PDA

View Full Version : Hampton is gunning for a SEED

Lehigh Football Nation
October 16th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Hampton, should they beat SCSU next week, look really solid for a top seed in the I-AA playoffs.

Why?

Every Big Sky team has a conference loss.

Every SoCon team has a conference loss.

With the exception of UMass, every A-10 team has a conference loss, and they still have UNH and Hofstra on the schedule.

Let's look at this seriously. Let's say UMass, Eastern Washington, Furman and Western Kentucky win their divisions (no guaranteed thing), while Hampton rolls to 11-0. UMass lost to Colgate; Eastern Washington lost to Idaho State; Furman lost to Western Carolina; only WKU has the potential to go 10-1 with only a I-A loss.

Couldn't you make a case that Hampton should be seeded over Furman, EWU or even UMass, with losses against unranked teams? Sure as rain the time is right to start thinking about it.

umassfan
October 16th, 2005, 01:22 AM
Hampton will not get a sead with their weak schedule... end of story.

JALMOND
October 16th, 2005, 04:40 AM
Evaluate Hampton as if they were in one of the heavy conferences (A-10, SoCon, Big Sky). I think you'd see them losing more than once in those conferences.

Evaluating Hampton in the playoffs is like trying to evaluate Gonzaga in March Madness. How would Gonzaga do if they were in one of the major conferences? That is why you'll never see the Zags get a #1 seed in March Madness, no matter how they do.

Sam Adams
October 16th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Hampton will not get and will not deserve a seed. Nice story, but not a top 4 team.

ngineer
October 16th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Agreed. Lehigh was in similar position back in 2000 and 2001 running consecutive undefeated seasons. In 2000, despite going 11-0, Lehigh was sent to Western Illinois. No question the 'strength' of the PL had a lot to do with that. The following year, Lehigh did get a home game with Hofstra, butI don't think they were 'seeded', as they had to travel to Furman the following week. I think strength of opposition has to be taken into account. I'm sure the Committee has some kind of 'weighting' given to that factor.

slostang
October 16th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Do not forget Cal Poly.

mainejeff
October 16th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Hampton will not get a seed if they are 11-0? I totally disagree......especially considering that there may not even be a 1 loss team out there at the end of the season.

lugo02
October 16th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Evaluate Hampton as if they were in one of the heavy conferences (A-10, SoCon, Big Sky). I think you'd see them losing more than once in those conferences.

Evaluating Hampton in the playoffs is like trying to evaluate Gonzaga in March Madness. How would Gonzaga do if they were in one of the major conferences? That is why you'll never see the Zags get a #1 seed in March Madness, no matter how they do.

No you cannot evaluate them as if they were in the A-10 because as I said on the board last year. Were they in the A-10 they would have had similar resources to the rest of the league Scholarhips et. al

Yo have to evaluate them based on what they did on the field and they are winning.
The same argument was made against Colgate in 2003 (remember umass).
They went all the way to the finals... They were blown out by Delaware who happens to be from the A-10 but that does not mean they did not deserve a seed.

JMU2004
October 16th, 2005, 01:35 PM
good for them...they beat NSU....however, NSU has lost to a bad D2 team, so umm, I'll hold my praise

PIRATETIZED1
October 16th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I understand the "lack of respect" for the PIRATES of Hampton & the MEAC Conference!

I mean, what has MEAC done in the past in the PLAYOFFS???? Ans: "nothing!".
I will back the MEAC because they were the ONLY Conference to approve Hampton's Application for acceptance into Div.I-AA from Divsion II. A10 "actually" rejected HU application, recently!!!

The Pirates (& every school) has to play the schedule laid out before them. All they have to do is win each week. If I could (& I cannot) speak for Coach Taylor, Hampton Pirates do not & will not care whether we are seeded or not. Just get us into the Playoffs; Hampton will NOT care if we play every game on the ROAD!!!!! Just get us into the Playoffs. We are members of the MEAC, which has an automotive bid to the Playoffs. Just get us into the Playoffs. So what if we NEVER are ranked 1st in the Nation in Div.I-AA; Just get Us into the Playoffs. So what if we NEVER, ever get respect form anybody at anytime in the future. Just get us into the PLAYOFFS.

So what is my message to everyone.

JUST GET US INTO THE PLAYOFFS.............We'll DO THE REST!!!!!

You may not respect us now.....But after this upcoming Saturdays (Homecoming) game vs. #21 South Carolina State (after this Tues(10/18) the "Bulldogs will be ranked higher than #21.....

You ALL will EVENTUALLY respect the Pirates. :nod: At the end of this regular season....Let the Playoffs BEGIN!!!!!

PIRATETIZED :cool:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - “…Of Service To God and Our Nation…”

ngineer
October 16th, 2005, 02:49 PM
I understand the "lack of respect" for the PIRATES of Hampton & the MEAC Conference!

I mean, what has MEAC done in the past in the PLAYOFFS???? Ans: "nothing!".
I will back the MEAC because they were the ONLY Conference to approve Hampton's Application for acceptance into Div.I-AA from Divsion II. A10 "actually" rejected HU application, recently!!!

The Pirates (& every school) has to play the schedule laid out before them. All they have to do is win each week. If I could (& I cannot) speak for Coach Taylor, Hampton Pirates do not & will not care whether we are seeded or not. Just get us into the Playoffs; Hampton will NOT care if we play every game on the ROAD!!!!! Just get us into the Playoffs. We are members of the MEAC, which has an automotive bid to the Playoffs. Just get us into the Playoffs. So what if we NEVER are ranked 1st in the Nation in Div.I-AA; Just get Us into the Playoffs. So what if we NEVER, ever get respect form anybody at anytime in the future. Just get us into the PLAYOFFS.

So what is my message to everyone.

JUST GET US INTO THE PLAYOFFS.............We'll DO THE REST!!!!!

You may not respect us now.....But after this upcoming Saturdays (Homecoming) game vs. #21 South Carolina State (after this Tues(10/18) the "Bulldogs will be ranked higher than #21.....

