PDA

View Full Version : New Umass/JMU Thread

saint0917
October 15th, 2005, 05:46 AM
O.K. lets put all that weather stuff behind us and lets talk some football.

Rushing Avg.
Steve Baylark 91.0
Alvin Banks 82.0
Maurice Fenner 82.0

Passing Avg.
Justin Rascati 199.4
Liam Coen 187.2

Scoring Offense
James Madison 45.6 It looks like JMU can put some points on the board :nod:
Umass 22.8

Scoring Defense
Umass 5.8
James Madison 10.0

Both teams can put points on the board, but neither team gives up any points either, will this be a Offensive game and a Defensive game? At this point my guess it will be low scoring, with the field being wet and now their talking about high winds this afternoon I don't think either team will pass much, maybe just high percentage short passing. It should be a good one.

JMU Duke Dog
October 15th, 2005, 06:40 AM
It is good to see a new thread about this game.

For A-10 Supremacy?
The Atlantic 10’s two best teams thus far – James Madison and Massachusetts – play today.

By Mike Barber

AMHERST, Mass. - While his coach and most of his teammates used qualifiers to hedge their answers, James Madison quarterback Justin Rascati didn’t mince words in describing his team’s football game against Massachusetts today at noon in Amherst.

"This is the game of the year, I think, for our team," Rascati said this week.

Rascati will lead the Dukes (4-1 overall, 2-0 in the Atlantic 10) against the only other A-10 team still unbeaten in conference play. In two league wins, JMU has outscored Hofstra and Maine by a combined 80-12. In three A-10 victories, UMass has outscored Richmond, Rhode Island and Northeastern, 60-12.

The site of today’s game was in doubt until Friday, when the Atlantic 10 announced that it would be played as scheduled at McGuirk Stadium, which passed a league inspection to determine whether it was too soggy from recent rains.

In Division I-AA, this is a battle of heavyweights. JMU, the reigning national champion, is ranked fourth in The Sports Network I-AA poll; UMass is No. 13.

Massachusetts (4-1, 3-0) boasts the nation’s top-ranked defense, and JMU knows just how the Minutemen got there -- by playing physical up front and blitzing often.

"They blitz a ton," Rascati said. "They bring the house."

That’s the philosophy Brown brought back with him to UMass last season after four years as Northeastern’s coach.

"I’m a big believer that you need to be aggressive," Brown said. "That’s what we want to try to do."

Senior right tackle Harry Dunn sees a silver lining in Massachusetts’ attacking defensive scheme.

"If we pick ’em up, they’ve only got three or four guys in coverage sometimes," Dunn said. "We’re looking for a big play."

But none of UMass’s foes this year have been able to do that. Massachusetts leads the nation in total defense, yielding 162 yards per game, and in scoring defense, giving up just 5.8 points per outing.

Of course, JMU isn’t too far behind.

The Dukes are eighth in the nation in total defense (467.4 ypg) and third in scoring defense (10 ppg). Where Madison really excels, and where today’s game will likely be decided, is in run defense. JMU is second in I-AA, giving up just 53.4 yards per game.

Knowing how highly ranked UMass’ defense is only motivates JMU’s defense more, senior defensive end Frank Cobbs said.

"If you’re a competitor, you go in thinking that," Cobbs said. "They have a really good defense and we think we have a really good defense. It’s a shame the two defenses can’t play each other, ya know."

Despite the hype, Brown said it’s too soon to dub today’s game the A-10 championship bout.

"I think it’s really too early to tell," Brown said. "But certainly it’s a unique matchup at the midpoint of the season."

Matthews agreed.

"I think it’s for the conference lead," Matthews said. "You won’t know until November exactly how much. But it’s for the conference lead, so it’s big."

Earlier this week, JMU requested that A-10 commissioner Linda Bruno come to Massachusetts and evaluate the rain-soaked grass surface at McGuirk Stadium. If Bruno had ruled the field unplayable, the game would have been moved to the artificial-turf surface at nearby Springfield College – which probably would have aided the speedy Dukes.

Both Bruno and A-10 supervisor of officials Jim Maconaghy agreed the UMass field was suitable.

"They walked the field this afternoon and after taking a look at it they felt it was in playable condition," assistant commissioner Ray Cella said.

Bruno could not be reached for comment.

Madison would have rather played the game on artificial turf, helping its fast defense. UMass obviously preferred to play at home — in front of a homecoming crowd — and on a grass surface that works well with its bruising running game.

The Minutemen will throw a young quarterback at the Dukes today.

UMass senior quarterback Tim Day, injured and ineffective early, is now playing wide receiver. His replacement, freshman Liam Cohen, has started the last three games. Coen can expect JMU to try to pressure him when he drops back to pass, which won’t likely be often.

Massachusetts relies heavily on the run, featuring a pair of all-conference caliber tailbacks in Steve Baylark and R.J. Cobbs. Baylark has run for 455 yards and two touchdowns, while Cobbs has 217 yards and five scores.

"They like to run the ball," JMU free safety Tony LeZotte said. "They’re a running team. They’re a physical team."

