baton Rouge (SLU)

Which market do you think is next?

San Antonio or New Orleans?

TexasTerror
September 8th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Which market do you think is next?

San Antonio or New Orleans?

I am hoping for NEW ORLEANS! We could use the SLC TV network here for my purposes...xnodx

TexasTerror
September 8th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Kenn Rashad of TSPN is reporting that Dallas/Fort Worth will brought into the fold as far as the Southland Television Network goes in an announcement on Tuesday...

houtexan
September 8th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I was surprised that the CBS Affiliate picked up the games in Beaumont. FOX picked them up in Lake Charles and owns the station in Beaumont. In any case. Another one down.

centexguy
September 8th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I was surprised that the CBS Affiliate picked up the games in Beaumont. FOX picked them up in Lake Charles and owns the station in Beaumont. In any case. Another one down.

KFDM has broadcast a lot of Lamar basketball games over the years so I'm not surprised they are picking up the SLC TV package.

txstatebobcat
September 8th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Kenn Rashad of TSPN is reporting that Dallas/Fort Worth will brought into the fold as far as the Southland Television Network goes in an announcement on Tuesday...

Yeah, at half time of the TxSt vs SMU game an associate director of the SLC mentioned something about signing a deal with Time-Warner that pretty much covers the whole state of Texas.

TexasTerror
September 8th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Yeah, at half time of the TxSt vs SMU game an associate director of the SLC mentioned something about signing a deal with Time-Warner that pretty much covers the whole state of Texas.

That's huge. If the SLC is reaching every corner of the state of Texas, the SLC really is making huge leaps forward. I'm guessing we'll have a more formal announcement during the SLC teleconference with a release to follow...

McTailGator
September 8th, 2008, 11:16 PM
I am hoping for NEW ORLEANS! We could use the SLC TV network here for my purposes...xnodx

Man if the SLC can work a deal with Cox Cable like they did with Time Warner, New Orleans and the rest of La. and Ark. would be more than covered.

I am impressed as hell with what the SLC has been able to do.

And they keep going and going.

TexasTerror
September 9th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Man if the SLC can work a deal with Cox Cable like they did with Time Warner, New Orleans and the rest of La. and Ark. would be more than covered.

Cox would not work for me -- I have DirecTV! xnonono2x

I am impressed as hell with what the SLC has been able to do. And they keep going and going.

Agreed - they only had a small window to make this happen and they've pulled it off as if they had months to prepare...

Bear Fan 101
September 10th, 2008, 11:31 AM
any more updates or affiliates added today?

TexasTerror
September 10th, 2008, 12:21 PM
any more updates or affiliates added today?

Not yet, but I figure we're due some more very shortly...

I didn't listen to the tailend of the SLC teleconference, so I am not certain if they provided more insight into the subject...

TexasTerror
September 10th, 2008, 06:47 PM
BIG BIG BIG NEWS! Southland TV is now going to be on FCS! Those who get the DirecTV Sports Pack can find it on Channel 617. They are working out details for basketball...Southland TV has scored it BIG!

FRISCO, Texas – The Southland Conference and Fox College Sports have reached agreement for the sports network to televise the Southland Conference Television Network, league and network officials announced Wednesday.

The agreement will give the Southland Network the potential to be seen in close to 10 million digital cable households with a potential to reach more than 54 million digital cable subscribers through Fox College Sports’ trio of regional sports networks: FCS Atlantic, FCS Central and FCS Pacific.

Fox College Sports will carry all nine football games, beginning Saturday with the Grambling State at Northwestern State game at 2 p.m., CDT. Fox College Sports has already started airing the league’s monthly magazine show, “Inside the Southland Conference,” which made its debut this month, and will also carry the championship games from the conference volleyball and baseball tournaments. The network and conference will review basketball possibilities in the coming weeks.

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=1579469

houtexan
September 17th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Great news! Just catching up after running around from Ike. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2008, 10:12 AM
FYI...

The SLC has updated their list of SLC TV stations and has made it even more clear how you can follow the network...

https://admin.xosn.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=1600371

txphi592
October 15th, 2008, 02:07 PM
I watched the Sam vs. UCA game in Austin Time Warner on some obscure "TWC 77" channel. I may be missing something, but how is this better than playing on ESPN2? Seems like ESPN would bring a MUCH broader audience to give your school a wide exposure outside the bubble of fans from your school/conference. See: Txstate playoff run in 05. If that run was on some obscure channel, I don't see much new audience watching it unless they already knew about the game.

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I watched the Sam vs. UCA game in Austin Time Warner on some obscure "TWC 77" channel. I may be missing something, but how is this better than playing on ESPN2? Seems like ESPN would bring a MUCH broader audience to give your school a wide exposure outside the bubble of fans from your school/conference. See: Txstate playoff run in 05. If that run was on some obscure channel, I don't see much new audience watching it unless they already knew about the game.

Are you serious? Do you really think that we can get a regular season game on the ESPN family of networks every week? The SWAC does, but most of the time, it showcases their embarassing officials and typically on a Thursday night infront of an empty stadium (see SU's reaction to playing on a Thursday soon).

