PDA

View Full Version : What current I-AAs are seriously considering I-A moves

Thumper250
October 12th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Appalachian State and Georgia Southern? I'm curious. I honestly think Liberty's boss man (Jerry) has that in his visions as well.

But in all seriousness, are GSU and ASU really candidates to jump soon?

With WKU, this could strengthen the Sun Belt to 11 teams quickly. Add another for a 12th and you have divisions.

Eastern Division
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Appalachian State
Georgia Southern
Troy

Western Division
Arkansas State
LA-Monroe
LA-Lafayette
Middle Tennessee
North Texas
Western Kentucky

greenG
October 12th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Appalachian State and Georgia Southern? I'm curious. I honestly think Liberty's boss man (Jerry) has that in his visions as well.

With WKU, this could strengthen the Sun Belt to 11 teams quickly. Add another for a 12th and you have divisions.

If WKU makes the jump, as I expect them to, they will quickly move to the Mid-American Conference.

SpiritCymbal
October 12th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Unfortunatly, GSU will probably not make a jump for a while. Not unless some "changes" happen soon (changes in attitude, not necessarily staff).

TexasTerror
October 12th, 2005, 03:34 PM
The folks in San Marcos bring it up all the time. It was even in their 2000 media guide about the move to I-A...

http://www.bobcatfans.com/images/2000_d1.jpg
http://www.bobcatfans.com/images/2000_d1_2.jpg

AppGuy04
October 12th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Eastern Division
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Appalachian State
Georgia Southern
Troy

Western Division
Arkansas State
LA-Monroe
LA-Lafayette
Middle Tennessee
North Texas
Western Kentucky

ASu has been saying for a while that they have interest in jumping, but I don't think it will happen for atleast 5 years or so, eventually yes, but not soon

MR. CHICKEN
October 12th, 2005, 03:44 PM
DELAWARE STATE!...NO AH'M SERIOUS......DUH AVGERAGE ATTENDANCE....2600.....LAST SEASON FO' 6 HOMERS...UH TOTAL O' 16,000 & CHANGE.......DELAWARE AVERAGES 22000+..PER CONTEST.....WHIFF NO ASPIRATIONS O' DUH BIG-TOP!.......AH KNOW...AH KNOW!......xlolx...AWK!

wlj989s
October 12th, 2005, 03:44 PM
The Missouri State University.

And hell no are we going to the SunBelt.

blur2005
October 12th, 2005, 04:12 PM

Well...you won't be going Big 12...so where then...C-USA?

Sly Fox
October 12th, 2005, 04:35 PM
It is true that we harbor I-A aspirations. But we all know that we are nowhere near being in that position anytime soon.

And its true that Texas State (SWT at the time) began a plan to make the move up a few years ago before putting those dreams on hiatus until the rules seemed more palatable.

RadMann
October 12th, 2005, 04:46 PM
I heard the UD administration has aspirations of moving back to division II.....

McNeese75
October 12th, 2005, 04:47 PM
The folks in San Marcos bring it up all the time. It was even in their 2000 media guide about the move to I-A...

http://www.bobcatfans.com/images/2000_d1.jpg
http://www.bobcatfans.com/images/2000_d1_2.jpg

Yeah but they will expect to go straight to the Big 12 ;)

grizbeer
October 12th, 2005, 04:48 PM
According to this article about Griz stadium expansion, Montana is not interested in moving to I-A:

The possible changes to the stadium aren’t an indicator that administrators are trying to move Griz football into the top-tier, Division I-A, he said.

“We like being a big fish in a little pond,” Maes said. “We have absolutely no desire to move up to I-A in football.”The master plan is about making a long-range plan for athletics, since there currently isn’t one in place, and space for stadium expansion is limited, he said.
http://www.kaimin.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=747&Itemid=55

GeauxLions94
October 12th, 2005, 04:58 PM
DELAWARE STATE!...NO AH'M SERIOUS......DUH AVGERAGE ATTENDANCE....2600

Hey, that's perfect for the Sun Belt :D xazzx

chattanoogamocs
October 12th, 2005, 04:58 PM
That is the real question...where do these schools go? ...what will probably have to happen is the development of a new conference to support it...there are just so many slots available. I think you will have to see some like-minded schools make the jump together...I have

You see an example of that already in IAA.

Eagles_Cliff
October 12th, 2005, 07:16 PM
None that I know of.

Thank You Ralph!

We get this all the time on TSC. TSC had to create a I-AA vs I-A board.

1. It takes a pile of money to go I-A that most I-AA schools don't have (that's why they're I-AA to begin with).
2. There are attendence requirements that Montana and Delaware meet, a few others may be close, but most are no where near. Some Ivy, SWAC, and MEAC schools have the attendence, but they seem to be happy where they are, the exception being Fla A&M.
3. The "I-A" that most people want to be part of is a closed club. Pick a state or region and you'll know which school rules in football recruiting and booster money. What happened to undefeated "I-A" Marshall, Boise St.? Not even a chance to lose to one of the big boys which leads me to..

4. To heck with I-A 'till they get a fair way to decide a champion. I LOVE I-AA, because we decide it on the field!! 8 "preferred conference" auto bids and 8 up for grabs. This year, for example, CCU is probably not really a Top 16 team, but if they win out, they deserve to be in the playoffs, which means they have 4 chances to win it all.

I-AA All The Way!

MR. CHICKEN
October 12th, 2005, 07:25 PM
None that I know of.

RALPHIE....MAY WANNA CALL UP DR. SESSOMS...DELAWARE STATE...HONCHO.......HE HAS REPEATED MO' DAN UH DOZEN TIMES...IN DUH JOURNAL........DEL. ST. HAS DIV. I-A ASPIRATIONS!.....NOW GOIN' BY DIS THREAD "WHAT CURRENT I-AA'S ARE SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING I-A MOVES"....IT MAYBEAH NOT NEXT WEEK...OR EVEN UH COUPLE LIGHT YEARS FROM NOW.......BUT DUH GOOD...DOC.......CLAIMS TA BE SERIOUS!.......FO' WHAT IT'S WORFFF!.........:rolleyes:.......BRAWK!

Sly Fox
October 12th, 2005, 07:30 PM
That is precisely what we are looking at in regard to a step up. You have to have reasonable travel costs to make it viable in all sports. It doesn't take a genius to postulate a new regional league based on schools known to have some I-A aspirations. All that said, its all just talk at this point.

