PDA

View Full Version : Memphis QB transfers to Samford

Jiggs
June 23rd, 2008, 12:15 PM
http://gwcommonwealth.com/articles/2008/06/22/sports/local_sports/sports1.txt

93henfan
June 23rd, 2008, 12:22 PM
Congrats on the talent-plucking from FBS.

I'm calling this the Flacco effect. Sure, there've always been FBS/I-A to FCS/I-AA transfers, but you're going to see a wave now. When a guy is buried on a depth chart at a mediocre Big East school and then transfers to I-AA and becomes a first round NFL pick, that provides hope to all the guys buried on FBS rosters nationwide.

ASUTed
June 23rd, 2008, 12:50 PM
To henfan:

Do you think that it is a good thing for FCS teams to continue to rely on FBS qb transfers as opposed to developing your own talent? If recruits start noticing that trend, you may have a hard time filling the slot if there is no cast off available.

To Jiggs:

Congrats, hopefully he will make you more competitive in the Socon.

AZGrizFan
June 23rd, 2008, 12:50 PM
Congrats on the talent-plucking from FBS.

I'm calling this the Flacco effect. Sure, there've always been FBS/I-A to FCS/I-AA transfers, but you're going to see a wave now. When a guy is buried on a depth chart at a mediocre Big East school and then transfers to I-AA and becomes a first round NFL pick, that provides hope to all the guys buried on FBS rosters nationwide.

Let's just hope Flacco doesn't flame out. (not that I think he will....) xeyebrowx

gophoenix
June 23rd, 2008, 01:28 PM
To henfan:

Do you think that it is a good thing for FCS teams to continue to rely on FBS qb transfers as opposed to developing your own talent? If recruits start noticing that trend, you may have a hard time filling the slot if there is no cast off available.

To Jiggs:

Congrats, hopefully he will make you more competitive in the Socon.

A real question would be, should FCS continue to rely on FBS talent at any position, not just at QB. We all do it.

Hoyadestroya85
June 23rd, 2008, 01:28 PM
Don't be too sure about these QB's from FBS schools.. Villanova had a guy about 8 or 9 years ago who transferred from Kentucky (he was Tim Couch's backup) and ended up third on the Depth Chart at Nova and finally transferred to some D-III school

andy7171
June 23rd, 2008, 01:34 PM
Don't be too sure about these QB's from FBS schools.. Villanova had a guy about 8 or 9 years ago who transferred from Kentucky (he was Tim Couch's backup) and ended up third on the Depth Chart at Nova and finally transferred to some D-III school

Exactly, transfers are a crap shoot. If you go 50-50, you're lucky. Everything pans out during Spring ball, FBS transfers or not.

93henfan
June 23rd, 2008, 01:42 PM

If two out of your three FBS QB transfers become NFL draftees, one gets your school a National Championship, the second gets you to the National Championship Game, and the third gets you to the playoffs, and all this helps you land Ohio State's backup as your fourth QB transfer, I won't complain! xlolx xnodx xthumbsupx

Like gophoenix said, we're all doing it, so it's a moot point really.

Hoyadestroya85
June 23rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
A real question would be, should FCS continue to rely on FBS talent at any position, not just at QB. We all do it.

not everyone does it..

SOCAL
June 23rd, 2008, 02:42 PM
If two out of your three FBS QB transfers become NFL draftees, one gets your school a National Championship, the second gets you to the National Championship Game, and the third gets you to the playoffs, and all this helps you land Ohio State's backup as your fourth QB transfer, I won't complain! xlolx xnodx xthumbsupx

Like gophoenix said, we're all doing it, so it's a moot point really.

Given the propensity of Delaware to use D1A transfers as their QB of the future--what HS QB would even consider Delaware to spend thier 4 years---

Cocky
June 23rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
This will give Samford 6-8 QBs on their roster.

ASUTed
June 23rd, 2008, 03:12 PM
I agree, I hope delaware has a transfer available every other year because they will have no decent QB recruits on that roster.

Just to let everyone know, app has won the NC the last three years without any impact transfers outside of a kicker(if you count that one).

I hope Delaware gets a better transfer next time, they might have a chance to not get blown out by us.

gophoenix
June 23rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
not everyone does it..

No, we all don't. And some do it more than others. But you know what I mean.