JMU Duke Dog
October 15th, 2005, 06:41 AM
It is good to see a new thread about this game. It is going to be quite the matchup today. Good luck to both teams.
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=1113&CHID=3

For A-10 Supremacy?
The Atlantic 10’s two best teams thus far – James Madison and Massachusetts – play today.

By Mike Barber

AMHERST, Mass. - While his coach and most of his teammates used qualifiers to hedge their answers, James Madison quarterback Justin Rascati didn’t mince words in describing his team’s football game against Massachusetts today at noon in Amherst.

"This is the game of the year, I think, for our team," Rascati said this week.

Rascati will lead the Dukes (4-1 overall, 2-0 in the Atlantic 10) against the only other A-10 team still unbeaten in conference play. In two league wins, JMU has outscored Hofstra and Maine by a combined 80-12. In three A-10 victories, UMass has outscored Richmond, Rhode Island and Northeastern, 60-12.

The site of today’s game was in doubt until Friday, when the Atlantic 10 announced that it would be played as scheduled at McGuirk Stadium, which passed a league inspection to determine whether it was too soggy from recent rains.

In Division I-AA, this is a battle of heavyweights. JMU, the reigning national champion, is ranked fourth in The Sports Network I-AA poll; UMass is No. 13.

Massachusetts (4-1, 3-0) boasts the nation’s top-ranked defense, and JMU knows just how the Minutemen got there -- by playing physical up front and blitzing often.

"They blitz a ton," Rascati said. "They bring the house."

That’s the philosophy Brown brought back with him to UMass last season after four years as Northeastern’s coach.

"I’m a big believer that you need to be aggressive," Brown said. "That’s what we want to try to do."

Senior right tackle Harry Dunn sees a silver lining in Massachusetts’ attacking defensive scheme.

"If we pick ’em up, they’ve only got three or four guys in coverage sometimes," Dunn said. "We’re looking for a big play."

But none of UMass’s foes this year have been able to do that. Massachusetts leads the nation in total defense, yielding 162 yards per game, and in scoring defense, giving up just 5.8 points per outing.

Of course, JMU isn’t too far behind.

The Dukes are eighth in the nation in total defense (467.4 ypg) and third in scoring defense (10 ppg). Where Madison really excels, and where today’s game will likely be decided, is in run defense. JMU is second in I-AA, giving up just 53.4 yards per game.

Knowing how highly ranked UMass’ defense is only motivates JMU’s defense more, senior defensive end Frank Cobbs said.

"If you’re a competitor, you go in thinking that," Cobbs said. "They have a really good defense and we think we have a really good defense. It’s a shame the two defenses can’t play each other, ya know."

Despite the hype, Brown said it’s too soon to dub today’s game the A-10 championship bout.

"I think it’s really too early to tell," Brown said. "But certainly it’s a unique matchup at the midpoint of the season."

Matthews agreed.

"I think it’s for the conference lead," Matthews said. "You won’t know until November exactly how much. But it’s for the conference lead, so it’s big."

The Minutemen will throw a young quarterback at the Dukes today.

UMass senior quarterback Tim Day, injured and ineffective early, is now playing wide receiver. His replacement, freshman Liam Cohen, has started the last three games. Coen can expect JMU to try to pressure him when he drops back to pass, which won’t likely be often.

Massachusetts relies heavily on the run, featuring a pair of all-conference caliber tailbacks in Steve Baylark and R.J. Cobbs. Baylark has run for 455 yards and two touchdowns, while Cobbs has 217 yards and five scores.

"They like to run the ball," JMU free safety Tony LeZotte said. "They’re a running team. They’re a physical team."

ChickenMan
October 15th, 2005, 06:46 AM
the weather forecast for Amherst...

Cloudy with occasional rain...mainly in the morning. High 64F. Winds NNW at 10 to 20 mph. Rainfall near a half an inch.

saint0917
October 15th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Very litte rain, thank god, my shoes are still wet from last week. :(

JMU Duke Dog
October 15th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Rain or shine, I am just glad to be able to watch what should be a great football game.

saint0917
October 15th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Rain or shine, I am just glad to be able to watch what should be a great football game.

Are you going to be at the game or watching it on T.V.?

JMU Duke Dog
October 15th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Are you going to be at the game or watching it on T.V.?

I really wish I could have made it up to Amherst to see this huge game. I try to make it to all JMU games but UMass and Hofstra are quite the trips from Harrisonburg especially with gas prices these days. So by result I will be watching the game online or maybe on TV because I think they have worked out a deal here in the Shenandoah Valley that WAZT will pick up the CN8 feed and Comcast might televise it. I really enjoy seeing other schools and their gameday experiences so next weekend Delaware better keep the game at Delaware Stadium.

saint0917
October 15th, 2005, 07:31 AM
I really wish I could have made it up to Amherst to see this huge game. I try to make it to all JMU games but UMass and Hofstra are quite the trips from Harrisonburg especially with gas prices these days.

I know what your talking about, I was going to try and see Umass play at Colgate this year but with the gas prices the way they are, plus my wife and I had to pay $2500 to pre-buy oil for the winter for our house, our wallets to a big hit. :(

umassfan
October 15th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Those going to the game better break out the rain gear because it is coming down in buckets.