PDA

View Full Version : SME Network Broadcasters Preseason Top 25 Poll

smallcollegefbfan
July 21st, 2008, 02:40 PM
What do you guys think?

http://www.smebroadcasting.com/football/top25.html

bluehenbillk
July 21st, 2008, 02:43 PM
It looks in line, I still don't see how everyone has JMU ahead of Richmond. Richmond lost Hightower & their coach, otherwise they basically have their whole team back, & their backup RB Vaughn is a stud too. JMU lost a few people including a 4-time all league DB. Add into that that Richmond won in Harrisonburg last year. Doesn't really matter too much though, that's why they actually play the season out.

smallcollegefbfan
July 21st, 2008, 02:52 PM
It looks in line, I still don't see how everyone has JMU ahead of Richmond. Richmond lost Hightower & their coach, otherwise they basically have their whole team back, & their backup RB Vaughn is a stud too. JMU lost a few people including a 4-time all league DB. Add into that that Richmond won in Harrisonburg last year. Doesn't really matter too much though, that's why they actually play the season out.

It looks line? xthumbsupx Yes, it does look line haha.

Like you I do think Richmond should be ahead of JMU at this point. Most people are probably ranking JMU so high because they played App State tougher than Richmond last year.

Gamecocks99
July 21st, 2008, 03:12 PM
IT IS GREAT THAT JACKSONVILLE STATE GOT A FEW VOTES

bluehenbillk
July 21st, 2008, 03:15 PM

Like you I do think Richmond should be ahead of JMU at this point. Most people are probably ranking JMU so high because they played App State tougher than Richmond last year.

"In line".

OL FU
July 21st, 2008, 03:16 PM
Someone should post this on the PL inferiority complex threadxnodx

appfan2008
July 21st, 2008, 03:19 PM
lots of love for the socon but no one other than app cracking the top ten...

bluehenbillk
July 21st, 2008, 03:31 PM

That's a cheap shot, they're now just as relevant as the Pioneer, the NEC, the MEAC and those kinda power leagues aren't they? xsmiley_wix

danefan
July 21st, 2008, 03:34 PM
That's a cheap shot, they're now just as relevant as the Pioneer, the NEC, the MEAC and those kinda power leagues aren't they? xsmiley_wix

Funny you should say that. I am trying to figure out how San Diego got any votes at all.......xrolleyesx

OL FU
July 21st, 2008, 03:37 PM

If I can't get in any other shots, cheap will doxnodx xlolx

I try not to say to much though we do play Colgate before we play you guys:o xprayx xnodx

DLS
July 21st, 2008, 03:37 PM

thats what i was thinking too but really you cant blame anyone for seeing it that way

UNI Pike
July 21st, 2008, 05:34 PM
UNI at number 3? I think that this is a bit high - top ten yes, number 3 xeyebrowx

Reasons - new o-line, new QB, new secondary, and even year (Panther fans know what this means).

OL FU
July 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM
UNI at number 3? I think that this is a bit high - top ten yes, number 3 xeyebrowx

Reasons - new o-line, new QB, new secondary, and even year (Panther fans know what this means).

Top 25xconfusedx :D

BEAR
July 21st, 2008, 05:51 PM
Sam Houston at #24 and UCA at #25? I don't think either team deserves a top 25 ranking but I know for sure that UCA deserves a bit higher ranking than SHSU..xreadx We've played at their place the past 2 years and have had an easy time with the games..and now they have to come to Conway...Head to head UCA should get the nod. xmadx

<---------- by the way, the cow in my avatar is my tribute to University of California Davis (UC-Davis or whatever). Mooo Baby Moo!

Screamin_Eagle174
July 21st, 2008, 06:01 PM
Looks alright to me. UNI a little high, Cal-Poly a little low. MSU should've cracked the top 25. Although it's nice to see 2 Big Sky teams in the top 25, and 4 others receiving votes. The sky should definitely be more competitive this year.

danefan
July 21st, 2008, 06:53 PM
CSN should add the SME Poll to its consolidated matrix of polls and rankings.xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=91834

smallcollegefbfan
July 21st, 2008, 08:59 PM
CSN should add the SME Poll to its consolidated matrix of polls and rankings.xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=91834

xthumbsupx SME, Phil Steele, Sports Network, and Coaches polls should all be added. I'm sure Ralph will add them. Adding them all would make the consolidated ranking very interesting!

RabidRabbit
July 21st, 2008, 09:27 PM

And MEAC

And Big South

And SWAC

And Ivy

And NEC

Adding Big South and NEC is going to add talent to the play-off pool xlolx xlolx if this year's pre-season is any indication. xwhistlex xwhistlex

TheValleyRaider
July 21st, 2008, 09:29 PM
Adding Big South and NEC is going to add talent to the play-off pool xlolx xlolx if this year's pre-season is any indication. xwhistlex xwhistlex

Well, thank goodness we play in a level where the polls don't matter xthumbsupx

RabidRabbit
July 21st, 2008, 09:58 PM

Yep, get to prove it on the field! xcoolx

danefan
July 22nd, 2008, 08:42 AM

Correction: Thank goodness we play in a level where polls only matter for the new guys. xnonox

Tribe4SF
July 22nd, 2008, 09:18 AM
I think Richmond has to be the CAA favorite going in. Their defense should be even better this year with some new speed in the secondary, and Sherman Logan coming back at DE. They may have a new HC, but Russ Huesman is still running the D. They'll be strong at RB again with Vaughn and Forte, and Eric Ward is a year older, and wiser.

Delaware's placement seems a little high to me. Their defense should be better, but replacing Flacco and Cuff is a tall order, and the Spring left greater doubt about how good their QBs will be. Their OL was a major strength last year, and they seem less capable there this year as well. With UMass, JMU and Richmond on the road, I think they'll do well to finish 5-3 in conference. Overall I think they're 9-3 at best, and a 7-5 season won't surprise me.

