PDA

View Full Version : Breaking: Patriot League Changes Academic Index For 2009

Lehigh Football Nation
June 13th, 2008, 11:15 AM
A link to the release, and my thoughts, are on the blog.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

I will be updating this most likely during the course of the day.

DRocksDad
June 13th, 2008, 11:45 AM
anyone have any clue what the AI formula actually is for PL or IVY? I am anxious to calculate my son's AI to see where he lies in the pack for recruiting.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 13th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I can't vouch completely for this external website, but I have used this to get a ballpark figure of AIs:

http://www.collegeconfidential.com/academic_index3.htm

TheValleyRaider
June 13th, 2008, 12:57 PM
At last, a "Breaking" headline worth discussing

Wouldn't surprise me if this will be the only thing they get done this time, so another year without scholarships goes by....

AppAlum2003
June 13th, 2008, 01:29 PM
BREAKING NEWS: ....no one really cares.

Gamecocks99
June 13th, 2008, 01:36 PM

AMEN

jaxstatealum
June 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM
xthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
June 13th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Doesn't read like any changes are in place for football--look forward to more analysis on the matter.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 13th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Jax State fans coming out of the woodwork to denounce academic standards? How come this strikes me as hilarious? xlolx

Good luck with Perriloux.. and good luck with that APR thing... xrolleyesx

colorless raider
June 13th, 2008, 02:36 PM
The changes are a step in the right direction. I would hope that the scholarship issue is still on the table as the pressure from the Ivies finances will kill us without schollies.

Go...gate
June 13th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Strong words, when some of the ASU guys post every time one of their guys takes a dump! :p xpeacex

Go...gate
June 13th, 2008, 02:42 PM
The changes are a step in the right direction. I would hope that the scholarship issue is still on the table as the pressure from the Ivies finances will kill us without schollies.

No more low graduation rates from selected BB members, either. I like the idea.

AppAlum2003
June 13th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Strong words, when some of the ASU guys post every time one of their guys takes a dump! :p xpeacex

Hey, hemmroids are a serious issue and prevention is the key! xeekx

LEHIGH61
June 13th, 2008, 03:12 PM
LEHIGH 33 JAX STATE 0 That's all I remember about Jax State

Go...gate
June 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM
LEHIGH 33 JAX STATE 0 That's all I remember about Jax State

Forgot about that one. xnodx

Seawolf97
June 13th, 2008, 08:34 PM
That is good news . Just a question - Are all sports in the PL non scholarship?

AppAlum2003
June 13th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Wow, negative rep from Mr. C for my "no one really cares" post. Take it or leave it, but I'm right.

"Blah blah blah, they're called STUDENT-athletes! blah blah blah." That's the biggest load of crap. We're entertained by touchdowns, not GPA's. Anyone that disagrees is lying to themselves.

TheValleyRaider
June 13th, 2008, 09:32 PM
That is good news . Just a question - Are all sports in the PL non scholarship?

Actually, football is the only non-scholarship sport in the PL. Everything else allows schollys

"Blah blah blah, they're called STUDENT-athletes! blah blah blah." That's the biggest load of crap. We're entertained by touchdowns, not GPA's. Anyone that disagrees is lying to themselves.

It's not a zero-sum game xrolleyesx

Sorry you don't care if your team's players are good students as well as good athletes, but that's no reason to complain about us caring xnonox

bison137
June 13th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Actually, football is the only non-scholarship sport in the PL. Everything else allows schollys

Athletic scholarships can be given in all other PL sports. However most sports at most schools remain non-scholarship. Bucknell still does not give them in any PL sport except hoops.

ngineer
June 13th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Doesn't read like any changes are in place for football--look forward to more analysis on the matter.

Yes..while this may help us internally, I see this a 'breaking wind' as opposed to breaking news. The PL has to decide where the League is going viz the other leagues.

Go...gate
June 13th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Yes..while this may help us internally, I see this a 'breaking wind' as opposed to breaking news. The PL has to decide where the League is going viz the other leagues.

I agree. It does not change our compeititiveness with 63-scholarship conferences and probably does not change our competitiveness with other limited or non-scholarship leagues which are doing things like broadening their base and adding schools (PFL) or adding scholarships (NEC).

I wonder if, at base, that the 18% graduation rate for American Men's BB from about 5 years ago, recently was disclosed and discussed here, was a motivating factor to the league. AU's numbers have definitely improved in the last five years but the whole idea of an 18% graduation rate for any team at any time must have been horrifying for the Council of Presidents and Carolyn Femovich (who is a very nice person, BTW).

ngineer
June 13th, 2008, 11:56 PM
I agree. It does not change our compeititiveness with 63-scholarship conferences and probably does not change our competitiveness with other limited or non-scholarship leagues which are doing things like broadening their base and adding schools (PFL) or adding scholarships (NEC).

I wonder if, at base, that the 18% graduation rate for American Men's BB from about 5 years ago, recently was disclosed and discussed here, was a motivating factor to the league. AU's numbers have definitely improved in the last five years but the whole idea of an 18% graduation rate for any team at any time must have been horrifying for the Council of Presidents and Carolyn Femovich (who is a very nice person, BTW).

