PDA

View Full Version : GSU QB's vs App

SoCon48
October 13th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Heard that Foster is on crutches (infection in foot) so far this week, but is supposed to start anyway on Saturday. Supposedly Smiley has been practicing.
Don't guess it matters much since both are good QB's.

blueballs
October 13th, 2005, 10:54 AM
The word I heard (which you should put ZERO stock in) was an infected blister on his ankle, which I would guess won't stop him from playing but the fact that he isn't practicing is NOT good for GSU.

My guess is that they are trying to keep it from getting banged around in normal day to day activity as well as football related activity to give it a chance to heal.

AppGuy04
October 13th, 2005, 12:08 PM
well, this is all heresay

but at the same time, gsu relies heavily on the run and with foster averaging 130 yards/game; if he is slowed by this "blister" that could be bad

SoCon48
October 13th, 2005, 02:23 PM
well, this is all heresay

but at the same time, gsu relies heavily on the run and with foster averaging 130 yards/game; if he is slowed by this "blister" that could be bad

Hearsay..from the GSU's radio network game announcer telephone interview at last night's Mountaineer Club meeting.

SoCon48
October 13th, 2005, 02:29 PM
The word I heard (which you should put ZERO stock in) was an infected blister on his ankle, which I would guess won't stop him from playing but the fact that he isn't practicing is NOT good for GSU.

My guess is that they are trying to keep it from getting banged around in normal day to day activity as well as football related activity to give it a chance to heal.

The GSU game announcer said "infection in his foot had that had become infected starting from the blister" rather than an infected blister. The former sounds more serious than the later, but who knows which scenario it really is.
Can't be that bad if he is expected to play on Saturday.

Not good for ASU either as it has to try to prepare for both QB's, as well as GSU's multifaceted offense, knowing nothing about Smiley as he played WR last year I believe.

AppGuy04
October 13th, 2005, 02:44 PM
GSU can't throw either way, we all know that

SoCon48
October 13th, 2005, 02:52 PM
GSU can't throw either way, we all know that

Except in the red zone.
When two backs average 130 yds apiece rushing, who would want to? :(

AppGuy04
October 13th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Except in the red zone.
When two backs average 130 yds apiece rushing, who would want to? :(

well, we know foster is somewhat hampered, so i wouldn't expect 130 out of him

SoCon48
October 13th, 2005, 03:01 PM
I hope he doesn't. But the fact that Smiley started 12 games last year at WR tells me he might can run, too.

Back to passing. GSU has scored only 1 less TD passing than we have. 7-6.
Pass efficency is almost the same (very good for both) 139-137.

GSU's red zone passing scares me.
Another thing, GSU gets great yardage on 1st down, thus seldom needing to throw. ASU coaches said last night that we have to stop them from getting good yardage on 1st down.

AppGuy04
October 13th, 2005, 03:04 PM
well, if thats key, then stack the line on first down

and if a wr is playing qb, its time for murrell to create some more havoc, blitz the **** out of him

McNeese75
October 13th, 2005, 05:06 PM

and if a wr is playing qb, its time for murrell to create some more havoc, blitz the **** out of him

Yeah, blitz a good option team, run a wide open reckless defense against them and see what happens :eek: :spank:

EagleRB
October 13th, 2005, 05:27 PM
You guys have it all wrong..... Foster was a WR last year and is playing QB this year.... Smiley has always been a QB in our system..... The only knock on Smiley is he isnt as fast as Foster..... But when you compare Smiley to Chaz (our starter last year) he is just a quick if not faster.... So get ready App it is going to be a long day come Saturday.....

Also Foster was a WR and kick return man for us last year..... Foster did play WR but look at the tape HE NEVER STARTED there..... We have 2 good ones in Teddy Craft and Reggie McCutchen (spelling my be wrong).....

SoCon48
October 13th, 2005, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=EagleRB]You guys have it all wrong..... Foster was a WR last year and is playing QB this year.... Smiley has always been a QB in our system..... The only knock on Smiley is he isnt as fast as Foster..... But when you compare Smiley to Chaz (our starter last year) he is just a quick if not faster.... So get ready App it is going to be a long day come Saturday.....

