PDA

View Full Version : School Abbreviations

crunifan
October 13th, 2005, 12:25 PM
We all have the two-four letter abbreviations for different schools. But how many are actually used at your school? When people talk about your school, what is the most common name used?

I know at the University of Northern Iowa, it is almost ALWAYS referred to as UNI. Almost all merchandise, media coverage, etc. uses UNI. UNI is used much much much much more than University of Northern Iowa.

So, for people from Delaware, Montana, North Dakota State and all the other schools out there. What does your school do?

Hansel
October 13th, 2005, 12:26 PM
NDSU is used on most merchandise, I have also seen an increase of stuff that says "ND State" recently

AppGuy04
October 13th, 2005, 12:35 PM
most of the appalachain stuff has ASU on it, but the school website is actually appstate.edu, so kinda weird

89Hen
October 13th, 2005, 12:35 PM
IMO...
1. Delaware
2. UD (our mascot is YouDee)
3. U of D

The interlocking UD is used everywhere. Some of the old timers still cling to the script D like the Detroit Tigers caps. Used to see a lot of those in the 70's.

http://www.onlinesports.com/images/lga-ude001.gif

catbob
October 13th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Montana State or MSU, and for technical terms, Montana State University-Bozeman

Kind of funny our website is www.montana.edu , which got Griz fans in a big hissy fit. :)

We tend to downplay the state part of our names, for whatever reason. I personally don't like schools that just refer to themselves as "state", it's so generic.

grizband
October 13th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Montana is generally referred to as UM.

Catbob, do you know why MSU was able to use montana.edu as their webpage, rather than UM?

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Sam Houston State is SHSU. I'm not a big fan of this whole SHS stuff that I've seen before. It happened on a nationally televised QF, but I believe it was corrected for the ESPN Semis last year.

FSN knows we're SHSU, then again, they have loads of alums working for them in Dallas (home of FoxSW) and Houston (their FSN international satellite center).

Cocky
October 13th, 2005, 12:47 PM
We have JSU on the 50.

89Hen
October 13th, 2005, 12:49 PM
I personally don't like schools that just refer to themselves as "state", it's so generic.
I've never liked that either... especially the ones that have an S on their helmet as the main letter.

http://www.dulax.net/NC%20state.gif
http://www.sidelinemvp.com/Images/College_Auth/Michiganstate.jpg

Umass74
October 13th, 2005, 12:52 PM
We are always UMass. No one ever calls us Massachusetts. Even when discussing other members of UMass system, we're UMass-Amherst as apposed to UMass-Lowell, etc. (note that locals drop the "H" in Amherst. It's AM-erst not AM-Herst.

colgate13
October 13th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Catbob, do you know why MSU was able to use montana.edu as their webpage, rather than UM?

That's pretty simple. I think they just got there first!

As for my alma mater, it's 'gate'. CU is rarely used. Too much like another correspondence/communter school located in Ithaca.

colgate13
October 13th, 2005, 12:53 PM

That's pretty simple. I think they just got there first!

As for my alma mater, it's 'gate'. CU is rarely used. Too much like another correspondence/commuter school located in Ithaca.

catbob
October 13th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Montana is generally referred to as UM.

My only guess is that we thought of it first. :)

NSUDemon98
October 13th, 2005, 01:02 PM
We all have the two-four letter abbreviations for different schools. But how many are actually used at your school? When people talk about your school, what is the most common name used?

I know at the University of Northern Iowa, it is almost ALWAYS referred to as UNI. Almost all merchandise, media coverage, etc. uses UNI. UNI is used much much much much more than University of Northern Iowa.

So, for people from Delaware, Montana, North Dakota State and all the other schools out there. What does your school do?

Northwestern State University = NSU.

Though Nicholls St. tries to claim it also, Northwestern St. was founded in 1884 as opposed to like 1950's for Nicholls St.. Also, NSU holds series wins in every sport by a sizeable margain.

OL FU
October 13th, 2005, 01:07 PM
When people talk it is Furman.
FU on some merchandise but most merchandise has the logo - the diamond with an "F"

sceagle
October 13th, 2005, 01:18 PM
GSU is used sometimes but it can be confusing since Georgia State is also GSU. Although I believe the GSU scramble by Southern Pride makes us THE GSU. It seems like most people in Georgia refer to us as Southern.

89Hen
October 13th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Northwestern State University = NSU
Wow, that's one I've never seen. Whenever I abbreviate I use NWSt and never really thought of NSU.

crunifan
October 13th, 2005, 01:21 PM
That is another good thing, UNI has it's abbreviation tradmarked. No other school can use UNI for their abbreviated. So, needless to say, if you call UNI by NIU...look out.

bobcatfan06
October 13th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Texas State, TxSt, FSN uses TSU. The school's website is txstate.edu and I have seen some stuff that says T-State on it. Mostly just Texas State or TxSt.

