PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Picking Up Big Time Recruits

SuperJon
June 29th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Liberty's picking up some big time recruits. We've already got a few verbals for the 2009 season and these are from guys who were getting offers from some major programs.

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/Camper/PHOTO/PATMAYS7N08150.JPG
Pat Mays
6' 2" 275 lb Defensive Tackle
Albany (GA) Sherwood Christian Academy

Schools interested as of 6/26/08:

Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
Liberty
Midd Tenn St
South Carolina

"A lot of schools," says Mays. "A lot of great schools. People look at me and say, 'Man, you're crazy for going to Liberty,' but I'm doing it because I think that's where God is sending me to go."

"It was pretty easy because Liberty's got the best weight room in the nation, they got the best football facility ever, and they got a ton of guys in the NFL, that's what I'm looking for," says Mays. "Plus, it's a great atmosphere to be around, and the coach is great."
http://www.walb.com/Global/story.asp?S=8572272&nav=menu37_4

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/Camper/PHOTO/DEMETRIUSWARDJD150.JPG
Demetrius Ward

Linebacker?
Hampton (VA) Phoebus

Ht: 6 feet, 3 inches
Wt: 210 lbs
Forty: 4.49 secs

College Choices:
Liberty (solid verbal)
Alabama
North Carolina
N.C. State
N.C. State
Oregon
Purdue
Virginia Tech
Kent State

Phoebus coach Bill Dee said he spoke with LU assistant Chad Wilt, who said Ward was playing linebacker this week in camp.

"Some schools, like Kent State, were looking at Demetrius as an H-back," Dee said. "But (the Flames) are going to play him on defense. He's really developed as an athlete. He's got the ability."

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt_phoebuscommit_0425jun25,0,3210376.story

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f299/bigboi1129/Hawks/chauncey-2-1.jpg
SirChauncey Holloway
5' 8" 190 lb Running Back
Seffner (FL) Armwood HS
Transferred from Plant City (FL) HS

On Tuesday, Holloway verbally committed to Liberty, a Football Championship Subdivision program (formerly Division I-AA) that had extended a scholarship offer last week.

“I’m very happy,” Holloway said. “I can’t wait to get up there.”
http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/story/holloway-commits-to-liberty/

slostang
June 29th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Look like some great recruits.

I can not remember Cal Poly ever getting a commitment prior to the players senior season. Sounds like your coaches are doing a great job of selling their program.

813Jag
June 29th, 2008, 01:27 PM
http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/story/holloway-commits-to-liberty/
Holloway put up good numbers last season on a playoff team. He would have put up even better numbers at Armwood (state title contender) if he was able to play this season. Good pick up for the Flames.

SuperJon
June 29th, 2008, 01:30 PM
You were the one that turned us on to him.

We've also got a commit from a guy right outside of Philly but I can't find much on him.

Four verbals and we're not even to July yet. That's not bad.

Monarch History
June 29th, 2008, 03:19 PM
It really looks like LU have gotten some great recruits for the future. I hope ODU adds the Flames on our schedule in the future.

I'm hoping to stop and watch the Elon game on November 22, 2008 on my way to visit family in Salem. That should be a great matchup.xnodx

Lionsrking
June 29th, 2008, 03:33 PM
You were the one that turned us on to him.

We've also got a commit from a guy right outside of Philly but I can't find much on him.

Four verbals and we're not even to July yet. That's not bad.

If these kids are in demand further up the recruiting chain, you can bet they will get hammered from now until signing day. Probably not a good idea for them to go public.

JohnStOnge
June 29th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Some realisim is needed here. It's very unlikely, for instance, that a 6'2", 275 pound defensive tackle would really be coveted by Alabama, Auburn, and Georgia. And it's even more unlikely that such a defensive tackle would commit to Liberty or any other FCS school if Alabama, Auburn, and Georgia were telling him he had a realistic chance to go to any of those schools on a football scholarship.

Lionsrking
June 29th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Some realisim is needed here. It's very unlikely, for instance, that a 6'2", 275 pound defensive tackle would really be coveted by Alabama, Auburn, and Georgia. And it's even more unlikely that such a defensive tackle would commit to Liberty or any other FCS school if Alabama, Auburn, and Georgia were telling him he had a realistic chance to go to any of those schools on a football scholarship.

I would say you're right 99% of the time, but there are kids drawn to certain schools for religious reasons. That may or may not be the case with these individuals but it's certainly a possibility.

gophoenix
June 29th, 2008, 07:15 PM

That is absolutely not true. A lot of players like being the big fish in a little pond.

On top of the kids who go to some schools for the same reasons we went to our schools when we could have gone to FBS type schools. There are niche draws, especially to the private schools, some of the publics, and especially the military and stringent christian schools (ie Liberty/Campbell)

ToTheLeft
June 29th, 2008, 08:26 PM
I would say you're right 99% of the time, but there are kids drawn to certain schools for religious reasons. That may or may not be the case with these individuals but it's certainly a possibility.

Yup, the DT, Mays, is quoted as saying "People call me crazy, but that's where God is calling me to go."

Now THAT'S a verbal. :P

Seriously tho, Chapel isn't every day, just 3 times a week. And dress code isn't that bad anymore. :P

bodoyle
June 29th, 2008, 08:38 PM
SJ: does this mean you can be added to the convo of trying to leave the BSC?

