PDA

View Full Version : ASU Stadium Construction Pictures 7-4-08

AppMan
July 5th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Things are starting to take shape. All existing restrooms under the West Stands are being enlarged & remodeled. Small concession stands and the old souvenir stands under the West Stands are being converted into restrooms. Main concession area is being tripled in size. Four floors of steel and club level seating for the Athletic Center is up to the 50 yard line. East Stands upper deck steel beams and risers going up. Building housing restrooms and concessions coming along nicely. Photos of the graded area is ASU's new 1500 seat field turf soccer stadium and practice field.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24813499@N03/sets/72157605980426668/

MplsBison
July 5th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Damn.

That "structure" (or whatever you want to call it) behind the main home side seats is going to be f'ing huge.

Now, looking at the way the seating is design, I have an interesting observation and I wonder if any Appy fans concur:

it seems both on the home and the new visiter side there are two seperate seating incline grades. The upper seats are slanted downward at a much steeper pitch than the bottom seats.

This leads me to conclude that the next major expansion will be to remove the track, remove the lower, flatter seats on both sides and expand downward, continuing down at the steeper pitch of the upper seats on both sides.

ASUMountaineer
July 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Thanks for sharing, those are great. I'll be up there in a couple of weeks, can't wait.

ASU
July 5th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Damn.

That "structure" (or whatever you want to call it) behind the main home side seats is going to be f'ing huge.

Now, looking at the way the seating is design, I have an interesting observation and I wonder if any Appy fans concur:

it seems both on the home and the new visiter side there are two seperate seating incline grades. The upper seats are slanted downward at a much steeper pitch than the bottom seats.

This leads me to conclude that the next major expansion will be to remove the track, remove the lower, flatter seats on both sides and expand downward, continuing down at the steeper pitch of the upper seats on both sides.
There has been some discussion of that previously.....right now only God knows....so you might ask him (or her).

boonegoon
July 5th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Damn.

I've wondered that myself. But There isn't much space on campus for a seperate track facility. I Fyou ever go to Boone, the campus is really crammed in the valley with the town and encroachment is always a hurdle.

Appinator
July 5th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Things are starting to take shape. All existing restrooms under the West Stands are being enlarged & remodeled. Small concession stands and the old souvenir stands under the West Stands are being converted into restrooms. Main concession area is being tripled in size. Four floors of steel and club level seating for the Athletic Center is up to the 50 yard line. East Stands upper deck steel beams and risers going up. Building housing restrooms and concessions coming along nicely. Photos of the graded area is ASU's new 1500 seat field turf soccer stadium and practice field.

Thanks for the pictures. I've read a million times on the website how big the new press-box/athletics facility was going to be, but I really didn't have that good of a picture of how big it would look. Based on what I had previously seen from goasu and other pics from the MMB, I thought there was no way we were going to get the new east side done. From the looks of your pics though, it shouldn't be a problem.

Can't wait for Aug. 16th to get here so I can see it in person!

thmst30
July 5th, 2008, 12:07 PM
WOW, its going to be so damn weird going back to KBS this fall. The amount of changes they are making in one summer is amazing. Its going to look and feel so different. However its going to be incredibly exciting as well. Starting to build a first class facility for our team/fans. Also, I knew the new Stadium Complex was going to be big, but that thing is going to be an absolute monster. Much larger than I initially imagined.

GaSouthern
July 5th, 2008, 12:26 PM
INDOOR PLUMBING!

UAalum72
July 5th, 2008, 12:37 PM

Seating often has a steeper incline the farther from the field it gets. Necessary to get clear vision over the fans closest to the field.

Example the LA Coliseum: SEATING: Rows 1-43 have a 12 inch rise, Rows 44-68 have a 15 inch rise, Rows 69-93 have an 18 inch rise. http://www.lacoliseum.com/

Lowering the field would require even steeper seating in the back rows.

thmst30
July 5th, 2008, 01:12 PM
INDOOR PLUMBING!
No thats a waste of money.
They're just going to line the porta-johns up inside the newly expanded bathrooms.:)

Sir William
July 5th, 2008, 01:15 PM
There has been some discussion of that previously.....right now only God knows....so you might ask him (or her).

Him.

tarmac
July 5th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Old Erk looks excited about the indoor plumbing.

SideLine Shooter
July 5th, 2008, 04:25 PM
INDOOR PLUMBING!

I'm not sure. Might be like Paulson. Behind a tree if you can find one. Or in the parking lot like most. Maybe that is what that smell is.

