October 16th, 2005, 07:01 PM
The Citadel-23
Ga.Southern-21

Elon-7
Furman-31

App State-26
Wofford-17

WCU-17
UTC-31 (WCU is 2-13 in October under Kent Briggs, can't see us changing that this week. I hope I am proved wrong!)

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Saint3333
October 16th, 2005, 07:03 PM
The Citadel-10
Ga.Southern-28 (GSU is now an even more dangerous team with their backs against the wall)

Elon-14
Furman-35

App State-31
Wofford-14

WCU-14
UTC-24

catamount man
October 16th, 2005, 07:05 PM
True about GSU, but The Citadel is just impressing me more and more this season. I knew Kevin Higgins was a good hire. You guys should beat Wofford though. GREAT game yesterday. GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

fuEMO
October 16th, 2005, 07:36 PM
I agree with Catamount Man about Citadel. They are playing solid football. This weekend will tell if they were just really up for Parents Weekend and Furman or are they building some credibility back into the program. I think the front 5 will pose some problems for GSU on defense, but If GSU does get some scores early could become another ugly game.

The SoCon game of the week. APP at Wofford. APP could stub a toe here. I look for a solid defensive effort from the Terriers and if it stays close they could win this game in the 4th.

GSU Eagle
October 16th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Citadel at GSU. Well, normally I would say GSU by 14 but I really don't know how our underachieving team will respond to a good ole fashion beatdown administered yesterday by Appalachian. Which Citadel team will show up-- the one hammered by Appalachian at home or the one that beat WCU and forced Furman into overtime? My confidence in the Eagles is wavering but I will say GSU 28 Citadel 17. I know 1 thing-- this will not be an easy practice week for the Eagles.

Elon vs. Furman. I am still not completely sold on Furman's defense but they simply have too much for Elon. Furman 31 Elon 17.

Appalachian St. vs. Wofford. ASU is a much better team than Wofford. I should know as I have witnessed my Eagles lose to both of them. As long as ASU does not turn in over several times I can't see Wofford playing them within 10 points. Appalachian 28 Wofford 17.

Chattanooga vs. WCU. I really though several weeks ago WCU was poised to move to the top of the SoCon. Not anymore. Chattanooga appears to really have the ship headed in the right direction. I believe Chattanooga wins this one 24 to 17.

yosefcity
October 16th, 2005, 08:20 PM
El Cid- 10
GSU-35
This wil be a takin out the frustrations game.

Elon-14
Furman-45
Furman is 20 times better than the birds.

App State-34
Wofford-14
Our Defense needs to play all 4 quarters and we will win.

WCU-7
UTC-27
More of a defensive game but I really like Tennesee Chattanooga.

Black and Gold Express
October 16th, 2005, 10:11 PM
The Citadel-21
Ga.Southern-24

I am officially lost on wht to think of the Citadel. The team we hammered would not have gotten within 20 of Furman, let alone have a 21-7 lead on them late. Who is the "real" Citadel? GSU has a lot of shaping up to do on their own. Foster was scary enough with his running injured. Healthy he must be a beast. Though I was totally unimpressed with his arm, both in warmups and in the game. He's not the caliber of passer they have had before. And their run defense was amazingly bad against ASU. Again, was that an anomaly?

Still, I have to think that GSU has enough to beat Citadel, even with a totally predictable vanilla offensive game plan.

Elon-7
Furman-49

Furman makes a statement here. If they win this one close, you have to start looking at the Paladins with at least something of a critical eye. Title contending teams win close games against good teams. They beat lower-tier teams big.

App State-35
Wofford-10

This is the first time I'm picking ASU in a blowout win. What I saw in person at KBS last weekend really impressed me. It's not just Richie running, Richardson is just as deadly on the ground. The ASU defense is fast and aggressive when needed, but played nearly perfect assignment football against GSU's option. That bodes well on paper for doing what is needed to beat the Terriers this weekend.