SuperJon
June 30th, 2008, 07:39 AM
SJ: does this mean you can be added to the convo of trying to leave the BSC?

Not anytime soon. It'd be relatively stupid to try and leave now. We're getting an auto-bid soon and that was the only reason to leave before now. I know the ultimate goal is to go FBS but the AD has said we have to be successful at the FCS level before we could even consider going to the FBS level.

Like Lefty said, this kid wanted to come to Liberty because of the Christian aspect of the school. He also transferred to a private Christian high school for his senior season. As for was he really being pursued by the big schools - I can't say with 100% certainty. However, I do know his dad played at Georgia Tech, the Georgia message boards were saying that those schools were there recruiting him, and his verbal was a big enough deal that the local news station announced it on the news over the weekend.

The funny thing is when people doubt Liberty because of what they think the rules are here and how they think student life is.

soweagle
June 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Look like some great recruits.

I can not remember Cal Poly ever getting a commitment prior to the players senior season. Sounds like your coaches are doing a great job of selling their program.

Recruiting has changed over the last few years. I wouldn't be surprised if Cal Poly already has some commits for next year that you might not have heard about.

JohnStOnge
June 30th, 2008, 05:50 PM
That is absolutely not true. A lot of players like being the big fish in a little pond.(ie Liberty/Campbell)

It is true. If you think it isn't really, really rare for a kid to pass up going to a school like Georgia if that school really wants him in order to go to an East Carolina or Southern Mississippi much less a FCS school, you're kidding yourself.

I picked the defensive tackle for a reason. 6'2", 275 pounds is small for a BCS league defensive tackle recruit.

Lionsrking
June 30th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I picked the defensive tackle for a reason. 6'2", 275 pounds is small for a BCS league defensive tackle recruit.

It is unless the guy is a truly special player, which would make it all the more unlikely he would choose Liberty over BCS offers. But as I stated earlier, it's not surprising a kid would choose a school for academic or religious reasons.

Andy
June 30th, 2008, 09:56 PM
from Penn Football News '09 signing list:

Liberty:

Eric Faith - TE/LB - 6-3 - 235 - Quakertown

with that last name.......

redflash2
June 30th, 2008, 11:26 PM
These kids must be of the christian faith, because they know full well going into this school the very stringent guide lines, No parties, girls in there rooms, no drinking, drugs etc.Chapel every day, clothing guidlines...God bless them.

WOW that's a pretty boring university!!!!!xsmhx xnonox

MplsBison
July 1st, 2008, 06:34 AM
"People look at me and say, 'Man, you're crazy for going to Liberty,' but I'm doing it because I think that's where God is sending me to go."

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

I guess "Dr." Fallwell's scam is still working post mortem.

Sly Fox
July 1st, 2008, 09:42 AM
The kid's last name is actually Fath but I appreciate the attempt at humor nonetheless based on the faulty info.

And it is good to see Bison remains as bigoted these days as always. ;)

MplsBison
July 1st, 2008, 11:33 AM
Christians continually attempt to influence and supress the freedoms that citizens of the US were born with, yet we're the bigots?

SuperJon
July 1st, 2008, 04:30 PM
WOW that's a pretty boring university!!!!!xsmhx xnonox

Except we offer more for our students to do than most secular universities.

AppMan
July 1st, 2008, 07:03 PM
Christians continually attempt to influence and supress the freedoms that citizens of the US were born with, yet we're the bigots?

You’ve got to be kidding! If anyone is being portrayed as bigots it is the Christians of this nation. Liberal judges no longer interpret the Constitution, but legislate from the bench, are suppressing the rights of Christians to practice their faith as they have since this nation was formed. No more religious displays in the town square, no prayer in public schools or before athletic events, substituting winter and spring break for Christmas and Easter holidays. It’s even gone so far as some school systems no longer allow the Pledge of Allegiance because the words "under God" may offend someone. Some towns won’t allow people attending church to park on the city streets, play music or bells from their steeples because it might disturb someone. Once upon a time people wanted to live in a community near a church. Now the churches are being forced out of town, so they don’t have to put up with the crowds a couple days per week. I think it is time we change the name of our nation to the United States of the Offended.

Lionsrking
July 1st, 2008, 08:20 PM
You’ve got to be kidding! If anyone is being portrayed as bigots it is the Christians of this nation. Liberal judges no longer interpret the Constitution, but legislate from the bench, are suppressing the rights of Christians to practice their faith as they have since this nation was formed. No more religious displays in the town square, no prayer in public schools or before athletic events, substituting winter and spring break for Christmas and Easter holidays. It’s even gone so far as some school systems no longer allow the Pledge of Allegiance because the words "under God" may offend someone. Some towns won’t allow people attending church to park on the city streets, play music or bells from their steeples because it might disturb someone. Once upon a time people wanted to live in a community near a church. Now the churches are being forced out of town, so they don’t have to put up with the crowds a couple days per week. I think it is time we change the name of our nation to the United States of the Offended.

Please cite just one case in the history of US jurisprudence where a judges ruling suppressed the rights of christians to practice their faith. Keeping religion out of the town square and out of public schools is not suppression. It's protecting the rights of those who don't believe as you do from having it forced down their throats, 24-7, in a captive environment. I'm sure you wouldn't want class stopped everyday so your kids can partake in a Wiccan ceremony or a Satanic ritual...and I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate a life-size statue of Buddha on the steps of the county courthouse.

