PDA

View Full Version : The Holy Cross/Colgate thread

justballn21
October 17th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Gentlemen I dare say this is the biggest game all season for both Colgate and Lehigh, and the results could turn the PLC tide. Colgate is looking strong after winning 3 in a row, while Holy Cross has taken everyone by surprise this year. Get your game helmets on folks this is going to be a good one!

TheValleyRaider
October 17th, 2005, 06:48 PM
This should be a great game. 2 teams that like to play ball-control and work to limit their mistakes (although I dare say one has been more effective at that to this point). Colgate brings in an improving offense, a stellar defense, and a team on the rise. I'll hold off on a prediction until later in the week, but it should be a barnburner in Woostah.

This is the first of 5 consecutive games that will probably determine the PL Title.

10/22-Colgate at Holy Cross
10/29-Lehigh at Colgate
11/5-Colgate at Lafayette
11/12-Lafayette at Holy Cross
11/19-Lafayette at Lehigh

ngineer
October 17th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Yes, we'll be listening closely for the scores. With Lehigh at Bucknell this weekend, I'll probably take in D-III Moravian's game at newly refurbished Steel Field in Bethlehem, with my headset on.
This should be an old classic ground control game, with passing just enough to keep people honest. Fitton should start getting some decent crowds with the 'saders recent rise. Possible showers/rain in areas of the East this Saturday. HC, too me, is too one dimensional with Silva. I would expect 'gate to everything possible to shut him down and force O'Neil to beat 'em because the Raiders have a stellar secondary.
Both coaches known for their intensity should have their charges up. Leading with my heart I'll take the Raiders 21-16.

blukeys
October 17th, 2005, 10:34 PM
I saw Colgate on the tube and HC in person and I have to go with HC in a close one. UD beat HC on pure athleticism which I don't believe Colgate possesses. HC does not turn the ball over and has a poised senior team. Lehigh on paper should have beaten HC but they didn't. HC can beat a team that is at least equal or slightly better than they are athletically. My prediction is that after this weekend the PL needs to pin their hopes on Lafayette to stop HC. :cool: :cool:

ChickenMan
October 18th, 2005, 08:19 AM
I agree... Holy Cross appears to a team that is well coached and gets the most out of their abilities. Colgate will have to 'beat' them... HC won't beat themselves.

Goodspeed
October 18th, 2005, 09:22 AM
I'll take Biddle's experience over Gilmore's intimidation. We need the Raider's help this weekend. Colgate 21 HC 10.

Tubby Raymond
October 18th, 2005, 11:17 AM
HC in a squeeker, concur with Bluekeys

TheValleyRaider
October 18th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Interesting how this thread has more responses from Delaware fans than from Colgate/HC fans.

If your opinion of Colgate is based on the team you saw against UMass, then your opinion needs some updating. Saraceno has done a much better job of leading the offense since he came back in after Sloan's injury, like how he nearly rallied the Raiders past Dartmouth that day. I'd also venture to say that HC's defense is no where near as good as UMass, which was definately a part of Colgate only generating a field goal that day. The defense has shown themselves to be capable of winning games for the Raiders, while the offense is beginning to mature. Colgate will certainly throw the ball with the recieving options that have been developing, and Jordan Scott has been strong and effective since becoming the starting TB against Cornell. There's also Geoff Bean returning kicks, who is more than capable of maintaining solid field position for the offense.

ChickenMan
October 18th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Interesting how this thread has more responses from Delaware fans than from Colgate/HC fans.

If your opinion of Colgate is based on the team you saw against UMass, then your opinion needs some updating.

Another factor...

Holy Cross beat Dartmouth... Colgate didn't...

umassfan
October 18th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Holy Cross got beat by Delaware... Nuff said... they will not beat Colgate!

ChickenMan
October 18th, 2005, 02:31 PM
UMass got beat by Colgate... nuff said... they will not beat Delaware! ... :D

umassfan
October 18th, 2005, 02:35 PM
UMass got beat by Colgate... nuff said... they will not beat Delaware! ... :D
By the time you play us you will have 5 losses so I could name off any one of them to top you.

