Tentative 2006-08
Appalachian State
Furman
The Citadel
Elon
Western Carolina
Georgia Southern
Chattanooga

I think it helped Wofford to play GSU early this year (obviously). This proposed alignment has the Terriers with two of the historical SoCon frontrunners very early in the season...maybe game 2 and 4.

We speak of strength of schedule each year; does timing of opponents mean that much in I-AA?

rokamortis
October 13th, 2005, 06:26 AM
I don't think timing would have any affect on the strength of schedule.

dungeonjoe
October 13th, 2005, 06:31 AM
I don't think timing would have any affect on the strength of schedule.

I don't either Rock, but is it better to face your stronger opponents earlier or later or does it matter?

rokamortis
October 13th, 2005, 06:35 AM
I'd rather have them spread out throughout the season. I guess someone could argue that it is harder to have all of the hard games in a row is harder, but that isn't really something you can quantify.

OL FU
October 13th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Looks like Wofford has GSU when they typically play FU and Wofford took FU's usual last game against Chattanooga. I wonder if that means FU plays the Eagles earlier. As far as timing, the only thing I don't like is FU playing a conference game before the third or fourth game of the year. And this year is a good example of why :)

blueballs
October 13th, 2005, 07:46 AM
There is absolutely NO question that Wofford's getting GSU early in the year has greatly helped them in two wins over GSU in 2002 and 2005 when GSU was breaking a new QB starter.

I see the proposed change as hurting the ankle biters. They will see ASU and FU back to back, and GSU after the option offense is running more efficiently. It will be much harder for them to win the conference with this schedule.

As for GSU/FU. I hope they keep that game as the last conference game on the schedule for GSU. Just about every year in recent memory, save for 2003, the conference title and playoff seeding has been riding on it. It really amps up the rivalry.

Perhaps FU is giving up its open date prior to GSU???

SoCon48
October 13th, 2005, 08:21 AM
From Spartanburg Herald Journal:

Wofford's order of opponents in the Southern Conference:
Since 1997
Georgia Southern
Chattanooga
Elon (VMI)
Western Carolina
Appalachian State
The Citadel
Furman

Tentative 2006-08
Appalachian State
Furman
The Citadel
Elon
Western Carolina
Georgia Southern
Chattanooga

I think it helped Wofford to play GSU early this year (obviously). This proposed alignment has the Terriers with two of the historical SoCon frontrunners very early in the season...maybe game 2 and 4.

We speak of strength of schedule each year; does timing of opponents mean that much in I-AA?

Sure, timing means a great deal. Playing formidable conference opponents at the beginning of the season instead of warming up with a patsy or two while the team is trying to jell and smooth out its offense and defense certainly could and often does have an effect, not to mention gaining a new QB, etc. some game experience without jeopardizing their won-lost record/rankings early on.

Also, preparing for back to back games against teams 3 weeks in a row who have been national championship contenders 8 of the last 9 years is a hardship most if any teams don't have to endure. (ASU vs Furman, Georgia Southern, and Wofford) In addition Furman faces Georgia Southern and Wofford back to back. Elon faces GSU, Furman, Wofford, and App 3 of 4 weeks.

AppGuy04
October 13th, 2005, 08:25 AM
I think if a team is borderline making the playoffs then scheduling can help

If that team, say Wofford, beats GSU and App State down the stretch, I would think they would have a better chance at getting in, much like the NCAA tourney in basketball, they look at the last 10 games or so

McNeese75
October 13th, 2005, 09:10 AM
I would say being able to play GSU early in the season would always be better than later. Their offense is prone to putting the ball on the carpet early in the season as opposed to later (like now :eek: ) when the wheels start turning.

DotCat
October 13th, 2005, 11:51 AM
WCU's order of opponents changed this year, or maybe even last year. Having Furman first was a blessing as we have sucked ever since.

Saint3333
October 13th, 2005, 01:21 PM
What has caused this change? If they're changing schedules around could we stop playing the Furman and GSU games back-to-back? My ideal schedule would be

Citadel
UTC
Furman
Wofford
GSU
Elon
WCU

So basically just switch the Wofford and GSU games and move up UTC.

OL FU
October 13th, 2005, 01:41 PM

As for GSU/FU. I hope they keep that game as the last conference game on the schedule for GSU.

And Furman plays two more after GSU Wofford and then Chattannooga. Since Wofford's last game will be Chattanooga maybe the very last game for FU will be GSU.

SoCon48
October 13th, 2005, 03:04 PM
I'd rather have them spread out throughout the season. I guess someone could argue that it is harder to have all of the hard games in a row is harder, but that isn't really something you can quantify.

Quantify? Maybe not, but only an idiot coach would say he wanted all his topughest opponents back to back.

AppGuy04
October 13th, 2005, 03:06 PM
tough games are hard to figure out though

nobody thought that the wcu game would be "tough" for furman, but **** happens

chattanoogamocs
October 13th, 2005, 03:32 PM
from the Chattanooga perspective, I just always hate having to start the SoCon portion of the scheudle with GSU every year (especially since it usually follows directly after playing Memphis)...considering the Mocs history versus the Eagles, it always starts off each years SoCon slate with big....thud. :(