You have every right to assemble with like-minded individuals who believe as you do, and you have every right to attend the church of of your choice on whichever day you choose. You have the right to celebrate Christmas, Easter, St. Joseph's Day, All Saints Day...you name it. But you don't have the right to force-feed your beliefs to those who don't share your views.

TheBisonator
July 1st, 2008, 08:26 PM
Please cite just one case in the history of US jurisprudence where a judges ruling suppressed the rights of christians to practice their faith. Keeping religion out of the town square and out of public schools is not suppression. It's protecting the rights of those who don't believe as you do from having it forced down their throats, 24-7, in a captive environment. I'm sure you wouldn't want class stopped everyday so your kids can partake in a Wiccan ceremony or a Satanic ritual...and I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate a life-size statue of Buddha on the steps of the county courthouse.

You have every right to assemble with like-minded individuals who believe as you do, and you have every right to attend the church of of your choice on whichever day you choose. You have the right to celebrate Christmas, Easter, St. Joseph's Day, All Saints Day...you name it. But you don't have the right to force-feed your beliefs to those who don't share your views.

I agree 275 percent with this post. You just got repped, my friend.

Lionsrking
July 1st, 2008, 08:31 PM
I agree 275 percent with this post. You just got repped, my friend.

Only 275%??? xlolxxlolxxlolx

Seawolf97
July 1st, 2008, 09:19 PM
Only 275%??? xlolxxlolxxlolx

Good points - just repped ya!

SuperJon
July 2nd, 2008, 09:09 AM
Hey, another thread about Liberty football gets taken over by a bunch of jerks who want to argue about stuff that doesn't matter. Good job guys. Way to increase the stereotypical response when the word Liberty is said. God forbid we actually talk about football.

MplsBison
July 2nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
Hey, another thread about Liberty football gets taken over by a bunch of jerks who want to argue about stuff that doesn't matter. Good job guys. Way to increase the stereotypical response when the word Liberty is said. God forbid we actually talk about football.

Yep, you had nothing to do with it:

Except we offer more for our students to do than most secular universities.

xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

Tribe4SF
July 2nd, 2008, 10:18 AM

While I understand your frustration, the quotes in the first post kind of set this up. In fact, the mission of the school, right down to how players interact with opponents, makes religion a daily topic. You folks know well that if you make your faith a public statement, not all reactions will be positive. You also know that many people viewed Jerry as the ultimate snake oil salesman, who successfully imposed his views on a great many people. You can't expect to limit reaction on here when folks are claiming God sent them to Liberty to play football.

SuperJon
July 2nd, 2008, 10:25 AM
At least talk about the statement. Or the school. Not who is more of a bigot than who. Yes, I said something to defend my school when someone attacked it. I didn't get into the religion debate. I didn't get into all of the other stuff. A Mormon kid going to BYU on a football scholarship over other schools doesn't get the same reaction as a Christian kid choosing Liberty. Talk football. Talk the matter at hand. Save the other stuff for off topic or politics threads.

andy7171
July 2nd, 2008, 10:31 AM
While I understand your frustration, the quotes in the first post kind of set this up. In fact, the mission of the school, right down to how players interact with opponents, makes religion a daily topic. You folks know well that if you make your faith a public statement, not all reactions will be positive. You also know that many people viewed Jerry as the ultimate snake oil salesman, who successfully imposed his views on a great many people. You can't expect to limit reaction on here when folks are claiming God sent them to Liberty to play football.
Big witness to that! Those guys were jerks! I was told they no longer do that kind of thing though.

Tribe4SF
July 2nd, 2008, 10:33 AM
And SlyFox introduced the word "bigoted".

SuperJon
July 2nd, 2008, 10:38 AM
And he's just as bad as everyone else. If I wanted to talk about the crap that he started, I'd go hang out on the fundy boards. Instead, I wanted to talk football, specifically FCS football, so I came to AGS. Go figure.

redflash2
July 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
Thats why they choose to go there, they would rather honor God than party.:)

Nothing wrong with that...xnodx

MplsBison
July 2nd, 2008, 12:57 PM
At least talk about the statement. Or the school. Not who is more of a bigot than who. Yes, I said something to defend my school when someone attacked it. I didn't get into the religion debate. I didn't get into all of the other stuff. A Mormon kid going to BYU on a football scholarship over other schools doesn't get the same reaction as a Christian kid choosing Liberty. Talk football. Talk the matter at hand. Save the other stuff for off topic or politics threads.

That's because Brigham Young wasn't a scam artist on TV, using people's faith to steal millions from his victims.

The fact that a university, a place of learning for crying out loud, still stands in his name is an abomination to the entire United States and organized faith worldwide.

Liberty should be forced to publically denounce Falwall or be burned to f***ing ground.

andy7171
July 2nd, 2008, 12:59 PM
Liberty should be forced to publically denounce Falwall or be burned to f***ing ground.

Where is TexasTerror? I think we have a new one for the list!

813Jag
July 2nd, 2008, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by MplsBison
This guy is always good for a quote when he posts. xlolx

mebisonII
July 2nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
It never hurts to remind the readers that Bison fans as a whole distance themselves from MplsBison. Please don't hold his comments against us!!

