PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Game for Your School in 08'

AppStFan76
July 1st, 2008, 07:39 AM
There have been lots of predictions on AGS over the last few weeks.

Now that we are within 2 months of kickoff, what are the biggest games of the season for your school? Is there a game that you feel will decide the rest of your season or whether you make it to the playoffs or not?

For App IMO the JMU game will answer alot of questions for App fans. I think based on the way we play in that game will set the stage for the rest of the season.

andy7171
July 1st, 2008, 07:54 AM
Navy, easy. Although Delaware, JMU, Richmond and Villanova ain't no slouches.

First FBS match up in school history. Our wins over Buffalo and UConn were when they were I-AA.

elcid96
July 1st, 2008, 07:55 AM
Webber. If they score, it will be a long year for our D.

mebisonII
July 1st, 2008, 07:55 AM
I'm going to go with UNI (for NDSU), although I'm biased because that's the one I can make it to! :D

But I'm really looking forward to seeing how we stack up in the MVFC, so it should be a great game with lots of fans from both sides!

Cobblestone
July 1st, 2008, 07:56 AM
Your biggest game is always the next one to be played. With that being said, obviously our most visible game is against BC but I think the game which will really show what direction we're headed in with our new staff will be the Fordham game on 9/6 @ Fordham. I think that'll be a tough test and if we come out of there with a win it could at least indicate that our season is headed in a positive direction.

Fordham
July 1st, 2008, 08:02 AM
Your biggest game is always the next one to be played. I think the game which will really show what direction we're headed in as defending champs will be the URI game on 9/6 @ Fordham. I think that'll be a tough test and if we come out of there with a win it could at least indicate that our season is headed in a positive direction.

xthumbsupx

813Jag
July 1st, 2008, 08:18 AM
Your biggest game is always the next one to be played. With that being said, obviously our most visible game is against BC but I think the game which will really show what direction we're headed in with our new staff will be the Fordham game on 9/6 @ Fordham. I think that'll be a tough test and if we come out of there with a win it could at least indicate that our season is headed in a positive direction.
I agree with the bolded statement, a good outing against University of Houston can really help our team. But FCS-wise our games against PVU and Grambling loom large. Those two games will probably determine if the Jags will make the SWAC Championship game.

The Cats
July 1st, 2008, 08:29 AM
For Western, I think there is three big games....

#1 - Shorter.... "only" because if ushers in the Wagner era

#2 - Florida State..... it's obvious - an early test - we'll see what progress has been made, if any

#3 - Battle for the Old Mountain Jug (vs. ASU) - in Cullowhee this year xpissedx xpissedx

slostang
July 1st, 2008, 08:36 AM
For Cal Poly:

FBS: Wisconsin ($500,000 pay day).

FCS: Montana (finally get them at home), McNeese State (can not wait for the tailgating) and UC Davis (conference rival).

introvertedGSUfan
July 1st, 2008, 08:45 AM
For Georgia Southern:

FBS: Georgia (if we can keep UGA from beating us by no more than 20 points, then many questions about our young team will be answered).

FCS: Appalachian State (they're back at Paulson this year and beating them will be a feather in GSU's cap regardless of the season we'll have).

R.A.
July 1st, 2008, 08:58 AM
For Cal Poly:

Cal Poly's getting $500,000 from Wisconsin?

RabidRabbit
July 1st, 2008, 08:59 AM
With the premise of indicating how the season is going to go....

First ever FBS game vs Iowa St. Hope the Jacks open their season by following the example set by their northern Bovine buddy in winning our first.