Golden Eagle
October 13th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Split about 50/50 between "TTU" and "Tech".

GoGuins
October 13th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Youngstown State is best known as YSU

bostonspider
October 13th, 2005, 01:36 PM
University of Richmond, goes by:

Richmond
UR
U. of R.

When away from school, and asked where they go, most kids call it Richmond. When in the city of Richmond, most call it UR, and most locals in Richmond call it U. of R.

DTSpider
October 13th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Welcome bostonspider. good to have some company over here.

wkukid
October 13th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Western Kentucky is mainly "WKU" but "Western" is a close second.

tribe_pride
October 13th, 2005, 01:59 PM
People at William and Mary say "W and M" or "The College"

I know lots of people got on us about "The College" at the caazone site as too pretentious. It's not said for pretentious reasons. The full name of the school is "The College of William and Mary" and William and Mary is long to say so if you are talking about it to someone who knows, "The College" is just quicker. Never heard anyone say "The College" to someone who doesn't know that we were talking about W&M.

th0m
October 13th, 2005, 02:17 PM
As far as I know, James Madison University is just referred to as JMU. We simply have 'Madison' on our football jersey's though, so Madison is probably sufficient, but I don't think there's another school with a diff name that spells JMU.

89Hen
October 13th, 2005, 02:21 PM
It's not said for pretentious reasons. The full name of the school is "The College of William and Mary" and William and Mary is long to say so if you are talking about it to someone who knows, "The College" is just quicker.
Don't know about that tribe. I think UVA calling themselves 'The University' may have something to do with it.

atlGAmocs
October 13th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Univerisity of Tennessee at Chattanooga is most commonly referred to as UTC. Chattanooga is also common. There is a push by some alums to rename the school Univ. of Chattanooga and they use UC abbreviation.

dbackjon
October 13th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Northern Arizona University = NAU

No other NAU's out there.

AppGuy04
October 13th, 2005, 02:47 PM
I've never liked that either... especially the ones that have an S on their helmet as the main letter.

http://www.dulax.net/NC%20state.gif
http://www.sidelinemvp.com/Images/College_Auth/Michiganstate.jpg

atleast with the nc state one you can tell which state it is

AppGuy04
October 13th, 2005, 02:48 PM
FU on some merchandise but most merchandise has the logo - the diamond with an "F"

i wonder why

thats about like S. Carolina with those hats that just say Cocks

Stang Fever
October 13th, 2005, 02:57 PM
At Cal Poly you see

shirts that read:

1) California Polytechnic Sate University
San Luis Obispo

2) CPSU

3) Cal Poly (on the front of the shirt is says Cal and on Back it says POLY)

4) CP

blur2005
October 13th, 2005, 03:01 PM
James Madison University has been called JMU for my entire lifetime, so that's all people really call it. Occasionally, the name "Madison" is used, but that harks back to the days of it being Madison College. But everyone likes the Madison name, so it's even featured on our jerseys, as well as a lot of stuff. But everyone in Harrisonburg calls it JMU.

I'd say that "The College" and "The University," as William & Mary and UVA call themselves, are definitely related. I don't really think either is pretentious though. UVA is THE University of Virginia, and it's The College of William & Mary.

DuckDuckGriz
October 13th, 2005, 03:11 PM
For a while I think I saw UMont on alot of Montana shirts.

DemiGS
October 13th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Even with Georgia State University and Grambling in the mix....
I still believe Georgia Southern has to be the real GSU. State isn't a "real" university in the same way Phoenix isn't a "real" university. State is mostly evening/commuter students and there isn't a real campus but rather a scattering of buildings in the middle of down town Atlanta. Needless too say there isn't much school spirit.
And Grambling has its history, but for example if I said "GSU" randomly on this board I bet Grambling state would not be the school that comes to mind. Having said all that if I'm asked by someone on the street where I went to school I'll usually answer "Southern". At least in the state of Georgia, “Southern” seems to be the most common spoken name for the school just as "Georgia" is the most common answer when spoken rather than UGA.
So…the vast dark conspiracy is to not only minimize Grambling as a “GSU” but to reduce Southern University’s claim on “Southern”. :D

