PDA

View Full Version : SoCon - Week 1

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 15th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Let's get some predictions going. Why not?

App. State @ LSU - I can't wait for this game almost as much as I cannot wait for GSU-Georgia. One thing that I think works against App. is that LSU will not take them lightly. In other words, the score will look a lot like what it did in 2005, except that there will be more points. LSU 41, ASU 20

Georgia Southern @ Georgia - I would like to lose by no more than 25 in this game. Hatcher will have the guys motivated and ready to play. The question will be whether or not the inexperienced O-line can protect the quarterback. The last two times we played them we did not match up well at the LOS but it didn't matter as much because we had quarterbacks who could run circles around their defensive front. UGA 35, GSU 17.

UT Chattanooga @ Oklahoma - I don't think OU is going to be a supoerpower this year, but this game will probably get ugly. OU 38, UTC 10.

Mars Hill @ Furman - Bobby Lamb gets the Furps started out on the right foot. Furman 31, Mars Hill 7.

Presbyterian @ Wofford - Wofford takes care of business. Wofford 27, Presbyterian 7.

Shorter College @ Western Carolina (Thursday of week 1) - Wagner starts his career at WCU with a win to raise the morale for the team and fans. Western 31, SC 3.

Webber International @ The Citadel - It'll look almost as ugly as last year. The Citadel 52, Webber 6.

West Georgia @ Samford (Thursday of week 1) - This will be an evenly matched game, but I think Samford comes out on top. Samford 27, UWG 24.

And Finally, the game of the week...

Richmond @ Elon - Elon will be improved on both sides of the ball and at home I give them the edge. Elon 31, Richmond 28.

catamount man
June 15th, 2008, 07:16 PM
LSU 38 APP STATE 20
FURMAN 41 MHC 0
EL CID 77 WEBBER 7
GSU 14 UGA 35
MOCS 7 OKLAHOMA 62
WCU 49 SHORTER 7
SAMFORD 31 UWG 17
ELON 15 RICHMOND 14
WOFF 35 PRESBYTERIAN 13

GSUjack
June 15th, 2008, 07:54 PM

App. State @ LSU - I can't wait for this game almost as much as I cannot wait for GSU-Georgia. One thing that I think works against App. is that LSU will not take them lightly. In other words, the score will look a lot like what it did in 2005, except that there will be more points. LSU 41, ASU 20

Georgia Southern @ Georgia - I would like to lose by no more than 25 in this game. Hatcher will have the guys motivated and ready to play. The question will be whether or not the inexperienced O-line can protect the quarterback. The last two times we played them we did not match up well at the LOS but it didn't matter as much because we had quarterbacks who could run circles around their defensive front. UGA 35, GSU 17.

UT Chattanooga @ Oklahoma - I don't think OU is going to be a supoerpower this year, but this game will probably get ugly. OU 38, UTC 10.

Mars Hill @ Furman - Bobby Lamb gets the Furps started out on the right foot. Furman 31, Mars Hill 7.

Presbyterian @ Wofford - Wofford takes care of business. Wofford 27, Presbyterian 7.

Shorter College @ Western Carolina (Thursday of week 1) - Wagner starts his career at WCU with a win to raise the morale for the team and fans. Western 31, SC 3.

Webber International @ The Citadel - It'll look almost as ugly as last year. The Citadel 52, Webber 6.

West Georgia @ Samford (Thursday of week 1) - This will be an evenly matched game, but I think Samford comes out on top. Samford 27, UWG 24.

Richmond @ Elon - Elon will be improved on both sides of the ball and at home I give them the edge. Elon 31, Richmond 28.

Amen!

WCU LawCat
June 15th, 2008, 08:13 PM
NEW LOGO RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

catamount man
June 15th, 2008, 08:16 PM

Amen to that brother!!! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

BeauFoster
June 15th, 2008, 08:23 PM
LSU 38 APP STATE 20
FURMAN 41 MHC 0
EL CID 77 WEBBER 7
GSU 14 UGA 35
MOCS 7 OKLAHOMA 62
WCU 49 SHORTER 7
SAMFORD 31 UWG 17
ELON 15 RICHMOND 14
WOFF 35 PRESBYTERIAN 13

If there are less than 30 total points scored in that game then I'll be a monkey's uncle. I see the final of that game more in the 30-27 or so range. Elon has a pretty strong offense and Richmond was able to score on App last year. Several of the UR fans have said that the running back behind Hightower is just about as good. A 55 point over-under on that game sounds about right to me (just my opinion!)

catamount man
June 15th, 2008, 09:08 PM
If there are less than 30 total points scored in that game then I'll be a monkey's uncle. I see the final of that game more in the 30-27 or so range. Elon has a pretty strong offense and Richmond was able to score on App last year. Several of the UR fans have said that the running back behind Hightower is just about as good. A 55 point over-under on that game sounds about right to me (just my opinion!)