You ALL will EVENTUALLY respect the Pirates. :nod: At the end of this regular season....Let the Playoffs BEGIN!!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any team that has gotten this far, this year, undefeated deserves some love. I moved you into the top 10 this week, but even if you run the table, I think the strength of schedule is going to hurt any seeding potential. Same thing occured to us as I set out above. Win a couple, on the road against the 'big boys' will get you all the respect you want. ;)

Thumper250
October 16th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Trust me kids, we've seen the Pirates up close and personal each of the last two years.

And this team is by far the best team we've played this season...much better than Furman, much, much better than Coastal Carolina. They're the most athletic team in the nation. Perhaps not the strongest on offense...but try scoring on their tails. Not happening unless they make a mistake.

They have speed on defense that is comparable to ACC/SEC teams currently.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
October 16th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Congrats to Hampton (and SC State, for that matter) for getting to where they are in the rankings, but I would LOVE to see them try to even slow down an offense from someone like Cal Poly, Montana State, Eastern Washington, New Hampshire, Texas State, App State, Geo South, etc., etc., etc.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 16th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Congrats to Hampton (and SC State, for that matter) for getting to where they are in the rankings, but I would LOVE to see them try to even slow down an offense from someone like Cal Poly, Montana State, Eastern Washington, New Hampshire, Texas State, App State, Geo South, etc., etc., etc.

You probably will get that chance in the I-AA playoffs. Remember, Hampton came awful close to knocking out William & Mary last year in the playoffs.

rokamortis
October 16th, 2005, 03:54 PM
I want SC State to beat Hampton so they get the MEAC auto bid and it makes our win loook better ;) But I think if Hampton's only loss is to SC State the would probably get an at-large or at least have a good shot at one. I would love to see Hampton and SC State both get in this year.

89Hen
October 16th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Hampton will not get a sead with their weak schedule... end of story.
Care to wager on that? If Tennessee State can get the #1 seed from the OVC, I sure like HU's chances to get one of the four.

89Hen
October 16th, 2005, 05:13 PM
I would LOVE to see them try to even slow down an offense from someone like Cal Poly, Montana State, Eastern Washington, New Hampshire, Texas State, App State, Geo South, etc., etc., etc.
Why do they need to slow anyone down? They have 26 games in a row with 20+ points (6 of those being over 50 and 7 in the 40's).

Saint3333
October 16th, 2005, 05:29 PM
The MEAC will get one bid (the winner of Hampton-SC State). This is Hampton's only opportunity for a "quality" win.

pirateRIQ
October 16th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Can't argue with the strength of schedule, it's weak. But, so far the Pirates have taken care of business and convincingly. If we finish undefeated its gonna be hard to arge against a seed. Just catch a Pirate game a you'll see that they are deserving.

Saint3333
October 16th, 2005, 06:19 PM
There's a lot of football out there, but the top 4 seeds will likely be a comibination of Texas St, Cal Poly, the winner of the SoCon, A-10, or Gateway.

I think the Big Sky will beat each other up too much for a top seed.

If Hampton had played one above average SoCon or A-10 team they would have to bring to the playoff table. You should get a home game though if you win this weekend.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
October 16th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Why do they need to slow anyone down? They have 26 games in a row with 20+ points (6 of those being over 50 and 7 in the 40's).
Because if you don't slow down teams like Cal Poly, EWU, and Montana State, they'll lay 35 on you by halftime.

Tod
October 16th, 2005, 06:27 PM
I think the Big Sky will beat each other up too much for a top seed.

:( :( I think you may be right. But I think the Gateway and Southland may be in for the same thing.

Tribe4SF
October 16th, 2005, 06:31 PM
You probably will get that chance in the I-AA playoffs. Remember, Hampton came awful close to knocking out William & Mary last year in the playoffs.

Hampton's performance against W&M last year was the result of Jerome Mathis' efforts. Without him, that game would not have been close. Hampton's defense last year was highly regarded and the Tribe put up 593 yards, including 298 rushing. Outside of Mathis and a few others, their team speed did not compare to the better A-10 teams.

WMTribe90
October 16th, 2005, 06:49 PM
If Hampton wins out they probably deserve a home game IMO. Under no circumstance do they deserve a seed (#1-4) given the strength of the MEAC and their OOC opponents. If they want to be seeded they need to upgrade their OOC with games against SoCon, Southland or A10 opponents.

PIRATETIZED1
October 16th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Okay.....good discussion, so far.....!

RIQ, good to see you over here! Looks like you & I have to educate some doubters over here. That's why the games have to be played on the field.

No doubt HOMECOMING is a concern this Sat. I've watched SC State a couple of times. I was not concerned until I saw the results of SCST vs. Co.Carolina. True dat, it's a concern; BUT our PIRATES are clicking on ALL cylinders.

DEFENSE wins game in the end. I'm not so sure SCST's defense can stop Zo' & Daniels. PIRATES' Offensive line is "pancaking" people left & right. DEEP down, I know the Div.I-AA "World" is worried about a VERY strong PIRATE Team going into the Playoffs. One key fact so far is NO MAJOR injuries. Our new "Strength & Conditioning" coach is paying dividends this season....so far!

No matter what happens in the A10, if Hampton 'wins-out', there's no doubt in my mind they'll receive a bid. It may be #4, but they'll get one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

89Hen
October 16th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Because if you don't slow down teams like Cal Poly, EWU, and Montana State, they'll lay 35 on you by halftime.
Have any of them done that to anyone this year? :confused:

McNeese75
October 16th, 2005, 09:44 PM
:( :( I think you may be right. But I think the Gateway and Southland may be in for the same thing.

This is probably true but if Tx-State beats the Demons this weekend I suspect they will win the SLC outright.

blukeys
October 16th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Hampton's performance against W&M last year was the result of Jerome Mathis' efforts. Without him, that game would not have been close. Hampton's defense last year was highly regarded and the Tribe put up 593 yards, including 298 rushing. Outside of Mathis and a few others, their team speed did not compare to the better A-10 teams.