813Jag
July 2nd, 2008, 01:23 PM
It never hurts to remind the readers that Bison fans as a whole distance themselves from MplsBison. Please don't hold his comments against us!!
We don't, most schools have a poster similar to him. But I don't think anybody tops him.

lizrdgizrd
July 2nd, 2008, 01:32 PM
That's because Brigham Young wasn't a scam artist on TV, using people's faith to steal millions from his victims.

To be fair, TV hadn't yet been invented in BY's day. He could have been a very successful televangelist. xpeacex

813Jag
July 2nd, 2008, 01:44 PM
To be fair, TV hadn't yet been invented in BY's day. He could have been a very successful televangelist. xpeacex
Don't bring logic in to this statement.

lizrdgizrd
July 2nd, 2008, 01:49 PM
Don't bring logic in to this statement.
Oops, I missed the part where it was MPLS posting. :o xlolx

Sly Fox
July 2nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Please forgive my attempt at humor at Bison's expense. We've been through this discussion a number of times and I wrongly assumed everyone would get the joke. Sadly that did not occur.

As for our four verbals before camp opens, I believe this is a first for our program. But it is further evidence of how recruiting continues to change that most BCS programs are close to full already and things are settling in before senior season starts. I believe that leads to a golden opportunity for FCS programs to close the gap on late bloomers.

MplsBison
July 2nd, 2008, 03:38 PM
Esp. when Liberty coaches are telling recruits that they will burn in hell if they go to a public school!

Damned heathens drinkin' the alcohol and stickin' their wangers into women they ain't even married to!!!!

TexasTerror
July 2nd, 2008, 04:42 PM

I'm no longer "able" to post satirical stories directed at an individual. :(

813Jag
July 3rd, 2008, 04:18 AM
I'm no longer "able" to post satirical stories directed at an individual. :(
What? xconfusedx xeekx

chantster
July 3rd, 2008, 06:38 AM
Okay, back to the topic at hand.

One of the best RB in South Carolina has been offered by Liberty, and sources say he will accept.

He is only 5'7, has legit 4.4 speed. Very quick and powerful back at 180 lbs.

In three years, has already gained over 5000 yds, with 60 TDs.

Has a neat name, too. Meet Rockarius King.

Rockarius King (http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=3112606)

MplsBison
July 3rd, 2008, 06:42 AM
What? xconfusedx xeekx

Don't look at me, I thought they were funny as hell.

Syntax Error
July 3rd, 2008, 07:33 AM
Okay, back to the topic at hand.

One of the best RB in South Carolina has been offered by Liberty, and sources say he will accept.

He is only 5'7, has legit 4.4 speed. Very quick and powerful back at 180 lbs.

In three years, has already gained over 5000 yds, with 60 TDs.

Has a neat name, too. Meet Rockarius King.

Rockarius King (http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=3112606)Rockarius Rockarius
Rock me Rockarius

Sly Fox
July 3rd, 2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the heads up, Chantster.

I wonder if his parents were Elvis fans?

laxVik
July 4th, 2008, 08:15 AM
These kids must be of the christian faith, because they know full well going into this school the very stringent guide lines, No parties, girls in there rooms, no drinking, drugs etc.Chapel every day, clothing guidlines...God bless them.
Especially seeing how the uni was started by a bigot.

Sly Fox
July 4th, 2008, 08:46 AM
So somebody else gets the humor of the thread.

I love the irony.

laxVik
July 4th, 2008, 08:26 PM
It was started by a man who loves Jesus Christ,and the souls of the lost. Puh-leeze.

laxVik
July 4th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Thank God the liberal profs are retiring and or dying off.How Christian of you.

SuperJon
July 4th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Liberty football.

Just reminding you.

MplsBison
July 5th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I don't hate God.

I hate people who try to rub their religion in my face and act as if not belonging to an organization of believers is some sort of sin and then try to restrict my freedoms according to their stupid beliefs.

Tealblood
July 5th, 2008, 10:14 AM
how bout just go pick up some non-conf wins and help the conf RPI

SuperJon
July 5th, 2008, 10:16 AM
We plan on it, and we've got four chances at it this year.

Although the conference RPI doesn't really matter. With CSU and VMI, we're not getting above 8th, maybe 7th.

SuperJon
July 5th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks Jon, but every time a thread comes out about Liberty, some God hating liberal has to make a derogatory statement.

Well they better get used to threads about Liberty. This is the year we should finally start turning some heads.

laxVik
July 5th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks Jon, but every time a thread comes out about Liberty, some God hating liberal has to make a derogatory statement.Wow. God hating liberal. Nice to see you have your head in the sand in regards to Falwell. Not surprised in the least. Supporting Liberty fb, the players and students is one thing. Supporting the bigot Falwell is COMPLETELY different. Educate yourself.

Tealblood
July 5th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I think the funny part is almost every college or uni was
a) started by a church or
b) started as a teachers college

laxVik
July 5th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I think the funny part is almost every college or uni was
a) started by a church or
b) started as a teachers college
Well good for us that Bob Jones Uni doesn't have a fb team.

Sly Fox
July 5th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Dude, what is with your fixation? Get over yourself and talk some football.

Incidentally the irony continues.

bjtheflamesfan
July 5th, 2008, 10:34 AM
As polarizing of a figure as Jerry Falwell was (and as a Liberty student I do know that he said more than his fair share of things in public which were not very well received), what I respected the most about him was the fact that he was willing to stand by what he believed in no matter what anyone said.

