PDA

View Full Version : Coaches and media pick Montana first.

ncbears
July 22nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
In their annual meeting in Park City, Utah, coaches and media picked UM to win the Big SKy this year. I am a bit suprised that EW wasn't picked first, maybe it was the coaching change. UNC of course was picked last in both polls.

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/football/2008/7/22/08FBpreseasonpoll722.asp?path=football

TexasTerror
July 22nd, 2008, 08:10 AM
For those not wanting to open up the PDF...

Big Sky Conference
2008 COACHES POLL
Team (First-place votes) ..............................Points
1. Montana (7) ............................................ 63
2. Eastern Washington (1) ......................... 52
3. Northern Arizona (1) ............................. 50
4. Montana State ........................................ 40
5. Weber State ........................................... 38
6. Portland State ......................................... 30
7. Sacramento State ................................... 27
8. Idaho State .............................................. 15
9. Northern Colorado ................................ 9

2008 MEDIA POLL
Team (First-place votes) ................................ Points
1. Montana (23) .......................................... 361
2. Eastern Washington (19) ...................... 350
3. Montana State ........................................ 254
4. Northern Arizona (1) ............................. 248
5. Weber State ........................................... 229
6. Portland State ......................................... 194
7. Idaho State .............................................. 124
8. Sacramento State ................................... 113
9. Northern Colorado ................................ 65

CopperCat
July 22nd, 2008, 09:35 AM
In their annual meeting in Park City, Utah, coaches and media picked UM to win the Big SKy this year. I am a bit suprised that EW wasn't picked first, maybe it was the coaching change. UNC of course was picked last in both polls.

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/football/2008/7/22/08FBpreseasonpoll722.asp?path=football

EWU should switch them places. UM may be having a down year with some of the losses on offense, but I could be wrong (as usual). I get the feeling everyone is just going to pick UM to win it until somebody proves them otherwise.

Ronbo
July 22nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
Thinking EWU is loaded and UM is down is all good on paper but many forget that UM has tremendous depth because Hauck is such a good recruiter. We not only have backups that could start at most Big Sky schools, but they platoon with the starters every year. In an average season the backups get 35-40% of the snaps. It's a philosophy Hauck and his staff has had since they got here. That's why we have 47 returning lettermen. We also return 17 seniors and 23 Juniors. We are not that young.

appfan2008
July 22nd, 2008, 10:57 AM
UM has every right to be on top... losing players or not... when you win the conference that many years in a row, there is no reason to think otherwise

ncbears
July 23rd, 2008, 11:12 AM
UNC probably should be picked last until they start to win some games but things are still looking up. According to this article in the Greeley Tribune, the Bears are still very young, coach Downing believes about 67 percent of the team is soph or younger.

LB Joe Kenney believes the Bears will be better.

"We're looking great, and we have quite a few guys returning from last year," UNC linebacker Joe Kenney said. "We also have some real good guys coming in."

"After we beat Montana State everybody had confidence and realized that we can play with everybody here,"

http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/20080723/SPORTS/667567759/1010

ChickenMan
July 23rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
in a similiar prediction the coaches and the media prognosticated that the sun would rise in the east... :p

catbob
July 23rd, 2008, 01:04 PM
I think if Wulf and his staff would still be in Cheney, they might have been picked first. But that is too much coaching turnover to think they will be the best team in the conference (that doesn't mean they won't be, however).

ncbears
July 23rd, 2008, 01:19 PM
I think if Wulf and his staff would still be in Cheney, they might have been picked first. But that is too much coaching turnover to think they will be the best team in the conference (that doesn't mean they won't be, however).

Yeah, but didn't they hire within? I don't know how much things are changing, maybe an Eagle fan can fill us in?

eagle1
July 23rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
Same spread offense but the defense will be switching to a true 4-3 base. Coach Baldwin was the offensive coordinator at EWU from 2003-2006 before he took over as the Head Coach at Central Washington where he guided them deep into the D2 playoffs. About 85% of the players are familiar with him so the transition on offense should be fairly smooth. I think that the defense will be better with the new scheme and the d-line will carry the unit. I seriously dont mind being picked 2nd and believe that UM deserved the #1 spot because they won the conference last year. The post-season poll is what matters to me. Go Eagles!!!

CrazyCat
July 23rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
Here are a few pictures from the meeting

http://www.bigskyconf.com/images/football/2008/7/23/Nineplayersfun.jpg

GOKATS
July 23rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
Here are a few pictures from the meeting

http://www.bigskyconf.com/images/football/2008/7/23/Nineplayersfun.jpg

Bobby Daily front and center in both pics.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Who's the hippy on the left in the second pic?xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

mtgrizfan4life
July 23rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
That hippie is the best damn safety in FCS football, and the BSC next NFL safety. :) Go GRIZ!!!!! (Note to Colt, "Prove me right.")

