PDA

View Full Version : Another DIVVY

Syntax Error
July 20th, 2008, 11:08 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=back-to-famu-s-glory-days&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
Back to FAMU's glory days?
By Michael DiRocco, The Times-Union

It has been seven years since Florida A&M’s last postseason appearance, and in that time the school has dealt with a failed move to Division I, an NCAA investigation and controversy over the firing of coach Billy Joe.Uh, when was the last time FAMU was not Division I?

Syntax Error
July 20th, 2008, 11:13 PM
hint, they won the first Division I football championship in 1978...

AZGrizFan
July 20th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Forty lashes with a wet noodle!

bluehenbillk
July 21st, 2008, 07:01 AM
Pointless.

Appinator
July 21st, 2008, 07:02 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/?title=back-to-famu-s-glory-days&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1Uh, when was the last time FAMU was not Division I?

Yeah, I was reading the article about the JU v. ASU game from this same paper in which they stated App had only won the last two FCS championships. Now I would love to give them the benefit of the doubt, and say that they are so astutely involved at the FCS level to know that the first championship was for the I-AA trophy, and indeed the next were for the FCS, but I'm pretty sure I would be mistaken. I don't mean for that to sound snotty, just that he doesn't know anything about the history of I-AA/FCS.

Sounds like this paper is more interested in promoting teams hundreds of miles away, instead of local teams in need of valuable accurate coverage. Their sports editor needs to know what he's putting out there, misinformation.

Syntax Error
July 21st, 2008, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I was reading the article about the JU v. ASU game from this same paper in which they stated App had only won the last two FCS championships. Now I would love to give them the benefit of the doubt, and say that they are so astutely involved at the FCS level to know that the first championship was for the I-AA trophy, and indeed the next were for the FCS, but I'm pretty sure I would be mistaken. I don't mean for that to sound snotty, just that he doesn't know anything about the history of I-AA/FCS.

Sounds like this paper is more interested in promoting teams hundreds of miles away, instead of local teams in need of valuable accurate coverage. Their sports editor needs to know what he's putting out there, misinformation.Yeah, in 1978 the NCAA started their Division I football tournament for which teams in the subdivision I-AA competed. I-AA was relabled FCS two years ago. It is still the only NCAA Division I football tournament. Anyone who reports on college football should know that.

93henfan
July 21st, 2008, 11:52 AM
I think we're all savvy enough to know what they mean. If not, you're just going to be frustrated your whole life, because we will never be considered D-I to most BCS fans.

It's worth noting that many of the FCS/I-AA teams transitioned from D-II to D-IAA in different years. Traditional powers such as Delaware and Youngstown St, for instance, transitioned a few years later than schools like FAMU, UMass, EKU, etc. From 1978-1980, the I-AA playoffs was only a four team playoff due to the limited number of teams who had made the transition.

The historical lineage of this subdivision is:
1. Small college classification (beginning-1972) - champion determined by AP/UPI polls
2. Div II (1973-1977, with schools transitioning to D-IAA the next four seasons)
3. Div I-AA (1978-2006)
4. Div I FCS (2007-present)

Hence, my signature correctly states that Delaware has six championships at this level. If you'd like to play semantics, then we'll have to take away a lot of trophies from a lot of FCS schools, since the only rightful owner of any would be App St.xnodx