PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Piney Woods - SHSU vs SFA

TexasTerror
October 17th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Stephen F. Austin State Lumberjacks
vs. Sam Houston State Bearkats
Thursday, October 20th, 7 PM, Huntsville, Texas (Fox Sports SW)

An Eye on the Kats: Bearkat fans are not happy. The 2004 Bearkats went 11-3, the largest improvement at the Division I level of NCAA football after a 2-9 campaign (since improved to 3-8 due to forfeit) in 2003. These Kats seem destined to head in the opposite direction. While the Kats had solid special teams play and limited penalties, the Kats did not have much else positive to report in their loss to SLC foe Nicholls St in Thibodaux. This is a rivalry game and it has had great moments over the years which have left an imprint in the minds of fans on both sides. Even when one of these two teams have struggled, this game is always close as a rivalry game should be.

An Eye on the Jacks: A team with expectations. SFA has fallen behind in almost each of their games (with the exception being against Western Illinois). In three of those four games in which they have fallen behind, they won two and made a game out of the third. The Jacks are a very offensive minded team putting up 34.7 ppg and have Zeke Dixon behind the center, always a threat to light up any opponents' defense. While averaging 291 yards per game through the air, the Jacks are also averaging 135 yards on the ground. While the goal of I-AA playoffs and an SLC championship may not be on the radar this year, the Jacks are always competitive, especially in this rivalry game.

Keys for the Kats:
1) Take the early lead. As mentioned above, the Jacks have fallen behind in each of their games and outside of being blown out against Montana St, they have shown they get better with time. If the Kats can come out of the gates, grab the lead and force the Jacks to come from behind through the air, I think the Kats have a better chance to stop them and win the game. Tony Jones is coming off a strong game for the Kats as is Robert Herron. These two and the rest of the secondary will be looked upon to shut Dixon down when he airs it out.

2) Avoiding laundry for a second week. Three penalties for twenty yards was all the Kats suffered last week. The Jacks are averaging 70 yards of penalties. The Kats are averaging 65 penalty yards per game. This game seems to bring out the laundry of the yellow variety as there are intense emotions before, during and after this game as we all know. Whichever team can avoid the penalties and stay disciplined will be a major winner here.

3) Down and Distance. Everyone loves a 2nd and short. The Kats simply have not had those favorable down and distances this year. Completing 29% of your 3rd downs is not good, especially when you have a foe like SFA who has completed nearly 40% of theirs. This simply comes down to blocking on all fronts. Whether it's a WR that needs to get a block when the Kats dump it to a WR in the slot or if it's a RB looking for some holes, the Kats are going to need to get more yards on first and second down than we've seen thus far. The Kats aren't going to convert 3rd and 8 and 3rd and 7. If we have a third down, it needs to be shorter or let's try avoiding them!

TT's Prediction: Sam 34-31 SFA. This is a rivalry game and it's going to come down to the end. Everyone on each side will tell you that much. Lance Garner. Remember that name. Also remember Cory Long. These are your two kickers and the last two games have come down to kicks (SFA won on a 54 yarder by Ryan Rossner in 2003 after their kicker had botched shorter kicks and in 2004, Steven Hagler blocked an SFA kick by Rossner that would've tied the game). Garner nailed from 40 out against Nicholls and he'll need to kick one into the Couch Potatoes this week, Kats win on a 4th quarter FG.

Look forward to the game. Everyone get your Couch Potatoes tickets or tickets in general early. Don't tailgate until game time. Get into Bowers early if you want to be on TV or have a great seat. This is a big game for the Kats and we'll need another loud, supportive Bearkat crowd!

TxState_GO_CATS!
October 17th, 2005, 08:28 AM
42-21 SAM

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Which town has better barbecue? Years ago, I had the best barbecue I've ever eaten in a little hole-in-the-wall (complete with sawdust on the floor) in Nacogdoches near the SFA campus. Does Huntsville have any good places?

TexasTerror
October 17th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Which town has better barbecue? Years ago, I had the best barbecue I've ever eaten in a little hole-in-the-wall (complete with sawdust on the floor) in Nacogdoches near the SFA campus. Does Huntsville have any good places?

What are you talking about?