DuckDuckGriz
October 13th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Even with Georgia State University and Grambling in the mix....
I still believe Georgia Southern has to be the real GSU. State isn't a "real" university in the same way Phoenix isn't a "real" university. State is mostly evening/commuter students and there isn't a real campus but rather a scattering of buildings in the middle of down town Atlanta. Needless too say there isn't much school spirit.
And Grambling has its history, but for example if I said "GSU" randomly on this board I bet Grambling state would not be the school that comes to mind. Having said all that if I'm asked by someone on the street where I went to school I'll usually answer "Southern". At least in the state of Georgia, “Southern” seems to be the most common spoken name for the school just as "Georgia" is the most common answer when spoken rather than UGA.
So…the vast dark conspiracy is to not only minimize Grambling as a “GSU” but to reduce Southern University’s claim on “Southern”. :D

I agree with you. And sorry for the ignorance Grambling fans, but for along time I thought it was just 'Grambling' and no state....I'm sure I'm not the only one who referred to you as Grambling University.

chattanoogamocs
October 13th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Like ATLmoc said...the Chattanooga was private from the 1880's until 1969 (Methodist-Episcopal) so all the older fans/alum call it U of C or UC...plus all the younger fans that can't stand tennessee-knoxville :splat: (like me) refuse to put a "T" in the name. :)

There is a committee currently forming of alums to change the name back to UofC (no, not leaving the UT system, just taking back our traditional name...ala App State and WCU being in the UNC system...or Georgia Tech in the Georgia System)...actually, I am in charge of the committee ;) ...along with the former dean of students.

UC is an interesting situation, the school is many times categorized as a public school with a private mentality (a professor I know who has worked throughout the UT system and she said she could believe how independently minded Chattanooga was). Most of us like to think it is the best of both worlds...we have a large private endowment (from old UC, and used only by our campus), but have the ability to be open to all...with more funding and less tuition cost.

As for athletics...some uniforms still say UTC....but most now just say Chattanooga...and nothing else....and there is NO orange to be found on campus (we used to have all these orange UT system signs....we changed them all to blue :))

89Hen
October 13th, 2005, 03:40 PM
But everyone likes the Madison name, so it's even featured on our jerseys, as well as a lot of stuff. But everyone in Harrisonburg calls it JMU.
I'm about 50/50 using JMU and Madison. Two of the guys I work with went to school there and I think both of them call it Madison. I'd have to guess that 'Madison' is used only fairly locally (VA and DC metro).

OL FU
October 13th, 2005, 03:47 PM
i wonder why

thats about like S. Carolina with those hats that just say Cocks

Forgive my lack of clarity, most merchandise says Furman. If they use the logo it does not say FU, but the Diamond and "F".

Better?

SochorField
October 13th, 2005, 03:49 PM
University of California, Davis:

UC Davis Aggies
UCD
Aggie Football website-independent of school (http://louie.stuaff.ucdavis.edu/ICA/FOOTBALL/)

I have never seen "Cal Davis" anywhere around here

http://www.aggiepack.com/graphics/Logos/primary_lrg.gif

charliej
October 13th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Villanova,or 'Nova for short.Most use Nova but I have heard a few refer to it as VU.

boozeANDammo
October 13th, 2005, 03:51 PM
I'm about 50/50 using JMU and Madison. Two of the guys I work with went to school there and I think both of them call it Madison. I'd have to guess that 'Madison' is used only fairly locally (VA and DC metro).

I have to disagree somewhat with the other two JMU fellas, the term "Madison" is just as common, if not more so, then JMU (especially in the DC area).

Funny story: Was up in the UP of MI about a month ago and someone asked me where I went to school. I told them "Madison." The gent then replied... "U of W in Madison or JMU?" My jaw dropped. Guy ended up being from Ohio and had a cousin that went to JMU. Hey, good news spreads fast! :D

SuperJon
October 13th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Ours is always CCU or Coastal. In AP reports or whatever we're always Coast Car or something like that. As for the mascot, most merch and media write "Chants" instead of Chanticleers.

soccerguy315
October 13th, 2005, 04:16 PM
William and Mary merchandise says "W&M" or more commonly, "William and Mary" or "The College of William and Mary"

If someone asks where you go to school, the students will respond "William and Mary". "The College" only works if the discussion is already about W&M. If someone asks where you go and you say "the College", they won't know what school you mean. Just like if some UVA person says they go to "the University", that doesn't mean anything to someone who doesn't already know. I have seen Washington and Lee merchandise that says "Washington and Lee is THE university of virginia" though.

As for JMU, I'm not a fan of "Madison"... not sure why. Maybe it's just b/c I associate "Madison" with James Madison High School, due to no one's fault but my own, obviously.

aceinthehole
October 13th, 2005, 04:25 PM
I just noticed the Coastal uses CCU, so I'd guess I'd mention that a similar abbreviation.