This is coverage that the conference would not of had otherwise and when picked up on KTBU and DirecTV, is definitely expanding the product more than you probably realize.

The playoffs will make their way to ESPN2 and the such as they always have been. This is regular season football. I'm guessing you are one of those Bobcat fans who are not too well versed on FCS football and only bask in the glory of that one playoff run in 2005.

txphi592
October 15th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Are you serious? Do you really think that we can get a regular season game on the ESPN family of networks every week? The SWAC does, but most of the time, it showcases their embarassing officials and typically on a Thursday night infront of an empty stadium (see SU's reaction to playing on a Thursday soon).

This is coverage that the conference would not of had otherwise and when picked up on KTBU and DirecTV, is definitely expanding the product more than you probably realize.

The playoffs will make their way to ESPN2 and the such as they always have been. This is regular season football. I'm guessing you are one of those Bobcat fans who are not too well versed on FCS football and only bask in the glory of that one playoff run in 2005.

Ok, I thought the SLC network would have rights to all playoff games as well, didn't realize it was only regular season, which makes a whole lot more sense. With that said, I am quite "versed on FCS football", not so much on networks and how they cover the games. Next time keep your "guesses" to yourself. xsmiley_wix

Remind me how many playoff runs sam-nowhere has had recently?

txstatebobcat
October 15th, 2008, 02:30 PM

At least you were able to watch the games, so in that sense you're doing better than me. I'm stuck in a contract with dish network for another year and thus can't even see it. Next year when I switch to Time-Warner I'll be okay I guess.

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Remind me how many playoff runs sam-nowhere has had recently?

Same has more playoff runs in the last seven years than Texas State-San Marcos has had since they entered the world of Division I football in the mid-1980s. You don't want to get into that argument... ;)

And why would a conference hold TV rights to the playoffs? Makes little sense!

BobcatTXST04
October 16th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Anyone know offhand if San Antonio TWC carries this channel? Just got hooked up with digital cable so I'll be able to watch the SLC in glorious 480p!! :D

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Anyone know offhand if San Antonio TWC carries this channel? Just got hooked up with digital cable so I'll be able to watch the SLC in glorious 480p!! :D

If you read a few posts ago...

Time Warner Cable 261

https://admin.xosn.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&ATCLID=1600371

MaximumBobcat
October 16th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Same has more playoff runs in the last seven years than Texas State-San Marcos has had since they entered the world of Division I football in the mid-1980s. You don't want to get into that argument... ;)

And why would a conference hold TV rights to the playoffs? Makes little sense!

But of course, Texas State still holds the rights to the last playoff game the SLC has won.

If we win against UCA this week, looks like we will probably be the next SLC team to win a playoff game too. xnodx xnodx xnodx

BEAR
October 16th, 2008, 12:41 PM
But of course, Texas State still holds the rights to the last playoff game the SLC has won.

If we win against UCA this week, looks like we will probably be the next SLC team to win a playoff game too. xnodx xnodx xnodx

One game at a time..xcoffeex xlolx

MaximumBobcat
October 16th, 2008, 12:54 PM
One game at a time..xcoffeex xlolx

Umm...I WAS talking about the UCA game. xrotatehx :p

If we do win this Saturday, no one can argue we won't have the best chance of getting the autobid, after beating the top two teams.

TexasTerror
October 16th, 2008, 03:35 PM

Have fun in Missoula... xthumbsupx

txstatebobcat
October 16th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Have fun in Missoula... xthumbsupx

I hate to get into this conversation, but if we win out I doubt we will get a road trip.

MaximumBobcat
October 16th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I hate to get into this conversation, but if we win out I doubt we will get a road trip.

it would be tough to win out, but if we end up at 10-2, you better believe Larry Teis is opening up the checkbook to give us a home game.

TexasTerror
October 17th, 2008, 07:49 AM

If you win out, I have doubts you will be a seed. Pending what happens with Cal Poly and some of the Big Sky teams, could very well be a road game...we'll discuss soon enough. First things first, win on Saturday. A loss, you can pretty much pull yourselves out of the playoff discussion until things are more clear. :)

txstatebobcat
October 17th, 2008, 08:24 AM
If you win out, I have doubts you will be a seed. Pending what happens with Cal Poly and some of the Big Sky teams, could very well be a road game...we'll discuss soon enough. First things first, win on Saturday. A loss, you can pretty much pull yourselves out of the playoff discussion until things are more clear. :)

I didn't say anything about being seeded. I just doubt that a 10-2 team with the kind of fan following we have (at least during playoffs) will get anything else other than a home game. Again this is a moot point since there is still a ton of football left to be played between now and Thanksgiving weekend. And if there is one thing I agree with you is that we are to inconcistent to be taken seriously at this point in time.

patssle
October 17th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I would pretty much gurantee you a home game if you made playoffs, unless you were paired with a top seeded team. Home games are deterimined by who puts the most amount of money on the table. TXST has money, and with the fan support in 2005 and the drive to FBS, its only logical TXST would do whatever it can for a home game.