PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Commentary on Citadel and Cit/FU game

OL FU
October 17th, 2005, 07:09 AM
http://citadelsports.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101605aab.html

Oct. 16, 2005

Charleston, SC - I usually don't care who wins a football game. But late Saturday afternoon I found myself pulling for The Citadel.

When the Bulldogs took nationally ranked Furman into overtime at Johnson Hagood Stadium, I left the press box and went down on the field to be closer to the action.

OL FU
October 17th, 2005, 08:06 AM
There was one thing left out by the writer and something that some fans have forgotten. (even some old timers like me). This is a rivalry game. Complete with all the lore of rivalries. Graffiti painted on campuses, stolen horses, fights, the works. It does not have the intensity of long ago. But it is still a rivalry (Yes Citdog, where ever you are, you are correct).

Years ago in SC there was the big two, and the the little two (Furman and Citadel) and then everyone else. This is what college football is about. I remember 1983, when SC State came to Paladin stadium in the playoffs and won. I, also, remember thinking that this was their statement that it is not just USC, Clemson, Furman, Citadel and then everyone else. That game may have done more to end the intensity of the rivalry than anything else. And now in this state there is also Wofford and Coastal. Plenty of room for all of us.

But the Citadel reminded my saturday that we are still very much rivals.

Good luck to the dogs and to Coach Higgins, hopefully he will get their program back to the top.

Ivytalk
October 17th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Congrats to the prolific OL FU on his 1000th post! :hurray: :hurray:

OL FU
October 17th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Congrats to the prolific OL FU on his 100th post! :hurray: :hurray:

Offically a member of the "Get a Life Club"
Joining IvyTalk and others in this once in a lifetime feat.