AZGrizFan
July 23rd, 2008, 10:54 PM
That hippie is the best damn safety in FCS football, and the BSC next NFL safety. :) Go GRIZ!!!!! (Note to Colt, "Prove me right.")

Note to Colt: Stand closer to the barber next time. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx He looks ridiculous. xcoffeex

GreatAppSt
July 23rd, 2008, 11:43 PM
Coaches and media pick Montana first.

Really, I mean whoda thunk it, they picked Montana? Really?

:p

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2008, 11:45 PM

Norfolk State, UMASS, and a couple other schools might argue with you but he is definitely one of the best, at least. Colt is a sure fire 1st team AA preseason pick this year! xthumbsupx

mtgrizfan4life
July 24th, 2008, 12:53 AM
As for Colt Anderson, I know he is getting some NFL attention, to what extent I do not know. His 40 times have been listed at worse 4.6, best 4.5, The 4.6 is listed at an nfl scouting site that tracks FCS players, I will try to find the link. He definitely has the work ethic, desire, and smarts for the NFL. If his 40 is a legit 4.5 or better, I think that would really help his chances.

ncbears
July 24th, 2008, 09:31 AM
As for Colt Anderson, I know he is getting some NFL attention, to what extent I do not know. His 40 times have been listed at worse 4.6, best 4.5, The 4.6 is listed at an nfl scouting site that tracks FCS players, I will try to find the link. He definitely has the work ethic, desire, and smarts for the NFL. If his 40 is a legit 4.5 or better, I think that would really help his chances.

To bad he looks like a girl!

mtgrizfan4life
July 24th, 2008, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=ncbears;1032120]To bad he looks like a girl![/QUOTE

To Bad just like a girl, the GRIZ will still kick nc ass and colt yours. xthumbsupx

1appfan
July 24th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Just wish montana could win a few playoff games so ASU could get to play them!

ursus arctos horribilis
July 24th, 2008, 10:06 PM

Yeah that's the way it was before for us too. You guys could never win enough for us to get to play you. That all changed in 2000 though thank god so that we could get the chance to meet. Do you remember how that head to head turned out. You seem to have a fairly short memory since we were in the NC in 2004 and you were no where to be found. A short memory is what you should probably stick with.

GOKATS
July 24th, 2008, 10:09 PM

Ouch!! Poor griz.xsmiley_wix

ursus arctos horribilis
July 24th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Ouch!! Poor griz.xsmiley_wix

Why you, I oughta...

slostang
July 24th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Thinking EWU is loaded and UM is down is all good on paper but many forget that UM has tremendous depth because Hauck is such a good recruiter. We not only have backups that could start at most Big Sky schools, but they platoon with the starters every year. In an average season the backups get 35-40% of the snaps. It's a philosophy Hauck and his staff has had since they got here. That's why we have 47 returning lettermen. We also return 17 seniors and 23 Juniors. We are not that young.

Look out chatty, here come the Griz.xwhistlex

GOKATS
July 24th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Why you, I oughta...

What........................., say Go Cats!!!!xnodx :D

UNCBears2010
July 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM
[QUOTE=ncbears;1032120]To bad he looks like a girl![/QUOTE

To Bad just like a girl, the GRIZ will still kick nc ass and colt yours. xthumbsupx

Perhaps while he's in Greeley we could introduce Mr. Anderson to a barber. xnodx

grizband
July 28th, 2008, 12:44 PM
The Griz were one interception away from play ASU in the 2006 title game; with Lex healthy that year, I think we might have made it too.

putter
July 28th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Hopefully Colt will be the 2nd walk-on to be All Big Sky and play in the pros.. The first was Tim Hauck.

CrunchGriz
July 28th, 2008, 02:23 PM
To bad he looks like a girl!

Yeah, long hair is what defines "looking like a girl". xlolx

If you just popped in on your time machine from the 1950s, maybe.

And Colt will still knock your receivers' heads off, long hair and all. Just think how many slobberknockers he could deliver without this "gender confusion" on your part.

Grizo406
July 28th, 2008, 04:42 PM
[QUOTE=mtgrizfan4life;1033036]

Perhaps while he's in Greeley we could introduce Mr. Anderson to a barber. xnodx

Good luck with that...

Grizaholic17
July 28th, 2008, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE=UNCBears2010;1036418]

Good luck with that...

I actually talked with Colt the other day. It's funny you guys mention his hair, he was considering cutting it of all things. I told him to keep it though. It's a good signature for him. He's a great, funny guy. And a really good friend.