PDA

View Full Version : New Challenge for Lehigh

ngineer
October 16th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Confirmed that Mark Borda has suffered a fractured lower right leg that will be operated on tomorrow. Sounds similar to the fracture Terrell Owens had last year with the Eagles.
Controls will now be in the hands of sophomore Sedale Threatt, son of the former Philadelphia 76er guard. Threatt went 5 for 5 in finishing off the game tying drive and then converted the 2 pt conversion to send the game into overtime.
Sedale jumped over two other QB's to gain the #2 position based on a stellar spring game where he showed a rifle arm and excellent running ability. He has similar tools to former star QB Brant Hall that lead the Mountain Hawks to PL Championships and NCAA playoff wins in 2000 and 2001. Ironically, Hall suffered a serious leg injury in 2001, and was replaced by a long time senior backup who took the Hawks into the thrilling OT win over Hofstra. Hall returned for the quarterfinal game at Furman, though clearly wasn't 100% which had many people second guessing that decision, though very unlikely the result would have been any different.
Threatt, 6'2" 190, has exceptional skills, and a bubbly attitude that is very upbeat. The only question will be the extent to which he can handle the 'full package' that Lehigh runs in its very complex scheme as a soph. It took Borda until midway into his junior year to be completely 'at ease' in running the whole show. Threatt played at Valley Forge Military Academy and is from Mattapan, MA. The remaining backups are Kevin Marshall, also a soph, a big 6'4 225 lefty from Greensboro, NC and Mike Probst, a 6'2" 217 from Harrisburg, PA. Both have very strong arms, but are the more 'traditional' drop back style.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 16th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Ironically, Hall suffered a serious leg injury in 2001, and was replaced by a long time senior backup who took the Hawks into the thrilling OT win over Hofstra. Hall returned for the quarterfinal game at Furman, though clearly wasn't 100% which had many people second guessing that decision, though very unlikely the result would have been any different.

Just to clear up some facts: Hall got hurt in the Fordham game. Hall returned for either the Bucknell or Lafayette game. He played about 2-1/2 quarters in the Hofstra game before being pulled for the Cianello. In fact, Hall threw one interception that was returned for a TD in the Hofstra game. One can only wonder what would have happened if Hall would have been pulled earlier in the Furman game. However, Brandt probably earned the right to get the starting job back after he returned, despite Cianello's heroics while he was out.

kardplayer
October 16th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Just to clear up some facts: Hall got hurt in the Fordham game. Hall returned for either the Bucknell or Lafayette game. He played about 2-1/2 quarters in the Hofstra game before being pulled for the Cianello. In fact, Hall threw one interception that was returned for a TD in the Hofstra game. One can only wonder what would have happened if Hall would have been pulled earlier in the Furman game. However, Brandt probably earned the right to get the starting job back after he returned, despite Cianello's heroics while he was out.

Furman would have beaten us even if an NFL QB had played... I think they had about 600 yards rushing - or it certainly felt that way

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 16th, 2005, 02:10 PM
This is certaintly going to make the rest of the season an uphill battle. However, next weekend should give Threatt a good chance to get his feet wet. If i were coaching the game i would keep it simple but not too simple. Use Threatt's athleticism with QB draws, options plays etc. but also run some basic pass patterns. The reason i would keep it simple next week is because the less tape Colgate has on Threatt the better, i'd rather Lehigh win 17-7 next week by playing close to the vest then go fun and gun and show Colgate nothings changed scheme wise with the loss of Borda. Remember Colgate in 2002? Lehigh had no clue how to handle Brown in that game. The big key will be limitting mistakes. Threatt should be able to get away with some next week, yesterday he had some shaky handoffs because he didn't seem sure of the play, he can't do that in 2 weeks. In the end i feel terrible for Borda, for his career to end in the 6th game of his sr. season is a shame. He's played his heart out game in and game out. I'll never forget his will in the JMU game after getting nailed on every pass attempt as well as his toughness in the Delaware game this year. With that said Threatt has played in some key games in key situations the last year so he shouldn't be wide-eyed, plus he's a son of a former NBA player. Hopfefully the coaches can instill a game plan in the next 2 weeks to fit Threatts strengths. I would expect an offense similiar to that of Brant Hall. Spread the field and give the QB a chance to make plays with both his feet and his legs. Not to take anything away from Bucknell, Fordham and Georgetown, but for Lehigh it's a 2 game season. Beat Colgate and Lafayette and things will take care of themselves IMHO. The process of elimination will be in full force the next 4-5 weeks.

ngineer
October 16th, 2005, 02:19 PM
Furman would have beaten us even if an NFL QB had played... I think they had about 600 yards rushing - or it certainly felt that way

No question. I didn't mean to imply otherwise, but many questioned using Hall from the beginning since the rustiness showed. However, our defense had no answers for Furman's offense that day.