93henfan
June 23rd, 2008, 05:37 PM
Given the propensity of Delaware to use D1A transfers as their QB of the future--what HS QB would even consider Delaware to spend thier 4 years---

I dunno. You may want to ask the many great ones that keep signing with us, like Lou Ritacco, who is battling for the starting job right now. xeyebrowx

93henfan
June 23rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
I agree, I hope delaware has a transfer available every other year because they will have no decent QB recruits on that roster.

Just to let everyone know, app has won the NC the last three years without any impact transfers outside of a kicker(if you count that one).

I hope Delaware gets a better transfer next time, they might have a chance to not get blown out by us.

I think you win the prize for dumbest post of the year. Congratulations.xthumbsupx

bobbythekidd
June 23rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
I think you win the prize for dumbest post of the year. Congratulations.xthumbsupx
He's only 13 posts into AGS. Give him a chance to get used to what to say and what not to say.

BarefootApp
June 23rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
What ever happened to the Mortensen kid who transferred to Samford from, I think, Arkansas? Anybody know?

Hoyadestroya85
June 23rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
I dunno. You may want to ask the many great ones that keep signing with us, like Lou Ritacco, who is battling for the starting job right now. xeyebrowx

Lou Ritacco looks like one of those guys who should be pumping his fist in a club in North Jersey or Long Island while listening to techno.. i'm not saying he's a bad QB though..

Look at the blowout that he has

MR. CHICKEN
June 23rd, 2008, 07:33 PM
DIS CRAZY EYED....YET......TERMINALLY HANDSOME LAD.....IS NETTIN' MO' TUNA.........DAN UH....JAPANESE TRAWLER.....OH YEAH....AN' VERAH MUCH IN DUH UD QB HUNT......xnodx.................BRAWK!

OUGHTAH....DO BOOGIE MININ'......MO' OFTEN........DOUGH!

ericsaid
June 23rd, 2008, 07:36 PM
Lou Ritacco looks like one of those guys who should be pumping his fist in a club in North Jersey or Long Island while listening to techno.. i'm not saying he's a bad QB though..

Look at the blowout that he has

guido..

yaga bomb....yega bomb....yega bomb....

Hoyadestroya85
June 23rd, 2008, 08:35 PM
that's his new haircut

paward
June 23rd, 2008, 11:38 PM
We must agree that a presidence is being set here in respect to transfer. I for one like to groom what you have. However, I do not disagree with any palyer feels they have a better chance should seek other options (all sports included). It is a fact that most want to play and start. IMHO, players should factor in play time with their decision to attend certain schools. I am aware that nothing is a given and you never know, but some scenarios may mandate a new thought pattern in what's best for you. We will never resolve this issue. It is hard for Richmond (my school) to get the transfer. Cost and academic requirements always hinder our program. I would love to get a few older/lighters (term for experience players). With the thought that the grass looks greener on the other side, there have to be some bad chemistry/carma that goes with the transfers. I guess it all balance out in the end.

93henfan
June 24th, 2008, 08:26 AM
It is hard for Richmond (my school) to get the transfer. Cost and academic requirements always hinder our program.

Why would it be harder for Richmond to "get the transfer"? You say cost and academic requirements? I'm not sure why it would be harder for Richmond to attract a transfer than Delaware based on cost, unless they only planned to give a partial scholarship. Academic requirements are a wash. Both schools have very selective acceptance rates (~40%), Richmond has slightly higher avg SAT score, and Delaware has slightly higher avg GPA.

My theory is that it has more to do with past success of transfers, recent success of the program, traditional success of the program, facilities, television coverage, fan base, and persuasive ability of the coaching staff. It also doesn't hurt, for scouting purposes, that Delaware is within a couple hours drive of 5 NFL teams.

I think the argument that transfers hinder your ability to recruit and develop high school players directly is highly overstated. It's often mentioned but seldom substantiated. I have yet to see an FCS program that accepted transfers (which is the vast majority, btw) suddenly become a perennial cellar dwellar within the next four to six years due to lack of recruiting. You have to remember that a school with, say, 5 transfers on the roster still has about 100 direct recruits.

Jiggs
June 24th, 2008, 10:31 AM
What ever happened to the Mortensen kid who transferred to Samford from, I think, Arkansas? Anybody know?

He transferred back to Arkansas after not being able to get the QB job at Samford.

http://nwanews.com/nwat/Sports/63788/