PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Pads, Not on Budget for SLC School

TexasTerror
June 26th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Texas State - San Marcos, currently in the midst of an effort to obtain Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) status has cut shoulder pads from their budget in a line by line removal of needs on the athletic department budget.

Before the admins get worked up, this is absolutely factual, as an unofficial group of boosters on the BobcatFans message board is currently in the process of raising the funds for this project.

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15053

How can it be, that a program with the deepest pockets in the Southland Conference, one that aspires to play at a division that they perceive as higher than FCS, not have the necessary funds to buy shoulder pads?

I understand that unofficial groups raise moneys for 'wants', but this is a 'need' that the athletic department does not have the funds to purchase for the program.

As one fan put on the thread, " We'll do whatever we can to help Brad (Wright), but we really shouldn't have to raise money for basic needs for our sports teams".

This is reality slapping the program in the face. If you want to move up to FBS, you need to do things the right way. While I am not a proponent of SHSU moving up under the current climate of football, a failure by the school in San Marcos would make it harder for SHSU and Lamar, both schools in the same system, from ever moving up.

onbison09
June 26th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Wow good luck in FBS!

jstate83
June 26th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Don't care if you do have the money to buy shoulder pad's through private funds.

If you are planning a move up and then list shoulder pad's as a want instead of a budgeted, every year need, then a move up might not be in your best interest.xlolx

Just a thought. xwhistlex

BEAR
June 26th, 2008, 05:45 PM
That's no big deal. SFA cut back on pillows for their team on road trips and they creatively found a way to "acquire" the need from the hotels in Conway. xlolx

The key is to be creative...xwhistlex

gokats85
June 26th, 2008, 10:26 PM
That's no big deal. SFA cut back on pillows for their team on road trips and they creatively found a way to "acquire" the need from the hotels in Conway. xlolx

The key is to be creative...xwhistlex

I'm sure that is how they are able to aquire new towels and soap too!:D :D

Go...gate
June 26th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Who needs shoulder pads.....xconfusedx xrolleyesx xeekx xnonono2x

TXST_CAT
June 27th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I doubt this is true. There are many Alumni who care very little for the current AD. Partly because he doesn't bend to their bribes. Many of these Alumni are the very same individuals who have run the Athletics program into the Ground. There is no doubt in my mind this is a hoax or just a few Alumni blowing things out of proportion. It's bad taste the way they approached this situation. Any fans who truly cared would not have gone this route to raise funds for the Athletic Department.

TexasTerror
June 27th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I doubt this is true. There are many Alumni who care very little for the current AD. Partly because he doesn't bend to their bribes. Many of these Alumni are the very same individuals who have run the Athletics program into the Ground. There is no doubt in my mind this is a hoax or just a few Alumni blowing things out of proportion. It's bad taste the way they approached this situation. Any fans who truly cared would not have gone this route to raise funds for the Athletic Department.

The individual leading the efforts has served on the Board of Directors of both your school's alumni association and the Bobcat Club itself. He apparently even served as President of the BC for two years and even organizes those weekly luncheons at Luby's (I love their fried okra!).

Seems he is connected to the program and has already earned quite a few funds towards these shoulder pads. Seems legit to me...and right now, he's in the process of defending the equipment manager.

Cocky
June 27th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Why do you need shoulder pads? It is illegal to hit players while on their knees.

jessesd
June 27th, 2008, 10:49 AM
TT, sounds like your hatread of TXSt is a bit misguided "again" by a little scam going on at the Bobcats BBoard.
How can I take you seriously while posting bias/uncertifiable information to justify your hate???
Please, give us some credit....!!!
P.S. Now if you can obtain more reliable data, I'll reconsider my opinion of this post....otherwise is your everyday garbage bias on TXSt.
Peace!!!

bobbythekidd
June 27th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Why do you need shoulder pads? It is illegal to hit players while on their knees.
ouch!

