PDA

View Full Version : JMU or UMass

ChickenMan
October 17th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Delaware is not a very good team right now... but despite that fact... I still expect that the Hens will pull off at least one big upset (JMU or UMass) on their home field in the coming weeks. So if I were a UMass fan... I'd be a Hen fan this week... ;)

Maroon&White
October 17th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Delaware is not a very good team right now... but despite that fact... I still expect that the Hens will pull off at least one big upset (JMU or UMass) on their home field in the coming weeks. So if I were a UMass fan... I'd be a Hen fan this week... ;)

Of course I'm a Hens fan this week - I want to hear JMU complaining about field conditions again.

Hansel
October 17th, 2005, 08:54 AM
I think they win both games....

bandl
October 17th, 2005, 08:57 AM
They won't win either. They just are not on the same level of play as Umass or JMU. The only chance against UMass is if create lots of turnovers with good field position (ala Colgate) because there is just no way they will score against that hellacious D. And I think that JMU's offense, along with their damn good defense (not as good as Umass's though...that was just stifling to watch), is too much to overcome this year for UD.

89Hen
October 17th, 2005, 09:10 AM
They won't win either. They just are not on the same level of play as Umass or JMU.
Agreed. :(

ChickenMan
October 17th, 2005, 09:20 AM
They won't win either. They just are not on the same level of play as Umass or JMU.

Apparently you don't know too much about the A10... EVERYONE in the league is on or near the 'same level'. There's just not a huge gap between the top and bottom and from week to week anything can happen. Very recent examples...

UNH 53 URI 9

W&M 42 UNH 10

URI 49 W&M 29

;)

bandl
October 17th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Apparently you don't know too much about the A10... EVERYONE in the league is on or near the 'same level'. There's just not a huge gap between the top and bottom and from week to week anything can happen. Very recent examples...

UNH 53 URI 9

W&M 42 UNH 10

URI 49 W&M 29

;)

I only see 3 teams mentioned...UNH, URI, W&M...I guess you're going to assume that UD is still at or near the top of the A-10, even after losing to Towson...then Hofstra...then Richmond. It must be hard to admit, and it's hard for me to fathom as I have always been a UD fan (except in certain games ;) ), but facts are facts. UD is going through a tough year, and it's only going to get worse with a minimum of 5 league losses by year's end. The gap is not HUGE between the top and bottom, but it's definitely large enough for everyone to realize who can be considered in the 'top' and who can be considered in the 'bottom'.

ChickenMan
October 17th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Apparently you missed the point... I'm sure by your standards URI (3-4) is not in the same league as W&M... after all URI lost to UNH by 44 points and W&M crushed UNH by 32. But wait... URI did upset W&M by... 19... :eek:

Anything can happen in the A10 and as poorly as UD has played in the past fews weeks... they are certainly capable of stepping up... at home and upseting the likes of JMU or UMass or any other higher ranked A10 team.

bandl
October 17th, 2005, 10:00 AM
I'm not talking about URI, UNH or W&M...UD, JMU and UMass are the teams in discussion. There was no way UD was going to lose to Towson because Towson had never won an A-10 game. Then there was no way UD was going to lose to Hofstra because that would have been 2 losses in a row for them...almost unheard of for such a program. And then there was no way they would lose to Richmond because that would have been 3 losses in a row, which IS unheard of (when was the last time that happened?? .'89?) I said it before...it's hard to fathom for such a respectable program, but I just don't see UD beating JMU or Umass because of the VERY apparent strengths of both teams.

Don't get me wrong Chickenman...I'm not trying to bash UD at all. I always root for them (almost always :p ), I love going to see a game there, and I love the fans...but this is just not their year. If an upset does happen...it will be a HUGE upset. You are right though...anything can happen...which is why I won't go so far as to predict a guaranteed winner in this game (I did that last week, before seeing how good Umass's defense was)...but the odds are overwhelmingly against UD against JMU and Umass.

It's a shame that the JMU/UD 'I-AA game of the week' is not the game of the week for the reason that everyone voted it for...two power teams battling for A-10 supremacy. Now it's one A-10 team trying to stay near the top and one A-10 team trying to get out of the cellar.

ChickenMan
October 17th, 2005, 10:13 AM
My point has little to do with current state of UD. It has to do with the competitiveness of the A10... where upsets are as much the rule as they are the exception. UD is now in that underdog role and as a home dog... the Hens will likely be a tough W for any A10 opponent.

bandl
October 17th, 2005, 10:16 AM
My point has little to do with current state of UD. It has to do with the competitiveness of the A10...

You're in the wrong thread then ...look at the title of the thread.

ChickenMan
October 17th, 2005, 10:17 AM
You're in the wrong thread then ...look at the title of the thread.

:bang: :bang: :bang:

bandl
October 17th, 2005, 10:22 AM
:bang: :bang: :bang:

3 head butts for the 3 losses to 'bottom' teams for UD, right?? :D

ChickenMan
October 17th, 2005, 10:27 AM
3 head butts for the 3 losses to 'bottom' teams for UD, right?? :D

I'll stick by my original prediction... UD will upset either JMU or UMass in the Tub... ;)

bandl
October 17th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I'll stick by my original prediction... UD will upset either JMU or UMass in the Tub... ;)

Fair enough! We're all entitled to our predictions! I was proven very wrong the last time I tried to predict a guaranteed JMU win (and UD win for that matter)!!

bluehenbillk
October 17th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Even the annual gimme game against UMass looks tough now.