I agree that the basketball figures our of American were shocking and an embarrassment to the league and that a message has been sent.

colorless raider
June 14th, 2008, 07:48 AM

Femovich is a weak leader and will not get us to scholarship land.xsmhx

bobbythekidd
June 14th, 2008, 07:56 AM
That's the biggest load of crap. We're entertained by touchdowns, not GPA's.
Keep that attitude and you will start losing scholarships. xnodx

ngineer
June 14th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Wow, negative rep from Mr. C for my "no one really cares" post. Take it or leave it, but I'm right.

That attitude says alot about a school's approach to its 'mission'. The overwhelming majority of FCS players will never play on Sunday. If there is no priority in their education, then the school's mission is out of whack, and results in lowered reputation for it's diploma which impact all alums. Using talented athletes for a couple years, then kicking them to the curb does a lot of harm to a lot of people. When it's no longer a STUDENT-athlete, it's no longer an institution of higher learning.

Go...gate
June 14th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Femovich is a weak leader and will not get us to scholarship land.xsmhx

I'm interested how you have reached this conclusion.

colorless raider
June 15th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I'm interested how you have reached this conclusion.

By paying attention..close attention to what happens and does not happen. For instance it has been apparent for two years the the AI was not working. Why? Because our floor was above the Ivies. Lots of luck with that. The reaction time is too slow. Back in the day of Carl Ulrich the commissioner took a leadership role in working with t he presidents. She has not done that, the ideas germinate with the AD's then to the presidents and then action.

Go...gate
June 15th, 2008, 08:40 PM
By paying attention..close attention to what happens and does not happen. For instance it has been apparent for two years the the AI was not working. Why? Because our floor was above the Ivies. Lots of luck with that. The reaction time is too slow. Back in the day of Carl Ulrich the commissioner took a leadership role in working with t he presidents. She has not done that, the ideas germinate with the AD's then to the presidents and then action.

Your point is well taken. Thanks for elaborating.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 16th, 2008, 09:21 AM

FWIW this is not necessarily the commissioner's fault... if at any time ideas stagnate at the AD level and/or presidential level... then there will be "inaction".

Remember too that not all schools are affected by the AI equally. It might have evident at Colgate that the AI was not working, but not necessarily at other schools.

Gamecocks99
June 19th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Jax State fans coming out of the woodwork to denounce academic standards? How come this strikes me as hilarious? xlolx

Good luck with Perriloux.. and good luck with that APR thing... xrolleyesx

No one is denouncing your academic standards. We understand APR I promise you that. Maybe not our players like they should. But you would win that side of the game hands down. But You can not be superman all the time you have to be Clark Kent part of the time. Also, We are glad that you have high academic stanards. But please do not be upset with the ones of us that prefer to talk about more of who is going to playing who and who has a better chance of winning over who etc. Sorry but some of us are just not interested in discussing the PL new index.
Sorry for commenting I want butt in to your thread next time

By the way what Jax State fans remember is that our university has won a National Championships in the following: Football in '92 & ( football NC Runner up in 77' & 83' ) a NC in Basketball in 85' and back to back NC in Baseball in 90' & 91' and a NC in Gymnastics in 84'.

Not too shabby ! xsmiley_wix

gmoney55
June 19th, 2008, 02:27 PM
No one is denouncing your academic standards. We understand APR I promise you that. Maybe not our players like they should. But you would win that side of the game hands down. But You can not be superman all the time you have to be Clark Kent part of the time. Also, We are glad that you have high academic stanards. But please do not be upset with the ones of us that prefer to talk about more of who is going to playing who and who has a better chance of winning over who etc. Sorry but some of us are just not interested in discussing the PL new index.
Sorry for commenting I want butt in to your thread next time

By the way what Jax State fans remember is that our university has won a National Championships in the following: Football in '92 & ( football NC Runner up in 77' & 83' ) a NC in Basketball in 85' and back to back NC in Baseball in 90' & 91' and a NC in Gymnastics in 84'.

Not too shabby ! xsmiley_wix

I see your point, but if this step eventually leads to scholarships, you would likely have a much more competitive PL nationally.

Pard94
June 20th, 2008, 09:42 AM

You're not supposed to care moron...it's a Patriot League post.

AppAlum2003
June 20th, 2008, 12:24 PM
You're not supposed to care moron...it's a Patriot League post.

ohhhhh... name calling?!? Seriously, we're resorting to name calling?

TheValleyRaider
June 20th, 2008, 01:54 PM
ohhhhh... name calling?!? Seriously, we're resorting to name calling?

You started it....Troll xmadx

:p

AppAlum2003
June 20th, 2008, 01:59 PM
You started it....Troll xmadx

:p

OK, maybe the whole "who cares" was a little harsh. But it was more of a sarcastic response to the fact that it was BREAKING NEWS!!!! Patriot League fans may care about it, but I wouldn't say it was stopping any presses.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 20th, 2008, 02:54 PM
OK, maybe the whole "who cares" was a little harsh. But it was more of a sarcastic response to the fact that it was BREAKING NEWS!!!! Patriot League fans may care about it, but I wouldn't say it was stopping any presses.

It stopped my presses... :p

LBPop
June 20th, 2008, 03:39 PM
It stopped my presses... :p

Mine slowed down just a bit. ;) Hard for a Georgetown fan to get worked up over technical policy changes when the Hoya fundamentals need so much work. If they get their act together just a bit, this could be good news.

ngineer
June 20th, 2008, 10:51 PM

Believe it or not, this is 'breaking news' in the PL...Unfortunately, we have an academic index in this league we have to live with...obviously other leagues don't care.