To guys like laxVik and Mpls, I know you have your opinions of Dr Falwell (and of Liberty) and you are certainly entitled to them, but that does not mean that whenever a discussion about Liberty comes up, you should turn it into a venue for personal attacks. Why dont you coem to Lynchburg at some point and meet some of the students at Liberty. Yes there are rules about alcohol and sex outside of marriage (and other things but those are the ones that came up), but if you took the time to sit down with some of the kids, youll find them to be very loving of people (with some exceptions Im sure) even if they disagree with the things you may do.

h5322rsh
July 5th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks Jon, but every time a thread comes out about Liberty, some God hating liberal has to make a derogatory statement.

I guess politically I am a liberal, but I don't hate God, I suppose I pray to the same one that the folks at Liberty pray to.xlolx I still chuckle when I think of the Larry Flynt characterization of Liberty's founder Jerry Falwell that was done in his magazine years ago. How he can call himself a Christian and pick old people pockets at the same time? I guess thats how he have a Liberty University. Good luck to the Flames.

laxVik
July 5th, 2008, 11:27 AM
As polarizing of a figure as Jerry Falwell was (and as a Liberty student I do know that he said more than his fair share of things in public which were not very well received), what I respected the most about him was the fact that he was willing to stand by what he believed in no matter what anyone said.

To guys like laxVik and Mpls, I know you have your opinions of Dr Falwell (and of Liberty) and you are certainly entitled to them, but that does not mean that whenever a discussion about Liberty comes up, you should turn it into a venue for personal attacks. Why dont you coem to Lynchburg at some point and meet some of the students at Liberty. Yes there are rules about alcohol and sex outside of marriage (and other things but those are the ones that came up), but if you took the time to sit down with some of the kids, youll find them to be very loving of people (with some exceptions Im sure) even if they disagree with the things you may do.This has nothing to do with bashing a Christian Uni. I went to one - LMU. This is about a bigot and hate monger. One that likened 9/11 and troop deaths to homosexuals. You'd get the same reaction from me if David Duke started a Uni and called it Anglo Uni, home of the Crusaders. You're not going to get a free get out of jail card simply because of the great student body (I'm sure they are great. But they certainly should do some research on the man that started the uni). Unless blinders are part of the gift package when enrolling.

citdog
July 5th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Then lets talk about Liberty's football program shall we.

THEY'VE GOT UNIFORMS AND EVERYTHING!xnodx xnodx

bjtheflamesfan
July 5th, 2008, 11:51 AM
What you may not realize is that those remarks about 9/11 and homosexuals he actually apologized for later (course the media didnt report that). Im not some blind lemming who just walks around believing everything. Now call me naive but I try to see the good in people and even though he has said some hurtful things about people and groups he still wanted to do whatever he could to evangelize and see good in this country. He wasnt perfect (as those comments and Im sure many other things that I dont know about can surely attest) I will agree but the fact is that Even with all the mistakes me made, he still at the end of the day was about winning souls and seeing this country return to the roots which made it great in the hands of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and the men that founded this great land whose birthday we celebrated yesterday.

Now Im ready to stick to football discussion here.

h5322rsh
July 5th, 2008, 05:54 PM
What you may not realize is that those remarks about 9/11 and homosexuals he actually apologized for later (course the media didnt report that). Im not some blind lemming who just walks around believing everything. Now call me naive but I try to see the good in people and even though he has said some hurtful things about people and groups he still wanted to do whatever he could to evangelize and see good in this country. He wasnt perfect (as those comments and Im sure many other things that I dont know about can surely attest) I will agree but the fact is that Even with all the mistakes me made, he still at the end of the day was about winning souls and seeing this country return to the roots which made it great in the hands of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and the men that founded this great land whose birthday we celebrated yesterday.

Oh yes the media did report the apology, I heard it way up in the Dakotas. So an apology is okay, but it does not hide internal thinking and conclusions. I smell something burning, could that be Falwell's soul?

So who are the Flames playing in non conference play?

h5322rsh
July 5th, 2008, 05:55 PM

Oh yes the media did report the apology, I heard it way up in the Dakotas. So an apology is okay, but it does not hide internal thinking and conclusions. I would not want to return to the America that Falwell imagined was founded in 1776 with the Declaration. Most of these people that signed the Declaration of Independence were dietists, they were not born againg bible believing baptists. Try and tell that to a blocked headed Lutheran like me. I dont buy it.

Back to football. I read the first page of this thread and yes Liberty did snag some good recruits, but how can you not help but do so, with so many recruits in SE USA. SDSU has one recruit from Georgia and I hope that is just the beginning. We have been D1 just 5 years now and we need to expand our recruiting to the South East USA, that were there is an abundance of recruits.

MplsBison
July 5th, 2008, 06:29 PM
What you may not realize is that those remarks about 9/11 and homosexuals he actually apologized for later

So what?

You apologize if you step on someone's toe or knock over their drink.

You don't ******** apoligize for ***** like that and then act as if everything you did was erased.

Maybe this "Jesus" fellow works that way, but I sure as ***** don't.

The guy was a b*stard scam artist and the world is a much better place with his ass in the dirt.

"Dr" Falwell, HA!

