PDA

View Full Version : VA Tech Transfer To Play At App State

Lehigh Football Nation
June 20th, 2008, 10:16 AM
http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=297031

SOUTHERN PINES — Former E.E. Smith High School star Devin Radford has transferred from Virginia Tech to Appalachian State, Mountaineer head coach Jerry Moore said Tuesday.

Moore expects Radford to enroll in summer school and will be eligible to play next fall for the three-time defending Bowl Subdivision champions.

“We don’t even know where we’re going to play him,’’ Moore said. “He’s just an athlete. He could be a receiver, he could be a defensive back or he could be a running back. He certainly could be a return guy.’’

Radford will have three years of eligibility at ASU.

DLS
June 20th, 2008, 10:31 AM
we've got too many runningbacks.

93henfan
June 20th, 2008, 10:41 AM
three-time defending Bowl Subdivision champions

Dude. We (FCS) need to just be I-AA again. Nobody can get the whole FBS/FCS thing straight. It's a lost cause.xnonono2x

AppAlum2003
June 20th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Dude. We (FCS) need to just be I-AA again. Nobody can get the whole FBS/FCS thing straight. It's a lost cause.xnonono2x

Yeah, at least people knew what I-AA was. "Championship Subdivision" just sounds like we're NAIA or something.

Anyway, back to the thread at hand. This kid looks promising. During Spring drills last year at VT, he ran a 4.31 40! Coach Moore hasn't decided where he'll play yet, but with his speed, he could return kicks/punts, play WR, DB, RB... wherever he's needed, I'm sure.

blueballs
June 20th, 2008, 10:53 AM
we've got too many runningbacks.

You can never have too many running backs... just look at what happened to GSU last year for proof.

Opening the season they had three studs at RB: Lewis, Hamilton and Rozier. Covington, who had been the starter and leading rusher the year before, and Wiggins were moved across the ball because of the talent and depth of those three. By the fourth game Rozier was out for the year, Hamilton was on crutches, and Lewis couldn't play more than two or three plays at a time because of a bad high ankle sprain that hobbled him all year. Hatcher had to pull the redshirt off a FR WR, Chris Teal, and actually made him the starter for 3 or 4 games. The point is with injuries a position of strength can become a position of need in just a few snaps.

Besides, the competition will make all of them better. Radford looks like he will be a good fit for App's scheme with Edwards, just like Lewis (when healthy) was with Foster for GSU.

slostang
June 20th, 2008, 11:03 AM
The rich get richer.

AppStateold299
June 20th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I like how this guy sounds. I can't wait to see him on the field with AppState.

Scooter
June 20th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Gotta agree with blueballs on this one...you can never have enough good runningbacks.

biggie
June 20th, 2008, 12:12 PM
I'd say plug him to fill for Dexter Jackson, returns/WR and RB if we end up needing him.

mountain_man
June 20th, 2008, 10:58 PM
The only question I ever have in a situation like this is why is the kid leaving the previous school/team. IE, the Wardlow kid from UT. He may have been a great athlete, but do we really need that kind of trouble.

I also understand some kids do deserve a second chance...

Skjellyfetti
June 20th, 2008, 10:59 PM
The only question I ever have in a situation like this is why is the kid leaving the previous school/team. IE, the Wardlow kid from UT. He may have been a great athlete, but do we really need that kind of trouble.

I also understand some kids do deserve a second chance...

I think he just wasn't getting playing time. I don't believe he had any problems with the law or grades.

thmst30
June 20th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Yea, this kid is leaving on good terms from Va. Tech. He just wanted to go somewhere that offered him a better chance to play.

FCS Go!
June 21st, 2008, 12:43 AM
VT has basically nobody at RB this year, the job is wide open. Seems a little odd to be leaving when the starting job is there for the taking. xeyebrowx

I'm just saying....

thmst30
June 21st, 2008, 01:02 AM
Apparently they do have enough good RBs to keep him from playing.

BeauFoster
June 21st, 2008, 11:32 AM
One thing's for sure, he isn't leaving with an arrest for soliciting prostitutes hanging over his head!

