PDA

View Full Version : I'd vote UMass #1

JohnStOnge
October 16th, 2005, 01:58 PM
If I were voting in the poll this year I'd vote UMass #1 at this point. Defense wins championships and the maximum total yards allowed this year by UMass is 291. They've held opponents under 200 yards in four of their 6 games. On average they've only given up 160.1 yards and 6.2 points per game.

The only reason they're not undefeated is they had an incredible 8 turnovers to get to a -6 in the giveaway-takeaway stat during a game in which they outgained their opponent 451 to 195 in total yards. Even with 8 turnovers they lost by only 3 points.

The Minutemen have some unbelievable defensive stats. Anything can happen but I wouldn't bet against this team in any given game.

umassfan
October 16th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Our offense has given up 21 points this season and our defense just 15... that is 2.5 points per game.

ysubigred
October 16th, 2005, 02:04 PM
I was thinking the same thing. UMASS is awesome on "D".

Umass74
October 16th, 2005, 02:16 PM
NO ! NO! We don't want to be #1!

We should get consideration for the top 10, but not #1

Hansel
October 16th, 2005, 02:29 PM

Why you don't want to be Like UNH and SIU who were slaughtered when they were #1

Poly may be number 1 next week going into an angry Wa-Griz stadium, i bet they are hoping they aren't

Umass74
October 16th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Poly is #1; no question. None.

Sam Adams
October 16th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Agree Poly is #1.

We do not want to be #1. Okay? Do not make UMass #1.

The UMass Defense has been super - but we'll have to see if they can keep it up through the UNH game before I would start talking about being a top 5 team.

UMass needs to Take Care of Bidness against a Maine team that will be looking to pull the rivalry upset. I have seen Maine do this before....

JMU2004
October 16th, 2005, 02:35 PM
the UMass D is good....but don't be fooled by thise amazing stats....they have played the last 2 games in conditions that would slow down the Patriots

umassfan
October 16th, 2005, 02:48 PM
the UMass D is good....but don't be fooled by thise amazing stats....they have played the last 2 games in conditions that would slow down the Patriots
We has decent yards in both games...

youwouldno
October 16th, 2005, 02:54 PM
UMass has a lot of big games left, I certainly don't think they're #1 at this point but we'll see.

Cal Poly should be the #1, but they too have some offensive questions that are somewhat disguised by a totally dominant defense.

Hansel
October 16th, 2005, 02:57 PM
Poly goes to Montana next week, @ UC-Davis the next, then host EWU, S. Utah and Idaho St if they make the playoffs they will have earned it

MR. CHICKEN
October 16th, 2005, 02:58 PM
VOTED UMA$$...#UNO......JES' TA WATCH 'EM SLIDE!.........SUNG TA DUH JOHNNY CASH TUNE........FOLSOM PRISON BLUES!......xlolx......BRAWK!.....STILL GOTTA COME THRU NEWARK..PILGRIMS........AN' WE WILL BE PRACTICIN'..FAKE PUNTS....ON-SIDE KICKS......STATUE O' LIBERTY'S.......END-AROUNDS.....KICK RETURN REVERSES....HOOK AN' LADDERS.........TACKLE ELIGIBLES.....QUICK KICKS.......WE WON'T HAVE NUFFIN TA LOSE BY DEN!...........:o......AWK!

LEHIGH61
October 16th, 2005, 04:37 PM
They lost to a Colgate team that lost to Central Connecticut the week before.
Personally I think they got a break with the horrible field conditions at UMass. That field is bad even during good weather.
We'll see how good they are from now on.

umassfan
October 16th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Personally I think they got a break with the horrible field conditions at UMass. That field is bad even during good weather.

You realize Colgate is playing better then Lehigh right now right?

galojay
October 16th, 2005, 04:53 PM
UMASS sounds like a GREAT #1 team... keep my Toppers #2.

saint0917
October 16th, 2005, 05:06 PM

I agree, I'll take the number 1 ranking AFTER Chattanooga. ;)

DaGriz
October 16th, 2005, 07:17 PM
I would be suprised if EWU loses again this year, including playoffs. They have proven they can stop the run and they have one of the top pass defenses in the big sky. They are very balanced on O. They have a running back good enough to get it done and make you respect the run, but their passing game is going to kill teams. Poly might have the best shot at beating them but I doubt if they can even do it. EWU might not be ranked #1 now but I think they will finish there.

