PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern at Appalachian State

JMU Duke Dog
October 15th, 2005, 03:34 PM
I am surprised no one had started a thread on this game...

Appalachian State 17
Georgia Southern 0

4:05 left in the 2nd

DotCat
October 15th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I am surprised no one had started a thread on this game...

Appalachian State 17
Georgia Southern 0

4:05 left in the 2nd

17-0 @ the half. Beautiful interception and return by GSU from the endzone to stop ASU as time expired.

GSU hasn't been shutout of a game since 1995 which was at the hands of Montana.

lugo02
October 15th, 2005, 04:29 PM
App 24 GSU 0 late 3rd Qtr

DotCat
October 15th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Not sure what has happened to GSU offense today? Not what they "threw" against WCU a week ago.

TexasTerror
October 15th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Those GA Southern folks were mad at me for not giving them any love in my AGS Poll. And now we're seeing why. I always felt they were over-rated and losing this bad at home is not what I think they were thinking...

JMU Duke Dog
October 15th, 2005, 05:02 PM
this bad at home is not what I think they were thinking...

The game is in Boone, NC not Statesboro, GA.

JMU Duke Dog
October 15th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Appalachian State 24
Georgia Southern 7

8:16 left in the 4th

eaglesrthe1
October 15th, 2005, 05:25 PM
24-7 final, with ASU taking a knee deep in GSU territory to keep it from looking even worse. Total domination by ASU, a man-handling in every phase of the game.

With the 1st int, the GSU coaching staff just pulled themselves into a shell with the playcalling. On defense, the Eagles were just pushed all over the field. Much worse than the score. :(

The playoffs are looking like a long shot at best. At least 3 of the last 4 games are in Statesboro, but it will take some decisive W's to regain some credibility for the committee to see fit to give them an at-large.

blueballs
October 15th, 2005, 06:04 PM
GSU lost to a better team today which from where I sit here in sunny Central FL makes this officially a rebuilding year for GSU. The team has barely an outside shot at the playoffs and no shot at the conference crown at this point. In no way to they deserved to be ranked in any top 25 poll.

The key issue will be if the young players in key roles learn from this embarrassment and improve. What I saw today is NOT GSU football, where WE are the aggressors, where WE are the most physical, where WE have a bad case of the wants, where WE show the heart of a champion.

When you play good or even great (not saying ASU's great) team on the road there is NO margin for error and every man has to bring it with full intensity every play. That didn't happen today. App outhustled us, they wanted it more, they were more physical, they had more weapons, they were better. They came to whip our tails and did it.

As of this moment I only see one guaranteed win left on the schedule and this team's fate will MOL be decided by that last game. I didn't see the last three games so perhaps I'm in no real position to say this BUT this team hasn't improved very much from week 2.

I feel terribly sorry for some of the seniors because this isn't how they wanted to go out, but they just as much as the coaching staff are responsible for the culture and personality of a team. Right now this team isn't close to being at the level of the GSU teams over the past decade, and that lays at their feet as senior leaders. They were handed a championship legacy and somewhere along the way lost it.

I hope every man in that locker room after this embarrassment, from the waterboy to the head coach, takes a real hard look inside themselves and each other and honestly assesses what the state of their program is at this point. I'll be interested to see what kind of pride this group exhibits going forward, because it wasn't there today. I can't really remember thinking after a game that another team wanted it more than GSU, but I feel that way today.

Champions bring it every play every day, in practice, in class, in film study, in the weightroom, at the training table, and rise to the occasion- especially in big conference games. They pay attention to detail, are prepared to play every day, can handle adversity, and hate losing more than they like winning. I haven't seen this from our team this year.

It hurts to be an Eagle right now. I challenge every man in that locker room to nut up and regain the aura of GSU of old, where undersized, undertalented, overmatched kids beat all the odds and won in any situation because they wanted it the most and they had the most heart. THAT is what wins championships. We aren't a championship team right now.

I salute and congratulate the entire ASU program. They gave our program a lesson today in preparation, desire, effort, execution, and pride. I hope the lesson sticks and we grow from it.

