Gamecocks99
July 2nd, 2008, 09:12 AM
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/new ... 52491e547d

Per: GoJaxState.com story posted by Gemofthehills
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Rowell cashing in on 'second chance at life'
Allen Cameron, Calgary Herald
Published: Wednesday, July 02, 2008

LeMarcus Rowell is expected to take a big step forward when he makes his Canadian Football League debut Thursday night at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton.

But the really big step forward? Well, that's still a few months away, but as far as Rowell (rhymes with towel) is concerned, it's just as big, if not bigger.

He's just one class away from completing a degree in forensic science at Jacksonville State University, and that'll complete a remarkable turnaround for a man who was dogged by off-field problems during his college football career at Auburn and then Jacksonville State.

Rowell is one class away from his degree in forensic science.
Ted Jacob, Calgary Herald

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:****"I'm going back home during the off-season to take my last class, and then I'll be walking across the stage," said a smiling Rowell on Tuesday. "It'll be a big deal; I'll be the second person in my family to graduate, behind my mom. She told me a long time ago, once I start something, always finish it. So I've been working hard to finish the degree."

Rowell is reluctant to talk about his past transgressions, which include being kicked off Auburn's team after being charged with marijuana possession, carrying an unlicensed gun and driving under the influence.

Instead, he looks forward, and the degree is just one example of how he's turned his life around.

"Sometimes you need to be kicked around and have those downs before you get those ups," said the 25-year-old from Opelika, Ala. "It just made me a smarter person, a smarter player and a better person. Now, I'm just looking forward, moving on.

"This is a big opportunity for me; it's a great blessing. This is my second chance at life."

The Stamps, intrigued by Rowell's blend of size (six foot two, 218 pounds) and speed, took a flyer on him, projecting him as a defensive end. He started training camp on the line before dropping back to his familiar linebacking spot for the second exhibition game against B.C.

"It was kind of tough getting close to the trenches and being in the front lines," said Rowell, who'll likely spend most of his time Thursday night at linebacker, but could also swap positions occasionally with defensive end Mike Labinjo to give the the Eskimos a different look. "Normally, those guys are keeping the big guys (on the offensive line) off of you. Now, I was one of the guys who had to keep them off our linebackers. Going back to linebacker was like a homecoming for me. It felt comfortable; it was a good fit for me."

The fact Rowell and Labinjo have that kind of flexibility is exactly what the Stamps were looking for in the off-season.

"It definitely gives (defensive co-ordinator) Chris Jones a lot of options, as far as adjustments and game-planning goes," said Stamps coach and GM John Hufnagel. "And it's no secret that that's what we were trying to accomplish with our off-season signings."

The flexibility paid off in last week's win over B.C. when Labinjo moved from defensive end to middle linebacker to replace the injured Saleem Rasheed; Rowell wasn't dressed for the game.

"I was on the field at my end spot, and I heard coach Jones yelling at me, 'Labinjo, you're in the middle!' And I started looking around for Rasheed and I realized he wasn't out there," recalled a chuckling Labinjo. "It was actually smooth; training camp definitely helped me prepare for that.

1 2 next page

Rowell cashing in on 'second chance at life'
Allen Cameron, Calgary Herald
Published: Wednesday, July 02, 2008

"I think I like being the utility man. I think it's big for the team just knowing different positions, and at the same time, it's fun having a lot of responsibility. I think I'll on both sides of the field at (defensive) end, and at linebacker as well, so it makes it kind of hard (for opposing teams) when you have guys who can play multiple positions."

Rowell, meanwhile, can't wait to get his first taste of CFL action. His mom, already bursting at the seams with pride over his pending graduation, got the good news on Monday night.

"We phone each other, we text each other -- we're like sister and brother," smiled Rowell. "We talked about (Thursday's game) last night. She was very happy for me; she's a proud mother

1st post by JaxSinfonian on Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:12 pm

Props to the Calgary paper on this one. If this guy ( LeMarcus Rowell ) can turn things around at JSU, Perrilloux should be just fine.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
very much agreed Perilloux will be just fine at Jax State xnodx xnodx

FCS Go!
July 2nd, 2008, 09:34 AM
? Link To sitemap ? xsmhx

Gamecocks99
July 2nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
? Link To sitemap ? xsmhx

Sorry

I just cut & Paste the article

Gamecocks99
July 2nd, 2008, 01:14 PM
This story should confirm that Ryan Perrilloux is at the right University to get his life and career back on track.

I'm very proud of LeMarcus Rowell :) :)

lizrdgizrd
July 2nd, 2008, 01:46 PM
This story should confirm that Ryan Perrilloux is at the right University to get his life and career back on track.

I'm very proud of LeMarcus Rowell :) :)
Let's hope RP can follow where Rowell is leading. Not everyone learns from mistakes.

Gamecocks99
July 3rd, 2008, 08:42 AM
Let's hope RP can follow where Rowell is leading. Not everyone learns from mistakes..

Rowell is leading by example

RP seems to be on the right track and moving forward. Which is encouraging.
:)