PDA

View Full Version : The Bubble 10/22

BlackSaturday
October 16th, 2005, 11:36 PM
A weekly list of 3 loss teams, and who they face in this upcoming week.
* Indicates intrabubble matchup

A-10
Richmond vs Hofstra
Villanova vs URI
Delaware vs JMU

Big Sky
Montana St Open
Portland St vs NAU
Idaho St at Sac St

Gateway
Illinois St vs UNI
Missouri St at YSU

Great West
South Dakota St vs Miss-Rolla
North Colo at Southern Utah
UC-Davis at NDSU

MEAC
Delaware St vs Morgan St
Howard vs NC A&T

OVC
No teams with 3 losses, but EKU and Jax St still in conference hunt
EKU vs SEMO
Jax St at Tenn St

SoCon
Georgia Southern vs Cid
Western Carolina at UTC (Note WCU cannot achieve 7 DI wins)

Southland
Nicholls St Open (Note NSU cannot achieve 7 DI wins)

chattanoogamocs
October 16th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Isn't GSU playing SDSU on the 29th (and the Citadel this weekend?) ...I could have read the schedule wrong.

TheValleyRaider
October 16th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Interesting list to look at, but if you're trying to look for teams on the Playoff bubble, none of the Great West teams you've got listed there are eligible this year. The only teams from that conference that can get in are Cal Poly (I'd say they have a decent shot) and Southern Utah.

BlackSaturday
October 16th, 2005, 11:57 PM
A weekly list of 3 loss teams, and who they face in this upcoming week.
* Indicates intrabubble matchup
Bold indicates a non D-I victory

A-10
Richmond vs Hofstra
Villanova vs URI
Delaware vs JMU

Big Sky
Montana St Open
Portland St vs NAU
Idaho St at Sac St

Gateway
Illinois St vs UNI
Missouri St at YSU (Missing a game due to hurricane)

MEAC
Delaware St vs Morgan St
Howard vs NC A&T

OVC
No teams with 3 losses, but EKU and Jax St still in conference hunt
EKU vs SEMO
Jax St at Tenn St

SoCon
Georgia Southern vs Cid
Western Carolina at UTC (Note WCU cannot achieve 7 DI wins)

Southland
Nicholls St Open (Note NSU cannot achieve 7 DI wins)

Updated with new notes thanks to Ralph and my Colgate friend.

Chi Panther
October 17th, 2005, 12:06 AM
I can't believe how BIG the UNI at Ill St game is for both teams......

Never would have thought this at the begining of the season.....

crunifan
October 17th, 2005, 12:58 AM
I can't believe how BIG the UNI at Ill St game is for both teams......

Never would have thought this at the begining of the season.....

Yeah, very true. And to be completely honest, without Sanders, I think Illinois State has this game in the bag... :(

dbackjon
October 17th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Who is UNA? :confused:

Black and Gold Express
October 17th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Do you mean seven D-I win bubble? Four losses is no longer the standard. Caveat is the teams who had cancelled games due to natural disasters. They will be considered on a team by team basis.

This is what, the 10th year in a row that they say 4 losses won't keep you out automatically? Just because they reword it this year, there's a lot of history that has to be overcome before people should start taking the committee at their word blindly.

The teams with cancelled games will get special treatment, that's a different thing altogether. But any team with 11 games and 4 losses ain't gonna get an at-large bid this year for sure. Bank that one. You can already tell there are too many other good options, especially with Coastal and Cal Poly looking more and more like at-large locks each week they win.

Cocky
October 17th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Who is UNA? :confused:

University of North Alabama. They play D-II.

dbackjon
October 17th, 2005, 12:30 PM
University of North Alabama. They play D-II.

Interesting, since Portland St. plays NAU next week. :D

JALMOND
October 17th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Portland State currently has three losses, yes. Only one I-AA loss, though. We still have to go to Missoula and play, so we could eventually end up with two I-AA losses (four overall). I think, given our strenght of schedule, both in conference and out of conference, we should be given some consideration, especially if we finish second in the Big Sky.

Take a look at where we are now...

Oregon State (L)---currently sitting tied for fourth in the Pac-10 (which has the current #I I-A team in it, USC), and beat ranked Cal in Berkeley this last weekend.

Davis (W)---on the road and beat Pac-10 Stanford the next week after losing to us.

Sac St (W)---expected but Sac St has been playing the Big Sky tough, especially at home. This we won in Portland.

N Colorado (W)---Maybe the easiest game on our schedule.

E Washington (L)---our only I-AA loss. This weekend EWU beat Montana in Missoula, not an easy task. We played them in Cheney and had the lead going into the fourth quarter.

Boise State (L)---not a bad loss. Boise had a 26 game home winning streak and was scoring 60+ against I-A competition in Boise. We led the game until halfway through the fourth quarter. Still, we held Boise to their lowest point total during their streak.

Montana State (W)---tough, good win at home. Lulay has proven that the Cats are never out of it, but we pulled out a victory against one of the powers in the Big Sky.

Other things to consider, we will have played the third toughest schedule in I-AA this year. We also have played in one of the toughest conferences (if not the toughest conference) in the country. Like I said, we still have to play Montana in Missoula, but put our resume up against Coastal, SC State or Hampton or any one else in I-AA and we would have to get some consideration, even with four losses.

Black and Gold Express
October 17th, 2005, 01:19 PM
JALMOND, at the beginning of the year ASU people were making the same kind of arguments that with our schedule, even 4 losses should get us consideration. As the season has played itself out, I think it is becoming very clear that there will not be spots open for 4-loss teams without a lot of upsets happening.

Right now according to Sagarin, ASU's schedule is marginally tougher. That's facts, not conjecture. And I think to a person ASU fans feel that if we garnered a 4th loss, we're done for an at-large bid. I see no reason to think PSU is any better off.