ChickenMan
October 18th, 2005, 02:40 PM
By the time you play us you will have 5 losses so I could name off any one of them to top you.

I really do hope ole UMass comes into the Tub as 'puffed up' as you seem to be... beating UMass is a Hen tradition and it will be even sweeter this year... ;)

TheValleyRaider
October 18th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Holy Cross got beat by Delaware... Nuff said... they will not beat Colgate!

Wait a minute! Is that umassfan defending Colgate twice in one week?!? :eek: :eek: ;)

blukeys
October 18th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Wait a minute! Is that umassfan defending Colgate twice in one week?!? :eek: :eek: ;)

Not only that but he also has had a St. Paul's conversion regarding field conditions. Here are his thoughts about that subject from another thread.

Originally Posted by umassfan
Give it a rest!

I believe all 16 of your post have all been bitching about this field... I remember many times where they played games on fields much worse then this. When are you going to quit bitching and move on to your game vs Delaware?

So I guess Colgate's playoff win in '03 is finally legitimate as even Umassfan agrees that 16 posts complaining about field conditions is excessive. ;) ;) ;) ;)

blukeys
October 18th, 2005, 07:09 PM

If your opinion of Colgate is based on the team you saw against UMass, then your opinion needs some updating. Saraceno has done a much better job of leading the offense since he came back in after Sloan's injury, like how he nearly rallied the Raiders past Dartmouth that day. I'd also venture to say that HC's defense is no where near as good as UMass, which was definately a part of Colgate only generating a field goal that day. The defense has shown themselves to be capable of winning games for the Raiders, while the offense is beginning to mature. Colgate will certainly throw the ball with the recieving options that have been developing, and Jordan Scott has been strong and effective since becoming the starting TB against Cornell. There's also Geoff Bean returning kicks, who is more than capable of maintaining solid field position for the offense.

I have been following Colgate's chances and I am well aware that in the Umass game the Colgate QB was thrown into the fire (He too made very few mistakes). I was also impressed by the Colgate defense and young running backs.

I have predicted a close game and my experience is that a motivated senior team with the kind of experience HC has usually can pull the close ones out.
Colgate does not quite fit that category.

I thought that Lehigh was a more talented team than HC overall based on seeing both teams but I was not surprised when HC won. HC was very poised and played hard to the very end of the game. That and HC has a very good ball player in Silva who can make an impact in a variety of ways.

HC is one of those very annoying teams that if you let them stay close they can hit a few plays and then bite you in the rear at the end of the game. We UD fans are just trying to offer our insight s based on seeing 2 good PL teams. As you know scores do not tell the whole story. We don't have a dog in this hunt and quite frankly have much more to worry about than to try to be biased about a PL game that does not impact our fortunes one iota.

justballn21
October 18th, 2005, 07:49 PM
I'd put HC's experienced defense vs. the young Colgate offense right now. Also, the rumor is saying that Saraceno is hurt, and that Anthony Fucillo might be starting this week. WIth him that makes 4 freshmen starting on offense. If I were A Colgate fane I'd be a little weary.

colgate13
October 18th, 2005, 09:23 PM
I'd put HC's experienced defense vs. the young Colgate offense right now. Also, the rumor is saying that Saraceno is hurt, and that Anthony Fucillo might be starting this week. WIth him that makes 4 freshmen starting on offense. If I were A Colgate fane I'd be a little weary.

You'll have to wish a little harder than that HC fans - it takes more than that to make a Colgate fan weary. Saraceno is NOT hurt and will be in full force this Saturday. You'll also have to check your math a little bit. We have two freshman starters, Jordan Scott (who just got his 3rd PL Rookie of the Week in as many starts) and Steve Jonas at right tackle. Brent Dillingham is playing at lot at TE as well, but he is not the starter. Personally, I wish he was. He is going to be a very fine TE one day. As of right now, he's just very good.