Elon 35, Richmond 34. Happy? xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

All kidding aside, it'll be a good one.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

CID1990
June 15th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Who the Hell is Shorter College?

Has WCU taken the "Biggest Cupcake on Schedule" award away from El Cid?

uofmman1122
June 15th, 2008, 09:52 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Rowdy's got a lot of faith in the SoCon.

I picked Furman, Wofford, The Citadel, WCU, and Samford.

ASU and GSU will more than likely both lose, I think Richmond edges past Elon, and Chatty will get pounded.

elcid96
June 15th, 2008, 10:08 PM
App. State @ LSU - This will be a good game. I expect the game to be tied at half and a big 3rd quarter by LSU for a score of 45-35.

Georgia Southern @ Georgia - Georgia is a pre-season pick to win the championship. GSU lost their best player (foster) and will suffer a huge defeat here. 35-3

UT Chattanooga @ Oklahoma - This will be so ugly and calls will be made to stop playing FCS schools. OU 63- Chatt 3

Mars Hill @ Furman - Furman will not start strong, but will win this game. This will be what they need to get going. Furman 42 - Mars 28

Presbyterian @ Wofford - Good wofford team taking care of the prebs. Due to the run, there will not be enough time to run up the score. Wofford 45 - Preb 7

Shorter College @ Western Carolina (Thursday of week 1) - This may be the western win this year with another possible coming at Samford later on. Western wins huge here and becomes too over confident, but they need a win regardless. Western 35 - Shorter 0

Webber International @ The Citadel - Crys to play a better first game will be screamed again when the score reaches 70. It will be a nice way to open the new stadium. Citadel 70 - Webber 7

West Georgia @ Samford (Thursday of week 1) - Hard to tell about Samford yet. Should be a good game. No prediction

Richmond @ Elon - Elon proves why the SOCON produces the most FCS champions and wins this one in the 4th qtr. Elon 28, Richmond 24.

CID1990
June 15th, 2008, 10:13 PM
App. State @ LSU - This will be a good game. I expect the game to be tied at half and a big 3rd quarter by LSU for a score of 45-35.

Georgia Southern @ Georgia - Georgia is a pre-season pick to win the championship. GSU lost their best player (foster) and will suffer a huge defeat here. 35-3

UT Chattanooga @ Oklahoma - This will be so ugly and calls will be made to stop playing FCS schools. OU 63- Chatt 3

Mars Hill @ Furman - Furman will not start strong, but will win this game. This will be what they need to get going. Furman 42 - Mars 28

Presbyterian @ Wofford - Good wofford team taking care of the prebs. Due to the run, there will not be enough time to run up the score. Wofford 45 - Preb 7

Shorter College @ Western Carolina (Thursday of week 1) - This may be the western win this year with another possible coming at Samford later on. Western wins huge here and becomes too over confident, but they need a win regardless. Western 35 - Shorter 0

Webber International @ The Citadel - Crys to play a better first game will be screamed again when the score reaches 70. It will be a nice way to open the new stadium. Citadel 70 - Webber 7
West Georgia @ Samford (Thursday of week 1) - Hard to tell about Samford yet. Should be a good game. No prediction

Richmond @ Elon - Elon proves why the SOCON produces the most FCS champions and wins this one in the 4th qtr. Elon 28, Richmond 24.

I am one of those people screaming. We need to open the season with either a Patriot League or CAA team. Heck, even CSU is a better option.

CID1990
June 15th, 2008, 10:16 PM
LSU 38 APP STATE 20
FURMAN 41 MHC 0
EL CID 77 WEBBER 7GSU 14 UGA 35
MOCS 7 OKLAHOMA 62
WCU 49 SHORTER 7
SAMFORD 31 UWG 17
ELON 15 RICHMOND 14
WOFF 35 PRESBYTERIAN 13

Dude, you didn't see them play last year. The only way they score a TD is if we leave the field AND let them put 15 players on offense.