WCU-10
UTC-21

I want to pick Western here. I really do. But their offense has already packed it in for the season it seems, and that defense can only do so much. UTC will score late to pull away on a tired defense. Barring a big wakeup for the Cats, it's going to make their games against Furman and Cincinnati look more like flashes in the pan for the 2005 season.

chattanoogamocs
October 16th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Dang, I was just railing because no one is paying attention to Chattanooga in the other thread....now everyone is over here picking them to win

....stop it! You'll jinx the Mocs for sure (especially you Catamount Man...you sandbagger ;) )

Honestly, I think/hope the Mocs will win this one...I think it will be a tight game and the mocs will make a drive late (our O line seems to get stronger as the game goes on)...the Mocs finally have some confidence that they can win it late (they have done 3 times already...all on the road...and are undefeated on the new turf at home)

as for the rest...
(what I wish... Citadel--Yes, Elon--Yes, Wofford--Yes)

what I think will happen...
GSU--Yes, Furman--Yes, ASU--Yes.

Good luck to all....and safe trip to the Catamount faithful making the trip to Chattanooga, drop by the Mocfans board during the week...maybe some of the Mocfans and Catamount Pride members can have a get together before or after the game.

youwouldno
October 16th, 2005, 10:47 PM
GSU 35 Citadel 14

In Statesboro, this will be a tough upset to pull for El Cid. One thing to watch is Citadel's physicality; Foster is not a power back, and if he gets blasted enough it might slow him down. Of course, there's Austin, which is a problem for Citadel, but they do some nice things on defense with an interesting power-speed mix.

Furman 42 Elon 13

I mean, I'm not trying to hate here, but Elon's main RB last week was a backup at my HS to a now-JMU freshman. They have no offense to speak of and their defense simply will not hold the Paladins in Greenville. I'd hate to be the first team to face a well-executed rendition of our offense... it would be ugly.

App State 28 Wofford 16

I think Wofford plays a tough game here, and at home I'll say they make a few big plays to keep it close. But App is a serious team and it will be hard for Wofford to beat them on either side of the ball.

UTC 21 Western Carolina 10

Clark just isn't going to cut it at QB. WCU might be bottom of the conference in QBs. Whereas, in the case of UTC, there is Antonio Miller. Yes, a lot of picks versus not many TDs thrown... but he's a great runner and also moves the offense downfield well through the air.

BlackSaturday
October 16th, 2005, 11:15 PM
ASU 35
WoCo 10
ASU's defense should do well in their 2nd straight option game

Furman 49
Elon 7
Homecoming in Greenville, good friends, good memories, good tailgaiting, lopsided game

UTC--24
WCU--17
UTC keeps on rolling.

GSU--45
Cid--24
GSU rarely loses back-to-back, and has payback on the mind after Cid's last trip to Statesboro

chattanoogamocs
October 16th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Whereas, in the case of UTC, there is Antonio Miller. Yes, a lot of picks versus not many TDs thrown... but he's a great runner and also moves the offense downfield well through the air.

We were talking about him last night...I realize you gotta pass, and sometimes throw long, to keep the defense honest...but I worry sometimes that Miller is passing "just to pass" or trying to force one long...this is usually when the picks happen. Many of his bad passes come when he could have run for good yards...I think time (he only has 7 starts in his young career so far) will help correct that...and just needs to relax and let the game come to him.

When they stick to the little short pass, 5 to 10 yard pass, and let the WR's create yardage, he is at his best...it's funny really, he has 12 picks and only 2 passing TD's (which sounds terrible)....but he is also the 3rd best overall QB in the overall stats (behind Richie and Ingle)...sounds like the textbook definition of a sophomore starter on a young offensive team (only 3 senior starters).

But the most important thing is that he as already assumed complete control of "his" team...the guys all respect him and listen to him...R.A. has faith in him...and in the Mocs 3 road wins, he has driven the team down the field late for the go-ahead score.

I love this kid! :)

...and I love even more that the Mocs finally have a legit running game (that is the real reason they are winning).

GSUhooligan
October 16th, 2005, 11:34 PM
GSU--45
Cid--24
GSU rarely loses back-to-back, and has payback on the mind after Cid's last trip to Statesboro

I don't know, if our team couldn't get out of bed for this past weekend, I don't think they'll really care this weekend. I've NEVER seen a GSU team just roll over like they did.