Agreed. I saw Hampton for one half in person and although the Del State field was overwatered (not as bad as the Tub last weekend or Umass this weekend) the OVERALL team speed of Hampton was not that impressive by A-10 standards. Mathis was another matter as it was obvious that like Brian Westbrook he had an extra gear no one else has.

I do not see Hampton as a top 4 seed. They may sneak into the top 8-10 and then they have a great chance to prove themselves and represent the MEAC. Until the MEAC wins playoff games skeptics like myself will remain.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 16th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Good discussion, but there's something here that I feel is getting missed.

Someone above mentioned the top 4 seeds being: the A-10 champion, the SoCon Champ, Texas St., and Cal Poly. I'll add WKU to the mix. Look at these teams closely.

Cal Poly. 5-1, beat 2 ranked teams, lost to a I-A. They have Montana (on the road), Cal-Davis and Eastern Washington left.

Texas State is 5-1, beaten nobody and lost to a I-A. They have 3 ranked league opponents on their schedule remaining.

Currently, the A-10 frontrunner is UMass. They have Hofstra, UNH and I-A Army on the schedule. They've alreay lost to unranked Colgate. Another possibility is UNH, who lost to W&M.

WKU is 5-1 beating no ranked teams, and losing to a I-A. They have 3 ranked league opponents on their schedule remaining.

Every SoCon team has a loss in-conference, and the situation for the autobid is murky, at best. Same with the Big Sky. Don't even start with the Patriot or OVC, who clearly don't deserve autobids.

The larger point is, is it really clear that there are 4 "lock up your daughters, these are the autobids" out there? With those brutal schedules left? It's possible that every team I mention above could have 3 losses by the end of the year, and would their replacements *really* be that much better? And who will those teams be? McNeese? I'll give you that UMass, Texas St., Cal Poly and WKU, SHOULD THEY WIN OUT, deserve the autobid. But how likely is that to happen? I happen to think every one of these "frontrunner" teams will lose another game.

Then you look at Hampton. Their competition has been lackluster, but... they keep winning more impressively every week. The most points they've given up is 21 points in a game, while averaging more than 35 ppg.

If a few more teams get some losses, why not Hampton?

colgate13
October 16th, 2005, 10:50 PM
My first reaction is, yes, 11-0 Hampton gets a seed. Why not? 12-0 Colgate got a #4 seed in 2003 from the 'weaker' Patriot League.

But then I think about the fact we beat I-A Buffalo that year. Yes, it's Buffalo. But it is still I-A. The rest of our OOC games were all Ivy. If Buffalo was replaced with another Ivy, would we have got the seed? I don't know.

Still, I personally think that 11-0 Hampton deserves a seed. I don't buy the "they didn't beat anyone" arguement. They did. They beat everyone they faced. What more can you ask for from a team? Give them the shot to prove it in the playoffs. Don't handicap them or belittle their season by saying that winning everything isn't good enough. You have to have had played these teams to be good enough. That smells like I-A to me.

lugo02
October 17th, 2005, 12:24 AM
That is wrong. So all a team from an autobid conference has to do is schedule teams that are no good and finish with a great record to get a playoff seed? No, no and no. IMO.
How are they to know which team will be good 2-3 down the road when the schedules are made. Who would have tought Texas-St woudl be good this year? ( and I am not even saying that they good)

lugo02
October 17th, 2005, 12:30 AM
That is wrong. So all a team from an autobid conference has to do is schedule teams that are no good and finish with a great record to get a playoff seed? No, no and no. IMO.
2003 Colgate GPI:
89 Sat 9/6/2003 Colgate at Georgetown Colgate 20-19
I-A Sat 9/13/2003 Colgate at Buffalo Colgate 38-15
52 Sat 9/20/2003 Colgate at Dartmouth Colgate 31-9
64 Sat 9/27/2003 Towson at Colgate Colgate 26-7
93 Sat 10/4/2003 Colgate at Cornell Colgate 27-24
72 Sat 10/11/2003 Colgate at Princeton Colgate 30-3
38 Sat 10/18/2003 Yale at Colgate Colgate 52-40
61 Sat 10/25/2003 Bucknell at Colgate Colgate 50-6
57 Sat 11/1/2003 Colgate at Lafayette Colgate 47-31
20 Sat 11/8/2003 Lehigh at Colgate Colgate 17-10
30 Sat 11/15/2003 Fordham at Colgate Colgate 14-3
96 Sat 11/22/2003 Colgate at Holy Cross Colgate 45-38
Is scheduling teams games that you are likely to win any better/worse that scheduling games that you would definately lose agains I-A opponents. Losing or even winning (see UC-Davis) to a I-A opponent does not say anything about your ability against I-AA opponents

lugo02
October 17th, 2005, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Lehigh Football Nation
... Don't even start with the Patriot... who clearly don't deserve autobids.

You can't be serious!

youwouldno
October 17th, 2005, 12:36 AM
They play nobody. I wouldn't give them a seed.

lugo02
October 17th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Point taken...
But on any given year any team can be judged as good , even if they were bad the previous year and Vice Versa. So it is hard to tell which OOC team would be good.
e.g. PL teams are generally accused of not scheduling enough A-10 teams, 2 PL teams lost to Delaware this year, then it turns out that Delaware may not be all that good this year. How were we to know that they this yer would be a down year for Delaware when the schedule was made a couple years ago?

Tod
October 17th, 2005, 12:50 AM
This is probably true but if Tx-State beats the Demons this weekend I suspect they will win the SLC outright.

Maybe true. Plus I didn't take the games lost to hurricanes into consideration (not that I'd know how to :confused: ). What happens there?