ISUMatt
October 12th, 2005, 08:30 PM
All the chatter in Normal says Illinois State is getting the money and fundraising ready to update facilities and think about going I-A

blukeys
October 12th, 2005, 08:31 PM
RALPHIE....MAY WANNA CALL UP DR. SESSOMS...DELAWARE STATE...HONCHO.......HE HAS REPEATED MO' DAN UH DOZEN TIMES...IN DUH JOURNAL........DEL. ST. HAS DIV. I-A ASPIRATIONS!.....NOW GOIN' BY DIS THREAD "WHAT CURRENT I-AA'S ARE SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING I-A MOVES"....IT MAYBEAH NOT NEXT WEEK...OR EVEN UH COUPLE LIGHT YEARS FROM NOW.......BUT DUH GOOD...DOC.......CLAIMS TA BE SERIOUS!.......FO' WHAT IT'S WORFFF!.........:rolleyes:.......BRAWK!

Well, I have actually talked directly to DR. Sessoms on this topic and have expressed my doubts. He has solid reasons for looking at the move that actually have very little to do with Athletics. I like the guy as he is thinking outside the box for Del State which is good for Central Delaware and the whole State of Delaware.

As anyone who reads a Delaware Newspaper knows Dr. Sessoms has bigger problems than athletics right now. In addition he is probably better off emphasizing basketball with the current BBall coach he has to achieve his goals.

greenG
October 12th, 2005, 09:36 PM

Another good candidate for the MAC, especially after the "Temple experiment" fails.

galojay
October 12th, 2005, 10:14 PM
WKU is planning a move. I dare say it is a question of WHEN not IF. I see the ball rolling after the stadium expansion and renovation is completed.

FlyYtown
October 12th, 2005, 10:14 PM
All the chatter in Normal says Illinois State is getting the money and fundraising ready to update facilities and think about going I-A

Nothing against you but man your attendance needs to get way up for that to occur.

BTW. Back in the late 1990s the MAC Voted in Buffalo over YSU into the League. Buffalo was a joke and YSU was in its prime but two schools; within an hours drive; told others to VOTE NO for YSU.

Akron and Kent were getting embarrassed Year in and Year out by YSU and they did not want YSU taking anymore recruits that would go to their schools.

Look at the decision now.. SAD... YSU Has the stadium and expansion room if need be for I-A. That is why the new side was added in 1997. But plans went SOUTH.

That is all True.. I am best friends with someone who worked on it..

Paladin1aa
October 12th, 2005, 10:20 PM
I'll lay this out. We have talked about it and almost did it under Tressel.

Since that time YSU has been on a spending binge with buildings, dorms and what may be a crown jewel -- a multi-million dollar Rec Center for the students /faculty built with private money. This work-out/spa/ athletic facility connects to the Student Union and will collect fees from all students/faculty making it a cash cow. YSU raised its charges to students as well.

Tressel had the plan years ago and the funding was planned. Everything was a go until they got black-balled on a vote in the MAC by Akron & Kent St. who didn't want the competition. MAC may be about to " splinter" in the near future and they may come calling again. We also may look in another direction.

The chatter is funding for I-A has to be in place and maybe the planned expansion for the Ice Castle as well ( easily done with end zone seats, max. 25-30k). I think we are just a few years from taking another look. And a league affiliation is a must first.

This is early , but its a possibility in the next 5 years.

ucdtim17
October 12th, 2005, 10:47 PM
I think the "chatter" is that every school is looking to move up

Cocky
October 12th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Some Troy people have been pushing for JSU to move to I-A. We have plans to expand the stadium but the money needed doesn't exist unless we use Troy's plan. Troy has spent nearly all of it's money on athletics and nearly none on academics. I don't see our adminstration doing the Troy plan as our enrollment is growing while Troy's main campus enrollment is decreasing.

We have the same problems as everybody else we have no conference to join and no money to play with the BCS conferences.

If we were to go I-A I would be for trying to form a new conference with all new I-A schools.

crunifan
October 12th, 2005, 11:09 PM
I actually haven't heard any of this talk at UNI. I think people here realize that we need to continue to grow as a program before anything like that happens. I will admit I would like to see it happen in my lifetime though. I think it would be nice if the Missouri Valley Conference would support I-A football, so UNI could be consistent in all sports. Not to mention, the MVC is finally becoming a respected name thanks to it's outstanding basketball teams in SIU, UNI and Creighton.

BelgradeBobcat
October 12th, 2005, 11:28 PM
maybe we should have promotion/relegation to upper and lower division like they have in European soccer leagues. :D

TxSt02
October 12th, 2005, 11:30 PM
WKU is planning a move. I dare say it is a question of WHEN not IF. I see the ball rolling after the stadium expansion and renovation is completed.

yeah nice one sided stadium...

blur2005
October 13th, 2005, 01:05 AM
Notice the "expansion part." WKU is going to build an opposite side.

Killtoppers90
October 13th, 2005, 08:04 AM

With the EXPANSION (f'ng moron) we are adding another side to the stadium.

89Hen
October 13th, 2005, 08:34 AM
I heard WKU was just going to put another deck on the home side and boost capacity to 40,000. :p

McNeese75
October 13th, 2005, 09:06 AM

Don't let him get under your skin Topper, they have over 25,000 students and can't fill their own stadium (which ain't all that). ;)

ButlerGSU
October 13th, 2005, 09:07 AM
I just looked up WKU's stadium, I agree it is rather goofy looking right now. It has to look silly on TV...

TexasTerror
October 13th, 2005, 09:13 AM
I thought WKU had awful attendance? How the heck would they move up to I-A?

9000 for season opener against a sub Div I team. 18000 for rivalry game against EKU -- how many traveled? Sure didn't travel well to I-AA playoffs and if I recall their attendance was awful last year, averaging less than Sam's, so they must be at under 10000 a game and that was a good year...

arkstfan
October 13th, 2005, 10:56 AM
First thing to consider.

The dynamic of I-A membership has changed. You can't just throw up enough seats to reach 30,000, do a one-year fire sale on tix to get in I-A and then whore yourself out to make home/away attendance.

Today you have to meet the I-A schedule requirements of five countable home games every year. If you go to College Football Warehouse you'll see that most of the move up schools and even some longer term I-A members had 4 home game seasons in I-A.

Playing in I-A requires conference membership unless you have a fantastic AD who can get you a steady diet of home/home games. Army, Navy, and Notre Dame can do it as an independent. Playing them on the road means TV and playing them at home means a bump in crowd interest in any market. While there are I-AA's that can provide a bump in attendance on the road very few have the ability to do that outside their region.

In I-A access to bowls and TV is tied to conference membership again unless you are an Army, Navy or Notre Dame you forego that stuff as a I-A indy.

If you take it as a given that conference membership is vital that limits who can move up even if so inclined.

The WAC might be willing to take one team moving up, two if La.Tech moves to a geographically sensible alignment. There is no doubt Montana would have a home there if so inclined but we know they do not seem so inclined. That would mean one of the California schools would be where they would look. Nevada's AD seems to think UCD is so inclined. While travel is terrible in the WAC it's not really better for a I-AA.

