PDA

View Full Version : First Year HC?

Cobblestone
June 18th, 2008, 02:12 PM
How many programs in FCS have a first year head coach? What are your expectations for him this season?

We have former player Darren Rizzi taking over has this season. He brings with him a new DC and OC. Realistically speaking he has a big mess to clean up after Stowers. Between outdated plays and poor discipline among certain players he's got a ton of work to do. However, from what I saw at our spring game I think he's got the team headed in the right direction. At the very least they are more disciplined. I think this season will be a learning season on either side of the sidelines. With that being said I would expect us to go about 4-8. In 2009 I'll be looking for a .500 season.

How about any of you with a first year head coach, what are your expectations?

grizband
June 18th, 2008, 02:50 PM
While I cannot vouch for their expectations this year, both Western Carolina and Eastern Washington will begin the 2008 season with new coaches.

bostonspider
June 18th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Well UR has a first year HC in Mike London, and we are expecting a fair amount from him. I think most fans expect at least a trip to the playoffs, with hope to go pretty far in them. I would think 8-4 at the least would be our expectations, though UR's schedule is pretty rough.

Hoyadestroya85
June 18th, 2008, 06:44 PM
SIU has Dale Lennon

Fordham
June 18th, 2008, 08:18 PM
How many programs in FCS have a first year head coach? What are your expectations for him this season?

We have former player Darren Rizzi taking over has this season. He brings with him a new DC and OC. Realistically speaking he has a big mess to clean up after Stowers. Between outdated plays and poor discipline among certain players he's got a ton of work to do. However, from what I saw at our spring game I think he's got the team headed in the right direction. At the very least they are more disciplined. I think this season will be a learning season on either side of the sidelines. With that being said I would expect us to go about 4-8. In 2009 I'll be looking for a .500 season.

How about any of you with a first year head coach, what are your expectations?
good luck and will be interested to see you guys open up at Jack Coffey this year

Out of curiousity, who are your 4 in your '4 -8' prediction? xeyebrowx

EKU05
June 18th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Former Wake Forest DC Dean Hood inherits an EKU team that is very, very good on paper...but it's also a team that lost 21 seniors from the 2007 OVC champion squad. I personally have us at second just behind Eastern Illinois and just ahead of Jacksonville State. The good news is that both of those teams have to visit Roy Kidd Stadium this year.

Cobblestone
June 18th, 2008, 08:29 PM
good luck and will be interested to see you guys open up at Jack Coffey this year

Out of curiousity, who are your 4 in your '4 -8' prediction? xeyebrowx

Monmouth
Fordham
Brown
Northeastern

Screamin_Eagle174
June 18th, 2008, 10:57 PM
While I cannot vouch for their expectations this year, both Western Carolina and Eastern Washington will begin the 2008 season with new coaches.

We may have a new HC, but Baldwin is by no means new. He knows this offense and knows most of the players, especially Nichols. The only thing he's really changing up is our defensive schemes, which definitely needed some tweaking anyway. With the amount of talent we have returning, anything less than a BSC championship or co-championship and a playoff berth would be a disappointment in my eyes.

I just can't wait to see what kind of damage Nichols and Boyce can inflict on opposing defenses this year. Texas Tech is very similar to us in that respect, however also have a subpar D. Prospects will be great if we put up 21 or more against the Red Raiders.

slostang
June 18th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Chris Mussman at the University of North Dakota.

DetroitFlyer
June 19th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Dayton will have a new head coach this year, following the retirement of legendary coach Mike Kelly. The "new" coach is Rick Chamberlin. Let's just say he has been around for a while, and he has turned down head coaching jobs over the years to remain at Dayton.

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/chamberlin_rick00.html

And, a nice honor for Mike Kelly:

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/061808aaa.html

jimbo65
June 19th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Well UR has a first year HC in Mike London, and we are expecting a fair amount from him. I think most fans expect at least a trip to the playoffs, with hope to go pretty far in them. I would think 8-4 at the least would be our expectations, though UR's schedule is pretty rough.
Where did Coach Clawson go. Probably was posted earlier but either did not see it or forgot.

ur2k
June 19th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Where did Coach Clawson go. Probably was posted earlier but either did not see it or forgot.

Offensive coordinator for Tennessee

jimbo65
June 19th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Offensive coordinator for Tennessee

Thank You

813Jag
June 19th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Texas Southern has a new coach Johnnie Cole.

Aho_Old_Guy
June 19th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Sparky Woods Named New VMI Head Football Coach (http://www.vmikeydets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=43765&SPID=3895&DB_OEM_ID=9800&ATCLID=1423038)

Good luck to Sparky and the Keydets!

Eight Legger
June 19th, 2008, 07:31 PM
I expect us to win the national championship this year, and I think other Spider fans have similar expectations. I think Coach London is a perfect fit for this group and will help motivate them even further to reach that goal.