PDA

View Full Version : West Point Tips

UNHWILDCATS05
June 27th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Does anyone have any tips on attending a football game at West Point. Will be traveling there for our September 6th match up with Army and am just looking for any general advice on the area, places to eat or go out to drink (in some of the surrounding towns - I know there isn't really anything in West Point itself but maybe in Highland Falls or Ft. Montgomery), must sees on the campus itself... that type of stuff... we are already booked to stay at the Thayer so our hotel is all set but just figured I would throw a request out to some FCS folks that have been there for a game before (i.e. UMASS or URI fans)... Thanks in advance?

citdog
June 27th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Hudson high sucks... that's my tip

Old Cage
June 27th, 2008, 04:55 PM
If your alumni association has a pre-game tailgate and hires the same caterer as we did, expect to pay a lot for cold burgers and warm drinks.
We had a lot of people at that event.

The night before we had a group at a Mexican restaurant on the west side of Route 9 (is that right?) not far south of the campus. That was quite good.

If your game happens to be the Saturday of one of the dress parades, make sure you get up early and attend. I was in the service back when so it was special for me to see and those in the group who had never see one were impressed. Dress warm.

As opposed to Annapolis, where we could walk freely about the campus and wander into several buildings, you must sign up ahead for a bus tour of West Point. We went at three on Friday afternoon I think.

They beat us 34-27. Try to keep the score down! Your hearing for the rest of your life will be better. Enough with the cannons!

Also, we would like everyone to know the info below: :D

yorkcountyUNHfan
June 27th, 2008, 05:10 PM
I hate BC

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 27th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I hate BC

Well, you're a self-respecting Wildcat Fan so hating the Beagles is expected. xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xlolx xlolx

93henfan
June 27th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Hudson high sucks... that's my tip

Just a few notable Hudson High grads:

Gen Robert E. Lee, CSA - Class of '29
Lt Gen Stonewall Jackson, CSA - Class of '46
Lt Gen James Longstreet, CSA - Class of '42
Lt Gen A.P. Hill, CSA - Class of '47
Lt Gen Richard Ewell, CSA - Class of '40
Lt Gen John Hood, CSA - Class of '53
Maj Gen J.E.B. Stuart, CSA - Class of '54
Maj Gen George Pickett, CSA - Class of '46
Gen Joseph Johnston, CSA - Class of '29
Gen P.G.T. Beauregard, CSA - Class of '38

UNHWILDCATS05
June 27th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Well, you're a self-respecting Wildcat Fan so hating the Beagles is expected. xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xlolx xlolx

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

RadMann
June 27th, 2008, 08:43 PM

What's your point, that they graduated a bunch of traitors?

Seawolf97
June 27th, 2008, 09:12 PM

Hmmmm?xcoffeex

hvsader
June 29th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Good planning to reserve the Thayer. Not much purpose in leaving West Point, a great destination in itself, unless you want to tour the Hudson Valley. Or directly across the Hudson, in Garrison, you can get the train to NYC - one hour away where you will find some pretty good dining options.

Brad82
June 29th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Newburgh (next town)-has a lot of bars and restaurants. Right on the river. Neat place.

Bulldog Fan
June 29th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Cornwall on Hudson (also next town) north on 9W- Painters Tavern - good food and atmosphere.

Brad82
June 29th, 2008, 02:34 PM
get to game early. For a couple of reasons-watch cadets march, not an easy place to get in and out of,plus a hike up to stadium from parking/tailgate area. Particularly compared to FCS stadiums.

dystopiamembrane
June 29th, 2008, 02:39 PM
You folks will destroy Army.

mrklean
June 29th, 2008, 06:40 PM

ALL TRAITORS TO THE U.S. ARMYxmadx

citdog
June 30th, 2008, 08:37 AM

PATRIOTS AND HEROS ALL!

GOD BLESS OUR SOUTHERN COMMANDERS! THEY DID YAHWEH'S GOOD WORK SENDING AS MANY MEMBERS OF THE VILE YANKEE RACE TO HADES AS THEY COULD.

300,000 I WISH IT WERE 3 MILLION!

Appaholic
June 30th, 2008, 08:41 AM

I see the Yankees had to train the South's generals just so they would have a decent war........xwhistlex

West Point = Army
citadel = cub scouts

93henfan
June 30th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Now see, to the first couple of responders to my post that didn't understand wtf I posted that for, TA DA!

I knew that Citdog would read it eventually!!!xlolx

UNH SUPERFAN
June 30th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Does anyone have any tips on attending a football game at West Point. Will be traveling there for our September 6th match up with Army and am just looking for any general advice on the area, places to eat or go out to drink (in some of the surrounding towns - I know there isn't really anything in West Point itself but maybe in Highland Falls or Ft. Montgomery), must sees on the campus itself... that type of stuff... we are already booked to stay at the Thayer so our hotel is all set but just figured I would throw a request out to some FCS folks that have been there for a game before (i.e. UMASS or URI fans)... Thanks in advance?