PaladinFan
June 15th, 2008, 10:57 PM

I'm not completely convinced Mars Hill could hang four touchdowns on Furman's Mock Trial Team, much less the starting defense.

FCS Go!
June 15th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I'm not completely convinced Mars Hill could hang four touchdowns on Furman's Mock Trial Team, much less the starting defense.

I agree, they sound pretty good:

http://ps.furman.edu/engaged/mocktrial/

AppStFan76
June 16th, 2008, 11:44 AM
I'm suprised there are more people who think GSU has a shot at winning at Georgia than think App does at LSU!

I voted neither would have a win in week 1.

But of the two, I think App has the better shot!

catamount man
June 16th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Who the Hell is Shorter College?

Has WCU taken the "Biggest Cupcake on Schedule" award away from El Cid?

In 3 years of playing NAIA football, Shorter has a record of 15-17. They are LIGHT YEARS better than Webber International so no, you still have the cupcake award.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

CID1990
June 16th, 2008, 05:59 PM
In 3 years of playing NAIA football, Shorter has a record of 15-17. They are LIGHT YEARS better than Webber International so no, you still have the cupcake award.

OK.

elcid96
June 16th, 2008, 06:18 PM

Cupcake Award it is. xthumbsupx xsmiley_wix

TheValleyRaider
June 16th, 2008, 06:56 PM

Amen to that brother!!! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

That's WCU's new logo?

Pretty sweet xthumbsupx

Where could I find more about it online?

Better question: does this mean you're replacing "The Cats" on you helmet come the fall?

appsfan
June 16th, 2008, 07:29 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Rowdy's got a lot of faith in the SoCon.

I picked Furman, Wofford, The Citadel, WCU, and Samford.

ASU and GSU will more than likely both lose, I think Richmond edges past Elon, and Chatty will get pounded.

That's the way I voted too.

catamount man
June 16th, 2008, 08:32 PM
That's WCU's new logo?

Pretty sweet xthumbsupx

Where could I find more about it online?

Better question: does this mean you're replacing "The Cats" on you helmet come the fall?

The logo leaked out and it has NOT been officially approved by WCU yet, but I couldn't help myself. Hopefully, approval will come soon and yes, "THE CATS" will be like Kent Briggs, GONE.

The Cats
June 16th, 2008, 08:36 PM
....... and yes, "THE CATS" will be like Kent Briggs, GONE.

Lets not be too hasty on getting rid of "The Cats....xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox

catamount man
June 16th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Lets not be too hasty on getting rid of "The Cats....xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox

Sorry dude, that logo is gone.

catamount man
June 16th, 2008, 09:34 PM
The logo leaked out and it has NOT been officially approved by WCU yet, but I couldn't help myself. Hopefully, approval will come soon and yes, "THE CATS" will be like Kent Briggs, GONE.

Just got word from a WCU source that the logo has been given the thumbs up by our administration. Hopefully, it will be released shortly.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

T-Dog
June 16th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I voted for everyone besides GaSo and UTC. After I gave up faith two weeks before Michigan last year, NEVER AGAIN will I doubt the Neers. We might lose, but I'm picking them to WIN.

App. State @ LSU - Again, I'm never picking against my team again after switching my pick two weeks before Michigan. And I'm going to be there to witness it. Travel and tickets logistics are taken care of. xthumbsupx Offense will be on display in the Bayou sun and by hook or crook and a miracle or two or ten, App will get it done. ASU 38 LSU 36 xprayx xprayx xprayx

Geogia Southern @ Georgia - It all depends. What will Georgia have to do to pump themselves up? Wear black? Whole team celebrate a TD? Who knows what lengths Georgia will go to? But the facts remain, even with Foster, Georgia will most likely win comfortably. But I still think GaSo makes a good showing of it. xnodx UGA 35 GSU 17

UT Chattanooga @ Oklahoma - This is gonna get uglier than a Rosie O'Donnell striptease. xoopsx Oklahome might not be top contenders for the BCS, but they're still Oklahoma...and UTC is still UTC with Bobby Allison at the helm. xnonono2x OU 56 UTC 10

Mars Hill @ Furman - We saw the winning attitude emerge late in the season for the Purple Knights last year. Can they start off where they left off? Even if they don't, they should still win. xthumbsupx FU 42 MHC 7