You're exactly right. I had glanced at the GSU DEPTH chart printed in the 2005 SoCon media guide for last year as a QB. He also had no stats at all in passing (although Chaz Williams, Hunter, Craft, Foster, and Cantrell did). He showed up in the stats as having 2 receptions..a 38 and a 17 yarder. Had 17 rushing attempts with one a TD. Smiley was on the '04 roster as a SB, and as you mentioned as a QB. Don't know the GSU system, but assume SB refers to slotback???

Whatever he did, he didn't throw any passes.

As far as to a long day...the GSU offense is awesome, but I like our chances better if Smiley plays the whole game. If they split the duties...it could be a very long day for App.

SoCon48
October 13th, 2005, 07:46 PM

You know, too, the DE's (as well as CB's) are key against the option..hopefully either one can l get to the pitchman. I liked the intercepted pitchout vs Citadel. !!!!!

Kill'em
October 14th, 2005, 12:55 AM

Western Carolina stacked the line and look what happened :eek:

Either QB will be successful when they throw to a receiver 20 yards behind the defense :D

SoCon48
October 14th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Western Carolina stacked the line and look what happened :eek:

Either QB will be successful when they throw to a receiver 20 yards behind the defense :D

Except when Lynch is roaming back there.

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2005, 07:29 AM
I think App has all the tools at the key positions to stop the option

we have the speed on the DE's to disrupt the pitch, and we have the DB's to control any trick passes they try to throw in

and we all know richie will show up, hope richardson can get going too

SoCon48
October 14th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Hope you're right. My fear. Their big back Austin. Can't key on Austin because of Foster's running ability. Middle of offensive line opens up the middle. Our secondary has to be looking at the plays he gets past our LB's for long gains. Leaves us vulnerable for the occasional pass, especially in the red zone.
WCU has a good defense, yet GSU played it like a violin.

I really don't see how any team can feel prepared for GSU, unless it has clearly superior talent. I'm just hoping that our stats are only equal thus far because maybe our schedule has been tougher. But that's a stretch.

The Rock has to be our edge. I do agree our DE's are great. Can they negate them with double teaming or running the middle?
Hope Richie shows up strong in the first half. It's hard to play catch up vs a team that can keep the ball as much as GSU does. Two TD's behind early vs GSU may as well be Four.

soweagle
October 14th, 2005, 08:22 AM
JCline-are you teaching sandbagging 101 at ASU this year? :)

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Hope you're right. My fear. Their big back Austin. Can't key on Austin because of Foster's running ability. Middle of offensive line opens up the middle. Our secondary has to be looking at the plays he gets past our LB's for long gains. Leaves us vulnerable for the occasional pass, especially in the red zone.
WCU has a good defense, yet GSU played it like a violin.

I really don't see how any team can feel prepared for GSU, unless it has clearly superior talent. I'm just hoping that our stats are only equal thus far because maybe our schedule has been tougher. But that's a stretch.

The Rock has to be our edge. I do agree our DE's are great. Can they negate them with double teaming or running the middle?
Hope Richie shows up strong in the first half. It's hard to play catch up vs a team that can keep the ball as much as GSU does. Two TD's behind early vs GSU may as well be Four.

I would have to agree that GSU is not a team you are gonna come from behind to beat. Anything has to be better than what my Alma did last night against Clemson, at home no less :mad:

SoCon48
October 14th, 2005, 10:46 AM
JCline-are you teaching sandbagging 101 at ASU this year? :)

Just being realistic after reading all the astonomical predictions over on the GSU message board. From reading them, ASU isn't even worthy of being in the same stadium with the football gods from Statesboro, much the less on the same playing field.

soweagle
October 14th, 2005, 11:01 AM
The statement was a joke. The smiley face is the first clue.
For the record, I am not confident about this game at all. We very seldom win in Boone (I think twice in mordern day) and our defense has too many problems on the front line for me to predict a GSU win. Ritchie Williams will give us problems and any team that utilizes a tight end always makes big plays against GSU. The offense has yet to play a defense with the ability ofyour defensive ends. Do y'all have a special formula for manufacturing defensive ends in Boone? :) -note the smiley face that is a joke and it is not to be interpreted by you as a slam on ASU-just to be clear.