Sam Adams
October 17th, 2005, 12:53 AM
The notion that you should give teams a break because they underutilize athletic scholarships is ludicrous. This is about who is the best football team in the 1AA. This is not a question of which team most efficiently makes a risk versus return analytical decision. Maybe Hampton is the best team. But the point is that there is no way of knowing that based upon their schedule. As far as I am concerned - rank them #2 behind Poly, but I doubt they would be undefeated if they played in a major 1AA conference.

colgate13
October 17th, 2005, 06:54 AM
I'm missing something here ralph. Is your posting of Colgate's 2003 GPI schedule to say that they didn't deserve a seed? Regardless of the point, Colgate proved they deserved a seed.

Also, since when has the PL been thought of as an upper league? As much as I love it, we're always around 7 or 8. The MEAC is right behind us in the GPI.

Didn't Hampton also do a pretty darn good job proving it on the field in the playoffs last year? A seven point loss to a seeded semifinalist?

My beef is we're handicapping a team based on hypotheticals, which are often proved wrong in the real world of the playoffs.

eaglesrthe1
October 17th, 2005, 07:48 AM
I have to agree with Colgate here, Ralph. A few weeks back you were defending a #1 vote given to Harvard, and their schedule was as weak as anyones. Now you are harping on Hamptons weak schedule. I hear noise coming out of both sides of your mouth. Only difference is, Harvard has been exposed and Hampton is still plodding along.

That playoff game last year may have turned out different if Hampton had been the home team, maybe this year they will be.

Catmendue2
October 17th, 2005, 10:21 AM
I have to agree with Colgate here, Ralph. A few weeks back you were defending a #1 vote given to Harvard, and their schedule was as weak as anyones. Now you are harping on Hamptons weak schedule. I hear noise coming out of both sides of your mouth. Only difference is, Harvard has been exposed and Hampton is still plodding along.

That playoff game last year may have turned out different if Hampton had been the home team, maybe this year they will be.

These are the truest words ever printed AGS board. Ralph's opinions about anything on here has as much value as a wooden nickle. The A-10 has fell apart, Big Sky and Southern, Big South is average and he talking about strength of schedules, Please! there is not one good team in 1-AA, not matter who wins the championship. :rolleyes:

Lehigh Football Nation
October 17th, 2005, 10:30 AM
I do understand Ralph's point that when you schedule a pretty bad OOC with Savannah St. (you know they are bad), Gardner-Webb, and Jackson St. (middle-to-lower Big South and SWAC teams) you are asking for problems. Replace Gardner-Webb with Towson, Richmond, W&M, Wofford or UT-Chatanooga and all of a sudden things are different in GPI and voter's eyes.

But you can't fault the conference games they're asked to play, like NC A&T, Norfolk St., Morgan St. They're low-GPI games, but they're conference, and you've got to win them, and they have, resoundingly.

I keep going back to: Are you going to deny an 11-0 Hampton team a seed for, say, a Furman squad with a loss to Western Carolina? An 8-3 App St. team, even with 2 I-A losses and a loss to Furman? If this is 2004, I say, absolutely, Hampton should not be seeded. But this year there are a lot of upper-echelon teams that have hardly been impressive.

OL FU
October 17th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Hampton will be rated number three or four in this weeks TSN poll. Assuming they win out, I don't see how you don't seed them.

youwouldno
October 17th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Harvard doesn't participate in the playoffs.

Hampton does, and there is no way on Earth they deserve a seed. Almost every game on App St.s schedule is harder than any on Hamptons! A good teams "breather" is Hampton's huge challenge. How can you seed them?

Savannah State? Are you SERIOUS? A team in the MEAC that wants in the playoffs????

putter
October 17th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Good arguments on both sides. I watched Hampton last week and they looked good but how good was their competition? I have said before that they can't control their conference games and the quality of those teams but schedule a better OOC opponent. You are correct that you can schedule Delaware and they have a down year but at least you scheduled them. The Big Sky, A-10, etc. are NOT down this year. They are more equal, especially the Big Sky, than ever before! I would not penalize Hampton because of their weaker conference but they sound like Boise State last year going undefeated and not getting into a BCS bowl. Their overall level of competition is not as strong as the SEC etc. Same argument, however, Hampton will have better results as they should get into the playoffs - at a minimum - and if teams continue to beat on each other, could get a seed. Time will tell.

NYSigma
October 17th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks Pirateized1!!!

Some crazy guy said the MEAC should not even get an automatic bid. Crazy we only get one team in the playoffs (usually) and even if we go undefeated we still should not get a shot??? Crazy!!! OK since the A-10 is so tough why don't you give up your automatic berth and get in based on your leagues awesome strength of schedule??

PIRATETIZED1
October 17th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Ralph & everyone with no respect for the Hampton PIRATES... Please read my last post under the title....

sooo...what's up with the rankings?

I trust you'll find it interesting?? I got a little angry! I'm calmer now!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 17th, 2005, 12:34 PM
I am sensing with the up and down nature of this year that there will be some depressed fans out there when the playoff picture is announced. It might very well be us JMU fans. Does being the defending national champion carry any weight if we go 8-3, with only 7 Div I-AA wins? Hmmmmm... :confused:

2-3 CalPolys this year... But hey, look how the Stangs are doing in '05! Maybe getting left behind is just what the doctor ordered to get you into the playoffs from a weaker schedule...

As for Hampton, they are good. We won't know how good until the playoffs. They have as good a shot as anyone right now to run the table.

If Hampton looses this weekend, Coastal is all but guaranteed a spot, barring a tragedy. It could happen, that score was close this weekend for the Chants!

umassfan
October 17th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Thanks Pirateized1!!!

Some crazy guy said the MEAC should not even get an automatic bid. Crazy we only get one team in the playoffs (usually) and even if we go undefeated we still should not get a shot??? Crazy!!! OK since the A-10 is so tough why don't you give up your automatic berth and get in based on your leagues awesome strength of schedule??
Umm usually teams with more then one school in means both or all three or four would get in with or without the Auto bid... only Montana St got in recently because of their Auto when they shouldnt have.