Next week 9/6, Jacks face a determined Youngstown team. Youngstown has been nasty to the Jacks the last two times. But now, it's the conference opener, AND IT'S IN BROOKINGS xhurrayx xhurrayx

Of course the REALLY BIG game, is vs. NDSU in Fargo, but not til the last Sat. of the season. So won't be indicative of how the season WILL go, but hopefully will show that even BUNNIES should be in the play-offs. Especially with a win in a place that Jacks haven't won at in OVER 40 years. xbawlingx xbawlingx

appfan2008
July 1st, 2008, 09:02 AM
without a doubt the biggest game will be the jmu game... and jmu fans will probably say the asu game... it is huge... probably biggest nonconference game in all of fcs next year and it will certainly answer a lot of questions early on in the season for both teams

slostang
July 1st, 2008, 09:08 AM
Cal Poly's getting $500,000 from Wisconsin?

Yes. Cal Poly also plays FBS San Diego State for a much smaller pay day.

93henfan
July 1st, 2008, 09:26 AM
WEST CHESTER, as always!

It's been a competitive series, with Delaware holding a slight edge at 42-6-1

jimbo65
July 1st, 2008, 09:32 AM
OOC Yale, hopefully two unbeatens battle it out in the Bronx. Hey if we are losing we'll steal the tires from their bus.

In-conference, Holy Cross, hopefully for PL championship and a repeat appearance in post season play.

Those are my hopes. Hope is not a plan so the most important game is your next game.

Appinator
July 1st, 2008, 09:45 AM
App v. JMU for sure, IMO.

One thing to keep in mind, ASU comes off a bye week into this game, and has Jacksonville the week before that, so there is some potential for our guys to be fresh and ready to go with two weeks to prepare for the Dukes. JMU has a tough game with UMass the week before.

Advantage? Who knows....

Dinman31
July 1st, 2008, 09:57 AM
Despite having ASU, Delaware, Virginia Tech, Elon, Wofford, etc on the schedule, I think the biggest game for Furman is September 13 at Colgate. Winning on the road against a solid FCS foe is a must if we are to contend for the playoffs.

MSUfan2010
July 1st, 2008, 09:58 AM
For Missouri State:

How can you pick?

I cant really say OSU Cowboys because we havent been competitive in any FBS game the last several years except the one againt Arkansas a few back.

Playing in the MVFC they are all huge. I will say either YSU, SIU, WIU, ISU(red), and SDSU.xlolx

WIU because its our first "big" game. I dont give us a chance against OSU and Wasburn(D2) and SEMO hopefully arent a problem. Its also our first conference game.

YSU and SIU because if we can take care of them at home, it sets up a chance to run the table at home. SIU because other then Wichita State, they are the school I hate the most.

ISU(red) and SDSU because we havent won on the road against a team other then Indiana State and SEMO in who knows how long.

I probably put too much into that but what else have I got to do? xthumbsupx

Hopefully this is a new year of Bears football. To see a winning record last year was unbelieveable and could be the last we see in the next few as you add the Dakotas. But TA is bringing in guys to compete and win and not just to stay close in the score.

CopperCat
July 1st, 2008, 10:05 AM
EWU, because we haven't beaten them in a long time. And because they are the conference favorite. Yeah, UM is an important game too, but EWU will tell us a lot about the team after that game has been played.

Screamin_Eagle174
July 1st, 2008, 10:20 AM
For Eastern Washington:

FBS: Texas Tech If we put up at least 3 or 4 scores and hold them under 50... I think Eastern will be a force to be reckoned with. This game will be a great indicator of what we can do.

FCS: Montana Despite probably being the preseason favorites, and it's also being played at home in Cheney, Montana always gives EWU all we can handle, especially at home (likewise we give UM all they can handle in WGS). If my Eagles take care of business at home, I think we can run the table (which we'll have to do) in order to reach the playoffs.

mcveyrl
July 1st, 2008, 10:20 AM
without a doubt the biggest game will be the jmu game... and jmu fans will probably say the asu game... it is huge... probably biggest nonconference game in all of fcs next year and it will certainly answer a lot of questions early on in the season for both teams

App v. JMU for sure, IMO.