The MAC is now in the bizzaro world of going to 13 in football. The word out was that the commissioner wanted WKU but spent all of his political capitol in the league on adding Temple and over-spending to get NIU in the Silicon Valley Bowl and Miami in the Independence. The MAC is facing a bad revenue situation because the extra NCAA basketball units are starting to fall off. Chyrst's argument was that adding WKU would help boost the RPI enough to get back to being a 2 bid league. Other league leaders have argued that the departure of Marshall would lift the RPI back up. If they are correct, the league will opt to split revenue 12 ways w/o WKU than add them and split it 13 ways. Another faction believes that unless Temple can turn football around in 4-5 years that they will pull the plug on football. There is some fear that if the MAC expands from 12 hoops / 13 football to 13 hoops / 14 football that they will be left at 13 / 13 if Temple does pull the plug. Those schools want to see some signs of life from Temple before expanding to balance football.

The Sun Belt would certainly like to add at least one school. Under conference bylaws if WKU moves I-A, they are automatically added to Sun Belt football (any sport you sponsor that has a league championship has to be played in the Sun Belt or you are automatically expelled w/o a vote). But there is virtually no interest in going to 10 or 12 in the current alignment unless one of the four non-football schools depart. Adding one takes the basketball league to 14 and there is little or no desire to go beyond 14 in basketball. Right now sources at La.Tech indicate that unless the WAC experiences an influx in revenue that they cannot financially survive in that conference past 07 or 08. A return to the Belt isn't outside the realm of possibilities. The Belt would certainly entertain adding a I-AA that isn't currently in the league but that would be about it.

With the new I-A membership rules, the number of schools that would contemplate I-A membership has to be diminished. There is now greater access to "money games" in I-AA. Ramping up to 200 scholies or more just to gain a couple $100,000 in game revenues isn't going to be feasible at most places.

My thought at this point is that Western Kentucky and UC Davis are the biggest threats to shift to I-A simply because they are the ones with the easiest route to league membership. Outside of them the target school would MAKE SENSE would be one trying to leave a lower tier basketball league to join a middle tier league like the MAC or Sun Belt. That rules out or at least SHOULD rule out the MoValley schools. You can rule out Youngstown State simply because the MAC is unlikely to expand in Ohio as is the Sun Belt and MAC.

Cocky
October 13th, 2005, 11:48 AM
I thought the question mentioned "serious" not just hopeful from fans...

Most seem happy where they are now. Only a few posters seem to be wanting to move to I-A. Maybe I'm not reading enough into the post.

89Hen
October 13th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Do you think this looks goofy:
No, that looks awesome. This however, does look goofy...

http://www.thegatewayconnection.com/graphics/wku/wky-smith-field-300.jpg

Down with the Foe!
October 13th, 2005, 12:25 PM
According to this article about Griz stadium expansion, Montana is not interested in moving to I-A:

http://www.kaimin.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=747&Itemid=55

I chuckled when I read this:

Yes means no....No means yes....and sometimes Maybe means Maybe....

I'd say we ARE going for sure now that it is in print that we are NOT going.

:p :p :p

I am a I-AA die hard myself.

TigerFan17
October 13th, 2005, 12:26 PM
The last thing the world needs is more Sun Belt teams...

Marshall made arguably the most successful jump from I-AA to I-A in history...look how far their program has moved up in the I-A ranks in almost 10 years.... :rolleyes:

At this point, the I-A money is monopolized. The chances of gettig to that money are so slim, that it is completely senseless, IMO, to move to I-A.

People seem to think that if you're I-A all of a sudden your attendance figures explode off the charts.

Ask Buffalo or San Diego State.

I-AA all the way!

89Hen
October 13th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Marshall made arguably the most successful jump from I-AA to I-A in history...
UConn, easily.

Cocky
October 13th, 2005, 12:49 PM
UConn, easily.
Marshall seem to be on a downhill slide. They even loss to Troy last year.

89Hen
October 13th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Even with the downturn, Marshall had a great I-AA program, UConn didn't. The change from I-AA to I-A was far greater for UConn. They went from 10k to 40k overnight. They also were able to put themselves in a BCS conference with more bowl tie-ins.

colgate13
October 13th, 2005, 12:56 PM
UConn had the sweetest deal of all. I-A actually made sense for them - after the tax payers built them a stadium if I am not mistaken.

UConn will probably be one of the better teams in the east in 10 years.

89Hen
October 13th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Northeast. They did have the best deal ever, but they also got royally screwed with UM, VT and BC going to the ACC. Had they known that, I don't know if they make the same leap... probably, but not as much of a no-brainer. I'm sure the state saw Miami, VT and BC coming to East Hartford every other year and that was a big selling point for building them a stadium. I think the Huskies will be on par with Louisville, Syracuse, Marshall... good second tier team, but I would hesitate to predict anything more than that.

colgate13
October 13th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Northeast.

Northeast, east. There's a difference? :p

89Hen
October 13th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Northeast, east. There's a difference? :p
Here we go again! :eek: ;)

JALMOND
October 13th, 2005, 01:15 PM
The old academic adminisitration at Portland State was so gung ho about us going to the WAC that we actually scheduled games with WAC schools. Further talks were boistered when we actually beat Hawaii the first year. However, even though we have been competitive with Fresno and Boise on the field, the new administration has cooled their talks of joining the WAC. WAC talks with us about joining were virtually ended when they accepted Idaho and Utah State this year. It seems we are staying in the Big Sky and the only move for us to I-A is if the whole conference goes I-A (some rumblings but nothing "serious").

arkstfan
October 13th, 2005, 03:10 PM

AND the year before. ;)

galojay
October 13th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Details on WKU's stadium expansion:

First, as early as this fall, the track that currently circles the field will be moved to a $1.5 million track/field complex that will be built.

Then starting in Spring 2006, the main project will begin. The existing structure will be completely gutted and renovated. What that means to the seating, I don’t know yet. But, much like the Diddle Arena renovation, it will be a complete renovation of the stadium.

On the University Blvd. end zone, a three-story Academic/Athletic training facility will be built. This will contain locker rooms, coaches offices, a 15K weight room, rehab facility, and academic tutoring and assistance facility for student-athletes. Mounted on this building will also be a jumbo video display for the stadium.

Opposite the existing 17.5K seats will be 6K new seats. On top of these seats will be eight luxury boxes.

On the Big Red Way end zone, a berm (sloped grassy area) will be built. This will accommodate 3K fans that want to lay a blanket out and watch the game. Also, from what I understand, on top of the berm will be a replica of the Colonnades that are at the old football stadium on top of the hill.

I’m told that if you stand at the center of the field, you will not be able to see outside the stadium.