Furman, WCU,and App win.

ASU Kep
October 17th, 2005, 01:24 AM
I'd be shocked if GSU doesn't beat the Citadel at home by three scores, especially after your disappointing trip up here Sat. A good team plays well coming off of loses. And you guys are still a good team. It's weird sticking up for ya'll but there's no way your going to lose that game. Besides, ASU wants you to win so you'll be hungry come that ol' Furman game in a few weeks. And you want to make us happy, right? :D

OL FU
October 17th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Citadel @ GSU - GSU 27 -7
Elon @ FU - FU 34-14
ASU @ WC - ASU 24 -17
WCU @ Chatt Chat 17-10

DotCat
October 17th, 2005, 10:20 AM
All I can say is
UTC-24
WCU-Sucks

I hope I'm wrong.

ButlerGSU
October 17th, 2005, 11:12 AM
We are a terrible team. We were last year and we are this year. Georgia Southern is not back just because we beat up on UTC, Elon and WCU. If no one else noticed, those are not very good teams either. We will lose a few more games this year and having a road trip to South Dakota the Saturday before Furman will not help us.

Heads need to roll in Statesboro, starting with our Athletic Director Sam Baker.

OL FU
October 17th, 2005, 11:25 AM
We are a terrible team. We were last year and we are this year. Georgia Southern is not back just because we beat up on UTC, Elon and WCU. If no one else noticed, those are not very good teams either. We will lose a few more games this year and having a road trip to South Dakota the Saturday before Furman will not help us.

Heads need to roll in Statesboro, starting with our Athletic Director Sam Baker.

I am not sure I would agree about last year. One bad game does not mean you were bad team. But it is this year and I hope you are right, at least on November 5. My guess is GSU will be in good form on November 5,

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Hey Butler, if it makes you feel any better, i know i'll be pulling for you guys, and I know about 20,000 more that will be too

GSUhooligan
October 17th, 2005, 12:38 PM
I'd be shocked if GSU doesn't beat the Citadel at home by three scores, especially after your disappointing trip up here Sat. A good team plays well coming off of loses. And you guys are still a good team. It's weird sticking up for ya'll but there's no way your going to lose that game. Besides, ASU wants you to win so you'll be hungry come that ol' Furman game in a few weeks. And you want to make us happy, right? :D

This year's team doesn't care. I guess they just think they look good in pads and tight pants cause they sure as hell don't seem to be out there to play good football. Citadel will come ready to play and might beat us. It's already snowing in South Dakota and cold + long travel = disaster. I have no idea about the Furman game, I want to say that we might get up for this game since it's the 20th anniversary of our NC win against them, but who knows. Even Morehead St. isn't a guaranteed win now.

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 12:49 PM
maybe some new Uni's would do it, those are hideous man, how about some new flavor?

walliver
October 17th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Citadel at GSU - Citadel usually plays GSU a decent game even when the teams are not evenly matched. GSU 28 Citadel 24

Elon at Furman - Elon has a decent defense (the GSU game not withstanding) but no offense. Furman 17 Elon 0

WCU at Chattanooga - Chattanooga has a good team this year (I watched the GSU game on TV and they played the Eagles much closer than the score indicates) I don't understand WCU at all - This could be a close WCU win or Chattanooga pulling away. Chattanooga 27 WCU 24 in OT

App State at Wofford. Wofford's offense continues to struggle despite 38 points against VMI. Unless the first team learns to run the option or Mike Ayers sends in the second team offense early, this could be a blow-out. Wofford has traditionally played App State close at home (even in the early years of SoCon play). Wofford 22 ASU 21. (The score should probably be reversed, but I can't bring myself to do that)

catamount man
October 17th, 2005, 07:12 PM
All I can say is
UTC-24
WCU-Sucks.

At least put up a score. :deadhorse ;) GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

gophoenix
October 17th, 2005, 07:21 PM
GSU wil spank The Citadel. They just lost to App big and are going to want revenge. I think 54-14.

App's going to manhandle Wofford. 41-7.

UTC is going to take Western by two field goals in the 4th quarter.