That brings up and interesting question. Does anybody know which side is the front and back side of a tree?

AppMan
July 5th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Damn.

Not chastising or picking on you, but this whole home and visitor's sides thing is a pet peeve of mine. For years some of us have been working to get rid of the whole home side visitor's side mentality. It just sounds completely high schoolish. We have a visitor's section in the lower level of the East side, but the majority of people sitting in those stands are ASU fans. Now that two sections of the new East deck will be for ASU students the arguement even more valid. Again, I know it is more of a indication of where the oppsing team bench is, but it just is one of those things that strikes me wrong. BTW, It's a work in progress as we a number of alumni and students still refer to the stadium in those terms.

Now to answer your questions. The original plans for expanding the stadium back in the mid 70's had both sides looking the same. However, the former administrations never took the initiative to finish the project. It was a blessing in disguise since the upper level of the West side was so poorly designed. The isles are narrow, distance between rows is zero, and getting int and out of the seating area is struggle. It seems the idea was to cram as many people as possible into that space. With codes calling for number of restrooms as a percentage of the total seating and new concession stands needed there was not ewnough space on the East side to use the old plans. Stadium Drive is about 10 feet behind a retaining that runs behind the new building housing the restrooms and concessions. No room for additional expansion on the East side after this is finished. A raised deck is the only way to get the needed number of seata and other amenities in that small space. The new athletics center is right at 100,000 sq ft. As someone stated previously the idea of removing the track has been kicked around. Our AD has said he wants to take the crown out of the field with the next installation of turf and that would be the opportune time to do that. But, I don't think digging down to extending the seating will happen, but they may dig down to improve the site lines of the lower levels. The next expansion will take place in the endzones starting with the North endzone. I was in Reno, Nevada earlier in the year and took some pictures of their stadium. They have a track and endzone seating which has the track running under the it. I expect something very similar to that (unless the track is relocated) will be the next thing to go up.

GreatAppSt
July 5th, 2008, 09:26 PM

Thanks D. wish I could see it.:(

AppMan
July 5th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Thanks D. wish I could see it.:(

How many do ya think you can make this season?

Appguy
July 6th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I checked out the stadium additions today in the rain. It definitely looks bigger in person and I bet it will look even better full of people!

CSUBUCDAD
July 6th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Are they going to be able to get the stadium in playable condition by the first home game? Looks like a heck of a lot of work left to be done to me.

AppMan
July 6th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Are they going to be able to get the stadium in playable condition by the first home game? Looks like a heck of a lot of work left to be done to me.

The new east deck, west side restrooms & concessions will be finished by the first home game. The east stands restrooms and concession areas probably won't be finished until the second home game on Sept 20th. The athletic center, restrooms and concessions in the south endzone won't be ready until the '09 season.

Yosef84
July 6th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Damn.

IT's anybody's guess at this point. Many App fans would love to see the track removed, field lowered and stands expanded inward. It's just my opinion, but I believe the next expansion will be a continuation of the East stands. The original proposal was for 8800 seat addition. It was cut in half for budgetary reasons, but the stands are specifically designed to be expanded that way.

The advantage of removing the track and lowering the field is that not only could you add seating in front, but it would allow for end zone seating without those seats being so far from the field.

MplsBison
July 6th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Maybe you can do what Boise State is doing: buy the middle school and put the track there, then you can remove the track around the field.

Washington is also removing the track around their field with their new stadium remodel.

There has to be a way to get it done.

appsfan
July 6th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Just back from vacation... thanks for the great pictures. There has been a lot done since I was in Boone two weeks ago.

IndianaAppMan
July 6th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Maybe you can do what Boise State is doing: buy the middle school and put the track there, then you can remove the track around the field.

Washington is also removing the track around their field with their new stadium remodel.

There has to be a way to get it done.

Well, for one thing, in Boone, there is no middle school. Boone is in a rural county of about 43,000 people. To keep down costs, Watauga County instead has six K-8 elementary schools. Middle school-age students are, of course, in a separate section of the schools from the younger children. Anyway, considering that ASU has just spent $50 million on athletic facilities alone, buying up a school in Boone just isn't financially feasible. Besides, land is so, so hard to find in Boone. If one of the only six elementary schools were bought, where would the new one go? After all, Boone is not super-flat Fargo, North Dakota. Land in Boone is very, very expensive and construction is complicated by the steep terrain.