One thing to keep in mind, ASU comes off a bye week into this game, and has Jacksonville the week before that, so there is some potential for our guys to be fresh and ready to go with two weeks to prepare for the Dukes. JMU has a tough game with UMass the week before.

Advantage? Who knows....

It is for that reason that I'm going to say the UMass game. If we lose to UMass, then we lose any momentum going into the ASU game. Plus, if we lose to Duke, then we have 2 losses going into the ASU game (assuming a win over NCCU). If we beat UMass, then the ASU game becomes big, but not a must win.

I-AA Fan
July 1st, 2008, 10:25 AM
I cannot agree with that. Either team will make the post-season with the loss, as long as the rest of the season fares well. Conference games take you out of the post-season. This OOC game is more pride than anything else. Now if either of the schools are borderline for the play-off, then that game may come into play.

grizband
July 1st, 2008, 10:27 AM
For a variety of reasons, Cal Poly is the biggest game for Montana this year. Beginning the season on the road against a very formidable FCS opponent will be a clear barometer to gauge the possible success of the Griz in 2008. Montana lost many key players on a defense that will stack up against one of the top offenses in 2007, who I believe return 10 starters. MSU is always a big game for Montana, and remains the largest rivalry, but Cal Poly is eager to play the Griz at home and will definitely bring their "A" game in week one.

citdog
July 1st, 2008, 10:30 AM
EVERY LAST DAMN ONE OF 'EM

GoAgs72
July 1st, 2008, 10:41 AM
For UC Davis:
FBS: San Jose State
FCS: GWFC - Cal Poly
FCS: OOC - Montana

Overall, I guess Cal Poly because of a developing rivalry and because we got embarrassed last year.

bjtheflamesfan
July 1st, 2008, 10:51 AM
The big ones for Liberty Id say are @ Youngstown State and home for Elon. The second one could possibly be for an at large berth for the Flames

mcveyrl
July 1st, 2008, 10:55 AM
EVERY LAST DAMN ONE OF 'EM

So, Florida?xeyebrowx

There's only one "last one." That's Florida. So "Every Last One" really only encompasses one game.
xsmiley_wix
Why is Florida such an important game?xconfusedx

DLS
July 1st, 2008, 10:57 AM
for appstate it will be the NC game.

no reason to not state the inevitable.

bostonspider
July 1st, 2008, 11:08 AM
For the Spiders, I think it will be the opener against Elon, as that will set the tone for the rest of the season. Beating a strong SC contender on the road will set Richmond up for a good season. Now the ones I most would like to win is probably UVA, followed by JMU and then good old W&M.

Lionsrking
July 1st, 2008, 11:17 AM
SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

For us it's a seven-way tie...

SFA
NW State
Central Arkansas
McNeese
Texas State
Sam Houston
Nicholls State

DSUrocks07
July 1st, 2008, 11:20 AM
Hornets:

Sept. 13 @ Kent State
IMO we can beat these guys this year

Oct. 18 vs NC A&T (Homecoming)
Homecoming is always a big game, and we could be 4-1 or 5-0 heading into this game.

Nov. 15 @ Norfolk State
rematch of last years game where we won the MEAC title, could possibly decide it again.

All in all I'm gonna have to go with the A&T game because well...ITS HOMECOMING!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

redflash2
July 1st, 2008, 11:26 AM
Hornets:

Sept. 13 @ Kent State
IMO we can beat these guys this year

Oct. 18 vs NC A&T (Homecoming)
Homecoming is always a big game, and we could be 4-1 or 5-0 heading into this game.

Nov. 15 @ Norfolk State
rematch of last years game where we won the MEAC title, could possibly decide it again.

All in all I'm gonna have to go with the A&T game because well...ITS HOMECOMING!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

No way you'll are beating kent state... NOT happening xnonono2x xnonox

mountaineertider
July 1st, 2008, 11:32 AM
LSU. Then it will be Jacksonville. Then it will be JMU. Then it's Presbyterian. Then The Citadel. Then Samford. Then GSU. Then Furman. Then Wofford. Then Chattanooga. Then Elon. Then Western.

