PDA

View Full Version : Sid Hartman Says....Wofford at Minnesota

Gil Dobie
October 13th, 2005, 09:04 AM
I don't know if this has been discussed yet, but the Minneapolis Star-Trib columnists Sid Hartman mentioned Wofford at Minnesota next year.

Dungeonjoe, are you coming to the game?

One of the Gophers nonconference football opponents next season will be Division I-AA Wofford College in Spartanburg, S.C. Wofford lost to West Virginia 35-7 on Sept. 10.

ngineer
October 13th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Wow--DJ better start praying now. ;) Sounds like a bit much to bite off, but the challenge is unbelievable. Will the Gophers have their big back, back next year?

Gil Dobie
October 13th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Will the Gophers have their big back, back next year?

Maroney is a Jr, but rumor is he will go pro. Russell is just as good, the Gophers are strong at RB.

dungeonjoe
October 13th, 2005, 01:57 PM
That's news to me! Minnesota... that's near Canada right? :)

Gil Dobie
October 13th, 2005, 02:06 PM
That's news to me! Minnesota... that's near Canada right? :)

It's close enough to Canada to attract a certain Cat that has been missing in action on AGS. ;)

They play in a dome, so it will be 72 degrees, with no rain or snow on the field.

SpiritCymbal
October 13th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Got a link to the story?

Gil Dobie
October 13th, 2005, 07:56 PM
There is only that one paragraph from the one and only Sid Hartman. He has "close personal friends" that he gets the information from.

Free Registration

Sid Hartman Minneapolis Star-Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/stories/503/5666214-2.html)

blur2005
October 13th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Kind of an odd matchup. Usually I-As play I-AA teams in some proximity. I'd argue that most people in Minnesota don't even know what state Wofford is in. That's a long trip for a I-AA for a regular season game. But they're obviously being well-paid for it, I'd guess.

dungeonjoe
October 13th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Kind of an odd matchup. Usually I-As play I-AA teams in some proximity. I'd argue that most people in Minnesota don't even know what state Wofford is in. That's a long trip for a I-AA for a regular season game. But they're obviously being well-paid for it, I'd guess.

Wofford AD said on the radio a few weeks ago the terriers were going all over the map for matchups; perhaps this is what he meant.

Gil Dobie
October 14th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Hartman is a strange... stranger... and strangestrangestrange bird. Who knows? Don't bank on what he says.

You doubt the mighty Sid :(

You must be one of those Genius's Sid talks about ;)

bkrownd
October 17th, 2005, 04:05 AM
Kind of an odd matchup. Usually I-As play I-AA teams in some proximity. I'd argue that most people in Minnesota don't even know what state Wofford is in.

Trust me, not even 1% of Minnesota has heard of Wofford, and a few haven't even heard of South Carolina.

AmsterBison
October 17th, 2005, 04:13 AM
That would be a bizarre pick... Northern Iowa (UNI), North Dakota State (NDSU), and South Dakota State (SDSU) would sell at least a couple thousand fans and wouldn't have to be flown in.

However, the Gophers probably know what's best for the Gophers. Maybe they don't want to raise the profile of teams that recruit Minnesota high schools?