I DOUBT that will look silly or ackward. It will be one of the top stadiums in I-AA... or a pretty darn good I-A.

MR. CHICKEN
October 13th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Well, I have actually talked directly to DR. Sessoms on this topic and have expressed my doubts. He has solid reasons for looking at the move that actually have very little to do with Athletics. I like the guy as he is thinking outside the box for Del State which is good for Central Delaware and the whole State of Delaware.

As anyone who reads a Delaware Newspaper knows Dr. Sessoms has bigger problems than athletics right now. In addition he is probably better off emphasizing basketball with the current BBall coach he has to achieve his goals.

SESSOMS BEGGED DUH STATE....FO' $75 MILLION...TA BUILD UH BASKETBALL/FOOTBALL COMPLEX.......MINNER COUGHED UP ENUFF FO' UH BASKETBALL ARENA ONLY........DELAWARE STATE IS ALREADY DIV. I IN ROUNDBALL.....HE HAS STATED MANY TIMES IN THE NEWS JOURNAL....THAT HIS AMBITION IS TA GET HORNET FOOTBALL TA I-A.........HE IS USIN' SPORTS.....TA JUMP START INTEREST IN HIS UNIVERSITY......HE WANTS STUDENTS TA ATTEND FO' UH REAL EDUCATION.....INSTEAD O' JES' BUYIN' ONE....HE WANTS BORDERLINERS...TA GO TA JUCO'S....TA UP DERE GRADES...THEN ATTEND HIS SCHOOL....NOT JES' HAVE UH OPEN DOOR POLICY....TA ANY-ONE WHO COULD WANDER IN...AN' COME OUT WHIFF UH MEANIN'LESS DIPLOMA!........:D.......BRAWK!

MR. CHICKEN
October 13th, 2005, 03:32 PM
UConn had the sweetest deal of all. I-A actually made sense for them - after the tax payers built them a stadium if I am not mistaken.

WHEN UCONN WHUPPED SYRACUSE ON ESPN.......DUH GAME CALLERS..MENTIONED DUH FACT DAT....STATE O' CONNECTICUT...GAVE UCONN 190 MILLION DOLLARS..TA USE AS DEY SAW FIT........SPENT 60 SOME MILL...ON FOOTBALL & ATHLETIC DEPT!....:p.....BRAWK!

grizband
October 13th, 2005, 04:22 PM
I selfishly hope that UM doesn't make the move to I-A anytime soon. We have a great thing going, and I would hate to see it ruined for the perception of more prestige or money. I say perception because I would argue that the top level I-AA teams are more prestigious than the bottom level I-A teams.

Here in Missoula, we sell out every game, we win most of our games, we are consistently competing for conference titles, playoff berths, and the occasional national championship. We have great rivalries, our program makes money, and we have a great fan base. I would hate to see any of these suffer for the allure of the "fools gold" that is the lower tiers of I-AA football.

MR. CHICKEN
October 13th, 2005, 07:14 PM
HOPE YA'LL STAY I-AA TOO.........MONTANA'S PIGGY PROGRAM......IS DUH RABBIT....DAT ALL DUH BIG DAWGS...ARE CHASIN'!......;)......BRAWK!

FlyYtown
October 13th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Details on WKU's stadium expansion:

First, as early as this fall, the track that currently circles the field will be moved to a $1.5 million track/field complex that will be built.

Then starting in Spring 2006, the main project will begin. The existing structure will be completely gutted and renovated. What that means to the seating, I don’t know yet. But, much like the Diddle Arena renovation, it will be a complete renovation of the stadium.

On the University Blvd. end zone, a three-story Academic/Athletic training facility will be built. This will contain locker rooms, coaches offices, a 15K weight room, rehab facility, and academic tutoring and assistance facility for student-athletes. Mounted on this building will also be a jumbo video display for the stadium.

Opposite the existing 17.5K seats will be 6K new seats. On top of these seats will be eight luxury boxes.

On the Big Red Way end zone, a berm (sloped grassy area) will be built. This will accommodate 3K fans that want to lay a blanket out and watch the game. Also, from what I understand, on top of the berm will be a replica of the Colonnades that are at the old football stadium on top of the hill.

I’m told that if you stand at the center of the field, you will not be able to see outside the stadium.

I DOUBT that will look silly or ackward. It will be one of the top stadiums in I-AA... or a pretty darn good I-A.

I think for ANY TEAM at all to consider expansion you need 22,000K with Expansion Room and at least averaging ABOVE 15,000.

YSU Has both but I am not talking about them. Sure the GFC has great schools but with the exception of YSU; Most schools average attendance is below 12,000. No Way would they move up.

Trust me if YSU was in the MAC as planned under Tressel they'd sell out 25,000 games with Akron and Kent. We always brought a ton to Kent games and they of course never had good attendance.

If anyone in the GFC would have any shot of moving up its YSU.

And this BEAUT would be real nice for I-A!

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4599/ysuaerial8fw.jpg

Model Citizen
March 5th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Talk of Big East expansion to 11 members isn't going away. Of course, some people have suggested that UConn would be ok with a FBS independent if it allowed the school to rejoin the Big East. Or would they drop football to to FCS?

Where's the latest thread on the Yankee Conference 2.0?

Anthony215
March 5th, 2018, 01:14 PM
Talk of Big East expansion to 11 members isn't going away. Of course, some people have suggested that UConn would be ok with a FBS independent if it allowed the school to rejoin the Big East. Or would they drop football to to FCS?

No way in hell UCONN goes independent in football. They aren't that good to start with and their stadium is too small to get ND to come across country and play them in football in CT. They'll drop down to FCS again since they aren't even filling their stadium with quality AAC games like Houston, USF, UCF & Temple. Makes more sense to keep all sports in the AAC as the basketball program can land the same recruits there as they would in the new Big East. Remember Louisville, Pittsburgh and Syracuse all left the Big East to go to the ACC.

BisonFan02
March 5th, 2018, 01:25 PM
Holy necro. An FBS thread that didn't involve NDSU. xlolx

Model Citizen
March 5th, 2018, 01:46 PM
They'll drop down to FCS again since they aren't even filling their stadium with quality AAC games like Houston, USF, UCF & Temple.

Could they persuade UMass to do the same?

Anthony215
March 5th, 2018, 02:07 PM

UMASS seems to think they can fill Gillette Stadium with big names teams meanwhile they're only playing there 2 times per season now. The rest of their games are on campus at their 17k seat stadium that still only gets maybe 11-13k fans in the stands depending on the opponent. They should have never moved up as the state can't support 2 FBS programs, hell BC isn't even pulling in huge attendance numbers except when they play FSU, ND and Clemson.