MplsBison
July 5th, 2008, 06:38 PM
The idea that some guy who called himself Jesus Christ claimed to be the "son" of the creator of the universe is laughable enough.

But the fact that Christianity has tricked so many people into giving up their minds to such an extent on the Earth is both scary and sickening.

It's no different than a cult. No difference in the slightest.

And the fact that you want to force everyone living in the country to live their lives by some book makes me angry. If it comes to it, I'll fight to make sure that "the Bible" remains a work of fiction.

laxVik
July 5th, 2008, 07:43 PM
Get over yourself, nobody is trying to force anything on anybody,God gave us free will,you have the choice to believe or reject.Much like you have the right to call some here God hating liberals. Stretching things can be fun, hmm? xcoffeex

Go...gate
July 5th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Fellas, how 'bout a little football. I know somebody just said that LU would stay in the BSC for the forseeable future, I know (at least I thought I'd heard it, anyhow) that the long-range goal for LU was to move up a division (to FBS). Is that still the case? I've always thought that FCS and the Southern Conference for all-sports would be the best home for you guys. Thoughts?

SuperJon
July 5th, 2008, 08:26 PM
There's absolutely no reason whatsoever Liberty should change conferences right now. If we were dominating every big sport then yeah, maybe. The only reason in the past to move was because the Big South didn't have an auto-bid in football. Now that we get one in 2010, there's no reason at all to move and it'd be stupid to even think about it. Everyone thinks that because Jerry's dream was to go FCS that we're going to jump at the first available opportunity. However, thankfully those people are not the AD. The AD said you have to be good at our level before we can even begin to try to be good at the next level above us. We won the Sasser Cup this year and were good in a lot of sports. However, we've gotta get the other ones to finish top two/three every year and compete for the top spot before we consider doing anything.

bjtheflamesfan
July 5th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Oh yes the media did report the apology, I heard it way up in the Dakotas. So an apology is okay, but it does not hide internal thinking and conclusions. I smell something burning, could that be Falwell's soul?

So who are the Flames playing in non conference play?
North Greenville, Glenville St, YSU and Western Carolina (Technically Presby could be considered non-conference too though)

SuperJon
July 5th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Um, BJ, you kinda forgot the most important non-conference game of the year: Elon.

bjtheflamesfan
July 5th, 2008, 11:07 PM
I DID forget that one...wow thanks for havin my back on that one SJ

UCAMonkey
July 6th, 2008, 12:41 AM
And the fact that you want to force everyone living in the country to live their lives by some book makes me angry. If it comes to it, I'll fight to make sure that "the Bible" remains a work of fiction.

Happy 4th of July!

Declaration of Independence

When ...it becomes necessary for one people to ...assume among the Powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them...
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created..., that they are endowed by their Creator ...
We, therefore, the Representatives of the United States of America...appealing to the Supreme Judge of the World for the Rectitude of our Intentions...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.

Our whole system, then, is founded on four(4) assumptions:

1. There is a God of Nations who establishes the place of nations.
2. He created man.
3. He endowed man.
4. He is the Supreme Judge of human conduct.

We may argue how best to honor God! We may, individually, even deny his very existence--at our own individual risk. But what we may not do, if heritage and honorable commitment mean anything, is to deny our fellow Americans their right to celebrate that heritage and renew that commitment to the God before whom the Fathers pledged their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor, in the cause that gave us the liberty to even hold this debate.

MplsBison
July 6th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Our whole system, then, is founded on four(4) assumptions:

1. There is a God of Nations who establishes the place of nations.
2. He created man.
3. He endowed man.
4. He is the Supreme Judge of human conduct.

Creator does not mean someone's god. It's left ambiguous on purpose.

Not on only that, but I really could give a rat's ass what some 300 year old document says. Such things should never be taken literally as what they thought back then is impossible to show relevance to today.

MplsBison
July 6th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Me calling some people God hating liberals, has nothing to do with your free will.Although most people who hate God are liberals.

Like I said, I don't hate anyone's personal God.

I hate people like you who prance around thinking the god of the Christians is automatically "the" god that everyone should be worshiping.

bjtheflamesfan
July 6th, 2008, 09:02 AM
A couple interesting books you might want to look into Mpls:

The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel. He actually set out to prove the Bible was a work of fiction and to disprove all the tenets of Biblical Christianity

What's So Great About Christianity by Dinesh D'Souza

laxVik
July 6th, 2008, 09:56 AM
And all Gods people said,Amen.Do you ever stop preaching?

laxVik
July 6th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Me calling some people God hating liberals, has nothing to do with your free will.Although most people who hate God are liberals.This is about the bigot, hate monger Falwell. God's got nothing to do with it.

laxVik
July 6th, 2008, 10:01 AM

The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel. He actually set out to prove the Bible was a work of fiction and to disprove all the tenets of Biblical Christianity

What's So Great About Christianity by Dinesh D'Souza As well I'd suggest "Jerry Falwell, Faith based fraud" by Christopher Hitchens.

Tribe4SF
July 6th, 2008, 10:03 AM
He wasnt perfect (as those comments and Im sure many other things that I dont know about can surely attest) I will agree but the fact is that Even with all the mistakes me made, he still at the end of the day was about winning souls and seeing this country return to the roots which made it great in the hands of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and the men that founded this great land whose birthday we celebrated yesterday.