ButlerGSU
October 15th, 2005, 06:53 PM
My hats are off to ASU, clearly they wanted it more and were better prepared for todays game. I have to question several of Sewaks calls during the game.

I look for heads to roll at GSU...

asu70
October 15th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Hey Texas Terror, do you think that maybe ASU might be a little better than you AGS pollsters think? It wouldn't surprise me if this GSU team runs the table on the rest of their schedule. If they do, they could make the playoff and they would be a dangerous game for anybody. ASU had their A game on today at "The Rock" and anybody in 1AA would have a very hard time beating App in that situation.

windwalker
October 15th, 2005, 10:45 PM
As it looks, Anyone would have trouble winning at the Rock. If ASU could have all home games.. They may be unstoppable.

Good win for ASU.

pete4256
October 16th, 2005, 01:26 AM
ASU had their A game on today at "The Rock" and anybody in 1AA would have a very hard time beating App in that situation.

Yep, from where I was standing in "The Rock," nobody could have beaten ASU today, though we certainly played pretty horribly. Even had Foster been his usual "special" self, we would've had trouble matching that offense.

The 1999 team we had was in my mind the most dominant I-AA team of all time. But it also lost in Boone. It happens.

People give GSU fans a hard time because when we lose we always blame turnovers and/or weather. This time I can say that we just got beat. I didn't think anyone could hold us to 7 with just one turnover. Only in Boone, I guess.

The season's still not over, and I have trouble thinking that GSU's last three wins were flukes. We can still win out, especially considering that our game with FU is at home, where the purps play worse than GSU does in Boone. SDSU in the snow looks possibly more daunting. Citadel always plays us tough. I have no comment on Morehead State, though rumor has it they played ASU close at some recent point.

GSU could still finish in a three-way tie for first in the conference, in which case I have no idea who'd get the automatic bid. I don't have the tie-breaker straight if the three top teams have beaten each other. Who got the auto-bid in 1999?

Oh, and one last thing, Rchie Williams gets my endorsement for the Payton Award. He has really matured as a football player. I don't know that it gets better in our division this year than him.

walliver
October 16th, 2005, 06:46 AM
The Socon tie-breaking procedure from http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=169392&SPID=1781&SPSID=21895

Tiebreaker Procedure: In breaking a tie in the standings, the SoCon uses the same procedure for all sports . . . In the case of a two-way tie, the first tiebreaker is head to head competition . . . In the case of a three-way tie, the first priority would be take take each team's record against the other teams involved in a tie . . . If one team has a 2-0 record against the other two tied teams, it would win the tiebreaker . . . For example, if teams A, B, and C are all tied, examine how each fared against the other . . . If A is 2-0 against B and C while B and C are 1-1, then A wins the tiebreaker . . . If A and B are both 2-0 and C is 1-1, then C is eliminated and the tie between A and B is broken as if it were a two-way tie . . . If A, B and C are all 1-1 against each other, the next tiebreaker is against the highest seeded team not involved in the tie . . . Examine how each team fared against the fourth-place team in the league . . . If that does not break the tie, then the fifth-place team becomes the next tiebreaker, down the line until the tie is broken . . . If that does not break the tie, a blind draw will determine the higher seeded team.

asu70
October 16th, 2005, 07:18 AM
So in the AGS poll, with all the respect that ASU has been getting, where do we move up to # 18? With all due respect to the defending NC, they have 2 L's on the road to CCU and UMASS, and it wouldn't surprise me that they stay in the top ten. ASU has 2 L's on the road to Kansas and FU by 3 with a no contest from start to finish against the CCU team that beat JMU, and the Apps more than likely will not get a sniff of the top ten from the AGS pollsters! My question to the AGS pollsters is WHY!

Sam Adams
October 16th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Dominating performance from Appy State. GSU has not seemed to have clicked all year, they have not gotten better as the season has progressed and if you want to be a good team you must get better each week.

rokamortis
October 16th, 2005, 09:06 AM
So in the AGS poll, with all the respect that ASU has been getting, where do we move up to # 18? With all due respect to the defending NC, they have 2 L's on the road to CCU and UMASS, and it wouldn't surprise me that they stay in the top ten. ASU has 2 L's on the road to Kansas and FU by 3 with a no contest from start to finish against the CCU team that beat JMU, and the Apps more than likely will not get a sniff of the top ten from the AGS pollsters! My question to the AGS pollsters is WHY!

