PDA

View Full Version : SoCon rankings 10/16

GSU Eagle
October 16th, 2005, 08:02 PM
This is becoming harder to do as the weeks go by.
These 3 are pretty much set: 1. Appalachian St. 2. Furman 8. Elon. The places of the other 5 are up for some debate, but here is how I see it at this point:

1. Appalachian St. Yes I know they lost to Furman but to me they are the best team in the conference right now.
2. Furman. Furman continues to win every close game somehow.
3. Wofford. They are beating the teams they should right now and have a win over GSU. I really don't know how good they are yet but future games vs. ASU and Furman should tell.
4. Georgia Southern. Don't get me started here. Suffice it to say we have not played up to GSU standards this year.
5. Chattanooga. The only reason I put them behind GSU right now is the 48-10 win we have over them several weeks ago.
6. Citadel. Citadel is obviously getting better.
7. WCU. From one of the top 2 in my conference rankings 3-4 weeks ago down to #7 this week.
8. Elon. Until Elon beats someone in the conference they have to be ranked #8.

The playoff possibilities with 5 weeks to go are mindboggling right now. I could see the SoCon getting anywhere from 1 to 3 teams in right now. The conference overall is better this year although I don't know if the top of the league is as strong as it usually is.

yosefcity
October 16th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Heres what i got.

Playoff Teams
#1 App State- Yes I know we lost to Furman however, I think they lose at GSU and we will be SoCon champs.
#2 Furman- Even though they will lose to GSU IMO, there still better than GSU. Sewak will be fighting for his job.
#3 GSU- They will win out and Sewak will save his job and GSU will be in at 8-3.

Non Playoff Teams
4. Wofford- Beat GSU however Furple and App will make them plead for mercy.
5. Chattanooga- A very improved team that is on the rise.
6. WCU- you guys are slipping, you could climb back up but it will take beating App to do it.
7. El Cid- Its tough to play in Chucktown but get them outta there and you can kill em.
#8 Elon- The mystical birds need alot of help and Nkang cant do everything.

fuEMO
October 16th, 2005, 09:30 PM
Until Furman gets beat we are tied for first and we control our own destiny.

I think APP will have their hands full at Woffy and Western. Throw in LSU and I still see a hard road for APPY.

GSU will face an aggressive, scrappy team in Citadel. But I see their trip to South Dakota as a problem. Furman will be home resting and gearing up for some option.

Alot of APP fans were posting before the game how much better an offense GSU has than Furman. I wonder if they still feel that way.

The GSU/FU game will come down to turnovers, and how the GSU dbs will matchup with Furman's receivers and tailbacks catching the ball. And I expect alot Felton up the gut of GSU. Our other scary game might be UTC.

Black and Gold Express
October 16th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Until Furman gets beat we are tied for first and we control our own destiny.

I think APP will have their hands full at Woffy and Western. Throw in LSU and I still see a hard road for APPY.

GSU will face an aggressive, scrappy team in Citadel. But I see their trip to South Dakota as a problem. Furman will be home resting and gearing up for some option.

Alot of APP fans were posting before the game how much better an offense GSU has than Furman. I wonder if they still feel that way.

The GSU/FU game will come down to turnovers, and how the GSU dbs will matchup with Furman's receivers and tailbacks catching the ball. And I expect alot Felton up the gut of GSU. Our other scary game might be UTC.

1. Western comes to The Rock. With a 2004 loss to avenge, and barring a complete upset at Homecoming to UTC a 14-game home win streak to extend, I find it very unlikely they will leave Boone with the Jug in hand.

2. Our Trap Game comes this week at Wofford. There is no doubt of that. We clearly have the talent to win this one, and win it big. Doing so will be the proof of if this team really needs to be taken for real as a National Title contender or not. A team with legitimate aspirations for the crown will win these kind of games convincingly.

3. Assuming a win at Wofford, the next most important thing is to leave Baton Rouge, LA with all major players intact. I know many other App fans disagree with me on this, but I'll take a 100-0 loss in exchange for having no injuries after that game.

4. After that, if we hold serve at home, we'll win out our I-AA schedule. Elon is the other remaining road game. Elon's fans hate ASU and their fans, and it is very well deserved on our part. There are countless cases where you can find venom being dealt on both sides. But with that, this Elon team is the worst in the conference still, and it would be the Upset of the Year if they beat ASU.