Presbyterian @ Wofford - Wofford lost a lot to graduation. but the wishbone should be good enough for the ankle biters. xrulesx WC 35 PC 7

Shorter College @ Western Carolina (Thursday of week 1) - A new attitude, a new logo, a bunch more new stuff in the Whee and a Thursday night kickoff to the season. Can WCU turn it around or will Shorter play the part of Carson Newman and spoil everything? xeyebrowx Very doubtful under most circumstances. This will give WCU fans something to show up and cheer for...at least for one week. :D WCU 48 SC 0

Webber International @ The Citadel - El Cit's traditional abusing of Webber to start the season. Webber is playing the part of fourth-class private who just arrived at El Cit and a tad out of shape...not a pretty sight. xsmhx xnonox El Cit 66 WI 7

West Georgia @ Samford (Thursday of week 1) - GaSo had troubles early with WG last year in the opener before the Foster machine ran over them. However Samford has no one even close to Foster on their roster, but in a new and scary place, Samford needs to come out and show some bite before the weekly butt-kickings begin. xsmashx SU 28 WG 14

Richmond @ Elon - Should be a humdinger. Elon's now got a good team to fill up that nice stadium of there's. Now they go at it right out of the gate. The loss of Hightower will be felt for Spidy and Elon returns all their potent offensive threats. Can their defense step up? I think they'll do enough this week. xpeacex Elon 45 UR 42

TheValleyRaider
June 16th, 2008, 11:18 PM
and yes, "THE CATS" will be like Kent Briggs, GONE.

Hopefully! That's a major upgrade possibility for WCU's helmet xnodx xnodx xnodx

catamount man
June 17th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I voted for everyone besides GaSo and UTC. After I gave up faith two weeks before Michigan last year, NEVER AGAIN will I doubt the Neers. We might lose, but I'm picking them to WIN.

App. State @ LSU - Again, I'm never picking against my team again after switching my pick two weeks before Michigan. And I'm going to be there to witness it. Travel and tickets logistics are taken care of. xthumbsupx Offense will be on display in the Bayou sun and by hook or crook and a miracle or two or ten, App will get it done. ASU 38 LSU 36 xprayx xprayx xprayx

Geogia Southern @ Georgia - It all depends. What will Georgia have to do to pump themselves up? Wear black? Whole team celebrate a TD? Who knows what lengths Georgia will go to? But the facts remain, even with Foster, Georgia will most likely win comfortably. But I still think GaSo makes a good showing of it. xnodx UGA 35 GSU 17

UT Chattanooga @ Oklahoma - This is gonna get uglier than a Rosie O'Donnell striptease. xoopsx Oklahome might not be top contenders for the BCS, but they're still Oklahoma...and UTC is still UTC with Bobby Allison at the helm. xnonono2x OU 56 UTC 10

Mars Hill @ Furman - We saw the winning attitude emerge late in the season for the Purple Knights last year. Can they start off where they left off? Even if they don't, they should still win. xthumbsupx FU 42 MHC 7

Presbyterian @ Wofford - Wofford lost a lot to graduation. but the wishbone should be good enough for the ankle biters. xrulesx WC 35 PC 7

Shorter College @ Western Carolina (Thursday of week 1) - A new attitude, a new logo, a bunch more new stuff in the Whee and a Thursday night kickoff to the season. Can WCU turn it around or will Shorter play the part of Carson Newman and spoil everything? xeyebrowx Very doubtful under most circumstances. This will give WCU fans something to show up and cheer for...at least for one week. :D WCU 48 SC 0

Webber International @ The Citadel - El Cit's traditional abusing of Webber to start the season. Webber is playing the part of fourth-class private who just arrived at El Cit and a tad out of shape...not a pretty sight. xsmhx xnonox El Cit 66 WI 7

West Georgia @ Samford (Thursday of week 1) - GaSo had troubles early with WG last year in the opener before the Foster machine ran over them. However Samford has no one even close to Foster on their roster, but in a new and scary place, Samford needs to come out and show some bite before the weekly butt-kickings begin. xsmashx SU 28 WG 14

Richmond @ Elon - Should be a humdinger. Elon's now got a good team to fill up that nice stadium of there's. Now they go at it right out of the gate. The loss of Hightower will be felt for Spidy and Elon returns all their potent offensive threats. Can their defense step up? I think they'll do enough this week. xpeacex Elon 45 UR 42

You mean Rodney Allison? :D :D :D xthumbsupx

catamount man
June 17th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Hopefully! That's a major upgrade possibility for WCU's helmet xnodx xnodx xnodx

Don't know exactly what the new helmet may be. I've seen a purple shell, a white shell, and a gold shell with the new cat head logo. Maybe Wagner will go the Oregon route and use all 3. All I know is Dennis Wagner and his staff in the last 5 months have made inroads and contacts with more recruits, coaches, and high schools than the previous staff probably did in the entire 6 years they were in Cullowhee.