TexasTerror
June 27th, 2008, 11:28 AM
TT, sounds like your hatread of TXSt is a bit misguided "again" by a little scam going on at the Bobcats BBoard.
How can I take you seriously while posting bias/uncertifiable information to justify your hate???
Please, give us some credit....!!!
P.S. Now if you can obtain more reliable data, I'll reconsider my opinion of this post....otherwise is your everyday garbage bias on TXSt.
Peace!!!

It seems legit to me...not sure why else everyone would be sending in $300+ to make things happen for the linemen.

The individual spearheading this operation has all the credentials of a booster and it amazed me how quick people came to defend the equipment manager. They wouldn't be doing that if this was false.

This is not bias, this is the truth. They need new pads and they can not get them, so the fans on the Bobcats board are making the effort to get them.

If this is a "scam" as you put it, I feel sorry for those who are giving their hard-earned $$$ to the efforts.

jessesd
June 27th, 2008, 11:47 AM
It seems legit to me...not sure why else everyone would be sending in $300+ to make things happen for the linemen.

The individual spearheading this operation has all the credentials of a booster and it amazed me how quick people came to defend the equipment manager. They wouldn't be doing that if this was false.

This is not bias, this is the truth. They need new pads and they can not get them, so the fans on the Bobcats board are making the effort to get them.

If this is a "scam" as you put it, I feel sorry for those who are giving their hard-earned $$$ to the efforts.

Dude, I consider you to be smarter than that!!!!xcoffeex xcoffeex

This has scam or prank written all over and you were gullible enough (Can't seem to see the obvious) and fell for it!!!
I hope you did not donated to their cause, otherwise, we have a Bridge in Brooklyn for sale!!!LOL xlolx xlolx xlolx

TexasTerror
June 27th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Dude, I consider you to be smarter than that!!!!xcoffeex xcoffeex

This has scam or prank written all over and you were gullible enough (Can't seem to see the obvious) and fell for it!!!
I hope you did not donated to their cause, otherwise, we have a Bridge in Brooklyn for sale!!!LOL xlolx xlolx xlolx

I highly doubt it -- those individuals are putting their names out there tied to this. The group on BobcatFans has gone out and raised $$$ for the athletic department and their needs before. This individual that heads this has a great relationship with the department and has even had luncheons attended by members of the department...

Not sure how it could be a scam or you have some people really soiling their reputations...which I'll admit, is nothing new for a few individuals affiliated with what was once known as Southwest Texas...

UNHWildCats
June 27th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I love this comment from that thread....

Can't the linemen just borrow the secondary's pads? They ain't hit anybody in about 3 years from what I can tell.

jessesd
June 27th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I stand by my comment made earlier....." if you Provide an official request by the Athl dept asking for help or a comunique telling the boosters to cover the equipment cost I'll believe this" otherwise this is yor typicall rant about the school you hate for whatever reason and you re only tring to justify this...
Peace out!!

patssle
June 27th, 2008, 01:02 PM
I stand by my comment made earlier....." if you Provide an official request by the Athl dept asking for help or a comunique telling the boosters to cover the equipment cost I'll believe this" otherwise this is yor typicall rant about the school you hate for whatever reason and you re only tring to justify this...
Peace out!!

Please xrolleyesx Its a post from their own freaking message board. Terror dosn't need to justify anything. If its a scam, then everybody is fooled.

Go...gate
June 27th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Ahhhhh, we don't need no stinkin' shoulder pads....xrolleyesx ;)

jessesd
June 27th, 2008, 02:07 PM
My point is: TT is so eager to trash TXST for whatever reason jumping to conclusions w/o confirming the validity of his facts just to spread his hate for the school and I wanted to point out he is not fooling some of us to jump on his bandwagon of hate for TXSt...

TexasTerror
June 27th, 2008, 03:16 PM
My point is: TT is so eager to trash TXST for whatever reason jumping to conclusions w/o confirming the validity of his facts just to spread his hate for the school and I wanted to point out he is not fooling some of us to jump on his bandwagon of hate for TXSt...