Laker
March 5th, 2018, 04:18 PM

I'm still waiting for Vermont to bring back football............

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 5th, 2018, 07:01 PM
Another good candidate for the MAC, especially after the "Temple experiment" fails.

Thankfully this prognostication was wrong! The MAC "Temple Experiment" actually saved Owl football and gave the conference some added exposure.

Go...gate
March 5th, 2018, 07:19 PM
That UMass move was pure hubris. But they don't seem to be retreating from FBS yet.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 6th, 2018, 01:57 AM
Says something about the history of this place that a 13 year old thread can get bumped. xlolx

UNHWildcat18
March 6th, 2018, 06:28 AM

God forbid if UCONN and UMASS went FCS again, which I doub't they would, there would probably be a new conference formed.

America East would have SBU UA UM UNH all in a conference. if UMass UConn need a home, URI will go along with any of the northern schools. AE makes their own conference of 7 and if thats the case you have what left over UD JMU UR W&M TU Elon Nova thats another 7. I don't see the CAA going to 14 teams. if JMU leaves for FBSwhats stopping the caa from disbanding telling Elon W&M UR to head to the soconn? kick UD Nova Towson up to the new AE(maybe they keep CAA name)

AE(CAA) 10
UNH
UMaine
UMass
SBU
UA
URI
Nova
UD
TU
Uconn

Soconn 12
Elon
W&M
UR
MERCER
Wofford
Citadel
WCU
Samford
ETSU
VMI
FURMAN
CHATTY

That or we get a 14 team CAA league which would suck. THIS IS NEVER GONNA HAPPEN ANYWAYS THOUGH

Laker
March 6th, 2018, 07:37 AM
Says something about the history of this place that a 13 year old thread can get bumped. xlolx

xthumbsupxPretty impressive in today's world that this has lasted longer than many marriages and businesses.

Serpentor
March 6th, 2018, 12:01 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67ragXpWsAI

BadlandsGrizFan
March 6th, 2018, 01:20 PM
God forbid if UCONN and UMASS went FCS again, which I doub't they would, there would probably be a new conference formed.

America East would have SBU UA UM UNH all in a conference. if UMass UConn need a home, URI will go along with any of the northern schools. AE makes their own conference of 7 and if thats the case you have what left over UD JMU UR W&M TU Elon Nova thats another 7. I don't see the CAA going to 14 teams. if JMU leaves for FBSwhats stopping the caa from disbanding telling Elon W&M UR to head to the soconn? kick UD Nova Towson up to the new AE(maybe they keep CAA name)

AE(CAA) 10
UNH
UMaine
UMass
SBU
UA
URI
Nova
UD
TU
Uconn

Soconn 12
Elon
W&M
UR
MERCER
Wofford
Citadel
WCU
Samford
ETSU
VMI
FURMAN
CHATTY

That or we get a 14 team CAA league which would suck. THIS IS NEVER GONNA HAPPEN ANYWAYS THOUGH

Or they could just join the Big Sky, we already have like 28 teams and unbalanced schedules making it possible for a D2 school to win the conference.

OhioHen
March 7th, 2018, 08:05 AM
Or they could just join the Big Sky, we already have like 28 teams and unbalanced schedules making it possible for a D2 school to win the conference.

So you're saying Idaho has a chance to win the conference title?

Redbird 4th & short
March 7th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Lot of rumblings at ISUr starting with hiring of Spack in 2009, Hancock 2.0 in 2013, big new scoreboard in 2014, new turf in 2018, and ongoing stronger commitment from school towards football program. We've made small-medium incremental progress since 2009. Spack made a lot of nice coaching hires this offseason with 6 positions turned over .. that probably hurt his budget and is reason we are stuck with NAIA game still.

But reality is until the donors and fans step up MORE in short term, the "Field of Dreams" strategy of some ISUr FBS or bust fans/donors who sit on their hands, are sayin "if you build it, then we will come", will not get it done. No President or AD wants to make that leap and fail. They would rather take more calculated smaller risks, then go all in.

Next big step for us is Multipurpose Indoor facility ... fund raising is happening for this and other stuff, but no date has even been penciled in, much less penned in. Some believe AD Lyons is holding us back .. he is more of a go along/get along guy. And reportedly has reneged on certain promises to the 2nd tier of donor base. And there are just not enough tier 1 donors to make big things happen by themselves.

For now, I support the walk before you run approach given reality of where we are and how we settled for less for 50 years until 2009. Put everything into Indoor Practice Facility .. that will help current players prepare (OTAs and bad weather) and coaches recruit from warm weather states.

But the goal is to go FBS .. if and when it makes sense.

ElCid
March 8th, 2018, 08:40 AM
if JMU leaves for FBSwhats stopping the caa from disbanding telling Elon W&M UR to head to the soconn? kick UD Nova Towson up to the new AE(maybe they keep CAA name)

Socon 12
Elon
W&M
UR
MERCER
Wofford
Citadel
WCU
Samford
ETSU
VMI
FURMAN
CHATTY

That would be interesting. Guess we could have two divisions for scheduling.

Roanoke Div
Elon
WM
Rich
VMI
ETSU
WCU

Dixie Div
Cid
Fur
Wof
Mer
UTC
Sam

Never going to happen though. Be nice to have Richmond and WM back.

blaw0203
March 12th, 2018, 04:41 PM
I'd love to see my Rattlers join the Sunbelt. Our home attendance was the 3rd highest in FCS last season averaging over 19k fans per game - even with our HORRIBLE record for the past 5 seasons. A winning FAMU team is easily worth an average of 30k plus fans! We have plans to build a new 35k seat stadium, an athletic center and an indoor practice field. Once all of that is done, hopefully our team has drastically improved and we can get an invite!

Logistically, the Sunbelt makes too much sense for us!

NY Crusader 2010
March 12th, 2018, 06:34 PM
Has FAMU even recovered from their first failed attempted move to I-A/FBS? Why don't we first sit back enjoy the program come back to life in the MEAC and then move on from there. While the benefits of the Celebration Bowl are clear, would love to see the Rattlers in the playoffs again. I believe you guys are the last HBCU to win a I-AA/FCS playoff game.

no poster ever
March 13th, 2018, 02:10 AM
The Sunbelt is a great football conference that is respected from sea to shining sea. Any team that gets invited to that conference should thank their lucky stars.

TheKingpin28
March 13th, 2018, 08:20 AM
The Sunbelt is a great football conference that is respected from sea to shining sea. Any team that gets invited to that conference should thank their lucky stars.He's back!