LEHIGH61
October 16th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Lehigh owes Colgate a surprise - similar to the Brown that was handed Lehigh in 2002. Threatt has all the tools to get the job done. Let's hope it works out. The Bucknell game should be a good one to ease him into the starting role. Then comes a BIG Colgate game where he will have had two weeks of game preparations. I also think that Probst and Marshall may contribute in some situations - they both have great arms.

As a Lehigh fan, I somehow cannot believe the tough breaks Lehigh teams seem to get. It isn't enough that they should be 6-0 and in the top 4 by this week ( if not for BIZARRE circumstances), but now their QB, one of the best in 1AA, goes down. I always thought that this team was of National Championship calibre. Perhaps they still are, and if the somehow end up 9-2 after all of this adversity, it will truly be one of the most satisfying seasons in the school's history. GO LEHIGH! And thank you Mark Borda!

ngineer
October 16th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Lehigh owes Colgate a surprise - similar to the Brown that was handed Lehigh in 2002. Threatt has all the tools to get the job done. Let's hope it works out. The Bucknell game should be a good one to ease him into the starting role. Then comes a BIG Colgate game where he will have had two weeks of game preparations. I also think that Probst and Marshall may contribute in some situations - they both have great arms.

As a Lehigh fan, I somehow cannot believe the tough breaks Lehigh teams seem to get. It isn't enough that they should be 6-0 and in the top 4 by this week ( if not for BIZARRE circumstances), but now their QB, one of the best in 1AA, goes down. I always thought that this team was of National Championship calibre. Perhaps they still are, and if the somehow end up 9-2 after all of this adversity, it will truly be one of the most satisfying seasons in the school's history. GO LEHIGH! And thank you Mark Borda!

No question this is turning into a bizarre season. Two plays from being 6-0 (missed fg at Delware and the 'stolen' touchdown catch by Holy Cross); the weird turnover game we should have lost at VMI, but won; the come-from-behind win over Yale; and with it the loss of Borda. Royce Morgan said at the beginning of the season that he felt this was going to be a 'special year' for Lehigh football. If the guys can continue to come through without their leader and captain, run the table and make the playoffs, then, indeed this will have been 'special.' Not sure Royce had all this in mind, but hopefully the final result will be.
Yes, a big tribute to Mark Borda. A young man who has overcome some adversity and shown great maturity in the past four years. Not just a very good athlete, but a person who has shown commitment to his community. Here's hoping for a full and complete recovery.

blukeys
October 16th, 2005, 10:30 PM
No question this is turning into a bizarre season. Two plays from being 6-0 (missed fg at Delware and the 'stolen' touchdown catch by Holy Cross); the weird turnover game we should have lost at VMI, but won; the come-from-behind win over Yale; and with it the loss of Borda. Royce Morgan said at the beginning of the season that he felt this was going to be a 'special year' for Lehigh football. If the guys can continue to come through without their leader and captain, run the table and make the playoffs, then, indeed this will have been 'special.' Not sure Royce had all this in mind, but hopefully the final result will be.
Yes, a big tribute to Mark Borda. A young man who has overcome some adversity and shown great maturity in the past four years. Not just a very good athlete, but a person who has shown commitment to his community. Here's hoping for a full and complete recovery.

Sorry for Borda I was very impressed by his total mastery of the Lehigh offense and his performance against Delaware. The game for Lehigh was lost on an extra point and not a field goal and it appears that there was a block by someone as the kick was low (some attribute it to Tom Parks and he neither confirms nor denies)

Lehigh will get some sympathy but until you develop the Delaware list of 20+ players, starters, and projected starters who have lost time this year due to injuries then you will get the usual "Injuries are a part of the game" response.

I don't know how you lose a player of Borda's caliber without having a major impact on the team. Yes, Threatt is a great talent but the Patriot is too balanced to just give it up for a talented athlete. This will make the Patriot much more interesting and increase the chances of a HC championship. HC seems charmed as they have a few key impact players who haven't had to deal with the injury bug.

colgate13
October 16th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Lehigh owes Colgate a surprise -

No no, you got it all wrong. WE OWE YOU! You won last year. This year is our turn.

Personally, I think Threatt starting is less of the key to the game. He will have to play good, mistake free football to win, but the real key will be Lehigh's defense. If you can get to Saraceno and cover our wide receivers, I think you win.

But I'm WAY ahead of myself. Holy Cross gets 110% attention this week.

ngineer
October 17th, 2005, 06:49 AM
Sorry for Borda I was very impressed by his total mastery of the Lehigh offense and his performance against Delaware. The game for Lehigh was lost on an extra point and not a field goal and it appears that there was a block by someone as the kick was low (some attribute it to Tom Parks and he neither confirms nor denies)

Lehigh will get some sympathy but until you develop the Delaware list of 20+ players, starters, and projected starters who have lost time this year due to injuries then you will get the usual "Injuries are a part of the game" response.

