PDA

View Full Version : Question for the board

JMG1MON
October 17th, 2005, 09:35 PM
I was talking to a co-worker today about the pee-wee football team he helps coach. He was telling me about an offense a team ran against his team a couple of weeks ago. The offense was similar to the wishbone. However, it was not the wishbone. Here is what my friend was telling me.
1st, the qb lines up behind center, in a 3 pt. stance. 2 of the running backs line up in the backfield, in the a gap, both in a 3 pt. stance, and then then 3rd rb lines up behind the guard. The qb is the furthest person back in the formation. My co-worker talked to the opposing team's head coach and said it is the same offense he ran in college. Anyone ever here of something like this??? I have watched lots of high school and college games over the years and I never have seen anything remotely like this!!!

DB_Atlantic10
October 17th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Sounds like the old double wing-t....where the QB squats and he ball goes in forty directions before you know who actually has it..... if you don't know how to stop it, you are dead in the water, once you figure it out, they are dead in the water.....

jmuroller
October 17th, 2005, 09:44 PM
I think it is called the Notre Dame Box, or something to that effect. Only they aren't in 3 points stances.

colgate13
October 17th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Sounds like the old double wing-t....where the QB squats and he ball goes in forty directions before you know who actually has it..... if you don't know how to stop it, you are dead in the water, once you figure it out, they are dead in the water.....

If it's high school or pee wee ball, just follow the guards... End of story with that misdirection crap.

walliver
October 18th, 2005, 02:04 AM
It sounds a lot like the single wing, where the full back and halfback stand behind the center (who can snap to either one), the "quarterback" is essentially a blocking back, and the wingback is primarily a receiver/blocker (but can run a reverse). Usually there is an unbalanced line also.

In practice, this offense is not that different from the modern "Bowden offense", except in the modern offense, the ball is usually snapped to the "quarterback" (formerly called the fullback), and rarely snapped to the halfback (the quarterback generally hands off to the running back)

GoGuins
October 18th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Sounds like the Single Wing to me also

Single Wing (http://www.coachwyatt.com/singlewing.html)

SoCon48
October 18th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Sounds like the Single Wing (Notre Dame Box) to me, too.
Two would line up in a 3 point stance (BB and WB), but the tailback would always be in an upright crouching stance similar to a linebacker.
We ran it all the way through high school Hardly anyone else did. Georgia Tech ran it successfully for years while everyone else had gone to the T.

Works great with a strong fast Tailback, a good Blocking Back, and a quick WingBack. My High School team ran up 87 points one night. 1st, 2nd, 3rd string ran 45 Fake Pass (not really much of a fake) all night. WingBack Around worked anytime during the game.
The Tailback made All-American and averaged 10 yards a carry his Jr and Sr year.
It was particularly difficult to defend since defenses likely only saw it once a season.