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

UNHWildcat18
March 13th, 2018, 09:16 AM
The Sunbelt is a great football conference that is respected from sea to shining sea. Any team that gets invited to that conference should thank their lucky stars.

said.... no posters ever :D

Anthony215
March 13th, 2018, 09:53 AM
I'd love to see my Rattlers join the Sunbelt. Our home attendance was the 3rd highest in FCS last season averaging over 19k fans per game - even with our HORRIBLE record for the past 5 seasons. A winning FAMU team is easily worth an average of 30k plus fans! We have plans to build a new 35k seat stadium, an athletic center and an indoor practice field. Once all of that is done, hopefully our team has drastically improved and we can get an invite!

Logistically, the Sunbelt makes too much sense for us!

Would the same 30k fans come out to see FAMU play Texas State, Georgia Southern or Georgia State?? I would like to think the majority of their attendance numbers is due to them playing the likes of Bethune, SC State, NC A&T and Hampton (well that won't be the case any longer with them leaving the conference), along with OCC games with SWAC schools like Grambling, Southern, Jackson State and the Bama schools....

ASU33
March 13th, 2018, 12:58 PM
Has FAMU even recovered from their first failed attempted move to I-A/FBS? Why don't we first sit back enjoy the program come back to life in the MEAC and then move on from there. While the benefits of the Celebration Bowl are clear, would love to see the Rattlers in the playoffs again. I believe you guys are the last HBCU to win a I-AA/FCS playoff game.

Nope. The program hasn't been the same since. Its been one failure after failure and they've only had 3 winning seasons since 2003

Serpentor
March 14th, 2018, 07:37 PM

Sir, you are my new hero...

BisonFan02
March 14th, 2018, 08:46 PM

Said no poster ever. xlolx

Lion1983
March 14th, 2018, 09:43 PM

Beat thing I might have ever read. I'm speechless.

mmiller_34
March 16th, 2018, 07:05 PM

^^Whoever is running this account. Post more with it. Gold.

VandalBasher
April 2nd, 2018, 08:27 AM
By July, we will here about another team looking to do the move. From a risk standpoint, it ain't easy. But, there are some teams that have had success with the move.

wolfman61
April 3rd, 2018, 08:30 AM
Hello I'm a newb, just throwing this out there. How about the one school that would have a pretty easy time (moneywise) with reclassifying,Yale?

MR. CHICKEN
April 3rd, 2018, 08:44 AM
Hello I'm a newb, just throwing this out there. How about the one school that would have a pretty easy time (moneywise) with reclassifying,Yale?

.....GRASSHOPPER.......'AH-CORDIN'....TA WIKIPEDIA........ANY IVY COOD .......ENDOWMENTS....RANGE FROM BROWN'S 3.5 BILLION.......TA HAAVAAD'S.....34.5 BILL....DUH LARGEST IN DUH WHIRLD...DUCATS LIKE DAT......;)....AWK!

OhioHen
April 3rd, 2018, 08:44 AM

None of the Ivies will do anything that the rest don't do.

dewey
April 3rd, 2018, 08:52 AM

Pure gold!

Dewey

wolfman61
April 3rd, 2018, 09:04 AM
Actually already knew that, I grew up in the greater New Haven area. Always wanted to see Yale reenter FBS ball. They are such a storied program.

VandalBasher
April 3rd, 2018, 11:08 AM
Actually already knew that, I grew up in the greater New Haven area. Always wanted to see Yale reenter FBS ball. They are such a storied program.

There are a lot of fans from FCS programs that would like to see the move up. However, there are like five teams that have successfully transitioned since the exodus of 1996.

DFW HOYA
April 3rd, 2018, 11:45 AM

Not so. Harvard will do what it wants, and the others will follow. As the old saying goes, "You can always tell a Harvard man, but you can't tell him much."

Laker
April 3rd, 2018, 11:56 AM
By July, we will here about another team looking to do the move. From a risk standpoint, it ain't easy. But, there are some teams that have had success with the move.

Any hints?

TheKingpin28
April 3rd, 2018, 12:05 PM
Any hints?NMSU would be my guess. I don't think they can sustain their travel schedule and finances to maintain that FBS title.

Schools that should: UMASS, EMU, Charlotte, CCU, GaSU, GSoU

blaw0203
April 3rd, 2018, 07:54 PM
Would the same 30k fans come out to see FAMU play Texas State, Georgia Southern or Georgia State?? I would like to think the majority of their attendance numbers is due to them playing the likes of Bethune, SC State, NC A&T and Hampton (well that won't be the case any longer with them leaving the conference), along with OCC games with SWAC schools like Grambling, Southern, Jackson State and the Bama schools....

Definitely they would come! FAMU doesn't play Bethune-Cookman at home, so that game has no impact on our high attendance numbers. We also have not played SCSU in a couple years. Bethune and SCSU are the only rivals FAMU has in the MEAC. Now, our attendance figures against schools in the Sunbelt are GREAT! We have played several current Sunbelt members in Bragg Stadium when they were in FCS, and those games were always above 20,000 in attendance. We have Troy State on the schedule and thousands of Rattlers will be in attendance!

Hampton leaving the MEAC isn't shocking. The MEAC is an FCS conference and the travel costs simply doesn't make sense at this level. Throw in the fact that most MEAC schools don't have fanbases comparable to what we have or travel well, there really isn't an incentive to stay. We could easily pack out Bragg with Troy, Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, and bring in an FCS HBCU such as Bethune-Cookman, Southern, Tennessee State, each year for OOC games.

NY Crusader 2010
April 3rd, 2018, 09:13 PM
Given that FAMU's last foray into the I-A pool destroyed a once proud program and they have yet to recover after 15+ years, would you guys ever consider a different move?

To be specific, would you ever consider following Hampton and joining a stronger FCS conference like the SoCon or Big South?

mmiller_34
April 3rd, 2018, 09:40 PM
Given that FAMU's last foray into the I-A pool destroyed a once proud program and they have yet to recover after 15+ years, would you guys ever consider a different move?

To be specific, would you ever consider following Hampton and joining a stronger FCS conference like the SoCon or Big South?

Here is a good read on FAMU's tumble.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/5/4/11429522/florida-am-football-history-billy-joe-jake-gaither

bonarae
April 4th, 2018, 05:45 AM
NMSU would be my guess. I don't think they can sustain their travel schedule and finances to maintain that FBS title.

Schools that should: UMASS, EMU, Charlotte, CCU, GaSU, GSoU

How soon is soon to move down? xchinscratchx But I really think UMass moving up was the last straw to tumble in the falling reputation of Division I football in the Northeast. (the other pieces include MAAC causing most of their football programs to disband, Hofstra and Northeastern dropping, Ivies changing scheduling focus, etc.)

The Southern ex-FCS you mentioned are very committed to the FBS level, I believe. CFB is increasingly becoming a Southern-concentrated sport.