Not trying to get anyone on a "bandwagon of hate" -- I'm trying to get factual information about a school that is trying to move to FBS, that can not muster funds for new shoulder pads...

elcid96
June 27th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Texas State - San Marcos, currently in the midst of an effort to obtain Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) status has cut shoulder pads from their budget in a line by line removal of needs on the athletic department budget.

Before the admins get worked up, this is absolutely factual, as an unofficial group of boosters on the BobcatFans message board is currently in the process of raising the funds for this project.

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15053

How can it be, that a program with the deepest pockets in the Southland Conference, one that aspires to play at a division that they perceive as higher than FCS, not have the necessary funds to buy shoulder pads?

I understand that unofficial groups raise moneys for 'wants', but this is a 'need' that the athletic department does not have the funds to purchase for the program.

As one fan put on the thread, " We'll do whatever we can to help Brad (Wright), but we really shouldn't have to raise money for basic needs for our sports teams".

This is reality slapping the program in the face. If you want to move up to FBS, you need to do things the right way. While I am not a proponent of SHSU moving up under the current climate of football, a failure by the school in San Marcos would make it harder for SHSU and Lamar, both schools in the same system, from ever moving up.

Good luck in the FBS. I am sure that most schools in the MAC conference have the same problem.

Syntax Error
June 27th, 2008, 03:40 PM
How can I take you seriouslySays the member with an Alligator as his avatar. xcoffeex

MaximumBobcat
June 27th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Jesus, everytime I click over to AGS there is a new thread bashing on TxSt...

There's a group of guys over on Bobcatfans.com trying to raise money to buy BRAND NEW, SHINY, EXTRA shoulder pads for our team. That's it.

TT, this is just like Katfans.com raising money for your kiddie carnival blowup thing or whatever, except we are raising money for extra things the coaches say they need more of.

I'm not an equipment manager, but do football players get brand new shoulderpads ($300+) every year? Probably not, but I bet coaches would LIKE their players to have that sort of stuff.

TexasTerror
June 27th, 2008, 05:13 PM
There's a group of guys over on Bobcatfans.com trying to raise money to buy BRAND NEW, SHINY, EXTRA shoulder pads for our team. That's it.

TT, this is just like Katfans.com raising money for your kiddie carnival blowup thing or whatever, except we are raising money for extra things the coaches say they need more of.

I'm not an equipment manager, but do football players get brand new shoulderpads ($300+) every year? Probably not, but I bet coaches would LIKE their players to have that sort of stuff.

KatFans.com rose money for a WANT. The athletic department did not even want one, but the KatFans.com thought it would be nice to add something to the game day experience...

The equipment manager said he could not get what he needed and now you have BobcatFans.com (reportedly a scam according to a 'Gator fan' on this board) trying to get money for what the football team, notably the equipment manager, need...

Needs vs Wants - 3rd grade social studies. xrulesx

And want to know why there are all these Bobcats threads? Those tied to your school, including those on the task force committee pushing for FBS have made negative remarks about FCS. This is an FCS community. Go figure...of course, you guys open yourselves up for most of it.

MaximumBobcat
June 27th, 2008, 05:43 PM
KatFans.com rose money for a WANT. The athletic department did not even want one, but the KatFans.com thought it would be nice to add something to the game day experience...

The equipment manager said he could not get what he needed and now you have BobcatFans.com (reportedly a scam according to a 'Gator fan' on this board) trying to get money for what the football team, notably the equipment manager, need...

Needs vs Wants - 3rd grade social studies. xrulesx

"I'm not an equipment manager, but do football players get brand new shoulderpads ($300+) every year? Probably not, but I bet coaches would LIKE their players to have that sort of stuff."

Trust me, no matter what you think you know, we have shoulder pads we can use. xnonox

New ones would be nice though, thus the fundraiser. xnodx

TexasTerror
June 27th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Found out the true story to what is happening in San Marcos with the shoulder pads.

Our favorite institution does what every other Division I program does in buying things in shifts and recondition when things need reconditioning. One lineman who wrote me told me that they prefer reconditioned ones over new ones anyway...

Anyhow, the powers that be in San Marcos are not "cutting funds". It's just an individual (our buddy bobcatmd) who is just trying to make an issue of something that is not...