ASU is also not Boise State Univ, the U of Washington, or even NDSU. That is, unlike those other schools, which are flagship schools (funding-wise) of their states' public university systems, App State is the least funded university per student in the NC's sixteen-school system. In other words, money for major projects like removing the track and building a new facility isn't as readily available as it is at those schools. Besides, improving athletic facilities at App State is not the sole priority. They're starting new undergraduate programs and continuously updating academic, administrative, student-support, and residential facilities as well. I just have a hard time imagining additional millions being poured into facilities within the next few years.

With all that said, I can imagine, several years down the road, ASU POSSIBLY putting in a T&F facility at State Farm fields. ASU did acquire property near State Farm Fields a few years ago. (SF fields are the site of ASU's off-campus intramural fields, cross-country course & soccer stadium.)Chancellor Peacock mentioned SF as a potential site for a new football stadium. Check out the article: http://www.theapp.appstate.edu/archives_04-05/04-10-26/news.html. The site is near the new Watauga High School currently under construction. Obviously, the football stadium plan there was scrapped in favor of renovating/expanding KBS, but maybe a new track could EVENTUALLY be there, as well. Who knows?

ericsaid
July 6th, 2008, 01:18 PM
put a track around the soccer field.

Boone4280
July 6th, 2008, 01:31 PM
When will the new press box and luxury boxes on the west side be ready by?

IndianaAppMan
July 6th, 2008, 01:51 PM
When will the new press box and luxury boxes on the west side be ready by?

Fall 2009.

thmst30
July 6th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Well, for one thing, in Boone, there is no middle school. Boone is in a rural county of about 43,000 people. To keep down costs, Watauga County instead has six K-8 elementary schools. Middle school-age students are, of course, in a separate section of the schools from the younger children. Anyway, considering that ASU has just spent $50 million on athletic facilities alone, buying up a school in Boone just isn't financially feasible. Besides, land is so, so hard to find in Boone. If one of the only six elementary schools were bought, where would the new one go? After all, Boone is not super-flat Fargo, North Dakota. Land in Boone is very, very expensive and construction is complicated by the steep terrain.

ASU is also not Boise State Univ, the U of Washington, or even NDSU. That is, unlike those other schools, which are flagship schools (funding-wise) of their states' public university systems, App State is the least funded university per student in the NC's sixteen-school system. In other words, money for major projects like removing the track and building a new facility isn't as readily available as it is at those schools. Besides, improving athletic facilities at App State is not the sole priority. They're starting new undergraduate programs and continuously updating academic, administrative, student-support, and residential facilities as well. I just have a hard time imagining additional millions being poured into facilities within the next few years.

With all that said, I can imagine, several years down the road, ASU POSSIBLY putting in a T&F facility at State Farm fields. ASU did acquire property near State Farm Fields a few years ago. (SF fields are the site of ASU's off-campus intramural fields, cross-country course & soccer stadium.)Chancellor Peacock mentioned SF as a potential site for a new football stadium. Check out the article: http://www.theapp.appstate.edu/archives_04-05/04-10-26/news.html. The site is near the new Watauga High School currently under construction. Obviously, the football stadium plan there was scrapped in favor of renovating/expanding KBS, but maybe a new track could EVENTUALLY be there, as well. Who knows?
Thank God that football stadium plan fell through. KBS current location is great, and the surrounding atmosphere is beautiful. The move would have been a disaster.

MplsBison
July 6th, 2008, 03:16 PM
ASU is also not Boise State Univ, the U of Washington, or even NDSU. That is, unlike those other schools, which are flagship schools (funding-wise) of their states' public university systems

Boise State is most definitely not a flagship university.

They spend 8 million a year on research. That's nothing.

They're basically a glorified JC with 20k commuter enrollment, a big football stadium and a big football budget.

U Idaho is the unquestionable flagship of the state of Idaho in the traditional, academic sense. In football, not so much.

IndianaAppMan
July 6th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Boise State is most definitely not a flagship university.

They spend 8 million a year on research. That's nothing.

They're basically a glorified JC with 20k commuter enrollment, a big football stadium and a big football budget.

U Idaho is the unquestionable flagship of the state of Idaho in the traditional, academic sense. In football, not so much.

So if a university is a commuter school, that means it's a JC? According to wikipediag: "BSU offers 201 degrees in 190 fields of study - from doctoral programs to technical certificates. With 19,540 students, a new Idaho state enrollment record, Boise State University currently has the highest enrollment of any institution of higher learning in the state of Idaho."