The AGS poll has been showing ASU the most love. All of the top ten losses coupled with a big win of Georgia Southern I'm sure ASU will move up a good bit. They are in my top ten this week and were just outside last week.

tarmac
October 16th, 2005, 09:32 AM
21,486 in attendance. gsu brought a good crowd.

blueballs
October 16th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Dominating performance from Appy State. GSU has not seemed to have clicked all year, they have not gotten better as the season has progressed and if you want to be a good team you must get better each week.

Good analysis.

asu70
October 16th, 2005, 11:17 AM
GSU has always traveled well and out of yesterdays crowd they had at least 6 or 7 hundred in the 21,486 in attendance. When they have something to cheer about, they can also make a lot of noise.

asu70
October 16th, 2005, 11:23 AM
Rockamortis, if you would, please explain how " the AGS poll has been showin ASU the most love".

rokamortis
October 16th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Rockamortis, if you would, please explain how " the AGS poll has been showin ASU the most love".

Ok - it is very easy. As you can see by the below numbers - the AGS poll has ranked ASU higher than the other polls each and every week.

AGS TSN ESPN
10/10 15 19 19
10/3 13 16 16
9/26 15 17 20
9/19 15 22 22
9/12 29 30 32
9/5 23 25 NA
Pre 23 27 31

asu70
October 16th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Rockamortis, if you read the above, you'll see that I'm not asking for a comparison between 1AA polls. If you think that I'm trying to disrespect another team, I'm not. If you want to answer my question fine, if not that's ok too.

rokamortis
October 16th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Rockamortis, if you read the above, you'll see that I'm not asking for a comparison between 1AA polls. If you think that I'm trying to disrespect another team, I'm not.

I read what you wrote. You were complaining about the AGS poll. I told you that the AGS poll was showing ASU the most respect and you wanted me to explain. So I was showing you that out of the 3 polls that the AGS poll had you ranked the highest.

asu70
October 16th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Rockamortis, thanks for your explanation in comparison of polls.

Kill'em
October 16th, 2005, 12:53 PM
The tail whipping still hurts.

Just remember, App. St goes back to "OUR HOUSE" next year. They've struggled there like we've struggled in Boone.

asu70
October 16th, 2005, 01:02 PM
The tail whipping still hurts.

Just remember, App. St goes back to "OUR HOUSE" next year. They've struggled there like we've struggled in Boone.
You are so correct Sir! Statesboro is a very tough place to visit and I've only witness one ASU win there in all these years.

Saint3333
October 16th, 2005, 01:51 PM
This team has come a long way since the 54-7 beating in Statesboro last year. Moore showed a lot of class at the end of the game, it could have been worse. Great crowd and that's why ASU was in the top 5 of 1-AA fans earlier this year. I'd look for 25K at homecoming.

Maybe once ASU gets their new stadium we can move the national championship to Boone and ASU can finally win it all.

There's something special about Richie and of course "The Rock" is one of the top five most difficult venues in 1-AA. Let's not worry about the polls just win the rest of the conference games and the rest will take care of itself.

SoCon48
October 17th, 2005, 06:11 AM
GSU has always traveled well and out of yesterdays crowd they had at least 6 or 7 hundred in the 21,486 in attendance. When they have something to cheer about, they can also make a lot of noise.

Looking at the "visitor's side, I was very disappointed in the empy seats in their area. It's a long way from Statesboro, but they sure didn't "travel well" Saturday. Coastal brought at least twice as many.

pete4256
October 17th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Looking at the "visitor's side, I was very disappointed in the empy seats in their area. It's a long way from Statesboro, but they sure didn't "travel well" Saturday. Coastal brought at least twice as many.

It didn't seem to me that we traveled as well Saturday as we did in 2001 & 2003.

AppGuy04
October 17th, 2005, 08:47 AM
It didn't seem to me that we traveled as well Saturday as we did in 2001 & 2003.

man, there were ASU fans on the side closest to the grass