On the bright side for the athletic department, they may buy the shoulder pads earlier than they thought. For the student-athletes, they may not be as big a fan of our buddy, bobcatmd's efforts...

Funny enough, the "humility" as one fan put it comes from one individual, bobcatmd, putting information that is incorrect out there that paints his institution in a negative light...

This is the story and I'm sticking to it...

MaximumBobcat
June 27th, 2008, 08:04 PM
No worries TT, you just took a story and blew it up out of context.

Don't sweat it, it happens to you all the time.

TexasTerror
June 27th, 2008, 08:35 PM
No worries TT, you just took a story and blew it up out of context.

Don't sweat it, it happens to you all the time.

Just passing along the word from the Bobcat fan base...nothing more, nothing less. Poking some fun at you blokes...got to be a realist.

You guys are the ones throwing the crap around with your misinformation, we're just here for the ride and having fun at the expense of those flinging it...

MaximumBobcat
June 27th, 2008, 08:58 PM
You guys are the ones throwing the crap around with your misinformation, we're just here for the ride and having fun at the expense of those flinging it...

Just like how you flung it on AGS?? xnodx xnodx

TexasTerror
June 27th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Only flung it 48 hours (if not longer) after the issue hit the web. You guys were the ones that led me to doing it...

Got to give me credit, waited a good two days (if not longer) to see how it developed, if there was something there. The more bobcatmd and others said about it, just made it worthwhile to get the word out...

A shame you got individuals painting a horrible picture of what truly is going on with this situation...

Freightliner
June 27th, 2008, 11:38 PM

Max - most players are VERY superstious (sp?) and will stay with the same helmet and shoulder pads their entire college career - UNLESS they undergo a position change or an injury that requires a different piece of equipment.

Most FCS universities will then send all the helmets/shoulder pads off to be reconditioned at the end of their spring training session.

Most of the time - NLI Freshman and Transfer athletes will get the new equipment that comes in.

In this case...I think the funds that are being raised are for EXTRA shoulder pads on top of the shoulder pads they have budgeted for.

Ohh...and for all you Appy folks out there...Texas State's EQM is a 2002 App State Grad.

MaximumBobcat
June 28th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Thanks, that's something like what I figured.

TexasTerror
June 29th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Glad I'm getting blasted on the BobcatFans forum...

Some questions to ask...

Do they really need them? Not necessarily.

So, is it a real "must-have item"? As one Bobcat fan said, "I'm sure Brad Wright would find a better way to rearrange the budget to accommodate the need."

Can the team play if these donations do not come through? Of course.

cbuck
July 1st, 2008, 12:52 PM
This kind of stuff happens all the time. I heard that next year's bass fishing team doesn't have enough money for dynamite.

TXSUBobcat
July 1st, 2008, 01:14 PM
This kind of stuff happens all the time. I heard that next year's bass fishing team doesn't have enough money for dynamite.

(not that funny)

TexasTerror
July 6th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Good news...

The Bobcats should have the pads that they needed and will be able to hit the football field to play their schedule in the fall. I know there were some major concerns that the Bobcats would not be able to play football due to the lack of the needed equipment...

I know the Bearkat fans look forward to seeing the Bobcats, as we had placed a few phone calls out there to find an opponent in the case that shoulder pads were not in place...

TexasTerror
July 12th, 2008, 09:54 AM
The shoulder pads issue continues...

The admins rejected the checks as they were made directly to the company who was selling the pads to the institution. Apparently, the protocol was that the checks were to be made out to the "Touchdown Team" (assuming this is the football team account for boosters) and then they would have cut a check for the pads.

Seems there was some miscommunication in this whole process, though it does make sense on why the procedure is what it is...

http://www.bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=154736

BEAR
July 12th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I think they are in need of knee pads more than shoulder pads...:D xlolx Just kidding! I think the football administration knows their needs and will make sure they have them when needed. xthumbsupx

chrisattsu
July 12th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I am not very happy with the outcome if this.

Has anyone else tried to donate *requested* things for their AD?