Huntsville has always had the best BBQ. Heard of Mt Zion Baptist Church? Been featured on many of news stations throughout Texas, Texas Country, Texas Monthly and everyone else. I never even heard of a place near Nacogdoches or in Nacogdoches for that matter that was as well known as 'Church BBQ'.

txstatebobcat
October 17th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Huntsville's BBQ is probably better. However, everyone knows Cental Texas BBQ reigns supreme.

Either way, the SHSU vs SFA is truly one of the great rivalry matchups in I-AA. I highly recomend that everyone see this game.

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2005, 11:28 AM
What are you talking about?

Huntsville has always had the best BBQ. Heard of Mt Zion Baptist Church? Been featured on many of news stations throughout Texas, Texas Country, Texas Monthly and everyone else. I never even heard of a place near Nacogdoches or in Nacogdoches for that matter that was as well known as 'Church BBQ'.

Don't take it personally, Tex. The only time I was ever in Huntsville was for a high school speech tournament about 35 years ago. I mean, I've never even witnessed an execution there! ;)

"OK, honey, go ahead and inject the sumb*tch with the eternal joy juice and, while you're at it, pass me some of that Church BBQ!" :D

TxSt02
October 17th, 2005, 11:51 AM
Don't take it personally, Tex. The only time I was ever in Huntsville was for a high school speech tournament about 35 years ago. I mean, I've never even witnessed an execution there! ;)

"OK, honey, go ahead and inject the sumb*tch with the eternal joy juice and, while you're at it, pass me some of that Church BBQ!" :D

I like you! You have things figured out!!!

BCisforBobcatTX
October 17th, 2005, 01:19 PM
SHSU - 77 SFA - 7.....Oh, wait, SFA's not Bacone College(yaknow, the ONLY win Sam has this year), my bad. If you think those boys in purple aren't going to play their hearts out just as hard as the 'Kats then that's a big mistake. Off the top of my head I can tell you that Sam is overmatched in two big departments: coaching and quarterback. I'm not going to worry about this "Battle for the Piney Woods"(I don't know who would want to battle for the Piney Woods to begin with, but that's a whole 'nother story) because the real 'Cats are playing their own huge game with SLC title implications against Northwestern State. My prediction for ya'll's game is SFA by two td's.

Eat 'em up, 'Cats

EDIT: Oh yea, on the BBQ thing, there are some pretty good BBQ places in Sack-o-roaches. Can't remember the names of them off the top of my head. Been through Huntsville. Looks like God decided to take a dump and name it Huntsville. Can't imagine any BBq there's any good, but I'll take your word on it, Terror.

McNeese75
October 17th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Huntsville's BBQ is probably better. However, everyone knows Cental Texas BBQ reigns supreme.

Either way, the SHSU vs SFA is truly one of the great rivalry matchups in I-AA. I highly recomend that everyone see this game.

There is a couple of places called "Saltlick" in the Austin area that will throwdown with anyone's BBQ!!! :nod:

beerkat
October 17th, 2005, 06:58 PM
If you think those boys in purple aren't going to play their hearts out just as hard as the 'Kats then that's a big mistake.

who said anything like that ?

Off the top of my head I can tell you that Sam is overmatched in two big departments: coaching and quarterback.

coaching, yeah your probably right, quarterback you are wrong

Looks like God decided to take a dump and name it Huntsville.

nice smack, I guess the only way to match the lameness is for me to ask if San Marcos is considered to be part of Texas or one of the northern territories of Mexico because of all the illegals in the area

BobcatSymphony
October 17th, 2005, 07:19 PM
nice smack, I guess the only way to match the lameness is for me to ask if San Marcos is considered to be part of Texas or one of the northern territories of Mexico because of all the illegals in the area

Actually, I'd venture to believe that Nacogdouches has more illegals for hire than San Marcos does. At least in San Marcos you can't just cross a bridge in town, drive to the closest park, and pick a few up to load up apartment furniture. Had an ex move back to Houston and we paid two guys like 30 bucks for 2 hours of work. Don't think I've ever seen that happen in San Marcos. But hey, east Texas is more prone to the cheaper labor aspects of life. ;)

Anyways, this will be a good game. SFA is going to bring a great game with them. I think coaching is going to play a big role regardless of personnel. I see SFA pulling it out by 10+.

blackfordpu
October 17th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Here is Sam's preview of the Battle of the Piney Woods.

http://www.gobearkats.com/football/release.html