Furman takes Elon 21-0. Elon has a good D, just absolutely no O.

Elon has the worst coach in the conference, hands down.

===============
http://www.elonfans.com

GSUhooligan
October 18th, 2005, 12:00 PM
GSU wil spank The Citadel. They just lost to App big and are going to want revenge. I think 54-14.

App's going to manhandle Wofford. 41-7.

UTC is going to take Western by two field goals in the 4th quarter.

Furman takes Elon 21-0. Elon has a good D, just absolutely no O.

Elon has the worst coach in the conference, hands down.===============

Well, thats what happens when you're too busy babysitting 'ol Kye, instead of coaching.

SoCon48
October 18th, 2005, 02:03 PM

Elon has the worst coach in the conference, hands down.

===============

And to top it off, he replaced an even worse one.

This Elon team has certainly been in more games this year than any since Elon came into the SoCon. You're right, though, the offense is struggling.
Kyle does throw a bit better, though, than all but a couple of his receivers can catch. Put Ingle Martin, Richie W, etc in his place and they'd still maybe not move the ball too much better passing.
Passing efficiency, Elon is 4th in the confernce. Not bad considering the good QB's in the conference. Better than Elon's W-L standings.
3rd in Red Zone offense.
Team has lowest number of penalties in the conference.

Elon's got to find a way to protect the QB..no matter who they have. The Phoenix have the most sacks against them in the conference.

phoenixsq
October 18th, 2005, 03:54 PM
GSU 35 Citadel 14

In Statesboro, this will be a tough upset to pull for El Cid. One thing to watch is Citadel's physicality; Foster is not a power back, and if he gets blasted enough it might slow him down. Of course, there's Austin, which is a problem for Citadel, but they do some nice things on defense with an interesting power-speed mix.

Furman 42 Elon 13

I mean, I'm not trying to hate here, but Elon's main RB last week was a backup at my HS to a now-JMU freshman. They have no offense to speak of and their defense simply will not hold the Paladins in Greenville. I'd hate to be the first team to face a well-executed rendition of our offense... it would be ugly.

App State 28 Wofford 16

I think Wofford plays a tough game here, and at home I'll say they make a few big plays to keep it close. But App is a serious team and it will be hard for Wofford to beat them on either side of the ball.

UTC 21 Western Carolina 10

Clark just isn't going to cut it at QB. WCU might be bottom of the conference in QBs. Whereas, in the case of UTC, there is Antonio Miller. Yes, a lot of picks versus not many TDs thrown... but he's a great runner and also moves the offense downfield well through the air.

Here is mine!!!

App 35 Wofford 14

App is too much for a lesser power running team than GSU

UTC 24 WCU 21.

I love UTC QB. He creates havoc on the run. He by himself gave UTC the win against ELon last week with his legs. Will the real WCU standup?

Furman 28 Elon 7. This hurts. But we cannot score at all! Oh by the way youwouldno, the kid who started for Elon is not their starting TB. Their starting TB, Hall is from Charlotte and is still 4th in the Conference even though he has been hurt since the GSU game. :eyebrow: Joe Baptiste step in and did a great job for us. But we still need a"O" coordinator really bad along with a QB! We can play some defense but our play calling is horrible. If we had half an offense we could be 5-2 right now. We actually had a 10-0 lead on the board against UTC last in third until we were out of position on the field goal try. By blowing this, we lost the 3 points, it turned into great field position for UTC, and a 10 point swing. Bad, Bad coaching......

GSU 27 El Cid 14. GSU is still GSU. It is hard to win up at App St. so give them some slack guys. They will come back.

Eagles_Cliff
October 18th, 2005, 05:27 PM
I feel the frustration of some of the other GSU posters here, but all I can do is see what's real and hope for the best. Saturday in Boone (I was there) saw an ASU team fired up and hungry and the atmosphere provided by their fans continued to fuel that. GSU had opportunities...three trips to the red zone with no points will kill any team. But I feel good about the ABILITY of this young team to win the next four in a row starting with a good Southern style spanking of El Cid 45-10.

