PDA

View Full Version : Sam Houston @ Nicholls St. preview

blackfordpu
October 12th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Good preview for the game this Saturday in Thibodaux, LA.
Kats usually have a hard time winning in La. and with the crappy attitude of head coach Todd Whitten I don't see this being any different.

Sam Houston State vs. Nicholls State
Sam Houston State Bearkats (1-3) vs. Nicholls State Colonels (1-3)
Saturday, Oct. 15, 2005 - 2 p.m. - Guidry Stadium (12,800 grass)

GAME INFORMATION
Radio: KSAM 101.7 FM
Internet Radio: www.ksam1017.com

BEARKATS RETURN TO THIBODAUX, LA
For the 13th time in the past 20 seasons, Sam Houston State will make a trip to Thibodaux, LA, to face the Nicholls State Colonels at Guidry Staduim. Since 1984, Sam Houston State is 5-6-1 in Thibodaux. Overall, Nicholls leads the series with a 10-9-1 record

SAM HOUSTON STATE IN LOUISIANA
In its 90 years of college football, Sam Houston State is 42-62-3 against teams from Louisiana and 18-41-1 in contests played in the Pelican State. During the 11-3 championship season in 2004, the Bearkats were 1-1 in Louisiana, defeating Southeastern Louisiana in Hammond 45-17 and falling to Northwestern State in Natchitoches 45-27.

http://www.gobearkats.com/football/release.html

Hansel
October 12th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Good preview for the game this Saturday in Thibodaux, LA.
Kats usually have a hard time winning in La. and with the crappy attitude of head coach Todd Whitten I don't see this being any different.

Sam Houston State vs. Nicholls State
Sam Houston State Bearkats (1-3) vs. Nicholls State Colonels (1-3)
Saturday, Oct. 15, 2005 - 2 p.m. - Guidry Stadium (12,800 grass)

GAME INFORMATION
Radio: KSAM 101.7 FM
Internet Radio: www.ksam1017.com

BEARKATS RETURN TO THIBODAUX, LA
For the 13th time in the past 20 seasons, Sam Houston State will make a trip to Thibodaux, LA, to face the Nicholls State Colonels at Guidry Staduim. Since 1984, Sam Houston State is 5-6-1 in Thibodaux. Overall, Nicholls leads the series with a 10-9-1 record

SAM HOUSTON STATE IN LOUISIANA
In its 90 years of college football, Sam Houston State is 42-62-3 against teams from Louisiana and 18-41-1 in contests played in the Pelican State. During the 11-3 championship season in 2004, the Bearkats were 1-1 in Louisiana, defeating Southeastern Louisiana in Hammond 45-17 and falling to Northwestern State in Natchitoches 45-27.

http://www.gobearkats.com/football/release.html
I'll take the colonels by 7...

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2005, 07:51 AM
My weekly preview...

Nicholls St Colonels
vs. Sam Houston State Bearkats
Saturday, October 15th, 2 PM, Thibodaux, Louisiana

An Eye on the Kats: A loss to a ranked Northwestern State team on Homecoming afternoon left a bad taste in the Bearkats mouth. Remember 2002? The year after the Kats went to the I-AA quarterfinals and then went 4-7? Lots of fans are thinking that 2002 will be like 2005 for the Kats as they're off to a 1-3 start. The only way the Kats get into the playoffs is winning the SLC title or getting the NCAA to waive the seven-Div I wins rule, as the Kats if they win out, would be 7-3 with the one cancellation. Kats have always had trouble in Louisiana in all sports. This game will be another tough test and the team will be staying in the dorms in Hammond due to hotel availability.

An Eye on the Colonels: A spoiler team is always found in Thibodaux. They've never been a team that has truly competed for the SLC title, but even last year, they are the ones who knocked off NW State in the first week of SLC play. The Colonels had hard-luck losers this year. They almost beat Indiana, a team that is off to a surprising start in the Big Ten and blew a large lead to SFA in Nacogdoches, another tough place to play in the SLC. The last time these two teams faced in Thibodaux, the Kats lost 37-12 in 2003.

Keys for the Kats:
1) Sustain long drives. What does 344.75 ypg on the ground mean to you? It means you have a team in Nicholls, the #2 rushing offense in the land, that runs the option and will keep the clock moving in efforts to wear out their opposition. As we know, the Kats are already beat up defensively due to injuries this year on that side of the ball. The Bearkats are going to have to sustain long drives offensively to keep the defense off the field as long as they can. We saw what the Kats D did against the Demons. Keep them rested and this will be a major key.

2) O- (No) Line. 24 net rushing yards. Granted about 42 of the lost yards came from the five sacks, but the Kats are going to have to run the ball some if they want to have those aforementioned sustained drives. The OL is ussually a bright spot for the Kats. These young guys did solid last year when they were called to duty to injuries. What's happened now? Giving up five sacks not what we're used to in Huntsville and on the road in a tough environment, the task of protecting the QB and not letting the road crowd (and Colonels D) come crashing down on the Kats is even more critical. Granted, the Colonels have not been getting sacks thus far this year, but they are ranked 12th in total defense. This is gonna be a tough game.

3) Will the real Bearkats please stand up? I don't care what the heck has been going on in some of the games this year, but there's no one really stepping up and leading this team. There's no Jarrod Fuller or Jason Mathenia making huge catches this year to rally the team. No Marcus Mikulec or Paul Donelson to lay a huge hit to get the crowd fired up. We need some big plays by guys who are PTPers as DicK Vitale calls them. Whether it Daughtry, Terry, Oliphant, Malone or anyone, the only way the Kats win at all from this point on is if someone steps up and if the team comes out ready to play. This team isn't as pumped up getting out on the field as we're used to. Someone, anyone, we're waiting for you to make your mark as a Bearkat and show the coaches what kind of intensity this team can have. Randleman was known as a motivator, but what about Whitten? We've yet to see...

TT's Prediction: Nicholls 32-24 Sam. Going to Thibodaux is tough for the Kats. This is a great running team as we all know and their defense is playing extremely well. If the Kats do not force turnovers and sustain long drives, this game will be over before we know it, whether the scoreboard says it or not. I'm giving Sam the benefit of the doubt and saying we'll score over 20. Nicholls is in no means a team that will run away with a game because of how they play.

Safe travels for those Kats making the road trip.

BayouColonel
October 14th, 2005, 03:43 PM
27-14 Colonels.

BayouColonel
October 14th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Sorry for the split replies. That's just my take on the game. We finally put it together and play for four quarters.

Hansel
October 14th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Sorry for the split replies. That's just my take on the game. We finally put it together and play for four quarters.
did the colonels ever get their home uni's or are they going to be wearing their whites all year?

TxSt02
October 14th, 2005, 04:24 PM
I'll take the colonels by 7...

Ill take Sam Houston and the money line which whould be around +300...