89Hen
October 17th, 2005, 01:44 PM
89Hen already said that Hampton would beat Harvard, so would Hampton beat Delaware?
No. They would kill Delaware.

89Hen
October 17th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Savannah State? Are you SERIOUS?
Didn't Georgia Southern play SSU a couple times recently?

ChickenMan
October 17th, 2005, 02:19 PM

Currently, the A-10 frontrunner is UMass. They have Hofstra, UNH and I-A Army on the schedule. They've alreay lost to unranked Colgate.

and they still are @ Delaware... no matter how poorly UD has played in the past three weeks... they will always be a tough nut to crack at home. UD isn't going to the playoffs this year... but anyone (particularly UMass) who thinks they will get a win just by showing up in Newark... is definately counting their chickens before the eggs are hatched... ;)

bluehenbillk
October 17th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Without reading the 1st 5 pages of this thread, Hampton has an argument for a seed. They may be the only undefeated team left at the end of the year & can you really pick 4 strong teams as seeds at this point?

On the other hand, the history of MEAC teams in the tourney is a BIG negative against them.

TypicalTribe
October 17th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Right now, I'd seed the field as follows:

Montana at #1 Cal Poly
McNeese St. at EWU

Appy St. at Texas St.
EIU at #4 WKU

Holy Cross at #2 UMass
UNH at YSU

CCU at #3 Furman
W&M at Hampton

OL FU
October 17th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Right now, I'd seed the field as follows:

Montana at #1 Cal Poly
McNeese St. at EWU

Appy St. at Texas St.
EIU at #4 WKU

Holy Cross at #2 UMass
UNH at YSU

CCU at #3 Furman
W&M at Hampton

IF CCU beat Furman I would never hear the end of it from I-AA 2005.
But I have been looking at that as a possible match up whether FU is seeded ot not. Would look forward to it.

I think if App gets in at 8-3, they get a home game. It would mean they win out the year except for LSU and would probably finish ranked high.

I still think if Hampton is 11-0 , right or wrong, they will be seeded. They would be ranked in the top four in at least the TSN poll.

pirateRIQ
October 17th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Good commentary. If we win out we deserve a home game. A seed will be arguable.

PIRATETIZED1
October 18th, 2005, 03:17 AM
OKAY Ralph.........

I respect the fact you have your opinion.

I really was not trying to change your mind. Just to show you HU is ready for some A10 type competition. It would've been nice if UCF, Army, Jas.Mad, W&M, Wofford, Furman, etc. was on the schedule of this year's squad. BUT they weren't.

I just hope this year's squad goes ALL the way to prove a rare point to all the doubters. Heaven knows more than YOU....then HAVE TO win this Saturday. Within the conference....it's a rivalry game! Outsiders looking in are just WAITING & HOPING for Hampton to lose....SOTHEY CAN SAY I TOLD YOU SO!!!!

Basically Hampton is in a lose-lose situation unless they can win all the way including the championship game in Chattanooga. Obviously very difficult to do.

I posted on the other title just to show you & others that Hampton REALLY did try to break away from the MEAC simply because they were ready to. For three straight years, Hampton (was named Conference School of the year) for winning the most conference championships in other sports....both male & female.

Hampton knows MEAC is slowing them down. At that time, A10 was a perfect fit for HU. Obviously, the A10 disagreed. If HU is in the A10...we would not be chatting about this now. AGREED???? Case closed. You schedule the best OOC that schedules & commitments allow. You play whats laid out...beit very strong or VERY weak.

Win or lose this Saturday...this game will be a "barn-burner". Last year's game at Orangburg was. Hampton was lucky to capitalized on SCState's turnovers. Anything can happen with a rivalry game. I.E. USC vs ND last Saturday. This game will probably be that type of game (or like the Thrilla in Manila type!).

Good hearing from you....Take care.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HAMPTON UNIVERSITY - "...Of Service To God and Our Nation..."

Eagle22
October 18th, 2005, 04:21 AM
Without reading the 1st 5 pages of this thread, Hampton has an argument for a seed. They may be the only undefeated team left at the end of the year & can you really pick 4 strong teams as seeds at this point?

On the other hand, the history of MEAC teams in the tourney is a BIG negative against them.

Almost similar sentiments here.

I haven't read the first 7 pages :), and think after watching a few of their games that they are seed-worthy.

FAMU has had some success in the past for the MEAC, and some of their teams gave some good GSU teams fits. I'm a firm believer that the '99 Rattlers would have given GSU a much tougher championship game had they not self-destructed in Youngstown in the semi's.

If Hampton wins out they certainly deserve a top 4 seed.

Tribe4SF
October 18th, 2005, 07:26 AM
If Hampton wins out they certainly deserve a top 4 seed.

The relevant question is whether they will get it with the criteria and priorities of the committee. Strength of schedule is near the top of the committee's list of considerations (as it should be), and Hampton will have a difficult time measuring up against whoever else is under consideration.

See where Hampton sits in the GPI at seasons end, and you'll get a hint of whether a top 4 is possible.

89Hen
October 18th, 2005, 08:32 AM
an indefensible position because their schedule is soooooo weak. Like I continue to say, their first playoff game will be by far the best competition they have faced this year. How many other playoff teams will say that?
It's indefensible as much as it's uncondemning. Can a weak team get by a weak schedule and remain undefeated? Sure, but it doesn't mean they are a weak team. As for other playoff teams that will face their toughest test of the year? It ABSOLUTELY happens to others. You don't think Furman was JSU's toughest opponent by far last year? Or WKU the year before? You could even say Lehigh's toughest opponent last year was JMU.

89Hen
October 18th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Take a look at whom Hampton has had to play in the first round in their three previous trips.

2004 - #4 seed W&M (lost by 7)
1998 - UConn, I don't think they were seeded, but don't forget they beat the NC from that year (UMass) twice during the season (lost by 8)
1997 - eventual NC YSU (lost by 15)

I can't believe I'm being such a MEAC defender, but if you want to look at pitiful playoff performance, look at the OVC. Last playoff win was Murray in 1996! Since then....