Vermin all over the Phoenix 54-7

Appy has a tougher time with Wofford than they should, but survive a let down and win 27-17.

Chattanooga is having a good year and I'm glad for 'em, but the Catamounts surprise everyone and find an offense to take down the Mocs 38-14.

atlGAmocs
October 19th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Chattanooga is having a good year and I'm glad for 'em, but the Catamounts surprise everyone and find an offense to take down the Mocs 38-14.

Ouch Ealges Cliff that hurts. There is no way that WCU hangs 38 on the Mocs in Chattanooga. WCU is dead last in the conference in rushing. Chattanooga has been terrible against the run. If WCU can't run than I look for the Mocs to take this one 24 - 17.

Furman 35 - Elon 6 Phoenix offense is none existent. Elon fans are turning on the coach and his QB son. This one could get ugly.

GSU 35 - Citadel 24 Which GSU team will show up, the one that played UTC, WCU and Elon or the one that played McNeese, ASU and Wofford. They couldn't possibly lose in Statesboro again.

ASU 27 - Wofford 21. The Terriers could steal one at home, ask GSU. However, I believe that ASU is the strongest team in the SoCon this year.

ButlerGSU
October 19th, 2005, 03:23 PM
ASU 54
Woffie 10

Furman 35
Elon 7
Elon gets a late score or an early score but its a fluke.

UTC--21
WCU--24

GSU--28
Cid--21
Total shock in Statesboro. We've got some house cleaning to do in the off season.

ASU Kep
October 19th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Nice to see you don't refer to us as "crApp st." anymore, Butler. I wonder why? :p Just messin' with ya, best of luck to GSU this weekend. BTW, I'll be back in my native GA the weekend of nov. 5th and few of my buddies from gsu want me to come down and root on the team. could make for a highly interesting situation. is that breaking any unspoken rule? bad karma? this could probably be a topic of it's own.

and btw, here's my expert guesses for this weekend:

ASU - 38
Wofford - 17
(I'm a little more nervous about this one that my score indicates, but if we don't come in sleeping, we'll win. Having (somewhat) shut-down GSU's option-attack this past weekend does make me feel good).

Furman - 48
Elon - 3
(although I'm tempted to make this one a little closer, Furman's just too good. Even if they tried to make it another close one to steal the spotlight, I don't think they could).

UTC - ?!?
WCU - ?!?
(I have no idea whats up with either team. I mean, really, it's anybody's guess).

GSU - 56
CIT - 24
(GSU's pissed, desperate to make the playoffs, and it's in Statesboro. GSU fans, you will not lose this game. Seriously, losing to us in Boone does not mean the sky is falling. Get over it).

There ya go.

chattanoogamocs
October 19th, 2005, 11:30 PM
UTC - ?!?
WCU - ?!?
(I have no idea whats up with either team. I mean, really, it's anybody's guess).

Basically...

Chattanooga (is at home) has won 3 games in a row and Western has lost 3 games in a row.

;)

AppGuy04
October 20th, 2005, 07:44 AM
The "vaunted" preseason Western defense could decide to show up this game, never know, it could happen

SoCon48
October 20th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Ouch Ealges Cliff that hurts. There is no way that WCU hangs 38 on the Mocs in Chattanooga. WCU is dead last in the conference in rushing. Chattanooga has been terrible against the run. If WCU can't run than I look for the Mocs to take this one 24 - 17.

Furman 35 - Elon 6 Phoenix offense is none existent. Elon fans are turning on the coach and his QB son. This one could get ugly.

GSU 35 - Citadel 24 Which GSU team will show up, the one that played UTC, WCU and Elon or the one that played McNeese, ASU and Wofford. They couldn't possibly lose in Statesboro again.

ASU 27 - Wofford 21. The Terriers could steal one at home, ask GSU. However, I believe that ASU is the strongest team in the SoCon this year.

Elon offense is not quite non-existant. Passing basically is about 4th in the SoCon.

Black and Gold Express
October 20th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Elon offense is not quite non-existant. Passing basically is about 4th in the SoCon.