It's hardly a lock, but if the Apps can leave Spartanburg 5-2 after this weekend, I think you can start looking at ASU a lot more sharply in the playoff picture.

youwouldno
October 16th, 2005, 10:01 PM
If GSU's defense couldn't stop App, how on earth do App fans think GSU's defense will stop Furman with our run game?

I mean, Richardson ran all over GSU. No offense, but Furman is a better running team than App is... and a LOT deeper at TB, not to mention FB Jerome Felton.

GSU might run all over us as well. But to say GSU is a huge favorite is, well, sheer stupidity... though I guess I already identified that claim with App fans, thus I repeated myself.

Saint3333
October 16th, 2005, 10:14 PM
GSU-Furman outcome is a lock, but I don't think a team has ever entered Statesboro as the favorite, at least not since 1997.

You obviously underestimate the home field advantage in the SoCon.

As for the LSU game, I'd pull Richie if/once LSU gets up 21 points.

First things first we have to go on the road and beat a well-coached Wofford team. We stopped the option last week, the defense has another tough task ahead of them. I'd look for a great game for Richie. Two years ago he hobbled out mid-way through the third quarter and almost led a 21 point comeback in Sparkletown. I still believe if he would have started that game ASU would have won the game and made the playoffs. Richie will remember that as well.

Black and Gold Express
October 16th, 2005, 10:23 PM
If GSU's defense couldn't stop App, how on earth do App fans think GSU's defense will stop Furman with our run game?

I mean, Richardson ran all over GSU. No offense, but Furman is a better running team than App is... and a LOT deeper at TB, not to mention FB Jerome Felton.

GSU might run all over us as well. But to say GSU is a huge favorite is, well, sheer stupidity... though I guess I already identified that claim with App fans, thus I repeated myself.

Having seen a tape of the ASU/Furman game now, and seeing ASU/GSU in person, I say this with all confidence:

IF... Jayson Foster is healthy, he is far and away the best rushing threat in the conference. No question. He's small, but solid. Low center of gravity equals good balance, and he's got some really really good moves to get out of tackles and/or get an extra yard or two after being grabbed.

He had an injured ankle in Boone, and still every play he kept the ball you were holding your breath that he didn't get loose. It's hard to explain, but he has that certain extra gear, that he can move faster than others but still be in control of himself. Even hurt I saw that in him.

You put him as a tailback in a more traditional offense, with time to see a hole and follow blockers, and he would destroy teams. He truly impressed me.

chattanoogamocs
October 16th, 2005, 10:31 PM
Dang...no one ranks the Mocs better than fifth (old biases die hard)??? Aaahh...can't say I expect anything different. But, it doesn't matter much to me...I like it when the Mocs are not respected, I like it when they are overlooked. ...as long as they just keep winning (whether by 1 point...or 41, makes no difference to me).

GSU Eagle
3. Wofford. They are beating the teams they should right now

10/1/2005 Chattanooga 25, Wofford 13...Wofford never led.

Chattanooga has 3 of their last 4 at home. Wofford has 3 of their last 4 on the road.

Standings (+ remaining SoCon games)
1. FUR 6-1 / 2-1 (ELON / @GSU / WOF / @UC)
1. UofC 5-2 / 2-1 (WCU / @ASU / CIT / FUR)
1. WOF 4-2 / 2-1 (ASU / @CIT / @WCU / @FUR)
1. ASU 4-2 / 2-1 (@WOF / UC / WCU / @ELON)
5. GSU 4-3 / 3-2 (CIT / FUR)
6. CIT 2-4/ 1-2 (@GSU / WOF / @UC / ELON)
6. WCU 2-3 / 1-2 (@UC / ELON / WOF / @ASU)
8. ELON 3-4 / 0-3 (@FUR / @WCU / @CIT / ASU)

A little statistical comparison:
2004: TTU, JSU, WOF, LU, ELON -- 0-5 record and the Mocs gave up 251 points
2005: TTU, JSU, WOF, LU, ELON -- 5-0 record and the Mocs have given up 82

Start paying attention to the little train riding bird from Chattytown...Mocs are young (only 5 seniors starters total), and improving, and still have a lot of growth potential (still learning a new defensive scheme from a new coaching staff)...every close win and fourth quarter comeback gives them more confidence.