One week at a time. Overlook one, and it could be ugly.

DSUrocks07
July 1st, 2008, 11:33 AM
No way you'll are beating kent state... NOT happening xnonono2x xnonox

xwhistlex 09/01/07 xwhistlex

xpeacex

DSUrocks07
July 1st, 2008, 11:37 AM
LSU. Then it will be Jacksonville. Then it will be JMU. Then it's Presbyterian. Then The Citadel. Then Samford. Then GSU. Then Furman. Then Wofford. Then Chattanooga. Then Elon. Then Western.

One week at a time. Overlook one, and it could be ugly.

The dreaded "snowball effect" xnonox

Repped BTW

813Jag
July 1st, 2008, 11:43 AM
The dreaded "snowball effect" xnonox

Repped BTW
As a fan, you can pick any game. (That's how I viewed this topic) As long as the team takes it week to week then it's all good.

I-AA Fan
July 1st, 2008, 11:44 AM
I would say the first 12-games on the schedule are life and death. The next four are not so trivial.

mountaineertider
July 1st, 2008, 11:45 AM
As a fan, you can pick any game. (That's how I viewed this topic) As long as the team takes it week to week then it's all good.

Ahh OK. Then it's gotta be James Madison. The talent discrepancy between us and LSU and Jacksonville will most likely be apparent in those games. I feel that we are on the same level (talent-wise) with JMU, and this will tell a lot about the season.

After that, for me at least, is Georgia Southern, Elon, Furman, and Western.

redflash2
July 1st, 2008, 11:56 AM
xwhistlex 09/01/07 xwhistlex

xpeacex

what happened 09/01/07??xeyebrowx

redflash2
July 1st, 2008, 12:01 PM
Ok you'll got a win against Coastal... Coastal and Kent are two different teams, and Kent beat on you'll last year and they really wasn't good. this year might be the same thing. but i do hope youll get a win over kent just can't see it bro...xnonono2x

furman94
July 1st, 2008, 12:07 PM
Delaware, App, Wofford, GSU, Elon, The Citadel and COLGATE! Damn, thats half our schedule!

TheValleyRaider
July 1st, 2008, 12:47 PM
The first 3 will be big:
8/30-at Stony Brook
9/6-at Coastal Carolina
9/13-Furman

Big OOC games, 2 on the road. Colgate always starts slower, so any wins in these games could presage a big season coming xnodx

g-webb1994
July 1st, 2008, 12:54 PM
OK, I'll eliminate the game at Georgia Tech on October 11, although the paycheck will be nice (speaking of which I read this week where G-W will play at Buffalo in 2009).

The game with the most intrigue to me is Sam Houston State coming here on September 27. Not many teams from west of the Mississippi come to Boiling Springs, so that will be a treat for the fans.

Importance....our game at Stony Brook on November 1. Right before our last two games with Coastal and Liberty, it will show whether or not we are contenders or pretenders for the Big South crown heading into those two key games.

furman94
July 1st, 2008, 01:20 PM
The first 3 will be big:
8/30-at Stony Brook
9/6-at Coastal Carolina
9/13-Furman

Big OOC games, 2 on the road. Colgate always starts slower, so any wins in these games could presage a big season coming xnodx

Your not alone xsmiley_wix !

Kelly Green
July 1st, 2008, 01:34 PM
11-1-08 vs SIU

UND against former Coach Dale Lennon.

GtFllsGriz
July 1st, 2008, 01:51 PM
Cal Poly, 1st game of the season! With so many unknowns about the Griz this year I think this game will give us a good indication in what direction the program is headed and what direction it needs to head for success. A typical slow start this season could be a real problem for the Griz. They better be ready right out of the chute! Win or lose, questions should be answered and set the course for the rest of the season.

JoshUCA
July 1st, 2008, 02:19 PM
For me, I believe our games...

