PDA

View Full Version : ASU's Murrell: I-AA DE to NFL LB?

SoCon48
October 15th, 2005, 09:06 AM
A comment on Charlotte radio this week prompted questions about positions in college vs a switch for the NFL. It should be quite obvious that a player like Marques Murrell of App State (6'2 230) is not likely to make it as a DE in the NFL, but would stand a better chance making the NFL as a LB vs DE at that size.

He has proven quite well that he can play DE (and excel) at the I-AA level. Then the question was why he isn't playing LB at App. It should be obvious that the staff places players where they are needed by the team and suited for I-AA competition rather than grooming for a shot at the NFL.

Hopefully 99.9% of other I-AA coaches do the same.

youwouldno
October 15th, 2005, 11:00 AM
I would think virtually all coaches put the team first-- their job is ultimately on the line. And not just in I-AA... the situation is generally the same in I-A, except there is more pressure in some cases to play star prospects in certain roles.

If someone is good enough, they'll find a way to contribute in the pros, regardless of whether they can no longer play their former position at the next level.