I don't know how you lose a player of Borda's caliber without having a major impact on the team. Yes, Threatt is a great talent but the Patriot is too balanced to just give it up for a talented athlete. This will make the Patriot much more interesting and increase the chances of a HC championship. HC seems charmed as they have a few key impact players who haven't had to deal with the injury bug.

I was referring to the missed field goal in regulation, that if made wouldn't have required the overtime, where we missed the extra point, that only would have extended the agony...unless, I'm mistaken that the missed kick in regulation was an extra point, which was partially blocked, but continues, as was this week against Yale, to be a continuing problem with the low trajectory on some of Musiek's kicks. Either way,overtime is avoided. :(

hawkineer
October 17th, 2005, 07:33 PM
But I'm WAY ahead of myself. Holy Cross gets 110% attention this week.
GREAT, please give HC 100% of the attention. Colgate has the LU fans rooting for them this week. I feeling a little love for garnet and grey this week. I'm sure it will pass in six or seven days. :D

colgate13
October 17th, 2005, 09:29 PM
GREAT, please give HC 100% of the attention. Colgate has the LU fans rooting for them this week. I feeling a little love for garnet and grey this week. I'm sure it will pass in six or seven days. :D

No need for it to pass in a week. Colgate is Maroon and White.:p

ngineer
October 17th, 2005, 09:32 PM

...and so is Lafayette. Must have a tough time just saying the colors without breaking out in hives! :D

colgate13
October 17th, 2005, 09:47 PM
...and so is Lafayette. Must have a tough time just saying the colors without breaking out in hives! :D

Lafayette? How about UMass too? :eek:

ngineer
October 17th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Sort of strange when you think about it. All the different possible colors and you see the PL banners--3 teams with maroon (Colgate, Lafayette, and Fordham) and Lehigh with brown (which doesn't differ much from maroon), throw in Holy Cross's purple and we're almost a sea of bleah. No real 'snazzy' colors out there, except when Bucknell decides to emphasize their orange over blue. Add Army's black, Navy's navy, Georgetown's blue, it's a rather dull pallette.

colgate13
October 17th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Sort of strange when you think about it. All the different possible colors and you see the PL banners--3 teams with maroon (Colgate, Lafayette, and Fordham) and Lehigh with brown (which doesn't differ much from maroon), throw in Holy Cross's purple and we're almost a sea of bleah. No real 'snazzy' colors out there, except when Bucknell decides to emphasize their orange over blue. Add Army's black, Navy's navy, Georgetown's blue, it's a rather dull pallette.

I didn't realize you were so artistic nginner!:D

ngineer
October 17th, 2005, 10:07 PM
I didn't realize you were so artistic nginner!:D

I'm not . I'm always seeing shades of grey. (or is it gray?) ;)

Ivytalk
October 18th, 2005, 09:00 AM

But then you have that Ivy rainbow spectrum: Harvard crimson (actually closer to maroon), Cornell red, Brown brown, Princeton orange and black, Yale blue, lighter Columbia (Carolina?) blue, Dartmouth green, back to Penn red and blue...Gimme a paintbrush! :p

hawkineer
October 18th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Anyone notice that Colgate, Lehigh and Lafayette sports teams are not exactly committed to their school colors. Guess that's why I was confused. ;)
Lehigh's predominate colors - Brown and Gold
http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/football/
Colgate - Maroon (garnet :rolleyes: ) with Grey pants (at least in the past).

Lafayette/Fordham - Maroon with black shirts or pants on occassion
http://goleopards.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101705aae.html
http://www.fordhamsports.com/asp_new/full_news.asp?TeamID=122&NewsID=805

Bucknell and Georgetown probably have remained most true to their actual school colors.

colgate13
October 18th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Anyone notice that Colgate, Lehigh and Lafayette sports teams are not exactly committed to their school colors. Guess that's why I was confused. ;)

Grey shows up as a third color now and again since a two tone uniform with white as one of the colors can get boring.

We've worn grey, maroon and white pants in the past several years. I personally want to see us get some special grey 3rd jerseys for 'big' games like Notre Dame with their green ones. We have had 3rd grey jerseys in ice hockey and I loved them!

ngineer
October 18th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Lehigh's predominate colors - Brown and Gold
http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/football/
Colgate - Maroon (garnet :rolleyes: ) with Grey pants (at least in the past).

Lafayette/Fordham - Maroon with black shirts or pants on occassion
http://goleopards.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/101705aae.html
http://www.fordhamsports.com/asp_new/full_news.asp?TeamID=122&NewsID=805

Bucknell and Georgetown probably have remained most true to their actual school colors.

Maybe that's because they have some real colors! Actually the use of the 'old gold' with the brown and white has improved the appearance of our uniforms. Back in 'my time' is was just ***** brown and white.