August 28, even though we are playing an NAIA team, will be a festive day. For the 1st time in a long time, we tailgaters will look forward to going into the stadium to watch our team play. The tailgating in Cullowhee is some of the best, but for the last 2 years, that's all we've had. It'll be nice to actually celebrate a home win after a tailgate as we've only done that 3 times in the last 2 years and we've not won on the road since 2005.

As you can tell, Catamount fans are hungry and READY!!! xthumbsupx

OL FU
June 17th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Winners - -

Furman
Wofford
Western
Citadel
Samford.

Most interesting game is certainly Elon and Richmond. I would love to pick Elon and think it will be a heck of a game. I also think Richmond will be one of the best teams in the country this year.

Sir William
June 17th, 2008, 08:25 AM

I love the old helmet with "The Cats" decal. Reminds me of the days when nobody took Western lightly...when Western was very good...when Western Carolina and "winning football" were synonymous...when Bob Waters was at the helm.

Great man, great coach. Broke Furman's heart more than once.

catamount man
June 17th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I love the old helmet with "The Cats" decal. Reminds me of the days when nobody took Western lightly...when Western was very good...when Western Carolina and "winning football" were synonymous...when Bob Waters was at the helm.

That version of "THE CATS" logo was awesome and was actually used through the 1998 season. I have an actual "the cats" helmet that Brad Hoover autographed.

Bob Waters. Man, can't believe it's been 19 years since coach passed on. He was great no doubt.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Appaholic
June 17th, 2008, 08:35 AM

Good.....thought it was worse than App St's logo circa '83-'84........and that's saying alot.......

OL FU
June 17th, 2008, 08:37 AM
That version of "THE CATS" logo was awesome and was actually used through the 1998 season. I have an actual "the cats" helmet that Brad Hoover autographed.

Bob Waters. Man, can't believe it's been 19 years since coach passed on. He was great no doubt.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Waters created the first football SoCon team I hated for a reason other than being named the Citadelxnodx xthumbsupx

catamount man
June 17th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Waters created the first football SoCon team I hated for a reason other than being named the Citadelxnodx xthumbsupx

You furples can't let December 10, 1983 go can ya? Got it on VHS in case you need a copy. HA!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

OL FU
June 17th, 2008, 09:32 AM
You furples can't let December 10, 1983 go can ya? Got it on VHS in case you need a copy. HA!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

xeyebrowx Well it was a long time agoxthumbsupx But You got your moment:p

Actually that wasn't the only game that caused the hatredxsmiley_wix

However, over the next 25 years you have been forgiven, for the most part:)

Sir William
June 17th, 2008, 09:52 AM
You furples can't let December 10, 1983 go can ya?

OH, THE HUMANITY!

terrierbob
June 17th, 2008, 12:27 PM
So what happened in '83? We were still NAIAing it.

The Cats
June 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM
So what happened in '83? We were still NAIAing it.