Your best bet if you are staying at the Thayer is to walk everywhere you go or take the shuttle buses that run from the hotel. I definitely WOULD NOT drive on post or to the game, it will be a zoo! If you want to see the cadets pass in review (parade) you should get to the "Plains" (parade grounds) at the designated time (the people at the Thayer can tell you the time). You should visit Trophy Point while at the parade, it is right there, the view of the Hudson to the north is spectacular.

Also near the hotel in downtown Highland Falls is the West Point Museum, it is quite close to the hotel. The walk from the parade to the stadium is all uphill but worth the walk IMO. Along the way you can look at the Cadet Chapel, it is pretty impressive. Also next to the stadium is the Hollander Center which houses the Academy basketball and hockey arenas.

citdog
June 30th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I see the Yankees had to train the South's generals just so they would have a decent war........xwhistlex

West Point = Army
citadel = cub scouts

MANY OF THESE GENTLEMAN GRADUATED FROM HUDSON HIGH SCHOOL BEFORE 1842 WHEN THE CITADEL WAS FOUNDED. APP STATE TEACHERS COLLEGE FOR WOMEN WAS STILL BEING CARRIED AROUND IN THE STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA'S TESTICLE SATCHEL AT THAT TIME.

carney2
June 30th, 2008, 12:12 PM

All of whom fought on the losing side. Anyone care to put together a list of WP grads who got to the finish line with their heads held high?

Appaholic
June 30th, 2008, 12:26 PM
MANY OF THESE GENTLEMAN GRADUATED FROM HUDSON HIGH SCHOOL BEFORE 1842 WHEN THE CITADEL WAS FOUNDED. APP STATE TEACHERS COLLEGE FOR WOMEN WAS STILL BEING CARRIED AROUND IN THE STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA'S TESTICLE SATCHEL AT THAT TIME.

Even if citadel had been around, why would these great Army generals ever attend the South's version of Canoe U.? xeyebrowx

CID1990
June 30th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I gave a female West Point cadet the tip once. Just the tip.

(She was clean shaven, too!)

CID1990
June 30th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I gave a female West Point cadet the tip once. Just the tip.

(She was clean shaven, too!)

Her face and back, that is.

UAalum72
June 30th, 2008, 12:54 PM
All of whom fought on the losing side. Anyone care to put together a list of WP grads who got to the finish line with their heads held high?
George Thomas, Class of 1840, was a Virginian who remained faithful. The Rock of Chickamauga is buried in Troy, NY in the same graveyard as 'Uncle Sam' Wilson.

Add to that other list Jefferson Davis, USMA Class of 1828

citdog
June 30th, 2008, 01:03 PM
George Thomas, Class of 1840, was a Virginian who remained faithful. The Rock of Chickamauga is buried in Troy, NY in the same graveyard as 'Uncle Sam' Wilson.

Add to that other list Jefferson Davis, USMA Class of 1828

thomas is not to be mentioned. he was a traitor to his own people and family

UAalum72
June 30th, 2008, 01:09 PM
thomas is not to be mentioned. he was a traitor to his own people and family
He was a patriot to his country, who didn't break his oath when he found it convenient.

mrklean
June 30th, 2008, 01:09 PM
PATRIOTS AND HEROS ALL!

GOD BLESS OUR SOUTHERN COMMANDERS! THEY DID YAHWEH'S GOOD WORK SENDING AS MANY MEMBERS OF THE VILE YANKEE RACE TO HADES AS THEY COULD.

300,000 I WISH IT WERE 3 MILLION!

All a bunch of Traitors. They should have been terminated like a bunch of wild dogs.

GOD let the right side win.

Cobblestone
June 30th, 2008, 09:03 PM

I went last season on a bus trip. But we didn't stay overnight. My advice would be to take a bus trip if some alumni group or booster group at UNH is willing to sponsor one because parking looks like it could be a real bitch. It appeared to me that nobody could park near the stadium and it is a healthy hike from the parade fields to Michie Stadium.

When you get there take the time to see the pass and review done by the cadets. Your school President will get to review the troops along with the Commander of the Corps at West Point. They also have a parachute demonstration at the same parade field. From there you get on shuttle buses (yellow school buses) and take the trip to the other side of the campus to Michie Stadium. FYI, if your spouse or significant female other normally carries a handbag, tell her to leave it home. Security at Michie is tight and under no circumstances do they allow handbags in the stadium. We didn't know this and MRS. Cobblestone had to leave her handbag at the lost and found then get it after the game. My suggestion would be to wear a waist pack.

When you get off the shuttle bus at Michie Stadium be sure to ask your driver where he or she will be after the game. When you walk out the gates after the game all you see are yellow school buses. So be sure you can locate yours without a problem or get ready for a good road march to the parade field where your tour bus or vehicle will be.

Enjoy your day. West Point is a very special place to see a game. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

elcid96
June 30th, 2008, 10:10 PM

notta, zip, zippo, nothing. Go to New York City (1 hr) if you want to eat or drink.

elcid96
June 30th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Her face and back, that is.

lmfao

xoutofrepx