PDA

View Full Version : West Virginia Opponent Preview: Villanova

Hoyadestroya85
June 30th, 2008, 05:32 PM
http://wvgazette.com/Sports/WVU/200806290380

pretty interesting take on Villanova from the Charleston Gazette

MR. CHICKEN
June 30th, 2008, 08:09 PM
'NOVA......IN SPANISH.....MEANS.........NO GO!!.......BRAWK/OBAMA!!

Hoyadestroya85
June 30th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I'm pretty sure it's Italian for 2 in a row.. as in wins over delaware

GannonFan
June 30th, 2008, 09:57 PM
or it means "haven't seen the playoffs in quite some time, that is, other than watching the Hens on TV". Amazing that Spanish can so densely capture such a long phrase, isn't it? xlolx xlolx xlolx

Hoyadestroya85
June 30th, 2008, 09:59 PM
or it means "haven't seen the playoffs in quite some time, that is, other than watching the Hens on TV". Amazing that Spanish can so densely capture such a long phrase, isn't it? xlolx xlolx xlolx
it's italian...
if it was Spanish it would be Villanueva
St. Thomas of Villanova was Italian.. therefore Villanova
And this year is the year that not only breaks the drought, Delaware won't be in
On another note.. name a Hen who is in the NFL making a big time difference.. (Flacco doesn't count) and don't name someone from the past

GannonFan
June 30th, 2008, 10:17 PM
it's italian...
And this year is the year that not only breaks the drought, Delaware won't be in
On another note.. name a Hen who is in the NFL making a big time difference.. (Flacco doesn't count) and don't name someone from the past

So you don't want to include the past, probably since Gannon's NFL MVP award just a few years ago would be problematic for you. And you don't want to include the future because the QB who just got picked in the middle of the first round would again, be problematic. And the "big time difference" comment is to exclude guys like Mike Adams who are solid role players, albeit not stars, in the NFL right now. Don't you want to include limitations like no guys who are over 6'0" and no guys under 5'11"? How about not counting guys who more than three vowels in their last name? Or people born on an even-numbered day? xlolx

DSUrocks07
June 30th, 2008, 10:17 PM
it's italian...

Don't you go and bring logic into this :D

its a good article, just realize that thanks to Appy, FCS teams aren't gonna sneak up on the FBS schools anytime soon, take it as a measure of respect from them

Smacking is so easy these days xrotatehx

Hoyadestroya85
July 1st, 2008, 02:45 PM
So you don't want to include the past, probably since Gannon's NFL MVP award just a few years ago would be problematic for you. And you don't want to include the future because the QB who just got picked in the middle of the first round would again, be problematic. And the "big time difference" comment is to exclude guys like Mike Adams who are solid role players, albeit not stars, in the NFL right now. Don't you want to include limitations like no guys who are over 6'0" and no guys under 5'11"? How about not counting guys who more than three vowels in their last name? Or people born on an even-numbered day? xlolx
If Gannon's MVP award would count, then Howie's Gold Jacket would as well..

bleedblue
July 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM
it's italian...

That's the difference between a winning football program and Nova. UD does not play and win to add up NFL players. We (UD, APP, GSU, Montana) play to add up National Championships. No disrespect to the Brian Westbrook's of the Nova world but it takes more than a couple all world players. I won't compare KC to Andy, at this point, but you also need a solid coaching/recruiting staff. We know who has the edge there in our schools history. Although you do have basketball. Enjoy your hoops!

Hoyadestroya85
July 1st, 2008, 03:01 PM
its a good article, just realize that thanks to Appy, FCS teams aren't gonna sneak up on the FBS schools anytime soon, take it as a measure of respect from them

I don't know though.. we run a spread offense, and our defense is very similar to theirs.. so our O may know the looks.. I think we just have to play really well on special teams...