The 1983 WCU Football Team

".......the 1983 football team, which went 11-3-1 on the year and was led by legendary coach Bob Waters. The Cats started the season with loses to ACC teams Clemson and Wake Forest and looked to be headed to a 0-3 start. However, Western staged what has been described as possibly the most dramatic comeback ever by a WCU football team at the time. Trailing East Tennessee State 16-6 with 4:31 left to play. Western started a drive on its own nice yard line and drove 91 yards in eight plays. The drive was capped with the "Immaculate Reception II" when Eric Rasheed hauled in a 37-yard Willie Perkins pass, which had been tipped twice by ETSU defenders. Western then converted the two-point conversion to make the score 16-14 and recovered the on-side kick with 2:25 left. Six plays later Dean Biasucci kicked a 43-yard field goal with 32 seconds left to provide the final 17-16 margin. The Catamounts went on to win 11 of its next 12 games with its lone non-victory being a 17-17 tie versus Furman in Cullowhee. However, Western avenged that tie with a 14-7 win over the Paladins in Greenville in the national semifinals. The Cats would not have faced Furman had it not been for two other amazing comebacks. Although the ETSU comeback had been labeled the most dramatic comeback in WCU history, the Cats' first round win over Colgate at Whitmire Stadium in the 1983 NCAA I-AA playoffs was tabbed one, if not THE greatest comeback in Western's first 50 years of football. The Red Raiders led at half time 23-0 and amassed 281 yards of total offense. The second half was a dominating performance by WCU as it held Colgate to just 91 yards of total offense and four first downs en route to the 24-23 win. The following week, Western fought back from two deficits and broke up a pass in the waning moments to escape with a 28-21 win at Holy Cross. The Catamounts had their run come to an end as Southern Illinois won the NCAA I-AA championship with a 43-7 decision. The 1983 team featured 11 All-Southern Conference selections including Biasucci, Mark Buffamoyer, Melvin Dorsey, Tiger Green, Bernard Jones, Ricky Pate, Rasheed, Steve Taylor, Richard Dukes, Jeff Gilbert and Steve Marshall. Greene and Rasheed additionally earned All-America honors that season, while several member of the team would go on to earn All-America recognition before their career ended at WCU, including Buffamoyer, Alonzo Carmichael, Louis Cooper, Steve Kornegay and Clyde Simmons. Inducted in 2003"

OL FU
June 17th, 2008, 12:53 PM
The 1983 WCU Football Team

".......the 1983 football team, which went 11-3-1 on the year and was led by legendary coach Bob Waters. The Cats started the season with loses to ACC teams Clemson and Wake Forest and looked to be headed to a 0-3 start. However, Western staged what has been described as possibly the most dramatic comeback ever by a WCU football team at the time. Trailing East Tennessee State 16-6 with 4:31 left to play. Western started a drive on its own nice yard line and drove 91 yards in eight plays. The drive was capped with the "Immaculate Reception II" when Eric Rasheed hauled in a 37-yard Willie Perkins pass, which had been tipped twice by ETSU defenders. Western then converted the two-point conversion to make the score 16-14 and recovered the on-side kick with 2:25 left. Six plays later Dean Biasucci kicked a 43-yard field goal with 32 seconds left to provide the final 17-16 margin. The Catamounts went on to win 11 of its next 12 games with its lone non-victory being a 17-17 tie versus Furman in Cullowhee. However, Western avenged that tie with a 14-7 win over the Paladins in Greenville in the national semifinals. The Cats would not have faced Furman had it not been for two other amazing comebacks. Although the ETSU comeback had been labeled the most dramatic comeback in WCU history, the Cats' first round win over Colgate at Whitmire Stadium in the 1983 NCAA I-AA playoffs was tabbed one, if not THE greatest comeback in Western's first 50 years of football. The Red Raiders led at half time 23-0 and amassed 281 yards of total offense. The second half was a dominating performance by WCU as it held Colgate to just 91 yards of total offense and four first downs en route to the 24-23 win. The following week, Western fought back from two deficits and broke up a pass in the waning moments to escape with a 28-21 win at Holy Cross. The Catamounts had their run come to an end as Southern Illinois won the NCAA I-AA championship with a 43-7 decision. The 1983 team featured 11 All-Southern Conference selections including Biasucci, Mark Buffamoyer, Melvin Dorsey, Tiger Green, Bernard Jones, Ricky Pate, Rasheed, Steve Taylor, Richard Dukes, Jeff Gilbert and Steve Marshall. Greene and Rasheed additionally earned All-America honors that season, while several member of the team would go on to earn All-America recognition before their career ended at WCU, including Buffamoyer, Alonzo Carmichael, Louis Cooper, Steve Kornegay and Clyde Simmons. Inducted in 2003"

Memories, may be beautiful and yet....xlolx

That really did suckxmadx Especially since you guys were taken apart in the NC gamexrolleyesx That made me feel even worsexbawlingx

pete4256
June 17th, 2008, 01:31 PM
App. State @ LSU - App executes like a I-AA champion but has a decided talent disadvantage. LSU 31, ASU 14

Georgia Southern @ Georgia - UGA takes advantage of a couple of GSU turnovers and goes up big early, the Eagles tack on a couple of late TDs to make this one look closer than it is. UGA 45, GSU 17.