EIU 0-3
JSU 0-2
TSU 0-2
Murray 0-1
EKU 0-1

arranger101
October 18th, 2005, 11:42 AM
This is going to be an intereresting remaindr of the season.

xcoffeex

89Hen
October 18th, 2005, 12:49 PM
:confused:

Eastern Washington 35 (Air Force) LOSS
#1 SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 31 (Northern Ill) LOSS

SAM HOUSTON STATE 54 (Montana?)
Western Kentucky 24 (Kansas St) LOSS

MONTANA 56 (Sam Houston St) LOSS
Northwestern State 7 (UL Lafayette) LOSS

New Hampshire 27 #4 (Rutgers)
GEORGIA SOUTHERN 23 (Georgia) LOSS

#3 WILLIAM & MARY 42 (No Carolina) LOSS
Hampton 35 ???

DELAWARE 28 (Navy) LOSS
Lafayette 14 (Harvard) LOSS

James Madison 14 (West Virginia) LOSS
LEHIGH 13 ???

#2 FURMAN 49 (Pittsburgh) LOSS
Jacksonville State 7 ???

So basically you're saying if Hampton had played a I-A or I-AA playoff team during the regular season and lost, you'd somehow have more respect for them?

Punchykky
October 18th, 2005, 01:18 PM
:confused:

Eastern Washington 35 (Air Force) LOSS
#1 SOUTHERN ILLINOIS 31 (Northern Ill) LOSS

SAM HOUSTON STATE 54 (Montana?)
Western Kentucky 24 (Kansas St) LOSS

MONTANA 56 (Sam Houston St) LOSS
Northwestern State 7 (UL Lafayette) LOSS

New Hampshire 27 #4 (Rutgers)
GEORGIA SOUTHERN 23 (Georgia) LOSS

#3 WILLIAM & MARY 42 (No Carolina) LOSS
Hampton 35 ???

DELAWARE 28 (Navy) LOSS
Lafayette 14 (Harvard) LOSS

James Madison 14 (West Virginia) LOSS
LEHIGH 13 ???

#2 FURMAN 49 (Pittsburgh) LOSS
Jacksonville State 7 ???

So basically you're saying if Hampton had played a I-A or I-AA playoff team during the regular season and lost, you'd somehow have more respect for them?

That's what it sounds like to me!
:)

WMTribe90
October 18th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Ralph 1 89 Hen 0

Cap'n Cat
October 18th, 2005, 05:02 PM
No. You're twisting things.

No. Not Hen.

:rolleyes:

:D :D :D

blukeys
October 18th, 2005, 07:56 PM
No. You're twisting things. I said: "Like I continue to say, their first playoff game will be by far the best competition they have faced this year. How many other playoff teams will say that?" I have said over and over that I respect Hampton, you misassociated "weak" with what I said. You brought up the other stuff and I just showed you that it wasn't the norm for that to happen. :nod:

Agree with Ralph on this one. I saw a little of Hampton last year and Mathis was clearly the class of both teams on the field that day. The rest of the team was not that impressive by the standards of the A-10, Gateway, SoCon or BSC. The best team that Hampton faced last year was W&M in the playoffs. I can name other teams on UD's 2004 schedule who would have been more impressive than Lafayette, UD's playoff opponent. They include Navy, JMU, W&M, UNH, Nova (the week before Lafayette) I will not get to see Hampton this year but without FAMU being a factor the MEAC does not offer much competition or anything to compare to overall in I-AA.

Punchykky
October 18th, 2005, 08:07 PM
No. You're twisting things. I said: "Like I continue to say, their first playoff game will be by far the best competition they have faced this year. How many other playoff teams will say that?" I have said over and over that I respect Hampton, you misassociated "weak" with what I said. You brought up the other stuff and I just showed you that it wasn't the norm for that to happen. :nod:

Well,,,ok. I don't mean to :deadhorse , but people on here are saying that Hampton is playing a weak schedule this year with their out of conference games. I'm positive that Hampton would love to schedule a Richmond, W&M, or JMU during the regular season, but it's not Hampton's fault it's not happening. They played JMU a couple of years ago, and defeated them. Now where's the return game? That's just one example of why the MEAC is not playing upper caliber D1-AA squads in the A-10, Big South, and other D1-AA conferences.

89Hen
October 18th, 2005, 08:09 PM
"Like I continue to say, their first playoff game will be by far the best competition they have faced this year. How many other playoff teams will say that?"
Well, we found two others from last year so 3 out of 16 were in the same boat. Then put in the ones that faced tougher teams and lost.... that's not an insignificant number.

PIRATETIZED1
October 19th, 2005, 02:41 AM
OOC games comparison between HAMPTON & TOWSON between 1996-2004

1996 - HU played CAU & Liberty
1996 - TU played a Independent Mid-Major Sked

1997 - HU played William & Mary; Grambling; Liberty & Youngstown St. in PL
1997 - TU played Monmouth; Columbia; Penn; Robert Morris

1998 - HU played Grambling; Liberty; W&M; UCONN in Playoffs
1998 - TU played Morgan St.; Monmouth; St. Mary's(CA);Dayton; Drake

1999 - HU played Ark.-Pine Bluff; Grambling; Southern
1999 - TU played Monmouth; Morgan; Columbia; Howard; Dayton

2000 - HU played New Hamphire; Winston-Salem; Southern Utah
2000 - TU played Morgan St; Howard; Monmouth; St. Mary's; Drake

2001 - HU played New Hamphire; VA St.; Rhode Island
2001 - TU played Albany(NY); Monmouth; Morgan St.

2002 - HU played Jas.Madison; Missouri St.; Alcorn St.; Bowie St.
2002 - TU played Morgan; Brown; Cornell; Monmouth

2003 - HU played Villanova; Tuskegee; Savannah St.
2003 - TU played Morgan St; Lock Haven; Yale; Elon; Albany(NY)

2004 - HU played Jackson St.; Western Ill.; Gardner-Webb; Sav. St; W&M in PL
2004 - TU now in the A10 South played OOC - Elon; Cornell; Bowie St.