Hoyadestroya85
July 1st, 2008, 03:02 PM
That's the difference between a winning football program and Nova. UD does not play and win to add up NFL players. We (UD, APP, GSU, Montana) play to add up National Championships. No disrespect to the Brian Westbrook's of the Nova world but it takes more than a couple all world players. I won't compare KC to Andy, at this point, but you also need a solid coaching/trashpicking staff. We know who has the edge there in our schools history. Although you do have basketball. Enjoy your hoops!

fixed it xthumbsupx

bleedblue
July 1st, 2008, 03:17 PM
fixed it xthumbsupx

Old smack. Nice try but it does not work anymore as Tubby and KC wave at you with bling on. B-Ball and acedemics after that you have nothing else.

Hoyadestroya85
July 1st, 2008, 03:52 PM
Old smack. Nice try but it does not work anymore as Tubby and KC wave at you with bling on. B-Ball and acedemics after that you have nothing else.

what bling does tubby have.. he didn't win a championship.. (unless you want to count division II)

DSUrocks07
July 1st, 2008, 04:12 PM
what bling does tubby have.. he didn't win a championship.. (unless you want to count division II)

Coming from a school that has how many championships again? xcoffeex

Hoyadestroya85
July 1st, 2008, 04:37 PM
Our football tradition is stronger than you may think.. we've won bowl games.. which are more prestigious than a division II championship

DSUrocks07
July 1st, 2008, 04:50 PM
Yes, "tradition" is the best word for it...

1937 Bacardi Bowl: Tied Auburn, 6-6
1947 Great Lakes Bowl: Lost to Kentucky, 27-7
1949 Harbor Bowl: Defeated Nevada, 27-7
1961 Sun Bowl: Defeated Wichita, 17-9
1962 Liberty Bowl: Lost to Oregon State, 6-0

Yup, a lotta tradition up there in 'Nova, twidling your thumbs for 46 years

Hoyadestroya85
July 1st, 2008, 04:56 PM
that's the equivalent of tubby's 1979 Division II championship.. it's more significant though, because villanova could have competed and won championships if they were division II

YoUDeeMan
July 1st, 2008, 09:13 PM
that's the equivalent of tubby's 1979 Division II championship.. it's more significant though, because villanova could have competed and won championships if they were division II

Uhhhh...check your history.

While UD was winning championships (by polls and on the field) and a bowl game xsmiley_wix and doing well in "small college" and DII football, UD was beating nova regularly...as in 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1979, 1980.

A guy named Tubby was at the helm. xwhistlex

Somewhere along the line, nova got so frustrated they dropped football. xlolx

bleedblue
July 1st, 2008, 11:57 PM
Uhhhh...check your history.

While UD was winning championships (by polls and on the field) and a bowl game xsmiley_wix and doing well in "small college" and DII football, UD was beating nova regularly...as in 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1979, 1980.
A guy named Tubby was at the helm. xwhistlex

Somewhere along the line, nova got so frustrated they dropped football. xlolx

Ouch! Speaking of Destorya. That destroys your argument.

Tribe4SF
July 2nd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Gentlemen....please!!!

This is too good a thread title to be moved to the smack board. I know it's UD-Villanova, but we're the CAA, not the SoCon!:D

93henfan
July 2nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
Villanova's total home attendance last season was 45,997, which would be a bad single-game crowd for WVU

xlolx xlolx xlolx

It would have been less than 40,000 if they didn't have a home game against Delaware.

putter
July 2nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
I had to laugh at this line in the article,

"are ranked 17th in something called the AnyGivenSaturday.com preseason poll"

what, they have never heard of AGS? xlolx

Hoyadestroya85
July 2nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
I had to laugh at this line in the article,

"are ranked 17th in something called the AnyGivenSaturday.com preseason poll"

what, they have never heard of AGS? xlolx

that was one of the reasons i posted it.. and somebody (UD people) had to hijack it and turn it into an argument... I'm looking forward to win number 3 of 3

Tribe4SF
July 2nd, 2008, 05:00 PM
that was one of the reasons i posted it.. and somebody (UD people) had to hijack it and turn it into an argument... I'm looking forward to win number 3 of 3

Yeah, but you leaped out of the water like a hungry bass to take the bait from Mr. Chicken!xeyebrowx xpeacex

Hoyadestroya85
July 2nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
i won't dispute that.. but i feel i have to hold my ground.. i'm one vs. 50