@ Tulsa ('nuff said)
vs. UC Davis (revenge from 2006..33-13)
vs. Northwestern State (revenge from last year)
@ Nicholls (we barely beat them last year (49-42 in OT) at our place so this will be a big game for us)
vs. McNeese (as very tough opponent and looking for revenge from last years embarrassment...41-14)

And just about every other game!!

JayJ79
July 1st, 2008, 02:49 PM
For UNI,
as far as a game to make or break the season or the playoff chances, that all depends on how the Valley shapes up.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the UNI/NDSU game, since they were both hyped so much last season (but have a fair amount of turnover coming into this season).

jaxstatealum
July 1st, 2008, 02:52 PM
For us it will be both (equally)

EKU and EIU :D

carney2
July 1st, 2008, 04:37 PM
LAFAYETTE:

1. Lehigh: #144, 11/22/08
2. ChickenSquawks: #144, 11/22/08
3. FeatherHeads: #144, 11/22/08
4. If It's Brown Flush It Down: # 144, 11/22/08
5. MythicalBirds: #144, 11/22/08
6. Fordham: It's over if we don't win this one.
7. Colgate: C'mon, just one more time before I die.
8. Pennsylvania: The most winnable of the "monkey on our backs" games
9. Harvard: The least winnable of the "monkey on our backs" games.
10. Everyone else.

TheBisonator
July 1st, 2008, 04:42 PM
Probably for us it'll be 9/13 at Wyoming. The Cowboys fans haven't been showing much respect to us on their message board, even calling us a DII school at some points. Hopefully we'll show them on 9/13.

Lionsrking
July 1st, 2008, 04:46 PM
The Cowboys fans haven't been showing much respect to us on their message board, even calling us a DII school at some points.

You can't be serious??!!!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 1st, 2008, 04:48 PM
Yeah, Duke is calling JMU a DII school too. Typical. So I reminded them that our women's field hockey team beat them in the NCAA tourney last year and that our baseball team was a member of the Raliegh regional in the CWS.

I guess I should have reminded them about VCU. I suppose they are DII as well, right?

TheBisonator
July 1st, 2008, 04:49 PM

I'm serious. Some of the really ignorant FBS fans (even fans of Sun Belch and MAC schools) call FCS schools DII. I surf around some of the lower FBS teams' message boards and I find this type of thing. It's just blatant ignorance.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 1st, 2008, 04:56 PM
Biggest game?

As a fan - App St. of course.

As a rival - we have to beat UR and keep pace in that series. (naturally, you can substitute W&M and Delaware any given year depending who is on top)

As a Southerner - UMass!

JBB
July 1st, 2008, 05:13 PM
NDSU has a big game at Wyoming. The FBS games dont mean much but they are big none the less.

The Border Marker Game is the Big Game. Its in Fargo at the Fabulous Fargo Dome!! Go BISON!!!

dakotadan
July 1st, 2008, 05:48 PM
North Dakota's biggest game is definately Southern Illinois.

It's our first year in FCS. We will be facing one of the top programs in FCS. Oh yeah, and they just stole our head coach.

Our game against UC Davis will also be a game that North Dakota fans will be keeping their eye on. It should be a good measuring stick for us as it is a team we will be facing every year in the Great West.

brownbear
July 1st, 2008, 05:59 PM
This definitely came up last week, but our biggest games are going to be our home games against Harvard (Sept. 27) and Yale (Nov. 8). As IvyTalk always loves to rub in our face, we have had seven consecutive runner-up finishes in the annual Brown-Harvard game, and so ending that is always a good thing, and I guess it might be interesting because they won the title last year. Yale is always a big matchup, and the timing of it usually means it is a huge game in terms of the title race.

Lionsrking
July 1st, 2008, 06:44 PM
I'm serious. Some of the really ignorant FBS fans (even fans of Sun Belch and MAC schools) call FCS schools DII. I surf around some of the lower FBS teams' message boards and I find this type of thing. It's just blatant ignorance.