Chi Panther
October 16th, 2005, 10:11 PM
Poly goes to Montana next week, @ UC-Davis the next, then host EWU, S. Utah and Idaho St if they make the playoffs they will have earned it

Good stuff Hansel......I'm gonna pay close attention!

colgate13
October 16th, 2005, 10:54 PM

Oh my god I think I'm going to faint...:eek: UMassfan coming to defend Colgate's honor. I must be dreaming.

JMU Duke Dog
October 16th, 2005, 11:02 PM
On his Sunday TV show, Mickey Matthews just said that this season's UMass team is a better team than last year's Montana's national runnerup team. So maybe UMass should be given a thought of being number one or close to it.

ThreadStopper
October 16th, 2005, 11:57 PM
With Montana, Eastern Washington and UC Davis the next three weeks Poly has a tough row to hoe! They make it past those three teams they will have earned the #1 ranking and a seeded playoff slot.

The Mustang defense is good this year, but they are not putting the points on the board or have a high turnover differential like last year. The offense has consistantly score plenty of points this year.

lugo02
October 17th, 2005, 12:08 AM
...but it was to a Colgate team that lost to Central Connecticut

saint0917
October 17th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Oh my god I think I'm going to faint...:eek:

Do you need mouth to mouth. ;)
http://roycantor.com/pics/blogger/inflatable.jpg

colgate13
October 17th, 2005, 07:12 AM
...but it was to a Colgate team that lost to Central Connecticut

:rolleyes:

That game is starting to look like a loooong time ago. We were breaking in a brand new offense that basically gave away the game in turnovers. Our defense choose one bad play to have a lapse on and we lose. VMI could have been the same deal for you.

Forgive me Lehigh fans if this sounds harsh, but what team sounds better: the one that loses to the two worst teams on their schedule or the team that loses to the two best teams on their schedule? The first sounds like a good team that had some inconsistency. The second sounds like a good team that wasn't good enough.

For the record, IMO Lehigh and Colgate could be ranked interchangeably if they started out in each others spot to start the season. Good thing we get to square off in two weeks to prove it on the field. First things first though.

bandl
October 17th, 2005, 07:19 AM

As much as I hate to say it...IMO they are the number 1 team NOW. They're defense is effing incredible. Reminds me of a certain NFL Ravens team that won it all strictly on defense. They are the team in the A-10 to reckon with (who is #2 in the A-10 now??), and are a team to reckon with nation wide.

Maroon&White
October 17th, 2005, 08:33 AM
We were breaking in a brand new offense that basically gave away the game in turnovers.

Sounds familiar. ;)

DB_Atlantic10
October 17th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Voting UMass #1 at this time would be a great idea.......because looking at the rest of their schedule they have a great shot to go quite far. With that swamp of a field, having RI, JMU and soon to come NH on their on field which poses problems for high powered offenses against a good defense. So if they win the A-10 outright, they will have homefield advantage, which means more team will have to come into the swamp. Which could lead them straight to Chattanooga. The only potential tough road game is against UDel, which is not the UDel of the past, who ironically also have a challenging/slow field. Hofstra will be the only fast surface they play on this year.....so dont' be surprised of an upset.

umassfan
October 17th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Voting UMass #1 at this time would be a great idea.......because looking at the rest of their schedule they have a great shot to go quite far. With that swamp of a field, having RI, JMU and soon to come NH on their on field which poses problems for high powered offenses against a good defense. So if they win the A-10 outright, they will have homefield advantage, which means more team will have to come into the swamp. Which could lead them straight to Chattanooga. The only potential tough road game is against UDel, which is not the UDel of the past, who ironically also have a challenging/slow field. Hofstra will be the only fast surface they play on this year.....so dont' be surprised of an upset.

We played URI on dry grass and proved to be much faster then the speedy rams... stop being so bitter about the loss and deal with it already. I think you need to worry more about Del then us and our swamp.

bandl
October 17th, 2005, 03:27 PM
We played URI on dry grass and proved to be much faster then the speedy rams... stop being so bitter about the loss and deal with it already. I think you need to worry more about Del then us and our swamp.
I didn't sense any bitterness in his remarks...in fact, I sensed that he was paying you a compliment umassfan. Are you that p*ssed off at the world that you can't see that?? UMass beat JMU, fair and square, with a tremendous defense on a tough playing field...I have not heard one JMU fan state anything other than that.

TypicalTribe
October 17th, 2005, 03:29 PM
I am definitely a believer in UMass, but I am reserving Top 5 judgement until they win a game outside of Amherst again.

umassfan
October 17th, 2005, 03:36 PM
I am definitely a believer in UMass, but I am reserving Top 5 judgement until they win a game outside of Amherst again.
That will be this week up in Maine!