WrenFGun
July 22nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Richmond is way too low. Delaware and UMass, as usual, are way too high. Are people ignoring schedules when voting in these things?

smallcollegefbfan
July 22nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
Richmond is way too low. Delaware and UMass, as usual, are way too high. Are people ignoring schedules when voting in these things?

I think many times they do. Preseason is a chance to vote people based on where you think they are in terms of talent heading into the year. Then let the schedule play out. There have been many times that a team have 2 or 3 teams ranked in the preseason who turned out to be below average and thus made their "hard schedule" much softer. Maybe it is better to put where you think teams are compared to others because if you predict the schedule that will likely make you wrong as well. Just because your schedule is hard does not mean you won't do well anyway.

CrazyCat
July 22nd, 2008, 11:23 AM
I was bored so I took the csn consolidated poll and added the SME and Phil Steele rankings. This isn't official. The numbers could be off somewhere but I think I'm close.

1.ASU (7)
2.JMU (14)
3.NDSU (28)
4.Richmond (34)
5.UMASS (36)
6.UM (40)
6.NIU (40)
8.EWU (46)
9.Delaware (57)
10.McNeese (65)
11.SIU (72)
12.Cal Poly (77)
13.Elon (84)
13.YSU (84)
15.Wofford (87)
16.NHU (105)
17.EIU (116)
17.SDSU (116)
19.GSU (118)
20.Villanova (122)
21.Citadel (130)
22.EKU (132)
23.Cent. Ark (134)
24.MSU (136)
25.NAU (142)

TheValleyRaider
July 22nd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Correction: Thank goodness we play in a level where polls only matter for the new guys. xnonox

Point taken

I was merely responding to what I saw as Rabbit's trying to make fun of the inclusion of new conferences based on their not appearing in the Preseason ranking

I am and have always been an advocate of as many autobids as possible and the NEC's strength as a conference xnodx

danefan
July 22nd, 2008, 04:46 PM
Point taken

I was merely responding to what I saw as Rabbit's trying to make fun of the inclusion of new conferences based on their not appearing in the Preseason ranking

I am and have always been an advocate of as many autobids as possible and the NEC's strength as a conference xnodx

I know. My point was in general and not really directed towards you in particular.

bleedblue
July 22nd, 2008, 11:56 PM
I think Richmond has to be the CAA favorite going in. Their defense should be even better this year with some new speed in the secondary, and Sherman Logan coming back at DE. They may have a new HC, but Russ Huesman is still running the D. They'll be strong at RB again with Vaughn and Forte, and Eric Ward is a year older, and wiser.

Delaware's placement seems a little high to me. Their defense should be better, but replacing Flacco and Cuff is a tall order, and the Spring left greater doubt about how good their QBs will be. Their OL was a major strength last year, and they seem less capable there this year as well. With UMass, JMU and Richmond on the road, I think they'll do well to finish 5-3 in conference. Overall I think they're 9-3 at best, and a 7-5 season won't surprise me.

We have alreay replaced Omar, better running backs overall. No one back is better however our running game will depend on UD's biggest question. Not QB or RB but OL will be the issue. Like I said Rb's will be very good. QB will not be anywhere near Joe, although decent, but without an OL neither RB or QB matters. The D will be fun to watch though.

Tribe4SF
July 23rd, 2008, 07:11 AM
We have alreay replaced Omar, better running backs overall. No one back is better however our running game will depend on UD's biggest question. Not QB or RB but OL will be the issue. Like I said Rb's will be very good. QB will not be anywhere near Joe, although decent, but without an OL neither RB or QB matters. The D will be fun to watch though.

You haven't replaced Omar because you haven't played a down yet without him. I realize the Hens have some promising talent at RB, but to say you've already replaced one of the greatest players in Delaware history is a bit optimistic. Beyond his considerable talent, Cuff provided the kind of leadership every coach prays for. A guy who could take a game on his shoulders, and be counted on by his team to show up for every play. The best cutback move we've seen since Bryan Westbrook.

PaladinFan
July 23rd, 2008, 07:18 AM
You haven't replaced Omar because you haven't played a down yet without him. I realize the Hens have some promising talent at RB, but to say you've already replaced one of the greatest players in Delaware history is a bit optimistic. Beyond his considerable talent, Cuff provided the kind of leadership every coach prays for. A guy who could take a game on his shoulders, and be counted on by his team to show up for every play. The best cutback move we've seen since Bryan Westbrook.

Agreed. When Ingle Martin left I thought we could easily replace him. Turns out he was a lot better than I gave him credit for.

Until the new players play a down, they are just potential. Anxious to see how the new running game looks down in Greenville. Furman usually has a very stingy run defense. You can generally throw all over us though. xsmhx

DetroitFlyer
July 23rd, 2008, 07:35 AM
What do you guys think?

http://www.smebroadcasting.com/football/top25.html

Dayton gets absolutely ZERO votes. Morehead State and San Diego? What do I think? These guys must be among the absolute dumbest people to ever vote in a football poll!

UAalum72
July 23rd, 2008, 08:47 AM
Dayton gets absolutely ZERO votes. Morehead State and San Diego? What do I think? These guys must be among the absolute dumbest people to ever vote in a football poll!
They did pick Dayton to win the PFL.

http://www.smebroadcasting.com/football/news.html

Feels like they drew straws to see who wrote these conference reviews because SOMEBODY had to write the NEC and PFL

WileECoyote06
July 23rd, 2008, 09:08 AM

Definitely. Especially when schools like McNeese may very well be 1-4 by the time their conference schedule comes up. Their only guaranteed win is Southern Virginia. Sleep on Delta State if you want to.