As for the race....going by the remaining schedule...I would say Furman/App are 1/2 (ASU has the better chance with their reamaining sked)... and then Wofford, Chattanooga and GSU right behind...and I think overall, GSU 3, Chattanooga 4, Wofford 5.

Lots of football still left! Look foward to seeing how it pans out for everyone. Good luck to all! :)

youwouldno
October 16th, 2005, 10:35 PM
But how many times a game can he really rush, if he's taking hits from Willie Free and Andrew Jones?

Foster probably will have a solid game against us, as will Austin. But they have a minimal passing game and will need to score points to answer the Paladins. That type of game doesn't favor GSU. Our defense is better against the run, which doesn't favor GSU.

In 2003 we lost 29-24, which is not too bad. We've won there in the past. Home field advantage only goes so far... it doesn't stop Jerome Felton on 3rd and goal.

BlackSaturday
October 16th, 2005, 11:06 PM
1) Furman--Until FU loses, they are still tops
2) ASU--A last minute loss to FU is nothing to balk at, truely dominated GSU
3) GSU--I don't even know what to make of the lack of playcalling by GSU
4) UTC--Still not sure about them, but games with FU and App will tell more
5) Cit--What a brutal schedule, look for more wins down the stretch
6) Wof--They have a winning conference record, but they seem inconsistent
7) WCU--I really expected more after the FU and Cincy showings
8) Elon--They have a beautiful stadium, their program should expect better

AppGuy04
October 16th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Anyone else notice that App ran the inside trap with Richardson about 30 times. I think he had about 150 of his over 200 yards just on that same play over and over. At one point, I counted that they ran that same play 8 times in a row on one drive.

ASU Kep
October 17th, 2005, 01:14 AM
IMHO, the SOCON race will be decided by two games:

App State @ Wofford, this weekend
Furman @ GSU, Nov. 5th

If ASU can avoid the upset bug this weekend, I think we'll have the best chance. Western won't beat us at home. It's been a long time since WCU have beaten us at home and attendence should be bolstered by the Athletic announcement that'll be given before the game (which surprisingly I havn't heard to many ASU fans talk about...the KBS addition, new facilities, and the long-shot chance of an announcement concerning the future of our program (I-A?)) I have no idea what'll be covered...but I'll be looking for some dates to add to all the pretty pics I've seen over the past two years. Oh and btw, we want our damn jug back.

Anyway, Furman/GSU is the likely to be the big one. GSU is hurting this year (by GSU standards, anyhow) and just might still be fighting for their playoff lives in addition to their eternal passion to beat the "purple pansies." They are both terrific programs, but at this point I'd say GSU will pull one out in Statesboro. It's a damn tough place to play (I made my first trip there last year...enough said).

However this all turns out, it'd be tough to argue that the SOCON isn't one of the most exciting (and toughest) conferences in the nation. I see a decent argument emerging for us sending three again...

SoCon48
October 17th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Having seen a tape of the ASU/Furman game now, and seeing ASU/GSU in person, I say this with all confidence:

IF... Jayson Foster is healthy, he is far and away the best rushing threat in the conference. No question. He's small, but solid. Low center of gravity equals good balance, and he's got some really really good moves to get out of tackles and/or get an extra yard or two after being grabbed.

He had an injured ankle in Boone, and still every play he kept the ball you were holding your breath that he didn't get loose. It's hard to explain, but he has that certain extra gear, that he can move faster than others but still be in control of himself. Even hurt I saw that in him.

You put him as a tailback in a more traditional offense, with time to see a hole and follow blockers, and he would destroy teams. He truly impressed me.

Foster had an infection of a cut received from ankle tape removal. If he could play at all, I don't see how it affected his speed. Not practicing as much during the week likely hurt him more.

SoCon48
October 17th, 2005, 05:57 AM
Anyone else notice that App ran the inside trap with Richardson about 30 times. I think he had about 150 of his over 200 yards just on that same play over and over. At one point, I counted that they ran that same play 8 times in a row on one drive.

A GSU poster kept saying all week that ASU's run defense was like a "sieve."
Actually it was closer to "siege" than a sieve." GSU still got some yards but App was no where near a sieve. GSU came close to being shut out.