Orig. posted by punchykky
Well,,,ok. I don't mean to , but people on here are saying that Hampton is playing a weak schedule this year with their out of conference games. I'm positive that Hampton would love to schedule a Richmond, W&M, or JMU during the regular season, but it's not Hampton's fault it's not happening. They played JMU a couple of years ago, and defeated them. Now where's the return game? That's just one example of why the MEAC is not playing upper caliber D1-AA squads in the A-10, Big South, and other D1-AA conferences.

Punchykky....

As usual, I agree w/YOU! From what I posted above...Hampton Scores were as follows:

W&M 31 HU 6
HU 33 Liberty 28
YSU 28 HU 13 (HU's 1st ever appearance in 1-AA Playoffs)

HU 21 Liberty 0
W&M 41 HU 34 (Controversial Call; But HU's BIG Improvement the year Prior)
UCONN 42 HU 34 (2nd PL appearance)

New Hamp 31 HU 17
HU 42 So.Utah 34

UNH 45 HU 29
URI 56 HU 7

HU 31 Jas Mad 28
MO. ST. 28 HU 26

Nova 41 HU 6

HU 40 W.ILL 20
HU 48 Gard-Webb 25
W&M 42 HU 35 (3rd time in Playoffs)

Comparing W&M & Hampton is like comparing Grapes with Lemons. Why???
W&M has (at least since 1950) always played Div.I-A or Div.1-AA. Hampton joined MEAC in 1995. Personally, the Pirates have very done well in Div.1-AA OOC games as shown above.

Punchy's correct. No one does not know why W&M, Jas.Mad. & W.ILL cannot continue to play Hampton every year (regular season). Or why THIS SEASON (of all seasons) happens to have 1 of the weakest OOC schedules for Hampton. I'm sure scheduling, contracts, etc. is partly to blame.

But do not think for a moment, that Hampton is shying away from wanting to play these teams each year...based on what I just showed y'all. If there is any "shyness", it's from "our friends" from the A10, Gateway, etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tribe4SF
October 19th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Piratetized,

I'm with you in wanting to see an annual game between HU and W&M. To me it's a no-brainer. If we had played it this year, it would have sold-out at either location. The whole area could get involved in promoting an annual "Pride of the Peninsula" game.

Everyone at W&M has great respect for Joe Taylor and the HU program. He did a masterful coaching job in last years game, finding every way possible to get the ball in Jerome Mathis' hands. The HU fans were great, also.

TypicalTribe
October 19th, 2005, 04:07 PM
In all seriousness, if "everyone" has such respect for us, then "everyone" needs to give us a home and home.

Not sure if it's the case, but I think it's unlikely that W&M wants to play a I-A and Hampton OOC in the same year. And since W&M is aplying a I-A team each year for the foreseeable future, I don't think we're going to be seeing much of the rivalry.

89Hen
October 19th, 2005, 05:04 PM
if you think we haven't asked for these games, then you're DEAD wrong. If you think we can force someone to schedule us, then you're dead wrong also.
I've never believed that kind of arguement before. What happens most of the time is an AD asks a particular school about interest and they say no, then it comes out on a message board that "everyone is afraid to play us". I've seen fans try to make this case before and it never has legs.

UNHknowledge
October 19th, 2005, 09:19 PM
I don't care about Hampton's weak schedule or not. I'd just like to see them play UNH in the playoffs and get scorched like they did in 2001 and 2002 in UNH's bottom feeder days. I can only imagine what the Cats would do to them now.

Punchykky
October 20th, 2005, 09:13 AM
I don't care about Hampton's weak schedule or not. I'd just like to see them play UNH in the playoffs and get scorched like they did in 2001 and 2002 in UNH's bottom feeder days. I can only imagine what the Cats would do to them now.

And just exactly what do you think UNH would do to HU if they meet in the playoffs? :confused:

PIRATETIZED1
October 20th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Orig. posted by TypicalTribe
Not sure if it's the case, but I think it's unlikely that W&M wants to play a I-A and Hampton OOC in the same year. And since W&M is aplying a I-A team each year for the foreseeable future, I don't think we're going to be seeing much of the rivalry.

Ya' know....That's Why I enjoy being in this thread with some of you guys on "ags.com".

On one hand, some of you (not all of you) criticize the MEAC. That's OKAY. Some (& same) criticize Hampton & SCState, etc. Ya' say our OOC is Weak or VERY Weak. Then you accurately(like TYPICALTRIBE[above]) give "CONVENIENT" excuses why you will not schedule us during "YOUR" regular OOC dates!
The reasons are VERY obvious...Yo' Team may not make the 1-AA playoffs if y'all lose to the 1-A team then Hampton or SCState PLUS lose a game or 2 in your conference.
Then some of you (some of same) have the "GALL" to say if Hampton goes Undefeated, HU should not be seeded due to their "WEAK" OOC. We Alums & Fans of our teams in the MEAC are smart enough to realize there are more quality athletes in the A10. But watch Hampton & SCState THIS year. Ya' BETTER hope & pray the committee does NOT allow both of OUR teams in the playoffs THIS year. There WILL be considerable damage done to your expectations.

Sooooooo....Either YOU guys schedule us & play us WITH or WITHOUT a 1-A team on your schedule the same seasonwithout excuses....OR not play us;be silent on OUR OOC schedule.... let us WHIP whoever's on our schedule...then come PLAYOFF TIME....let us get our SEEDING we deserve then KICK & FLATTEN your TEAMS BOO-TAY & move out our way to Chattanooga!!!!!

Have a Nice Day, EVERYONE!

PIRATETIZED :mad:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PIRATETIZED1
October 20th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Yo' PUNCHY.....