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2005, 11:03 AM
For the record, I am not confident about this game at all. We very seldom win in Boone (I think twice in mordern day) and our defense has too many problems on the front line for me to predict a GSU win. Ritchie Williams will give us problems and any team that utilizes a tight end always makes big plays against GSU. The offense has yet to play a defense with the ability ofyour defensive ends. Do y'all have a special formula for manufacturing defensive ends in Boone? :) -note the smiley face that is a joke and it is not to be interpreted by you as a slam on ASU-just to be clear.

its just like any other hick town, those boys don't do nothing but eat and breathe football

SoCon48
October 14th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Then you have my apology.

blueballs
October 14th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Anybody who thinks that GSU is just going to roll into KBS and hang another 50 sumthin' to 7 on App is high on something that I want some of.

I watched the 1999 team, which was at least 3 TD's better than the current crop of Eagles, lose at KBS and get MOL throttled.

This game will be a growing experience for GSU's two relatively inexperienced QB's. If GSU wins the turnover stat I think they win, but that is far from a given and a very tall order.

I think Williams will have a big day, he is a SR and I'm sure feels the need for redemption against GSU. I just hope GSU can make a couple of more big plays than he does.

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Anybody who thinks that GSU is just going to roll into KBS and hang another 50 sumthin' to 7 on App is high on something that I want some of.

I watched the 1999 team, which was at least 3 TD's better than the current crop of Eagles, lose at KBS and get MOL throttled.

This game will be a growing experience for GSU's two relatively inexperienced QB's. If GSU wins the turnover stat I think they win, but that is far from a given and a very tall order.

I think Williams will have a big day, he is a SR and I'm sure feels the need for redemption against GSU. I just hope GSU can make a couple of more big plays than he does.

richie doesn't have the same numbers as last year, but they have more balance

i think he is one of the best qb's at this level and has some nfl potential

blueballs
October 14th, 2005, 12:31 PM
richie doesn't have the same numbers as last year, but they have more balance

... and that's a good thing, it makes them a better team- along with having Lynch back and an improved defense.

Seven Would Be Nice
October 14th, 2005, 12:34 PM
I ran into Foster the other day and I did not see any crutches. That was wednesday night. :)

see you in boone... through the TV :D

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2005, 12:34 PM
... and that's a good thing, it makes them a better team- along with having Lynch back and an improved defense.

honestly, i think lynch has been the difference this year, more than anything

and the feeling up here this year is that we have a chance to win the socon, last year we knew we were decent, but it feels more like a championship season this year, just as far as the attitudes of the fans, and especially the turnouts at KBS

SoCon48
October 14th, 2005, 02:46 PM

The margin shouldn't be as bad as LAST year, but the problem is, GSU can roll up big numbers against anyone if they get rolling.
Even when our offense scores a lot, the opposing team gets tons of possession time. Defense tires and the offense says, "hell we just scored, why aren't we ahead?" :eek:

AppGuy04
October 14th, 2005, 03:50 PM
It's Black Saturday, lets just focus on playing our game and we will come out on top.

TSX Analyst
October 14th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Heard that Foster is on crutches (infection in foot) so far this week, but is supposed to start anyway on Saturday. Supposedly Smiley has been practicing.
Don't guess it matters much since both are good QB's.

What actually happened is he got a cut on his foot from when he got taped. The cut got infected and he has been on crutches. He will play this weekend but look for him to be a little slower, I wouldn't say a lot slower but I would say a little.

I was told this from a good source down in Statesboro and I believe them. They have been credible for me over the years.

GaSouthern
October 14th, 2005, 09:21 PM
LETS GO EAGLES AND BEAT THAT APPY ASS!

SoCon48
October 15th, 2005, 08:16 AM
What actually happened is he got a cut on his foot from when he got taped. The cut got infected and he has been on crutches. He will play this weekend but look for him to be a little slower, I wouldn't say a lot slower but I would say a little.

I was told this from a good source down in Statesboro and I believe them. They have been credible for me over the years.

That prognosis sounds very much in-line with what the GSU game announcer said in the Mountaineer Club interview on Wednesday night.

A week should be plenty of time for that to have healed.