Jerry was first, and foremost, an entrepreneur, and a politician. He was good at it, and wielded his influence to his own, and Liberty University's benefit. Ever wonder why he didn't offer a massive and organized resistance to parimutual wagering at Colonial Downs and the off-track betting parlors? Like most of us, he had his price, as long as they didn't try to put one in the Lynchburg area.

laxVik
July 6th, 2008, 10:07 AM

What's So Great About Christianity by Dinesh D'Souza As well I'd suggest "Jerry Falwell, Faith based fraud" by Christopher Hitchens. There's great Falwell quotes like "Jews and Muslims can't go to heaven" and “Billy Graham is the chief servant of Satan in America”.

UCAMonkey
July 6th, 2008, 02:15 PM

Not on only that, but I really could give a rat's ass what some 300 year old document says. Such things should never be taken literally as what they thought back then is impossible to show relevance to today.

We were founded on the principles of Chrisitianity. The founders of this country were all Christians from different sects/denominations and that may be why you feel it is ambiguous. But when it speaks of the Creator it was clear to all back then who they were talking about. It is one thing to have your beliefs but to intentionally change history to serve one's view points is wrong.

I can't believe you think the Declaration of Independence has no relevance today. Do they teach history at NDSU?

Sly Fox
July 6th, 2008, 06:23 PM
SuperJon is correct that at the present time we are no longer seeking a change of conferences. The Big South has finally given us access to the playoffs ... albeit barely. There is no other FCS league that really does much for us other than the CAA and we all know there is no room at the inn (a little Biblical reference for those who seem obsessed in this thread).

All of that said, FBS membership remains the ultimate goal for the school. With the moratorium it is a non-issue right now. And we are working hard to improve where we are right now. But when the opportunity does arrive for a move up, I fully anticipate we will be packing our bags. But frankly I don't see that happening for a number of years unless we are part of a group of schools stepping up together to form a new league ... and we all know who those schools likely are.

In the meantime, we plan on taking care of business in the Big South again this fall. And if we can step up for the first time in about decade and beat some quality non-conference opponents then we will be looking for our place in the postseason.

Go...gate
July 6th, 2008, 06:37 PM

So much for the Declaration of Independence. So, how do you feel about the Constitution?

MplsBison
July 6th, 2008, 07:45 PM
We were founded on the principles of Chrisitianity.

Unfortunately.

And I am all for turning this country into a secular country as much as possible.

MplsBison
July 6th, 2008, 07:49 PM
So much for the Declaration of Independence. So, how do you feel about the Constitution?

It had it's day.

Today is different day than 300+ years ago. If the Madison et al were here today, they would agree.

For example, it's sad that a 300 year old document still has the power to grant people the freedom to buy semi automatic handguns when the intent was for state's to keep militias to fight English.

Col Hogan
July 6th, 2008, 07:52 PM
It had it's day.

Today is different day than 300+ years ago. If the Madison et al were here today, they would agree.

For example, it's sad that a 300 year old document still has the power to grant people the freedom to buy semi automatic handguns when the intent was for state's to keep militias to fight English.

Then change it...until then, it's the law of the land...xrulesx

BDKJMU
July 6th, 2008, 08:18 PM
It is true. If you think it isn't really, really rare for a kid to pass up going to a school like Georgia if that school really wants him in order to go to an East Carolina or Southern Mississippi much less a FCS school, you're kidding yourself.

6'2", 275 4 to 5 years after another year of HS weight room and mom's home cooking and 3-4 years after that of a college strength program and chow hall might = 6'2", 300, 310, 320. 6'2", 275 isn't small at all for BCS league recruit at DT if he can run. 275 is probably close to the avg weight of a BCS DT recruit.

BDKJMU
July 6th, 2008, 08:20 PM

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Examples?

Obviously you're some moral relativist flaming lib ACLU Christian bashing type.

BDKJMU
July 6th, 2008, 08:40 PM
This has nothing to do with bashing a Christian Uni. I went to one - LMU. This is about a bigot and hate monger. One that likened 9/11 and troop deaths to homosexuals. You'd get the same reaction from me if David Duke started a Uni and called it Anglo Uni, home of the Crusaders. You're not going to get a free get out of jail card simply because of the great student body (I'm sure they are great. But they certainly should do some research on the man that started the uni). Unless blinders are part of the gift package when enrolling.

Yeah, and most of the people who refer to Falwell as a bigot are ready to vote for a presidential candidate that went to a church led by a racist, bigoted, American hating anti-semite preacher for 20 years, that got married by the guy, had his kids baptized by the guy, used one of his sermons for the title of his book, and called him his spiritual founding father.

SuperJon
July 6th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Man, this discussion about Liberty football is absolutely thrilling. I've learned so much about the program.

MplsBison
July 6th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Then change it...until then, it's the law of the land...xrulesx

It being a law in no way makes it the correct ethical or moral position.

UCAMonkey
July 6th, 2008, 09:16 PM
It being a law in no way makes it the correct ethical or moral position.

It is not the law that is immoral but those that break the law using semi-automatic handguns that are not ethical/moral.

Seawolf97
July 6th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Man, this discussion about Liberty football is absolutely thrilling. I've learned so much about the program.

Agreed - next thing Liberty drops football and leads 63 scholarship crusaders into the Middle East-lets try and get back on the subjectxrulesx

stonywolf
July 6th, 2008, 09:27 PM
getting back on the subject of FOOTBALL.....