Granted, it may not be a flagship school in terms of research, but calling a university with over 200 degree programs a junior college just because of a low-research budget seems an extremely gross exaggeration. App State doesn't exactly have the most massive research budget. It offers only one doctorate. Does that make it a junior college too? JMU is a very similar school to App in regard to research and focus on undergraduate work. Does that make it a juco? What about all these fine private liberal arts colleges? Since they have low research budgets, are they just "glorified junior colleges"?

MplsBison
July 6th, 2008, 05:00 PM
The core functions of a university are research and the education of undergraduates.

Boise is ranked 170 out of 517 universities and colleges without a medical school at 7.85 million research spending in FY 06.

Appy comes in at 284th with 2.16 million spent.

NDSU is 42nd at 103.78 million.

(http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf08300/pdf/tab35.pdf)

Washington is ranked 6th of schools with a medical school at 778.15 million.

(http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf08300/pdf/tab34.pdf)

IndianaAppMan
July 6th, 2008, 06:46 PM
The core functions of a university are research and the education of undergraduates.

Boise is ranked 170 out of 517 universities and colleges without a medical school at 7.85 million research spending in FY 06.

Appy comes in at 284th with 2.16 million spent.

NDSU is 42nd at 103.78 million.

(http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf08300/pdf/tab35.pdf)

Washington is ranked 6th of schools with a medical school at 778.15 million.

(http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/nsf08300/pdf/tab34.pdf)

Mpls, if you read my earlier post, you'd realize that the above information is nothing but further evidence of why App State doesn't have the massive amounts of dough to spend endlessly on its athletic facilities. As I said earlier, ASU gets the least amount of funding per student of the sixteen schools in the UNC system. ASU has never and, without a drastic change of philosophy from our leadership, will never be what one of my professor's called a "Research One" institution. (She got her Bachelor's from Harvard; I don't remember where she got her Ph.D. She chose to teach at App because of the setting and because she enjoyed teaching more than doing 24/7 research. She's still published numerous times a year in professional journals, but teaching is her main job description.) Like JMU and many other schools, App State is a "comprehensive university" that focuses on undergrads firstly, offers Master's programs, and few, if any, doctoral programs. ASU's minimal funding on research simply goes hand-in-hand with its teaching-first mission.

Anyway, the point all along is not to compare rankings of the amount spent on research. I don't know what you're trying to prove by comparing research funding of App to NDSU, Boise, & Washington. One of the first things I said was that NDSU & Washington are flagship schools in terms of funding; App State isn't. As for Boise State, they have a lot more dollars for spending on facilities that they rake in from bowl games, higher-priced tickets, donors, merchandise, etc. It's only natural to expect those schools to be able to afford such massive enhancements.

MplsBison
July 6th, 2008, 07:42 PM
But like I showed, Boise is not a flagship research school. Very far from it.

The only major difference between Boise and Appy is that Boise is in a relatively large market where as Boone is a small rural mountain town.

But as Appy fans love to point out, it's not very far from Charlotte.

I see no reason why Appy can't do what Boise has done and is doing.

SoCon48
July 6th, 2008, 10:08 PM
How many state supporterd universities in Idaho????? Total enrollment in those universities compared to Boyzy's fractional part?
I count 4 compared to our 16. You might want to compare Boyzy State to our NC State our East Carolina.

Appinator
July 7th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Pretty awesome that in three days they went from this to this:

furman94
July 7th, 2008, 07:45 PM
This has probably already been answered, but will it be ready for kickoff?

AppAlum2003
July 7th, 2008, 07:56 PM
This has probably already been answered, but will it be ready for kickoff?

The plan is that the East side stands will be ready for sure. The new bathrooms... we can only hope. The press box is set to be ready for the start of the '09 season.

rudy1648
July 8th, 2008, 06:47 PM
INDOOR PLUMBING!
Nah,,,no need. Just let it go and it all down hill to Ga.

ericsaid
July 8th, 2008, 06:51 PM

Those stands look like they could be ready for fanfest if they keep up the pace.:)

biggie
July 9th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Those stands look like they could be ready for fanfest if they keep up the pace.:)

As long as they are ready for game day, since my tickets are in them.

asu7
July 9th, 2008, 08:54 AM
As long as they are ready for game day, since my tickets are in them.

Same here ... especially Row P :) in 213

WUTNDITWAA
July 9th, 2008, 10:04 AM

Hey, they put a pylon in the endzone. :D

Edit: It's a little more funny if the pictures copy, and the posts aren't on different pages.