I'll post my full thoughts on this after I get my blog piece done, but I tell you what, I'm loving this confidence that HC is displaying. It will be so nice to bring them back down to reality.

Too many people are judging Colgate on two games. This team you will face Saturday is not that same team. The offense is not 'young' per se. 5 starters are seniors, 4 are juniors. The freshman that are playing are not playing in their first game.

Colgate is coming on strong and playing its best football of the season. The best part is that it still has even better football in store.

How about the Colgate defense matchup against Holy Cross offense? Don't be surprised if Colgate can limit Steve Silva's impact in the game. Our defensive backs will probably be the best you've seen all year. We will focus on stopping the run and allow our d backs to make the plays they have been doing all year. We've got 3 defense players ranked in the top 20 nationally in INTs.

It will be a great game, and it is taking some serious restraint on my part to talk rationally about it and not get Homer too fired up! My head tells me it will be a good game, but my heart says Colgate will be opening a can of whoop-ass!:p

Lehigh Football Nation
October 18th, 2005, 09:37 PM
My head tells me it will be a good game, but my heart says Colgate will be opening a can of whoop-ass!:p

Sweeter music I have not heard from a Colgate fan this year. :cool:

justballn21
October 18th, 2005, 10:02 PM
great point Colgate13. I don't doubt that Colgate is going to bring it, since they have been in title contention every year for I don't know how long. I did read my scouting report wrong, as Jeff Brown is the starting TE. I'm interested to see how the offense responds to a defense they probably haven't seen all season. Saraceno is a great qb who ran all over fordham, and Ben Evans can simply level people if they stand too high. But to see how you play against a 3-4 defense will be the most fun. I think it will be an all out brawl from the first whistle. Leave the women and children at home.

But by experience I didn't mean to limit it to freshmen starters. You only have 4 starters returning from a powerhouse offense, although Jake Sulovski is a great athlete as he also plays guard on punt, which indicates that he can get it movin. You have great athletic recievers, but I think the biggest question for you guys offesively is your offensice line.

Overall I think it's going to be another great Patriot League game for the ages. Colgate has indeed found its groove and will no doubt give HC all that it can handle. I'm not going to even try to predict who is going to win this, but all i know is that it's going to be a slobberknocker!

hvsader
October 18th, 2005, 10:12 PM
I like HC's chances with the 1-dimensional Silva leading the way

ngineer
October 18th, 2005, 10:38 PM
great point Colgate13. I don't doubt that Colgate is going to bring it, since they have been in title contention every year for I don't know how long. I did read my scouting report wrong, as Jeff Brown is the starting TE. I'm interested to see how the offense responds to a defense they probably haven't seen all season. Saraceno is a great qb who ran all over fordham, and Ben Evans can simply level people if they stand too high. But to see how you play against a 3-4 defense will be the most fun. I think it will be an all out brawl from the first whistle. Leave the women and children at home. But by experience I didn't mean to limit it to freshmen starters. You only have 4 starters returning from a powerhouse offense, although Jake Sulovski is a great athlete as he also plays guard on punt, which indicates that he can get it movin. You have great athletic recievers, but I think the biggest question for you guys offesively is your offensice line.

Overall I think it's going to be another great Patriot League game for the ages. Colgate has indeed found its groove and will no doubt give HC all that it can handle. I'm not going to even try to predict who is going to win this, but all i know is that it's going to be a slobberknocker!

Are you planning an orgy in Fitton?? :D

colgate13
October 19th, 2005, 12:59 PM
I'm interested to see how the offense responds to a defense they probably haven't seen all season.

UMass has an pretty OK defense.

That said, our defense won that game for us. We looked ineffective on Offense that game... BUT, it was Lee Sloan at quarterback and Steve Hansen at tailback. Not the same two that have been winning games for us lately.