Well give me a link and I'll go pick a fight on behalf of the Bison...this nonsense cannot stand!!! xsmiley_wix

UNHWILDCATS05
July 1st, 2008, 07:07 PM
For UNH I really think it may be their first game against Army. We should get an idea of what the post Santos world is going to be like.

JackTwice
July 1st, 2008, 07:07 PM
I don't know that much about our opening opponent but its
"Something called an Iowa State" so I'm not sure if its a big game or not.

For the season, our opening game of the MVFC will be a big tell. Can this team actually play well early?

And always the Border Marker game. They have been tight the last 4years with both teams holding home court. Would love to see a win in Fargo

yorkcountyUNHfan
July 1st, 2008, 07:16 PM
For UNH I really think it may be their first game against Army. We should get an idea of what the post Santos world is going to be like.

Agreed, it'll set the tone for the whole season.

OrygunBison
July 1st, 2008, 07:59 PM
NDSU vs. App. St. in Chatty.

MR. CHICKEN
July 1st, 2008, 08:09 PM
FURMAN...................WE GOTTAH GO DOWN DERE.......SHOW DUH PURPLE........DAT DEY SHOULD.......JOIN.........DUH BIG SOUFF......xlolx.......BRAWK/OBAMA!

Hoseinexile07
July 1st, 2008, 08:17 PM
App State. Doesn't get much bigger than that.

Seawolf97
July 1st, 2008, 08:50 PM
The first 3 will be big:
8/30-at Stony Brook
9/6-at Coastal Carolina
9/13-Furman

Gotta agree. The Raiders will be a good early test for us. Power running and solid defense. The other two big ones are Elon on 9/6 and Liberty on 10/11 . The Battle of Long Island on 9/27 with Hofstra is immense !

UNHWildCats
July 1st, 2008, 09:33 PM

Agreed, it'll set the tone for the whole season.
Totally agree. If Toman leads UNH to a win or even a big offensive day and a close loss, the CAA will take notice that UNH is still here.

ElonPride
July 2nd, 2008, 07:49 AM
Richmond......could set the tone for the season.

OL FU
July 2nd, 2008, 07:52 AM
FURMAN...................WE GOTTAH GO DOWN DERE.......SHOW DUH PURPLE........DAT DEY SHOULD.......JOIN.........DUH BIG SOUFF......xlolx.......BRAWK/OBAMA!

I firmly believe that we will be remain undefeated against the wannabe Michigan teamxsmiley_wix :D

McNeese72
July 2nd, 2008, 07:56 AM
Probably for us it'll be 9/13 at Wyoming. The Cowboys fans haven't been showing much respect to us on their message board, even calling us a DII school at some points. Hopefully we'll show them on 9/13.

From being on every Div I-A (now FBS) messageboard of every FBS team we have played since we started playing them in 2000, that is standard for some of the dumbass FBS fans.

Doc

JaxSinfonian
July 2nd, 2008, 07:59 AM
The opener against Georgia Tech will be big. Not that we've got much of a chance of winning, but it's our first game in a big city where we have a lot of alumni, it's an easy trip for most JSU fans, and it'll be Perrilloux's debut for the Gamecocks, which will draw interest from much of the country. That's pretty big.

Now, big as in having implications for the postseason? That would be the Eastern Illinois and Eastern Kentucky games. Plus, which ever other OVC team becomes the surprise of the year (a la UT-Martin, APSU, Tenn. St.).

Killtoppers90
July 2nd, 2008, 08:16 AM
The opener against Georgia Tech will be big. Not that we've got much of a chance of winning, but it's our first game in a big city where we have a lot of alumni, it's an easy trip for most JSU fans, and it'll be Perrilloux's debut for the Gamecocks, which will draw interest from much of the country. That's pretty big.

I'll be there for that game. I've got friends who are Tech fans and since I live in the ATL, I'd love to see JSU play.