TheKingpin28
April 4th, 2018, 10:17 AM
How soon is soon to move down? xchinscratchx But I really think UMass moving up was the last straw to tumble in the falling reputation of Division I football in the Northeast. (the other pieces include MAAC causing most of their football programs to disband, Hofstra and Northeastern dropping, Ivies changing scheduling focus, etc.)

The Southern ex-FCS you mentioned are very committed to the FBS level, I believe. CFB is increasingly becoming a Southern-concentrated sport.

Everyone wants the spotlight, but at what cost? How badly does an administration want that FBS moniker over an FCS moniker? To think that some of these schools would rather hemorrhage money than be competitive at a level which would suit them best.

VandalBasher
April 4th, 2018, 02:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7ZoE4jyX4M

Here is what Dustin says.

ASU33
April 4th, 2018, 02:48 PM

A FAMU move to FBS is about as likely as James Madison joining the MEAC.

ursus arctos horribilis
April 4th, 2018, 04:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7ZoE4jyX4M

Here is what Dustin says.

He is wrong on some things but I do like his honest nature in admitting that he might be getting some things incorrect as he goes. Still, a fairly good list but man have we all went through all the minutia of reasons that each and every one of those probably won't/shouldn't go FCS....except EWU I suppose. xlolx

no poster ever
April 4th, 2018, 04:07 PM
The Eastern Washington Eagles are the most prepared and most likely team in FCS to make the move to FBS.

TheKingpin28
April 4th, 2018, 05:10 PM
The Eastern Washington Eagles are the most prepared and most likely team in FCS to make the move to FBS.

https://i.giphy.com/media/EouEzI5bBR8uk/giphy.webp

VandalBasher
April 4th, 2018, 06:14 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/13/eastern-washington-tries-to-address-58-million-ath/#/0

Eastern Washington is in a much better location to sustain a D1-FBS program than many other schools. But, it has to get their budget in order along with overall attendance.

Date
Time
Opponent#
Rank#
Site
TV
Result
Attendance

September 2
1:00 p.m.
at Texas Tech (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Texas_Tech_Red_Raiders_football_team)*
No. 5
Jones AT&T Stadium (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jones_AT%26T_Stadium) • Lubbock, TX (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubbock,_Texas)
RTNW (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_Sports_Northwest)
L 10–56

September 9
1:05 p.m.
No. 2 North Dakota State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_North_Dakota_State_Bison_football_team)*
No. 7
Roos Field (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roos_Field) • Cheney, WA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheney,_Washington)
ESPN3 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN3)
L 13–40

September 16
10:00 a.m.
at Fordham (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Fordham_Rams_football_team)*
No. 12
Coffey Field (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffey_Field) • Bronx, NY (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bronx)
STADIUM (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadium_(sports_network))
W 56–21

September 23
5:05 p.m.
at Montana (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Montana_Grizzlies_football_team)
No. 11
Washington–Grizzly Stadium (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington%E2%80%93Grizzly_Stadium) • Missoula, MT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missoula,_Montana) (EWU–UM Governors Cup (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EWU%E2%80%93UM_Governors_Cup))
RTNW[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Eastern_Washington_Eagles_football_team#cite_ note-tvschedule2017-1)
W 48–41

September 30
Sacramento State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Sacramento_State_Hornets_football_team)
No. 9
Roos Field • Cheney, WA
SWX WA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWX_Right_Now)
W 52–31

October 7
6:00 p.m.
at UC Davis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_UC_Davis_Aggies_football_team)
No. 10
Aggie Stadium (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggie_Stadium_(UC_Davis)) • Davis, CA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davis,_California)
Pluto TV (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto_TV)
W 41–38

October 14
Montana State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Montana_State_Bobcats_football_team)
No. 10
Roos Field • Cheney, WA
SWX WA
W 31–19

October 21
4:00 p.m.
at Southern Utah (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Southern_Utah_Thunderbirds_football_team)
No. 8
Eccles Coliseum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eccles_Coliseum) • Cedar City, UT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_City,_Utah)
ELVN (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleven_Sports_Network_(United_States))
L 28–46

November 4
No. 19 Weber State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Weber_State_Wildcats_football_team)https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Dagger-14-plain.png
No. 11
Roos Field • Cheney, WA
SWX WA
L 20–28

November 11
11:05 a.m.
at North Dakota (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_North_Dakota_Fighting_Hawks_football_team)
No. 19
Alerus Center (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alerus_Center) • Grand Forks, ND (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Forks,_North_Dakota)
Midco (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midco)
W 21–14

November 18
3:05 p.m.
Portland State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Portland_State_Vikings_football_team)
No. 18
Roos Field • Cheney, WA (The Dam Cup (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dam_Cup))
RTNW[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Eastern_Washington_Eagles_football_team#cite_ note-tvschedule2017-1)
W 59–33

*Non-conference game. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Dagger-14-plain.pngHomecoming. #Rankings from STATS FCS Poll released prior to game. All times are in Pacific Time (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Time_Zone).

ursus arctos horribilis
April 5th, 2018, 12:31 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/13/eastern-washington-tries-to-address-58-million-ath/#/0

Eastern Washington is in a much better location to sustain a D1-FBS program than many other schools. But, it has to get their budget in order along with overall attendance.

Date
Time
Opponent#
Rank#
Site
TV
Result
Attendance

September 2
1:00 p.m.
at Texas Tech (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Texas_Tech_Red_Raiders_football_team)*
No. 5
Jones AT&T Stadium (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jones_AT%26T_Stadium) • Lubbock, TX (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubbock,_Texas)
RTNW (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_Sports_Northwest)
L 10–56

September 9
No. 2 North Dakota State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_North_Dakota_State_Bison_football_team)*
No. 7
Roos Field (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roos_Field) • Cheney, WA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheney,_Washington)
ESPN3 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN3)
L 13–40

September 16
10:00 a.m.
at Fordham (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Fordham_Rams_football_team)*
No. 12
Coffey Field (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffey_Field) • Bronx, NY (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bronx)
STADIUM (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadium_(sports_network))
W 56–21

September 23
5:05 p.m.
at Montana (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Montana_Grizzlies_football_team)
No. 11
Washington–Grizzly Stadium (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington%E2%80%93Grizzly_Stadium) • Missoula, MT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missoula,_Montana) (EWU–UM Governors Cup (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EWU%E2%80%93UM_Governors_Cup))
W 48–41

September 30
Sacramento State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Sacramento_State_Hornets_football_team)
No. 9
Roos Field • Cheney, WA
SWX WA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWX_Right_Now)
W 52–31

October 7
6:00 p.m.
at UC Davis (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_UC_Davis_Aggies_football_team)
No. 10
Aggie Stadium (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggie_Stadium_(UC_Davis)) • Davis, CA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davis,_California)
Pluto TV (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto_TV)
W 41–38