Its extremely, extremely rare that ANY recruit would turn down offers to attend a major program in favor of a FCS program. And if the likes of Auburn and Alabama were really after these guys, dont you think they would be recruited very highly by dozens of other FBS programs?

I understand the point of faith, and i respect it, but that's only one aspect of choosing a school.

laxVik
July 6th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Yeah, and most of the people who refer to Falwell as a bigot are ready to vote for a presidential candidate that went to a church led by a racist, bigoted, American hating anti-semite preacher for 20 years, that got married by the guy, had his kids baptized by the guy, used one of his sermons for the title of his book, and called him his spiritual founding father.I'll assume reading is not your strong point.

BDKJMU
July 6th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I'll assume reading is not your strong point.

Its obviously stronger than yours.

SuperJon
July 6th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I understand the point of faith, and i respect it, but that's only one aspect of choosing a school.

Please don't see this as disrespectful or talking down to you because I really don't mean it as that.

With that being said, I think until you feel led to a place like Liberty, you can't really understand how large of an aspect that is.

You may or may not know that I originally went to Coastal Carolina. I wanted to go to school by the beach, I loved the school, loved the area, and was extremely excited to go to Coastal. Once I got there, I loved the classes, loved the school, loved the location, and everything was good. After the initial love-fest wore off, I started to realize I wasn't very happy. While I loved the school, it just wasn't for me. I've never drank or smoked or anything like that and let's be honest, there's a lot of that at Coastal. I just felt that something wasn't right.

I was a huge fan of Coastal's football team. I had been to five of the first six games of the 05 season. I wanted to go to the Liberty game too. I had never heard of Liberty before and had no clue what it was other than the team that my school was playing. When I got there for the game, I met some people that I really liked, found out more about the school, and left the game knowing that Liberty was the school I was looking for. A couple weeks later I went up for the weekend to visit and that's when I decided to transfer. At the end of the semester, I left Coastal and started school at Liberty. This past May I graduated. I start grad school this August getting it completely paid for and having a job in my field with the school.

To you, that may just sound like some nice story or a crock of crap. Either way, Liberty is where I felt that I was led to go. I understand that some people think that "feeling led to go somewhere" makes no sense. I get that. I really do. Even being a Christian I questioned that statement until it happened to me.

With all of that being said, we appeal to a certain niche market. If we can start capitalizing on the big time players who are also Christians then our program will continue to get better. The Christian kid that no one thinks we have a chance of recruiting can feel led to come here. It's possible. It's happened before, and it'll happen again. I've learned not to question it.

Hopefully that answered your question, and even moreso hopefully it made a little sense. You can agree or disagree with it, but hey, that's what makes life great.

MplsBison
July 7th, 2008, 06:24 AM
It is not the law that is immoral but those that break the law using semi-automatic handguns that are not ethical/moral.

Like I just said, having a law that says you may own a handgun does not make it ethically or morally correct to own one.

MplsBison
July 7th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I've never drank or smoked or anything like that and let's be honest, there's a lot of that at Coastal.

There's a lot of that at every single university in the world.

laxVik
July 7th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Its obviously stronger than yours.Guilt by association? Pay attention...this convo has been about "Falwell" not Bush, or Obama for that matter as your weak analogy attempted to try and point out. It almost appears you support the man and his comments over the years. Please, explain. This'll be rich...

Sly Fox
July 7th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Guys, this is the FCS Discussion forum. Can you take your hatred of Falwell to the appropriate forum?

SuperJon once again sums up the appeal of Liberty very nicely. It clearly is not for everyone. But for some it offers an atmosphere that can't be found elsewhere in Division I football.

But beyond the faith aspect, we have some quality facilities that most FCS programs (and many Non-BCS FBS programs) would dream of ... especially our Football Ops Center. We are doing what we can toward building a program where athletes don't have to settle for Liberty simply because of a spiritual calling. And for the first time in about a decade we are beginning to approach that standard.

We realize we will always be a lightning rod for certain individuals and most high school players aren't likely to be willing to adhere to our rules. But that won't stop us from striving to reach our goals.

Monarch History
July 7th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Sly Fox and SuperJon, I think you have both done an excellent job of explaining why students and players elect to go to Liberty. There will always be those that don't want to go or don't like what Liberty or other Christian schools stand for. This isn't the forum to discuss those issues.xsmhx

I'm sure that these posts are definitely not what SuperJon had in mine when he first posted nearly 13 pages ago.

Sly Fox
July 7th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Allegedly we have picked up our 5th verbal of the summer from a Maryland kid who reportedly has an offer from Oregon.

ASU
July 8th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Allegedly we have picked up our 5th verbal of the summer from a Maryland kid who reportedly has an offer from Oregon.

Many schools will not even take a verbal that soon. The chances normally are that if they do they do not end up there, and many coaches consider it a waste of time.

Sly Fox
July 8th, 2008, 07:39 AM
That's understood. But with most all of the FBS schools trying to get their entire class locked up by August the landscape has changed quite a bit the past two summers. That is creating the shakedown to FCS programs a little sooner than others.

This corner from Baltimore is apparently getting strong looks from BCS programs closer to home. In that case his verbal clearly is in jeopardy. But to be honest, we really haven't lost many verbals the past couple of years under our current staff that I am aware of.