AppAlum2003
June 21st, 2008, 12:08 PM
VT has basically nobody at RB this year, the job is wide open. Seems a little odd to be leaving when the starting job is there for the taking. xeyebrowx

I'm just saying....

Actually, he left the team prior to the 2007 season. He's still got 3 year of eligibility left.

KiddBrewer
June 21st, 2008, 01:43 PM
my man runs a 4.31............he'll play somewhere

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/players/2007/radford.html

ericsaid
June 21st, 2008, 05:42 PM
I imagine, reciever and runningback, used for reverses at receiver and has good size at 190 to run a 4.31, so running triple options with armanti and devon sounds good.

jmuroller
June 21st, 2008, 06:12 PM
Good luck with him...he can run fast in a straight line....but don't ask him to go left or right. He had true freshman come in this year and move ahead of him. I promise you that App St. already has better football players than him.

The Moody1
June 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM
Good luck with him...he can run fast in a straight line....but don't ask him to go left or right. He has true freshman come in this year and move ahead of him. I promise you that App St. already has better football players than him.

Maybe he should have transferred to JMU. ;)

McTailGator
June 21st, 2008, 06:23 PM

Nope...

It's not a lost cause,

It is stopping coaches from CUSA, The Skunk Belch, and the MAC in ALL sports from going into the home of a single mother and telling her that their Baby needs to be playing for a Division I team and not some D-2 team.

McNeese coaches in all sports have already seen it's changes.

JUST BECAUSE SOME STUPID ASS JOURNALISTS AND ESPN talking heads haven't gotten yet, doesn't mean much, because THEY are not the intended audience.

This was needed to prevent less than honorable coaches in ALL D-I sports from trying to put our athletics program in a lower class.

WE ARE DIVISION I

IN ALL SPORTS

And as I stated. Our teams can't move UP from here.

They either move DOWN to D-II, or they mover OVER to another Sub-division of Division I athletics.

jmuroller
June 21st, 2008, 06:28 PM
Maybe he should have transferred to JMU. ;)

We're happy with what we have.

appmountaineer
June 21st, 2008, 08:51 PM
WE ARE DIVISION I

IN ALL SPORTS

They either move DOWN to D-II, or they mover OVER to another Sub-division of Division I athletics.

WELL SAID xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
June 25th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Nope...

It's not a lost cause,

It is stopping coaches from CUSA, The Skunk Belch, and the MAC in ALL sports from going into the home of a single mother and telling her that their Baby needs to be playing for a Division I team and not some D-2 team.

McNeese coaches in all sports have already seen it's changes.

JUST BECAUSE SOME STUPID ASS JOURNALISTS AND ESPN talking heads haven't gotten yet, doesn't mean much, because THEY are not the intended audience.

This was needed to prevent less than honorable coaches in ALL D-I sports from trying to put our athletics program in a lower class.

WE ARE DIVISION I

IN ALL SPORTS

Yeah, its moving "over" not moving "up" and I'm Santa Claus. Whenever people talk about JMU's situation as to whether or not JMU will move UP sometime after the stadium expansion is complete even on CAAzone, its about moving UP not moving OVER, as it is with 99.9% of college fottball fans not on this board. You can live in your own fantasy world if you want to.

Seawolf97
June 25th, 2008, 08:37 PM

Amen xnodx

SoCon48
June 26th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Yeah, its moving "over" not moving "up" and I'm Santa Claus. Whenever people talk about JMU's situation as to whether or not JMU will move UP sometime after the stadium expansion is complete even on CAAzone, its about moving UP not moving OVER, as it is with 99.9% of college fottball fans not on this board. You can live in your own fantasy world if you want to.

I dunno. If one joins up with the likes of Louisiana-Laugh-a-ette, I don't see it as moving up unless one's program really sux at present.xeyebrowx

GGASU
June 26th, 2008, 01:45 AM

I do love the Div 1 championship gear...it really pisses off LSU and other fans.

I was playing with them on tigerdroppings tonight after the Fresno victory in baseball, and got an absolute onslaught of responses.

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/messagetopic.asp?p=8732162