PDA

View Full Version : Central Arkansas Heading to Hawaii?

TexasTerror
June 14th, 2008, 09:03 AM
UCA may be playing Hawaii in 2009...that'd be a nice perk for some of those guys who have been working so hard to make Division I football successful in Conway.

“Since moving to Division 1, people have a different perception of UCA,” Conque said. “People realize that we’re playing Louisiana Tech and Tulsa. We have a deal on the table to to play the University of Hawaii in 2009.”

http://blogs.arkansasonline.com/recruiting/?p=119

MplsBison
June 14th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Didn't NW State go there not too long ago?

TexasTerror
June 14th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Didn't NW State go there not too long ago?

I know Northwestern State went there in basketball. No team in the Southland, since the league has been I-AA/FCS, has been to Hawaii. This is a first for the conference, if it does happen.

Good to see SLC programs willing to go on the road to play FBS or FCS opponents alike...xnodx

MaximumBobcat
June 14th, 2008, 10:02 AM
TT, I don't know if you know, but Texas State basketball is playing the Hawaii Tournament in 09 I believe.

TexasTerror
June 14th, 2008, 10:16 AM
I was supposed to spend Thanksgiving in Hawaii this year...was going to take my wife along for the trip too, only would've had to pay for her plane ticket and food. Too bad...

BEAR
June 14th, 2008, 09:45 PM
That would be great to go to Hawaii to see the Bears play! It's amazing to UCA fans, especially me, who have followed this team since watching them win the NAIA national championship and would never imagine that UCA would play La. Tech or Tulsa or Hawaii!

For some at this level already, it's no big deal. But to loyal Bear fans who have heard nothing but insults from pig fans who look down their snouts on us, and from Indian(Red Wolves)fans who think UCA is still a high school team, these matchups are things to be proud of for the university and their fans.

We also appreciate the warm welcome that every university in the SLC has given us! xbowx Also to be in the hunt for the SLC title the first year was amazing! Even more to be picked to finish first or second in only our second year in division I is beyond belief! xhurrayx

I enjoyed DII and the NAIA very much. I enjoy the FCS and can't wait to see the posts on this board and the others that degrade the Bears. It will mean we have accomplished something. It'll mean the Bears are over their transition in the eyes of the other fans. So quit being nice! xmadx xthumbsupx xlolx

Aloha BABY! xhomerx

Seawolf97
June 14th, 2008, 09:52 PM
That would be great to go to Hawaii to see the Bears play! It's amazing to UCA fans, especially me, who have followed this team since watching them win the NAIA national championship and would never imagine that UCA would play La. Tech or Tulsa or Hawaii!

For some at this level already, it's no big deal. But to loyal Bear fans who have heard nothing but insults from pig fans who look down their snouts on us, and from Indian(Red Wolves)fans who think UCA is still a high school team, these matchups are things to be proud of for the university and their fans.

We also appreciate the warm welcome that every university in the SLC has given us! xbowx Also to be in the hunt for the SLC title the first year was amazing! Even more to be picked to finish first or second in only our second year in division I is beyond belief! xhurrayx

I enjoyed DII and the NAIA very much. I enjoy the FCS and can't wait to see the posts on this board and the others that degrade the Bears. It will mean we have accomplished something. It'll mean the Bears are over their transition in the eyes of the other fans. So quit being nice! xmadx xthumbsupx xlolx

Aloha BABY! xhomerx

Sounds like a great road trip and great game for you guys! Good Luck!

Lionsrking
June 14th, 2008, 10:47 PM
TT, I don't know if you know, but Texas State basketball is playing the Hawaii Tournament in 09 I believe.

We played in the Hawaii tournament six or seven years ago.

I Bleed Purple
June 14th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Weber State plays there this year.

T-Dog
June 15th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Good luck. App played there in 2003, and it took us two weeks to recover from it (jet lag and playing a tough game the next week). If you can, have your bye-week the week after that game.

Also, I've heard horrible things about the Hawaii fans (I remember reports from Fresno State fans were downright scary), but it's a once-in-a-lifetime thing to go there. It's freaking Hawaii after all.

CSUBUCDAD
June 15th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Chuck South went last year.

ncbears
June 15th, 2008, 11:09 AM
same with unc

BearsCountry
June 15th, 2008, 06:21 PM
UCA fans have you heard anything about us playing again?

BeauFoster
June 15th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I had a Sports Illustrated article linked on the MMB at one point about the Hawaii fans, but can't find it. It detailed several fights, poor rules enforcement and a general, all-around bad time had by any visiting fans. Plus, as noted, the flight is terribly long for a team to have to make on a Thursday or Friday and then adjust to the time change and play a game. I think the App game didn't kick off until about 1am, eastern time. That can be a difficult adjustment to make in such a short time.

BEAR
June 15th, 2008, 08:24 PM

Not recently. Would be a great rivalry though!xthumbsupx

UCABEARS75
June 16th, 2008, 08:29 AM

Our AD said ya'll were full through 2011 or 2012 but we were working together for games after that.

We played 4 games with ya'll this year in baseball and owe you return games.

I just found out we would be playing in Springfield in your new arena next BB season (men).

Look forward to many games in all sports with our neighbors in Missouri.

UCABEARS75
June 16th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I think a game in Hawaii can be used as a great recruiting tool.

I go to most games and would make the trip. However, Honolulu is not much and unless you combine the trip with a week on another island it is not worth going as a fan.

That flight back is a butt-buster.

I Bleed Purple
June 16th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Weber actually has 3 or 4 Hawaiian players on the roster. Cameron Higgins is one.

ncbears
June 16th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Weber actually has 3 or 4 Hawaiian players on the roster. Cameron Higgins is one.

Is he Mormon? I only ask because I know Mormons hit Hawaii pretty hard with their missionay stuff.

Purple Pride
July 22nd, 2008, 06:56 AM
It's official.

UCA signs contract with Hawaii

The Central Arkansas Bears are Hawaii-bound. On Monday, Central Arkansas signed a contract to open the 2009 football season at the University of Hawaii. Central Arkansas Athletic Director Brad Teague confirmed the arrangement Monday evening. The Bears will take on the Warriors on Friday, Sept. 4, 2009, at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu. The time has yet to be determined, but it will probably be 11 p.m. or midnight Central time. “It’s a great deal for us,” Teague said. “It gives our first Division I class a chance to play in a big game in Hawaii. It’s a great deal all the way around. It’s a name that people recognize, so we’re very pleased.” The deal includes all travel expenses paid and a $125,000 guarantee from Hawaii, significantly less than the $200,000 that the Bears are getting to travel to Tulsa this season. However, Teague said that the national attention from playing Hawaii, the team travel costs will be picked up by Hawaii chance to reward the school’s first Division I class make up for it. The deal includes 90 round-trip plane tickets and hotel accommodations for three days. Teague wasn’t sure of the specifics, but said that where a typical Southland Conference road trip for the Bears would cost about $20,000, he estimated the cost to Hawaii at around $150,000.

GO BEARS!!!!