October 14
Montana State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Montana_State_Bobcats_football_team)
No. 10
Roos Field • Cheney, WA
SWX WA
W 31–19

October 21
4:00 p.m.
at Southern Utah (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Southern_Utah_Thunderbirds_football_team)
No. 8
Eccles Coliseum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eccles_Coliseum) • Cedar City, UT (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_City,_Utah)
ELVN (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eleven_Sports_Network_(United_States))
L 28–46

November 4
No. 19 Weber State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Weber_State_Wildcats_football_team)https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Dagger-14-plain.png
No. 11
Roos Field • Cheney, WA
SWX WA
L 20–28

November 11
11:05 a.m.
at North Dakota (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_North_Dakota_Fighting_Hawks_football_team)
No. 19
Alerus Center (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alerus_Center) • Grand Forks, ND (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Forks,_North_Dakota)
Midco (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midco)
W 21–14

November 18
3:05 p.m.
Portland State (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Portland_State_Vikings_football_team)
No. 18
Roos Field • Cheney, WA (The Dam Cup (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dam_Cup))
W 59–33

*Non-conference game. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/37/Dagger-14-plain.pngHomecoming. #Rankings from STATS FCS Poll released prior to game. All times are in Pacific Time (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Time_Zone).

No, they are not in any better location that Idaho was really and they are not in any position as the crowd and budget, and the facilities, and several other things provide plenty of testimony to.

Now if you are saying down the road they would take over Spokane and replace WSU as the primary team I'm not sure how that would work either since we would be talking about Pac 12 vs....well if Idaho couldn't find one I'm not sure how EWU would either? So don't see a conference option either.

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 5th, 2018, 01:41 PM

The 4 schools that are the "most prepared" are Harvard, Yale, Penn and Princeton. They have the money, the facilities, "pull" and history to instantly be relevant in FBS. They could operate and schedule successfully as an independent or form some sort of alliance with the academic minded Big 10. Obviously this would never happen. Rather, if they wanted to make the move it could happen.

no poster ever
April 5th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Go Lehigh TU owl is the one poster on AGS that can truly pick up on the subtleties, nuances, and basic premise of humor.

UNHWildcat18
April 5th, 2018, 01:54 PM
Go Lehigh TU owl is the one poster on AGS that can truly pick up on the subtleties, nuances, and basic premise of humor.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27370&stc=1

DFW HOYA
April 5th, 2018, 05:08 PM
The 4 schools that are the "most prepared" are Harvard, Yale, Penn and Princeton. They have the money, the facilities, "pull" and history to instantly be relevant in FBS. They could operate and schedule successfully as an independent or form some sort of alliance with the academic minded Big 10. Obviously this would never happen. Rather, if they wanted to make the move it could happen.

Actually, it would be Villanova (and to a lesser extent, Georgetown) because of basketball. A Villanova football program in I-A gives the fledgling ACC Network a market they do not currently have for PA cable systems, while a team in the DC-Baltimore area (even Navy) restores that market for ACC football since Maryland left.

But to your point above, and for a variety of reasons, (pro stadium availability being only one factor), it's not happening.

The next school to consider the Sun Belt is still....JMU. They didn't build this stadium to play URI.

http://sites.jmu.edu/walkingtours/files/2013/02/today.jpg

Lion1983
April 5th, 2018, 06:07 PM
Actually, it would be Villanova (and to a lesser extent, Georgetown) because of basketball. A Villanova football program in I-A gives the fledgling ACC Network a market they do not currently have for PA cable systems, while a team in the DC-Baltimore area (even Navy) restores that market for ACC football since Maryland left.

But to your point above, and for a variety of reasons, (pro stadium availability being only one factor), it's not happening.

The next school to consider the Sun Belt is still....JMU. They didn't build this stadium to play URI.

Why not? Why does someone in FCS that has a nice venue automatically want to go FBS? Maybe more FCS programs need to step up and build nicer venues, pay coaches more, be more competitive in general and help make FCS something more popular, or at least more relevant. I think it would be awesome for an FCS school to have a 60k seat stadium (and be able to fill it constantly). Just my thought.

ASU33
April 5th, 2018, 06:16 PM

This stadium is amazing!

PAllen
April 6th, 2018, 04:39 AM
This 1/2 stadium is amazing!

FYP

VandalBasher
April 6th, 2018, 09:27 AM
FYP

Bronco Stadium in Boise, at one time, was similar. This stadium has lots of room to grow. I am certain there are plans in place to add in the additional seats to complete the look.

PAllen
April 6th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Bronco Stadium in Boise, at one time, was similar. This stadium has lots of room to grow. I am certain there are plans in place to add in the additional seats to complete the look.

And when it does, the other half may look amazing too. :)

Go Lehigh TU owl
April 6th, 2018, 03:27 PM
This stadium is amazing!

It's nice but a bit awkward imo. I was there in 2015 for a game and drove but it two weeks ago on my way home from Roanoke. They definitely went on the cheaper side of things in terms of the construction/build quality. Washington-Griz feels more solid, put together. I liked Montana State's digs a bit more too.

Franks Tanks
April 6th, 2018, 06:49 PM
Why not? Why does someone in FCS that has a nice venue automatically want to go FBS? Maybe more FCS programs need to step up and build nicer venues, pay coaches more, be more competitive in general and help make FCS something more popular, or at least more relevant. I think it would be awesome for an FCS school to have a 60k seat stadium (and be able to fill it constantly). Just my thought.

Sorry, I don’t think that makes sense. FCS is about cost containment. By the way at least 2/3 of the FBS can’t consistently fill a 60k seat stadium. Power conference schools like Washington State and Oregon State have like 38k seat stadiums. Virtually any school that can fill a 60k seat stadium will be power 5 as that’s where they belong.

Lion1983
April 6th, 2018, 09:22 PM
Sorry, I don’t think that makes sense. FCS is about cost containment. By the way at least 2/3 of the FBS can’t consistently fill a 60k seat stadium. Power conference schools like Washington State and Oregon State have like 38k seat stadiums. Virtually any school that can fill a 60k seat stadium will be power 5 as that’s where they belong.

I think your right and wrong, yeah, FCS is a cost cutting option, but there is no cap on how much is spent, except for scholarships. Nothing says that a FCS program can't have a $50M dollar budget, a 60k seat stadium that cost $90M, a $50M dollar workout facility and so on. (I'm going overboard on the numbers I know) but there is nothing to cap that stuff, and to me, a schools athletic affiliations should be based on what schools the individual schools see as peers, or have a lot in common. I'm just saying, if a school choices to have the more expensive things, and the bigger stadiums, don't automatically mean they are looking to be in FBS, my opinion, way more than half of FBS programs should be FCS.