Central Connecticut State University, also known as Central Connecticut, always uses the abbreviation CCSU. The NCAA uses "Central Conn. St." in their official publications and sometimes the media or others leave off the "St." part to save space.

I've seen some posters use "CCS" or "Central CT" incorrectly, becasue they are never used by the anyone affiliated with the school.

And, of course like most "directional" schools "CENTRAL" is often used, but only when in state or when specifically refering to one of the Connecticut State Universities.

AppGuy04
October 13th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Forgive my lack of clarity, most merchandise says Furman. If they use the logo it does not say FU, but the Diamond and "F".

Better?

no, i was making a joke, as in, they don't want their merchandise to have a pun

FU= **** You
thats what i was referring to

biobengal
October 13th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Idaho State uses:

ISU. We even have the www.isu.edu website. Idaho Stae must have won in a mad dash to beat out Indiana State, Iowa State, Illinois State, and .........?? Could be others, I suppose.

Curious to know what the other ISU's use. There are quite a few ISU's in the midwest, this might lead to confusion.

Purple Knight
October 13th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Univerisity of Tennessee at Chattanooga is most commonly referred to as UTC. Chattanooga is also common. There is a push by some alums to rename the school Univ. of Chattanooga and they use UC abbreviation.

Never did like the UTC thing. Before that, all i heard was Chattanooga Mocs. Like it better.

Hansel
October 13th, 2005, 06:41 PM
Idaho State uses:

ISU. We even have the www.isu.edu website. Idaho Stae must have won in a mad dash to beat out Indiana State, Iowa State, Illinois State, and .........?? Could be others, I suppose.

Curious to know what the other ISU's use. There are quite a few ISU's in the midwest, this might lead to confusion.
iowa state uses iastate.edu

hawkineer
October 13th, 2005, 06:54 PM
At Cal Poly you see

shirts that read:

1) California Polytechnic Sate University
San Luis Obispo

Man, those most be some really big shirts or some really small letters. ;)

blur2005
October 13th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Idaho State uses:

Iowa State, too! Just because I was interested, it's www.iastate.edu for Iowas State, which is probably not the first guess for people when trying to find that site. I typed in www.iowastate.edu to see if that was it, and it didn't work, obviously.

blur2005
October 13th, 2005, 08:28 PM
I have seen Washington and Lee merchandise that says "Washington and Lee is THE university of virginia" though.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
*choke*

We should fricken sue them for that b.s.

Kidding...no I'm not...yes I am...

ngineer
October 13th, 2005, 10:12 PM
People at William and Mary say "W and M" or "The College"

I know lots of people got on us about "The College" at the caazone site as too pretentious. It's not said for pretentious reasons. The full name of the school is "The College of William and Mary" and William and Mary is long to say so if you are talking about it to someone who knows, "The College" is just quicker. Never heard anyone say "The College" to someone who doesn't know that we were talking about W&M.

How about "Bill & Mary" ? ;)

ngineer
October 13th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Most times it's just "Lehigh", although merchandise has interlocking "LU", or a a single capital "L". I liked the old interlocking "LU" we had on our helmets back in the late '60's and 70's.

Dallas Demon
October 13th, 2005, 10:30 PM
Stephen F. Austin goes by SFA. As NSUSON98 pointed out, both Northwestern St. and Nicholls St. use NSU.

ccd494
October 13th, 2005, 11:01 PM
NEVER EVER EVER REFER TO THE UNIVERSITY OF MAINE AS "UMO"

Back in the 60's, in order to make some satellite campuses feel better, the official name of the school was changed to "The University of Maine at Orono." (UMO for short). This put it, in most people's eyes, on par with glorified community colleges like the University of Maine-Machias (UMM), University of Maine-Presque Isle (UMPI) and so on. This is not the case. UMaine is a competitive research university. UMPI will admit anyone with a GED. In the 80's, this was changed. It is again THE UNIVERSITY OF MAINE. No Orono in the title. However, "UMO" is persisting much to the chagrin of the faculty, administration and students and much to the delight of alums of the joke affiliate "schools."

Acceptable abbreviations:

-UM, probably too common though.

-UMaine. Distinguishes the University from the University of Maine system. System website: www.maine.edu. University website: www.umaine.edu.

-Maine. Simple, short, direct.

Personally, I look at "ME" as the state. But if you need to use a two letter abbreviation and don't like "UM", it's probably the best.

