PDA

View Full Version : SHSU's Whitten has an "improving team"

blackfordpu
October 16th, 2005, 08:33 PM
In an article from the Huntsville Item Whitten stresses that the team is a work in progress "taking steps forward", TWICE!

FREAKING BABY STEPS! :bang: :bang:

With 13 returning starters from last seasons semi-finalist team and some big I-A transfers, the Kats are no doubt a big disappointment in the SLC this season. The problem is that the coach does not see it this way. He seems to find some good in every bad situation. The bigger problem is that the good he is finding is not helping the team win.

Trouble in Thibodaux for SHSU: Colonels run all over Kats 37-17 By Cody Stark/Assistant Sports Editor

THIBODAUX, La. - Sam Houston State spent most of Saturday afternoon chasing running backs around Guidry Stadium.

Nicholls State exploded for 471 yards on the ground en route to a 37-17 manhandling of the Bearkats in the Colonels' first home game in more than a month. The loss likely ended any hopes the Bearkats (1-4 overall, 0-2 in Southland Conference play) had of making a return trip to the postseason.

”I feel like we made some steps forward today,“ SHSU head coach Todd Whitten said. ”I think defensively we are still pretty good, but offensively we are still a work in progress. I thought our defense played hard, but we didn't have an answer for the option. Nicholls is a well-coached team, and they do a good job of executing the offense.“

http://www.itemonline.com/articles/2005/10/16/sports/todays_sports/sports01.txt

Dallas Demon
October 16th, 2005, 09:34 PM
Sounds like a lot of folks don't like Witten. What has happened since he was hired and now to make the fans not like him? He appeared to be a great hire at the time.

TxSt02
October 16th, 2005, 09:36 PM
If he was a good hire, SFA (he was a qb there) would have hired him last year when they had a chance!!!

blackfordpu
October 16th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Sounds like a lot of folks don't like Witten. What has happened since he was hired and now to make the fans not like him? He appeared to be a great hire at the time.

It would take too long to tell but visit www.katfans.com and you will get the gist of it.

beerkat
October 16th, 2005, 11:38 PM
the scuttlebutt is that while Whitten was a finalist for the SFA job former SHSU coach Ron Randleman let him know that he was retiring, and subsequently Whitten withdrew his name from consideration for the SFA job.

Why the fans have turned on Whitten this year, there are many reasons for that. Alot of it is his defeatist attitude in the media, but for me it is the total ineptitude of the coaching staff with basic football strategy. For example, in the Northwestern State game the Demons blitzed and stacked up against the run. That should be of no surprise to anybody because that is the Demons specialty, putting pressure on the offense. What do we do? Run the same running play over and over, and call slow developing pass plays with minimal protection. Resut: our QB was running for his life all day we had like 25 carries for 34 yards rushing. We made no adjustments, we didn't keep in RB's and TE's for protection, we didn't run quick hitting passing plays, we just kept doing the same thing over and over which played right into the hands of the Demons, and we scored 6 damn points.

I think the SHSU fanbase was willing to cut Whitten and co. some slack if our problems were because of the typical first year type of things (team chemistry, personnel that don't fit the system, first year players, etc.). Those aren't our problems though, its just downright stupidity every week that is sinking this ship.

blackfordpu
October 17th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself beerkat.

Another showing of horrible coaching in that game was at the end of the first half. We had the ball at our own 5 I believe and Whitten tried to kneel it to run out the clock to go into the half with a 3-0 lead. Not a bad idea BUT the Demons had all three timeouts left. Make a long story short our punter had to punt from deep (as deep as it gets) in our own endzone. We barely got out of that situation but it showed the the coaches are no where near ready for I-AA ball.

beerkat
October 17th, 2005, 09:31 AM
I don't know if they are ready to coach a 6-man high school team

kats89
October 17th, 2005, 10:57 AM
To, it has been mostly the comments he has been making to the media.

As far as Whitten and SFA, he DID withdraw his name from the SFA search because of his relationship with RR. RR was going to retire 3 or 4 years prior when Whitten was OC at SHSU, but worked a little longer. Regardless who the coach is, you just don't make comments in the paper that he has been making. Especially your first year as coach.

Dallas Demon
October 17th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself beerkat.

Another showing of horrible coaching in that game was at the end of the first half. We had the ball at our own 5 I believe and Whitten tried to kneel it to run out the clock to go into the half with a 3-0 lead. Not a bad idea BUT the Demons had all three timeouts left. Make a long story short our punter had to punt from deep (as deep as it gets) in our own endzone. We barely got out of that situation but it showed the the coaches are no where near ready for I-AA ball.

Actually the refs/clock operator gave the Bearkats a huge break on that last play. I couldn't figure out how a 30-yard low punt, clean fair-catch, used 10 seconds. Actually I watched the clock tick several seconds off and the refs didn't do anything to stop it.

I agree that the SHSU coaching staff made several terrible play calls. The two fourth-down running plays (of which both lost yardage) were brain-dead decisions.

blackfordpu
October 17th, 2005, 09:28 PM
The Item is already throwing in the towl on this season as well. This really stinks. :( :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Time to reflect on SHSU's football season By Cody Stark/Assistant Sports Editor

The only good thing about this weekend's trip to Thibodaux, La., was all the time left to reflect during the drive home on how Sam Houston State's football season has transpired.

After coming within a game of playing for a national championship, expectations were high heading into this season. And rightfully so. There was a lot to work with coming back for another go round.

Sure the Bearkats lost a record-setting quarterback, one of the most talented group of receivers in the Southland Conference and defensive playmakers. And yes, a new coach and his staff were brought in to take over after the retirement of Ron Randleman.

But the cupboard wasn't bare.

http://www.itemonline.com/articles/2005/10/17/sports/todays_sports/sports01.txt