UT Chattanooga @ Oklahoma - OU 41, UTC 3.

Mars Hill @ Furman -Furman 38, Mars Hill 7.

Presbyterian @ Wofford - Wofford 27, Presbyterian 14.

Shorter College @ Western Carolina (Thursday of week 1) - Western 45, SC 21.

Webber International @ The Citadel - The Citadel 56, Webber 6.

West Georgia @ Samford (Thursday of week 1) - Samford 27, UWG 14.

Richmond @ Elon - Not as big of a shocker as you'd think. Elon 35, Richmond 24.

Spider
June 17th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Winners - -

Furman
Wofford
Western
Citadel
Samford.

Most interesting game is certainly Elon and Richmond. I would love to pick Elon and think it will be a heck of a game. I also think Richmond will be one of the best teams in the country this year.
I like the way you think OL and I think you are right.......

The Cats
June 17th, 2008, 05:11 PM

While its nice to have a new outlook, new logo, new coach, new everything in Cullowhee, there should ALSO be something that ties us to the great days of Bob Waters.

What better way than to bring back the traditional Catamount purple helmet with gold letters - "The Cats".

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wcar/galleries/Football_Helmet_Evolution/thecatsgoldweb-lg.jpg

catamount man
June 17th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Memories, may be beautiful and yet....xlolx

That really did suckxmadx Especially since you guys were taken apart in the NC gamexrolleyesx That made me feel even worsexbawlingx

Tell me about it, I have the Southern Illinois game on VHS as well. It is still cool 25 years later to hear Keith Jackson say "The Catamounts of WESTERN CAROLINA" as only he can. xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
June 23rd, 2008, 02:44 PM
I agree, they sound pretty good:

http://ps.furman.edu/engaged/mocktrial/

You can line up any group of the meanest, toughest football players you can find and I will still not be as intimidated of them as I am of a group of overachieving polisci majors with a deadline.

ericsaid
June 23rd, 2008, 04:30 PM
LSU-38 App-31:Armanti fumbles running towards the end zone with seconds leftxsmhx

UGA-52 GaSo-28: They will put points up if the QB transfer falls through and with all of the "potentially great" runningback transfers coming in, I say they score at the most 28.

Elon-45 UR-31:Elon will be much improved and SoCon still shows it runs the FCS, with this game and the rest of the Caa-SoCon match-ups through the season.

ngineer
June 23rd, 2008, 09:20 PM

Unbelieveable....How can El Cid justify such a 'game'? C'mon Kevin invite your ol' boys down to Charleston!

paward
June 23rd, 2008, 11:29 PM
Dang it! Is it August yet?

Eyes of Old Main
June 24th, 2008, 12:54 AM
Unbelieveable....How can El Cid justify such a 'game'? C'mon Kevin invite your ol' boys down to Charleston!

The term "game" is definitely used loosely.

Bagboys ask "paper or plastic". Bellhops ask "charcoal or propane".

PaladinFan
June 24th, 2008, 10:26 AM
LSU-38 App-31:Armanti fumbles running towards the end zone with seconds leftxsmhx

UGA-52 GaSo-28: They will put points up if the QB transfer falls through and with all of the "potentially great" runningback transfers coming in, I say they score at the most 28.

Elon-45 UR-31:Elon will be much improved and SoCon still shows it runs the FCS, with this game and the rest of the Caa-SoCon match-ups through the season.

GSU didn't put up that many points against UGA the last time they played. That was with the team that eventually became one of the top offenses in I-AA. UGA is supposed to be phenomenally good this year. I'd count it as a victory if they can get in the endzone.

furman94
June 24th, 2008, 10:41 AM
FU wins! Thats all I care about now! Is it August yet?

ericsaid
June 24th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I think the good offenses from this era and the great offenses from last era are turning into one in the same. So it's tough to judge a team who played a team before with a traditional formation than todays spread offense team.

elcid96
June 24th, 2008, 05:16 PM

That would be a better game. Actually any team would be a better game.

james_lawfirm
June 24th, 2008, 07:55 PM
App. State @ LSU - This will be closer than the Tiger faithful think. I think it will be close into the 4th, but LSU wins by 10; 40 - 30.

Georgia Southern @ Georgia - closer than many think; Ga. 37 - GaSo 24.