CSUBUCDAD
July 2nd, 2008, 11:20 AM
All the conference games and especially Coastal if the title is on the line.

JBB
July 2nd, 2008, 04:07 PM

It's our first year in FCS. We will be facing one of the top programs in FCS. Oh yeah, and they just stole our head coach.

Our game against UC Davis will also be a game that North Dakota fans will be keeping their eye on. It should be a good measuring stick for us as it is a team we will be facing every year in the Great West.

Thats a big game to be sure, but correct me if Im wrong. Isnt this the first year of transition. UND counts as a D2 for FCS teams? Youre not in until the transition is over, NDSU learned that with a couple of seasons that would have put us in the playoffs if we had been in the FCS and not transitional like you are now.

All of that aside good luck on your schedule. 10 games in the FCS is a tough road, especially with 2 weeks in a row off and Im not kidding. Thats going to be tough to come back from.

skinny_uncle
July 2nd, 2008, 04:29 PM

"stole" seems a bit harsh. We just offered him a better opportunity and he took us up on it.

JayJ79
July 2nd, 2008, 04:59 PM
"stole" seems a bit harsh. We just offered him a better opportunity and he took us up on it.

Just like Northern Illinois offered Coach Kill a better opportunity.

Pauly LB
July 2nd, 2008, 05:12 PM
For Cal Poly:

FCS: Montana (finally get them at home), McNeese State (can not wait for the tailgating) and UC Davis (conference rival).

Actually for Cal Poly I am going to take a bit of a different angle than slostang...

I believe that the most important game is the first game of the season against FBS San Diego State. A few reasons:

1) First of all Cal Poly beat San Diego State two years ago 16 - 14 in their stadium. The San Diego coach Chuck Long has been under much criticism in San Diego for the state of their program. There are already fans in San Diego that are saying that Chuck Long should be fired if they lose again to Cal Poly. Now, maybe that is true as certainly Chuck Long has not done a lot to turn their program around and he has also has NOT been very successful recruiting in his own home state.
2) San Diego State has been pointing toward the Cal Poly game on Aug 30th for payback PLUS during week two they travel to South Bend, Indiana to play Notre Dame. Although Notre Dame's program was down last year, they have to consider that playing San Diego State has to be a win for Charley Weiss's squad.
3) Cal Poly has to consider this a very winable game because of their outstanding offense and the relatively weak San Diego State defense. Cal Poly should be able to score against San Diego State BUT the Cal Poly defense MUST improve over last year's performance.
4) For Cal Poly games #2 and #3 are against relatively strong FCS teams -- Montana and McNeese State. The San Diego State game represents a HUGE opportunity for an FCS victory over FBS.

And it all starts exactly 8 weeks and two days from now...

slycat
July 2nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
cant say any game stick out in my mind. ive seen every team on our occ schedule (UNC, SUU, TSU, and Angelo St). I guess SMU will be fun since theres an outside chance at a win.

phoenix3
July 2nd, 2008, 07:04 PM
Over half our will be very important, App, UR, FU, El Cid... But, for me the most important one by far is Georgia Southern.

Proud Griz Man
July 2nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
For Cal Poly:

Finally? UM played at San Luis Obispo in 1999 and 2001.

slostang
July 2nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Finally? UM played at San Luis Obispo in 1999 and 2001.

Yes the Griz have been to SLO twice. I should have said finally get the Griz at home again. Unfortunately I missed the Griz both times they have traveled to SLO and I am really, really, really looking forward to both the Griz team and the great Griz fans coming to SLO. I have to return some of the great hospitality that I (and other Mustang fans) received the last three times I went to Missoula to see the Griz and Mustangs play. All three games where great games and I am expecting the same in 2008. I also looking forward to talking football over a couple of cold ones before the game with the one and only Proud Griz Man.xpeacex

ngineer
July 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Two thoughts for us. First, the Lafayette Game is always the biggest game on the schedule..Number 144 this year. However, in terms of a 'barometer' game that should tell us what direction we are going, our trip to Villanova on September 13 will be very big.