Don't hold your breath for an HONEST answer.....or maybe any answer at all!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

p.s. After reading the thread of NSU & BCC.....It will NOT be LONG before Norfolk State will be in the HUNT for Div.1-AA Playoffs!!!!! Be encouraged, My Brotha' !!!!!!!

txstatebobcat
October 20th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Truthfully it wouldn't surprise me to see Hampton get a seed. The A-10 and Southern champions may have two or three losses by the time the regular season is over with. That should give HU the chance to move up in the rankings as long as they keep on winning.

I came to the same conclusion for TxSt becoming a top one or two seed. Cal Poly and Western Kentucky still have a bunch of tough teams to play, and the big sky champion will have at least two and probably three losses by the time the season ends.

colgate13
October 20th, 2005, 12:15 PM
then come PLAYOFF TIME....let us get our SEEDING we deserve then KICK & FLATTEN your TEAMS BOO-TAY & move out our way to Chattanooga!!!!!

Hmmm... Why does that notoriously sound like putting the cart before the horse? You will deserve a seed IMHO if you go 11-0. Seems to me you still have to do that first. Regardless of who is on the schedule, going 11-0 at this level is no easy task. Do it first, then let's talk.

Then, for a team that has NEVER won a game in the post season, that's an awful lot of chest thumping. :twocents:

henfan
October 20th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Hampton's a pretty good football team right now. They've defeated all five scholarship I-AA teams they've and, possibly, a #1 ranking- no questions asked. I'm assuming they'll be making bids to host playoff games.

Tribe4SF
October 20th, 2005, 12:36 PM
I'm assuming they'll be making bids to host playoff games.

If they're seeded, they won't have to.

colgate13
October 20th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Well in theory, wouldn't they? A seeded team has to be home - right? Why would a committee seed them if they weren't going to want a home game? :confused:

UNHknowledge
October 20th, 2005, 12:54 PM
We would LOVE to drag you backwoods New Hampshire bamas all up and down the field!!!!

You guys looked like you were LOST in the woods in 2001 and 2002. You don't reeeaally want to play us...well maybe you do...but the players definitly don't.

UNHknowledge
October 20th, 2005, 12:56 PM
And just exactly what do you think UNH would do to HU if they meet in the playoffs? :confused:

WIN again

Tribe4SF
October 20th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Well in theory, wouldn't they? A seeded team has to be home - right? Why would a committee seed them if they weren't going to want a home game? :confused:

The committee selects what they believe are the top 4 teams in the country. Has nothing to do with bids. They're home till they face a higher seed.

Punchykky
October 20th, 2005, 01:11 PM
The committee selects what they believe are the top 4 teams in the country. Has nothing to do with bids. They're home till they face a higher seed.
Where can I go to find the most current, up to date top 25 ranking for D1-AA football, preferrably the ranking the selection committee will use to make seeding determinations? :confused:

colgate13
October 20th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Where can I go to find the most current, up to date top 25 ranking for D1-AA football, preferrably the ranking the selection committee will use to make seeding determinations? :confused:

The committee uses their own ranking, but the GPI has been the most accurate in the past.

Link (http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=73395)

colgate13
October 20th, 2005, 01:19 PM

I understand that, but doesn't a school have to agree to host a game? The NCAA can't force a seed to host, so in theory shouldn't they be bidding if they want to be a seed?

headdressguy
October 20th, 2005, 01:22 PM

I'm a little bit confused. I thought even seeded teams had to submit a bid, and that the difference is that a seed only needs to make an NCAA mandated minimum bid to host a game against an unseeded or lower seeded team. Unseeded teams playing other unseeded teams, on the other hand, need to outbid opponents. Can anybody verify this or correct me?

Edited for clarity

headdressguy
October 20th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Thanks Ralph! That's basically as I had envisioned it, whether my words made that clear or not

kardplayer
October 20th, 2005, 06:56 PM
I'm a little bit confused. I thought even seeded teams had to submit a bid, and that the difference is that a seed only needs to make an NCAA mandated minimum bid to host a game against an unseeded or lower seeded team. Unseeded teams playing other unseeded teams, on the other hand, need to outbid opponents. Can anybody verify this or correct me?

Edited for clarity

I think this is right. That's why Colgate didn't host the semifinal in 2003, despite being the seeded team - they chose not to bid.

txstatebobcat
October 21st, 2005, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by txstatebobcat
Truthfully it wouldn't surprise me to see Hampton get a seed. The A-10 and Southern champions may have two or three losses by the time the regular season is over with. That should give HU the chance to move up in the rankings as long as they keep on winning.
I came to the same conclusion for TxSt becoming a top one or two seed. Cal Poly and Western Kentucky still have a bunch of tough teams to play, and the big sky champion will have at least two and probably three losses by the time the season ends.

a bunch of tough teams to play

Thats beside the point. If any of those teams were to lose especially in the latter half of the season, they will drop in the rankings. It may not be by much, but they will drop nonetheless. If Cal Poly were to lose to Montana, then Cal Poly will probably drop out of the top five. Montana on the other hand won't jump into the top five unless several other teams were to lose. TxSt on the other hand would likely move into the top four should we win against Northwestern St.

PIRATETIZED1
October 21st, 2005, 12:40 AM
Ralph.....

Thnx for posted the 1-AA.org reference on how the Process, Seeding/Brackets are set up.

That's good Info!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tribe4SF
October 21st, 2005, 08:06 AM
The last I checked, it was 2005- not 2001 or 2002. I guess they forgot to teach you how to count in New Hampshire. I hope we do play, and I hope you have some money to back up the bullschitt you are spewing. Yeah, I want to play you, and you better believe those Pirates in uniform will line and to play ANYONE who is put in front of them.

When it gets this weak, it's time to quit the smack! :shakingma

GrizSweeper
October 26th, 2005, 07:04 PM
theres no way Hampton should get one of the top seeds. They've only played one quality opponent this year and I hope the selection commitee will take note of that. Put them in the Big Sky or A 10 and they are definitely not thinking playoffs come end of the season