UT Chattanooga @ Oklahoma - OK puts in kids with no names on their jerseys by the 2nd qtr. O 70 - Ch. 10

Mars Hill @ Furman - Furman 48 - MH 14

Presbyterian @ Wofford - Woff 49 - Blue Hose guys 20

Shorter College @ Western Carolina (Thursday of week 1) - WCU 35 - Sh 5

Webber International @ The Citadel - New Stadium gets annointed in style. Webber gets grilled. Web 3 - Citadel 80.

West Georgia @ Samford (Thursday of week 1) - New QB from Memphis shows off & gets idea that FCS is easy. The SoCon will be a rude awakening. WG 10 - Sam. 24

Richmond @ Elon - Elon whoops up on the Spiders via Air Riddle. Phx 58 - Arachnids 18

PaladinFan
June 25th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I think the good offenses from this era and the great offenses from last era are turning into one in the same. So it's tough to judge a team who played a team before with a traditional formation than todays spread offense team.

You apparenlty didn't see the 2004 Eagles. They were held under 30 three times (all losses to UGA, Furman, and UNH in the playoffs). In their 9 wins only one team held them under 40 points. Another two held them under 50. They scored over 60 on two others.

Last era or not, that's the best offense I remember seeing take the field.

Eaglesrus
June 25th, 2008, 03:49 PM
You apparenlty didn't see the 2004 Eagles. They were held under 30 three times (all losses to UGA, Furman, and UNH in the playoffs). In their 9 wins only one team held them under 40 points. Another two held them under 50. They scored over 60 on two others.

Last era or not, that's the best offense I remember seeing take the field.

Averaged 47 over 12 games (of course laying 84 on Johnson C. Smith did skew that a little). Anyway, good times, thanks for the memories!

PaladinFan
June 26th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Averaged 47 over 12 games (of course laying 84 on Johnson C. Smith did skew that a little). Anyway, good times, thanks for the memories!

No, thank you. It made that homecoming win for FU just that much sweeter :)

To be honest, I didn't think we had a prayer of winning that game. I think the Eagles were coming of a 60 point thrashing of SDSU or something. I felt we were the biggest 3rd ranked underdog of all time. xthumbsupx

Eaglesrus
June 26th, 2008, 08:14 AM
No, thank you. It made that homecoming win for FU just that much sweeter :)

To be honest, I didn't think we had a prayer of winning that game. I think the Eagles were coming of a 60 point thrashing of SDSU or something. I felt we were the biggest 3rd ranked underdog of all time. xthumbsupx

Always hate to loose to Furman, of course, but the one that really hurt the most that year was the first round loss to New Hampshire obviously. No offense to UNH, but I for one really didn't see that coming.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 22nd, 2008, 09:53 AM
It's time to bump this back up to page 1 xcoolx

appfan2008
August 22nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
I am super surprised no one thought all the teams would lose... :D
jk

AppStateSVX
August 22nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
i believe

elcid96
August 22nd, 2008, 12:28 PM
With the loss of 8 GSU players and the impact that will have on the team (talent and morale), I will change my prediction for this game to

UGA 49 - GSU 3

appfan2008
August 22nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
if you voted for utc... you crazy!

ASUG8
August 22nd, 2008, 01:05 PM
APP STATE 38 LSU 20
FURMAN 41 MHC 0
EL CID 77 WEBBER 7
GSU 14 UGA 35
MOCS 7 OKLAHOMA 62
WCU 49 SHORTER 7
SAMFORD 31 UWG 17
ELON 15 RICHMOND 14
WOFF 35 PRESBYTERIAN 13

Fixed it for you....xthumbsupx
Otherwise, you're dead on except the bellhops may not be able to put that many points on the board.

PaladinFan
August 22nd, 2008, 02:37 PM
Paladinfan's predictions:

LSU 34-App State 17

Furman 38- Mars Hill 7

The Citadel 70- Webber 0

UGA 33- GSU 3

Oaklahoma 44- UTC 13

Western Carolina 34- Shorter 7

Samford 24- UWG 20

Elon 30- Richmond 28

Wofford 34- Presby 24

elcid96
August 22nd, 2008, 03:07 PM
Fixed it for you....xthumbsupx
Otherwise, you're dead on except the bellhops may not be able to put that many points on the board.

That is only 10 more than we put up last year.

hippy@GSU
August 24th, 2008, 09:26 PM
couldnt pick against my school.