If they can keep the quarterback upright, they'll give people fits.

fuEMO
October 20th, 2005, 09:53 AM
Interesting thought about APP being the strongest team in the SoCon this season. I didn’t get the chance to see the APP/GSU game. I was taking a beating by the sun in what’s left of Johnson Hagood Stadium.

But looking back at the FU/APP game, I think that match up tells us a lot about both teams. APP has been a model of consistency this season. They played a solid game, made some mental mistakes (penalties) and showed some issues with discipline. Had a breakdown on special teams, blocked field goal. APP is a fast well-conditioned team. Richie had a very good game but it wasn’t an in the zone game like last season. Furman played focused, no turnovers, played typical Furman disciplined football, got too cute for a bit in the 4th quarter and abandoned the running game, very dumb, and made some special teams mistakes, missed field goal and extra point.

I felt like APP did not match up with Furman’s physical style of running and their dbs took to many chances and got some bad match ups against the Paladin receivers and running backs. I think APP could run the table to the championship game. But are they the best, the strongest team in the SoCon. I dunno know. They are playing well enough to blow away the rest of the field in the SoCon but I think head-to-head Furman could have the edge.

Still a lot of games left to play, APP has a great team, Furman has the potential to be a great team. It would be an exciting rematch in Chattanooga.

Black and Gold Express
October 20th, 2005, 10:06 AM
But looking back at the FU/APP game, I think that match up tells us a lot about both teams. APP has been a model of consistency this season. They played a solid game, made some mental mistakes (penalties) and showed some issues with discipline. Had a breakdown on special teams, blocked field goal. APP is a fast well-conditioned team. Richie had a very good game but it wasn’t an in the zone game like last season. Furman played focused, no turnovers, played typical Furman disciplined football, got too cute for a bit in the 4th quarter and abandoned the running game, very dumb, and made some special teams mistakes, missed field goal and extra point.

According to many of your own fans, that was the best Furman had played all year in terms of mistakes and discipline. It certainly was not typical of what FU had been doing on the field up to that point. What happened in the CItadel game? I was enjoying ASU's win in person and only heard score updates.

soweagle
October 20th, 2005, 10:15 AM
(GSU's pissed, desperate to make the playoffs, and it's in Statesboro. GSU fans, you will not lose this game. Seriously, losing to us in Boone does not mean the sky is falling. Get over it).

There ya go.

Losing to ASU in Boone is not what has most GSU fans upset. What has them upset is how bad we lost. I didn't expect a win last week but I sure expected a better game plan and a team with some signs of life.

atlGAmocs
October 20th, 2005, 10:21 AM

Let's look at Elon's numbers for SoCon only games, this takes out their stats against DII Savannah State and PC.

PPG 7.7 8th in SoCon
Pass yds per game 96.3 6th in SoCon (ahead of big surprise GSU and Wofford)
Rush yds per game 132.3 6th in SoCon
Total Offense 228.7 8th in SoCon (1/2 of App State total offense)
6th in sacks allowed
Dead last 8th in time of possesion

So if you look at Elon's performance against SoCon competition it is clear that offense is non-existent.

EagleCrusade
October 20th, 2005, 10:25 AM
I personally thought the game was closer than the final score. Other than the first quarter we looked ok. In fact if you want to be a total dweeb you can say after the first qtr the game was tied 7-7.

A hobbled Jayson Foster, a terrible day by the O-line...who blocked? the defense stepped up and played lights out, especially #47 John Mohring. Two interceptions and the fake punt. The D-Line showed how young and inexperienced they are against a good O-line. I think they will learn from this. We had 0 pressure on Richie all day long and he could do whatever he wanted.

I thought that after the first quarter the game wasnt that bad, it was just out of reach against a very formidable opponent who only has 4 home games and has won 16 straight at home. It's just how it goes.

Ga Southern is still not out of the playoff hunt or even the SoCon title hunt. It's just a crazy season. Was I dissapointed in Saturday's perfomance? Yes, we got throttled offensively the whole game and started out slow defensively. We have to regroup as a whole for this weekend. The Citadel always plays to the end. Great school. great fans, great game.

I will now go and cry over the loss of Leo Mazzone.

