PDA

View Full Version : Georgetown FB Transfers To Colorado

DFW HOYA
June 14th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Matt Burgner, one of the leading candidates for Georgetown at FB, has popped up on the Colorado roster. The other candidate, Alex Carroll, was not on the spring roster.

http://www.cubuffs.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=3845&SPID=255&DB_OEM_ID=600

The starting FB now appears to be a 5-11, 200 lb junior who was the backup QB last season.

Georgetown's continuing lack of veteran depth has to be a concern heading into a season where they have lost 18 of its last 20. I just don't know how strong the fan base will hang in there if they pull another 2007-style season.

ngineer
June 14th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Tough news..was the kid originally from out west? Homesickness is not uncommon.

Seawolf97
June 14th, 2008, 07:29 PM
That is tough for a program that is trying to pull itself together. Hopefully that backup fullback will have a great season.

MplsBison
June 14th, 2008, 07:34 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the tradition I or offset I, lead blocking full backs, but NDSU has had pretty decent success using them in our base offense.

My preference is for a 3rd wide receiver or 2nd TE over a FB.

Hoyadestroya85
June 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM
if you have a fullback who can run the ball as well as block, that is a very dangerous weapon to have

McNeese_beat
June 14th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I like having a fullback who can block, catch it and, on third-and-1, can dot the I and get you the yard.

Those are pretty rare.

BBB
June 14th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I love the FB position. A guy who can block and sometimes pop off a good run is the best.

GIve me the I formation and the Wishbone ANY DAY!

MplsBison
June 14th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love a good hard nosed running game both inside and outside the tackles out of a pro set.

I just think that having a traditional FB type guy, 6 foot or less around 230-250 lbs. takes a bit of offensive threat off the field.

A TE likely isn't any faster than an FB, but they're usually 6'5" or taller, at least. So they can catch a high ball over the middle.

And a slot WR is almost always faster than a FB.

bjtheflamesfan
June 15th, 2008, 08:25 AM
I started out as a 4 and 5 wide throw the ball 50 times a game kind of guy, but as I got to working on a playbook in my coaching class, I started to see the benefit of having a good solid running game. I probably wouldnt mind having a good fullback. he would need to be a good pass catcher I can split out as a 4th or 5th receiver in spread situations but I do have a few I formation plays and a number of single back plays as well.

R.A.
June 16th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Matt Burgner, one of the leading candidates for Georgetown at FB, has popped up on the Colorado roster. The other candidate, Alex Carroll, was not on the spring roster.

http://www.cubuffs.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=3845&SPID=255&DB_OEM_ID=600

The starting FB now appears to be a 5-11, 200 lb junior who was the backup QB last season.

Georgetown's continuing lack of veteran depth has to be a concern heading into a season where they have lost 18 of its last 20. I just don't know how strong the fan base will hang in there if they pull another 2007-style season.

xwhistlex