PDA

View Full Version : Keep Don Patterson (WIU HC) in your thoughts and prayers

Herdman
July 12th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Football: Former Iowa assistant has cancer
FROM REGISTER NEWS SERVICES • July 11, 2008

Western Illinois football coach Don Patterson, a longtime assistant coach at Iowa under Hayden Fry, will take an immediate leave of absence after a recent diagnosis of tonsillar cancer.

The school made the announcement on its Web site on Friday.

Patterson, 57, will have surgery Monday in Iowa City and will miss preseason camp and several games early in the season. Assistant head coach and offensive coordinator Mark Hendrickson, also a former Hawkeye assistant, will serve as acting head coach.

“I have been told that I am really the ideal patient because of my health and lifestyle,” Patterson said.

ASUMountaineer
July 12th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Will do, best of luck to him.

slostang
July 12th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Get well soon coach. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Go...gate
July 12th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Coach of a respected playoff opponent for Colgate. Thoughts and prayers will be with him.

Reed Rothchild
July 12th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Coach Patterson is a class act! Hopes and prayers for the best!!!

ngineer
July 12th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Coach Patterson is a class act! Hopes and prayers for the best!!!

Yes, sorry to hear of this. I remember back in 2000 when Lehigh pulled off the huge upset at WIU, Patterson was very gracious and acknowledged that their Patriot opponent certainly proved everyone wrong about 'belonging' in the playoffs. He also apologized for some of the trash talk his players were jabbering during pre-game warmups. I hope he gets through this in good shape.
Seems to me like there has been an upsurge of throat cancers, including thyroid. I've known of several people, locally, that have had this diagnosis..and they are not smokers. Strange disease we have yet to figure out.

SeattleGriz
July 13th, 2008, 01:29 AM
I am familiar with this.

Coach is in my prayers.

MplsBison
July 13th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I wish him all the best luck in the world and hope he gets better soon!

But I definitely will not put my hands together and pretend I'm talking to something that doesn't exist.

TheValleyRaider
July 13th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Definately seems like a classy guy. I remember him and his team from 2003 as well xnodx

Wish him the best xprayx

BEAR
July 13th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Coach is in our prayers.

Syntax Error
July 13th, 2008, 12:50 PM
Get well soon coach!

http://www.wiuathletics.com//pics3/640/PD/PDLSCAUBJHGLEBA.20080206235056.jpg

Jaxhen
July 13th, 2008, 08:48 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you coach for a full and speedy recovery. God bless!