AppGuy04
October 20th, 2005, 10:30 AM
I personally thought the game was closer than the final score. Other than the first quarter we looked ok. In fact if you want to be a total dweeb you can say after the first qtr the game was tied 7-7.

A hobbled Jayson Foster, a terrible day by the O-line...who blocked? the defense stepped up and played lights out, especially #47 John Mohring. Two interceptions and the fake punt. The D-Line showed how young and inexperienced they are against a good O-line. I think they will learn from this. We had 0 pressure on Richie all day long and he could do whatever he wanted.

I thought that after the first quarter the game wasnt that bad, it was just out of reach against a very formidable opponent who only has 4 home games and has won 16 straight at home. It's just how it goes.

Ga Southern is still not out of the playoff hunt or even the SoCon title hunt. It's just a crazy season. Was I dissapointed in Saturday's perfomance? Yes, we got throttled offensively the whole game and started out slow defensively. We have to regroup as a whole for this weekend. The Citadel always plays to the end. Great school. great fans, great game.

maybe i'm missing something, but wasn't it 10-0 after the 1st quarter and 17-0 at the half

OL FU
October 20th, 2005, 10:32 AM
According to many of your own fans, that was the best Furman had played all year in terms of mistakes and discipline. It certainly was not typical of what FU had been doing on the field up to that point. What happened in the CItadel game? I was enjoying ASU's win in person and only heard score updates.

The ASU games was the best game Furman played form a turnover and error free standpoint. It was probably the best the D has played but the D hasn't been that inspiring. I think one of Furman's problems this year is playing to our opponent's level. Which is good when we play ASU and GSU and not so good when we play the Citadel, WCU.

Citadel game problems, Martin was off, when he was on the most proficient receivers dropped passes. Citadel D was playing well.

fuEMO
October 20th, 2005, 10:49 AM
B&G. I guess that was the point I was trying to get to. APP has been playing pretty much error free ball. The game you turn the ball over “GSU” you win big. Sooner or later Furman was going to get it together.

Furman has no excuses not to play focused every week form here on out, they better or they will slip up and not be able to pull it out in the end (Western).

When Furman and Citadel get together anything can happen. And the upset almost happened. Furman got knocked on their heels by a very smart game plan and some very physical play by the Dogs. Knox will be a very solid qb for Citadel, plays very level-headed.

Evidently Ingle had a virus all week. And he became dehydrated, he just didn’t look right form the beginning. Also Rust dropped a wide open touchdown pass in the endzone sun blindness J. And Furman again gave up on the run and pass all over the place most of the time out of a 5 receiver set.

All this was good, IMO. Gray saved the day. And earned some confidence from the coaches that he can come in and mix things up. I think you will start to see him sprinkled in some offensive series to run the old-school Furman belly option, and pass out of the option more like the offense of the Justin Hill days.

The big test for us of course will be GSU. If I was Bobby, I would beat the crap out of that Eagle Dline with Carter then Felton, Gipson then Felton, then Felton some more. If they stop that, then pass.

BlackSaturday
October 20th, 2005, 11:01 AM

You would be an incorrect dweeb, seeing as App was up 24-0 when GSU scored.

ASU Kep
October 20th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Basically...

Chattanooga (is at home) has won 3 games in a row and Western has lost 3 games in a row.

;)

Yes, but this western team beat Furman, picking Ingle Martin off 5 times if I remember correctly (not sure if all the INTs were his). Although my knowledge of UTC is considerably less that most other SOCON teams, I know last year at least they went to the air almost as much as we did. I'd say Western's defense is right up there with ours in many respects. (Although I definitely couldn't say the same for their offense), I think that Western's D could step up enough for them to pull one out in Nooga. I think UTC will definitely catch a lot more attention around the SOCON should they win this game, especially if they win big. I just didn't want to throw a prediction out there when I don't know ALL that much 'bout the matchup.

ASU Kep
October 20th, 2005, 12:02 PM
You would be an incorrect dweeb, seeing as App was up 24-0 when GSU scored.