It will be a great game. I'm just still trying to tame Homer! :nod:

EDIT: I just re-read your post. I see what you are saying now. I personally don't think a 3-4 vs. a 4-3 vs. a 4-4 or whatever a team runs has that much of an impact against an offense at this level. I think Colgate will respond just fine!

colgate13
October 20th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Here's my full Colgate/Holy Cross thoughts from my blog prediction:

I have tried very hard to leave Homer at home for this prediction, but I must warn my readers. He is giddy as a school girl waiting for the prom to come. Feel free to call me out on anything, but this is how I (I think it's me and not Homer) see it going down on Saturday.

Colgate continued to step up their play last week after a few early season stumbles, this time blanking Fordham at home. The crusaders put away one of Colgate's stumbles last weekend, beating the Big Green of Dartmouth for their fifth win of the season. Both teams are comfortably in the win column for the season and have no league losses. Folks, this showdown is huge!

Colgate's has had Holy Cross's number since 2000, but there have been plenty of close games along the way that could have easily gone the Crusaders way. These teams appear to be more evenly matched than in the past, so hopes must be high in Worcester that the Sader Return to Glory will continue to march on this year. Colgate will be equally charged for the contest as nothing will erase those early losses faster than another step towards the Patriot League crown.

The higher profile battle between these teams will be a solid Colgate defense lined up against a potent and mistake free Holy Cross offense that is boasting one of I-AA's best players this season, Walter Payton candidate Steve Silva. It will be a great one to watch as Colgate has done a great job stopping the run so far and Silva has done a great job racking up the yards. In addition to the ground threat, Holy Cross quarterback John O'Neil will be looking for wide receiver Sean Gruber to keep Colgate's defense honest. How O'Neil fares against what could be the best secondary he has seen so far will also be a large factor in the outcome of this game.

However, I think it is the other match up that will decide this game: the 'gate offense against the Sader defense. Colgate's offense has quietly come together since quarterback Mike Saraceno returned from injury and ranks only 11 spots behind the more publicized Holy Cross squad. They will be facing a Holy Cross defense that, at least statistically speaking, has not been as tough as the Raider's schedule so far, Fordham excluded - although only by a hair. I know that statistics are often meaningless since the game is played on the field and not with a slide rule, but those numbers jive with my intuition. Can Holy Cross contain Jordan Scott and the 'gate receivers and a newly emerged weapon in Saraceno running it himself?

Of course, it cannot be overlooked just how much special teams might play into this contest. The two best return men in the Patriot League, as well as some of the best in the nation, will face off in the form of Steve Silva and Geoff Bean. If one team can exploit that area better than the other, it could be the touchdown that makes all the difference in this one.

With all that to digest, here's how I see it playing out: Colgate's got a good defense but Holy Cross will find a way to score some points. That is largely a given in my book. Colgate has got to find a way to score more, most likely in the recipe that has worked so well so far: Scott with a lot of carries and multiple receivers burning the Crusader secondary. The fact that it has been working so well is what leads me to believe in a Colgate victory here. Special teams play could swing it the other way, but I wouldn't be surprised if both teams kick away. The weather looks to be a non issue and it is parent's weekend at Holy Cross. How I wish this game was televised!

Predicted outcome: Colgate 28 Holy Cross 17. (Homer might be responsible for a 3-7 point swing in Colgate's favor)

ngineer
October 20th, 2005, 09:36 AM
I still stand by my 21-16 prediction in Colgate's favor. Silva will get 'some' yards, butI think the Colgate defense contains him well. Lehigh shut him down from scrimmage and got burned on the punt return. Granted that game was in a monsoon, but Rath had 144 yards rushing that day in the same conditions.
Should the Raider defense do it's job, then I anticipate O'Neil having to go to the air more than he and Gilmore like, which could result in an interception or two with the Raiders' experienced secondary. Weather could be factor as rain is expected further south on the east coast. Don't know if it will reach Worcester on Saturday. Both teams will be pumped and HC should have a nice crowd. If they don't get close to 15,000 at Fitton for this game (assuming decent weather) then something's wrong.

colgate13
October 20th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Rain is currently 30% for Saturday. I'm hoping it holds off.