Go...gate
July 3rd, 2008, 07:36 PM
I think Fordham in NYC, followed by Furman in Hamilton.

Uncle Buck
July 4th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I think for HU they have to hope to come out of the UConn game healthy. With that said, the next three are winnable against Albany, URI and Stony Brook. Late in the season will be a tough stretch with Delaware, New Hampshire and Richmond.

This season will be a tall task for what i see as a young and undersized defense.

katstrapper
July 4th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Sam Houston @ Central Arkansas

McNeese St @ Sam Houston

Coach Whitten and staff are a combined 0-4 vs these two teams and Central Arkansas won twice in Huntsville. Whitten has to win these two games to have any chance at conference and I think keeping his job.

Maroons
July 4th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Biggest game in '08 for EKU? We play Cincinnati, who is expected to compete in the Big East... but really, it's not really a big game. They should beat us soundly at Nippert.

And the games against JSU and EIU will likely be the most important for the coaches as it will have the biggest impact on winning the OVC title and what is likely to be the lone bid to the playoffs. These will be the games that the whole season is game-planned for.

But I think the biggest game is against WKU. The Toppers come to Richmond for the final time in the foreseeable future and it will capture the most alumni interest this season (unless an unlikely victory over UC or national title occurrs). WKU will be the favorite, but it should not be a blowout. An EKU win would do a lot to whet the appetites of the EKU faithful for future meetings and perhaps grease the wallets for a push for FBS. Plus, it would be quite a statement for Dean Hood and could get the season off to a great start.

Proud Griz Man
July 4th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Yes the Griz have been to SLO twice. I should have said finally get the Griz at home again. Unfortunately I missed the Griz both times they have traveled to SLO and I am really, really, really looking forward to both the Griz team and the great Griz fans coming to SLO. I have to return some of the great hospitality that I (and other Mustang fans) received the last three times I went to Missoula to see the Griz and Mustangs play. All three games where great games and I am expecting the same in 2008. I also looking forward to talking football over a couple of cold ones before the game with the one and only Proud Griz Man.xpeacex

I plan on attending. xbeerchugx

CP is my second favorite FCS program. I am looking forward to seeing your remodeled, expanded Spanos Stadium. The Griz will have to play Really well to get a win on 9/06/08.

SloStang, I hope we will see you at Mother's for a cold one. xthumbsupx

http://www.motherstavern.com/images/photo_bar002.jpg

Cal Poly, EWU, Weber State, and the Bobcats will be very challenging games for Montana in 2008.

g-webb1994
July 4th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Sam Houston @ Central Arkansas

McNeese St @ Sam Houston

Coach Whitten and staff are a combined 0-4 vs these two teams and Central Arkansas won twice in Huntsville. Whitten has to win these two games to have any chance at conference and I think keeping his job.

I think September 27 will be interesting however.xthumbsupx

Hood
July 5th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Colonels don't play equal competition until October 4 against Northern Iowa so I feel that will set the tone for the rest of the season (considering we open up conference play the next week).

Granted a win over Memphis or New Mexico State could give momentum to the stratosphere, a stumble against lowly D2 Bowie State could kill morale.

Intriguing season for the SLC ahead.

Go Colonels!

Tealblood
July 5th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Biggest game for us will be at Penn State for the opener--our first big time payday game

Tealblood
July 5th, 2008, 10:18 AM
but for our season it will be when Liberty comes to Conway-Brooks stadium should determine the conf title

elonpuckhog
July 5th, 2008, 12:34 PM
As already mentioned, for Elon it will be hosting Richmond 7 weeks from today! I am excited about this matchup, and being able to attend this game.

BaylorTitan
July 5th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Central Arkansas: Tulsa & McNeese St.
Baylor: Iowa State & Texas A&M