The fact that Richie Williams threw an extremely uncharacteristic INT at the GSU one-yard line to end the half AND the fact that we kneeled down at the end rather than punch it in IMO made the 24-7 score look like much more of a game than it actually was. And THATS not even mentioning the horrible no-fumble call that eliminated a certain ASU defensive touchdown. I was there as well and after the opening GSU 3 and out was never even remotely nervous about the outcome.

EagleCrusade
October 20th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Wait, let me clarify:

After the thumping of the first quarter....(which i believe was 17-0 could be wrong, dont really care) i think the score the rest of the way was 7-7.

If it was only 10-0 after the first qtr, asu scored early into the 2nd period. So then we can say after the first qtr we only lost 14-7......

Just trying to remain positive folks, I witnessed the molestation on saturday in person to know we got dominated. But we did play better after the first quarter though.

EagleCrusade
October 20th, 2005, 12:38 PM
The fact that Richie Williams threw an extremely uncharacteristic INT at the GSU one-yard line to end the half AND the fact that we kneeled down at the end rather than punch it in IMO made the 24-7 score look like much more of a game than it actually was. And THATS not even mentioning the horrible no-fumble call that eliminated a certain ASU defensive touchdown. I was there as well and after the opening GSU 3 and out was never even remotely nervous about the outcome.

You mean the fwd pass that was ruled an incomplete pass?

What about the openeing ASU "TD" were the ball was fumbled at the 2, hit at the 1 but was called a TD?

What about the "offsides" call but only after the GS interception in the endzone that ultimately led to another TD?

What about the interception that was ruled a "simultaneous catch" that led to another score by App state, when clearly the Mountaineer did not have posession of the ball?

chattanoogamocs
October 20th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Although my knowledge of UTC is considerably less that most other SOCON teams, I know last year at least they went to the air almost as much as we did.

I respect that...you didn't know enough about the teams, so you didn't want to make pick...

btw, this is not anything like last years team...nearly 60% of their offense is from running the ball now (204ypg run, 152ypg pass) and the QB is an option runner, not a pass happy thrower...with a young offense (only 3 seniors), this is the way the Mocs will look for the forseeable future.

Balanced offense and a better defense is the difference between 5-2 this year, and 1-6 last year...plus, the Catanmounts are the only team that Rodney Allison has never lost to! (man, I am jinxing the Mocs for sure now). :eek:

OL FU
October 20th, 2005, 12:51 PM
I respect that...you didn't know enough about the teams, so you didn't want to make pick...

btw, this is not anything like last years team...nearly 60% of their offense is from running the ball now (204ypg run, 152ypg pass) and the QB is an option runner, not a pass happy thrower...with a young offense (only 3 seniors), this is the way the Mocs will look for the forseeable future.

Balanced offense and a better defense is the difference between 5-2 this year, and 1-6 last year...plus, the Catanmounts are the only team that Rodney Allison has never lost to! (man, I am jinxing the Mocs for sure now). :eek:

:D :D :D I am glad to hear it.

GSU Eagle
October 20th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Applachian kicked our buts-- end of story. There is no need to try to sugar coat it-- Appalachian was a far better them than my Eagles this past Saturday. The score of 24-7 does not really reflect how badly we lost.

ASU Kep
October 20th, 2005, 05:21 PM
chatanooga, thanks for the enlightenment. UTC's offense has always been good and now it looks live you've added a little more balance (like us) to your all-out air attack. i guess im rooting for you guys so come homecoming, we'll be attempting to knock off another team tied in the socon race. it can only help attendance.

and to the GSU fans, we could argue all day long about this. i was at our game down there in statesboro last year and we got our arses kicked. this time ya'll lost. losing in boone is a biannual SOCON right of passage. its not a big deal. ya'll have a good team and ill be rooting like hell for you guys against furman (ill probably even be there, im from ga). i remember saying as i was leaving paladin stadium 2.5 weeks ago "oh man, i wouldnt want to be georgia southern next week." there was no way we were going to lose that game. it was too important. ya'll have four games left, three of which shouldnt be asking too much. if you win out, we could see you again in the playoffs. an 8-3 GSU is a freakin' LOCK. better bring your cold-weather stuff up here for that one, though.