PDA

View Full Version : Former JSU coach joins College Hall of Fame

Mr. Tiger
July 19th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I had to post this to say congrats to legendary former Jackson State Coach W.C. Gordon. xthumbsupx

Former JSU coach to join elite today

By David Brandt • [email protected] • July 19, 2008

SOUTH BEND, IND. — From a national perspective, former Jackson State football coach W.C. Gorden won his 119 football games in obscurity, scratching out victories in places like Itta Bena and Prairie View.

On the other hand, Penn State coach Joe Paterno and former Boston College quarterback Doug Flutie are household names, guys who have won high-profile games watched by millions on national television.

Today, none of that matters. All three are part of a 20-person class that will be granted the sport's highest honor tonight: induction into the National Football Foundation's College Football Hall of Fame.

"This is really beyond my imagination," said Gorden, who was the head coach at JSU from 1976 to 1991. "It's like in the biblical days when they anointed somebody - it makes me feel so, so good."

Gorden, 78, is the fifth JSU representative inducted into the Hall. He'll join coach John Merritt and players Willie Richardson, Walter Payton and Kevin Dent.

Among Gorden's long list of accomplishments include eight Southwestern Athletic Conference titles and 28 consecutive league victories from 1985 to 1989. He was inducted into the SWAC Hall of Fame in 1994 and the Mississippi Hall of Fame in 1997.

His recent rise to the national stage is no surprise to either his former players or his contemporaries.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080719/SPORTS030101/807190341/1073

Go...gate
July 19th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Congratulations to Coach Gordon! xthumbsupx

TheValleyRaider
July 19th, 2008, 11:45 PM
You mean it isn't Bell xconfusedx :p

Congrats Coach Gordon xthumbsupx

JagHammer
July 20th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Congrats to Coach W.C. Gorden!

blackcaesar3k5
July 21st, 2008, 03:14 AM
Coach W.C. Gorden definitely deserves his place in hall of fame..