Also, I've seen "UME" on boards before, that's just gross.

sceagle
October 13th, 2005, 11:44 PM
I have a question for all the people in the northeast. I know this is a football board but does anyone know why the University of Vermont is UVM and not UVT?

Tribe4SF
October 14th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Don't know about that tribe. I think UVA calling themselves 'The University' may have something to do with it.

W&M was being referred to as The College before UVA even existed. It's just the logical use of the first part of the complete name. Generally only used in-house, or by Darren Sharper when introducing himself on Monday nights.

DotCat
October 14th, 2005, 03:25 AM
most of the appalachain stuff has ASU on it, but the school website is actually appstate.edu, so kinda weird
That's because Arizona State University is www.asu.edu They got it first.

Whatever happened to the Paladin logo. Why always the "Diamond F"?

Western Carolina has been know as "WCU" or "Western". Don't really like just being called "Western" because there are other "Western's" out there. Our Catamount name is also shortened to "The Cat's", which I can't stand, but on well. WCU is located in Cullowhee, NC which is also refered to as the "Whee" and I have seen stickers on cars to that effect.

DotCat
October 14th, 2005, 03:28 AM
Whatever happened to the Paladin logo. Why always the "Diamond F"?

chattanoogamocs
October 14th, 2005, 04:32 AM
we gotta a lot of shortened town names in the SoCon...

Chas, G, Chatty, the Whee, the Boro, G-Ville, (and the former JC)

Most SoCon fans could see any of these and know exactly what city the person is talking about.

UAalum72
October 14th, 2005, 06:38 AM
I have a question for all the people in the northeast. I know this is a football board but does anyone know why the University of Vermont is UVM and not UVT?
Universitas Viridis Montis, Latin for "University of the Green Mountains" - from the official seal, and the phrase from which 'Vermont' is derived.

For the University at Albany, State University of New York, 'UA' hasn't really caught on, neither has UAlbany as the department has tried to promote. Usually just Alb'ny if you know you're talking about the university, though locals are as likely to call it SUNY (pronounce Soo-knee) or even Albany State - we're not close enough to Georgia to be confused with the other Albany State University.

Sam Adams
October 14th, 2005, 06:44 AM
As most in these parts know, the real name for UVM is "Groovy UV". It lives up to that name. :cool:

colgate13
October 14th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Most times it's just "Lehigh", although merchandise has interlocking "LU", or a a single capital "L". I liked the old interlocking "LU" we had on our helmets back in the late '60's and 70's.

You still had those in the early 90s too.

ngineer
October 14th, 2005, 08:04 AM
You still had those in the early 90s too.

Well, yes, but different. The one's in the early 90's were smaller and inside a brown football shape oval on the gold helmet. I was remembering the big brown interlocking "LU" on the side of our old white helmets. (also had two brown stripes down the middle).

colgate13
October 14th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Well, yes, but different. The one's in the early 90's were smaller and inside a brown football shape oval on the gold helmet. I was remembering the big brown interlocking "LU" on the side of our old white helmets. (also had two brown stripes down the middle).

Gotcha. I was just remembering what my brother wore. I thought those uniforms were sharp. Much better than the brown Notre Dame look going on now.

igo4uni
October 14th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Idaho State uses:

The folks at Iowa State are used to being confused! :D

peace

igo4uni

FU97
October 14th, 2005, 03:22 PM

That's because most of the students there can't spell "appalachian". See above quoted email for proof......

NSUDemon98
October 14th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Stephen F. Austin goes by SFA. As NSUSON98 pointed out, both Northwestern St. and Nicholls St. use NSU.

Dude, you are being waaaay too nice. Northwestern State University is NSU. Nicholls St. University is NicSt.

Yeah, we can both live in harmony...NOT!!!

Bub
October 14th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Drake is nearly always referred to as Drake, occassionally as DU.

For you JMU folks, a co-worker from Virginia refers to JMU as Mattie Tech. (sp) Heard of that? I believe he graduated from Richmond in the late 60's.

skinny_uncle
October 14th, 2005, 05:24 PM
The Gateway almost has this down. They have SIU, WKU, UNI, YSU, etc. Still haven't sorted out that ISU thing though. Illinois State or Indiana State?
:eek:

JaxStateManager
October 14th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Like mentioned earlier in this post, we use JSU, but many of our athletic programs are refered to as JAX STATE in the papers, as to avoid confusion with Jackson State or Jacksonville Univ.

89Hen
October 14th, 2005, 06:54 PM
W&M was being referred to as The College before UVA even existed.
That would have been Ye College I guess. :cool:

Tribe4SF
October 14th, 2005, 10:05 PM
That would have been Ye College I guess. :cool:

Ye right! ;)