PDA

View Full Version : GSU, Lamar...Who's Next?

DFW HOYA
June 12th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Who's the next school on the I-AA/CS roster?

Seawolf97
June 12th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Loyola could be interesting . They are excellent in lacrosse and would probably field a pretty good football team. A good rival for Georgetown if they went into the Patriot League and Towson as an out of conference rival.
New stadium looks impressive for maybe 6 home lacrosse games . Doesnt sound right but we will see.

GeauxLions94
June 12th, 2008, 09:07 PM
I voted WSU for the next program, with UTSA the next in line.

gophoenix
June 12th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I think none of the above.

I think High Point University is next.

TexasTerror
June 12th, 2008, 09:58 PM
UTSA won't play a snap in the SLC. It's right to FBS after a short stint as an FCS Independent I fear...

Should be noted that UTSA is voting soon on the football issue, I believe before the end of the month.

MplsBison
June 12th, 2008, 10:16 PM
How about if Georgetown actually plays DI football. You know, give scholarships.

gophoenix
June 13th, 2008, 05:44 AM
How about if Georgetown actually plays DI football. You know, give scholarships.

xrolleyesx Georgetown gives the same grants the rest of the Patriot teams do. These count. Give it a rest.

TexasTerror
June 13th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Why are all the votes going to Kennessaw St? Is there something I don't about that I need to go read?

ButlerGSU
June 13th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Why are all the votes going to Kennessaw St? Is there something I don't about that I need to go read?

I believe Kennessaw is now the 3rd largest university in the state of Georgia. It's full of non-traditional students currently and they don't have much of a campus but it is growing like a weed.

Ivytalk
June 13th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Wichita State.xnodx

T-Dog
June 13th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I'll go with the one not named and could happen.

UNC-Wilmington. It would complicate the CAA in football, but there's been talk every now and then and there is interest there.

Purple Pride
June 14th, 2008, 07:04 AM
A GSC team.

UNA, UWG, or VSU.xthumbsupx

CRAZY_DANE
June 14th, 2008, 08:17 AM
I owned a house in Kennesaw and I currently live in Atlanta. The last thing metro Atlanta needs is it's fourth college football team. I would see GT, UGA, GSU stopping Kennesaw. What is this, Florida?

BlazerDawg
June 14th, 2008, 08:20 PM
A GSC team.

UNA, UWG, or VSU.xthumbsupx

I hear ya. xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

VSU will be forced to eventually make the move based purely on the geography of competition.

BlazerDawg
June 14th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I owned a house in Kennesaw and I currently live in Atlanta. The last thing metro Atlanta needs is it's fourth college football team. I would see GT, UGA, GSU stopping Kennesaw. What is this, Florida?

How are they going to be able to stop it? I can see them maybe putting pressure on the Board of Regents to block fee increases, but I don't see them being able to stop such a decision by an individual institution.

Georgia State won the race with Kennesaw to get a program going. I just don't see people flocking to the Dome for Georgia State games. It'll be interesting to see how well Georgia State's alumni base reacts to the program once it hits the field. If they get off to a good start, I would expect that the pressure would soon begin to go to FBS, and the Atlanta media market will be a draw for the FBS conferences.

KSU has such a different market than does GSt. KSU could still start a program and build a 20-30K seat stadium on or near campus and lock in a completely different target audience that GT or GSt.

Every other program in the state is competing against UGA as far as fan draw goes. GSU and KSU won't be competing against each other. If GSt is able to draw a portion of its student body and alumni to games along with some local interest in Atlanta, they still will have lots of empty seats. KSU could do the same and fill a reasonably sized stadium.

mathman
June 15th, 2008, 12:54 PM
If the Georgia Dome proves to be a collegiate atmosphere killer then Georgia State should press Morris Brown to give up Herndon stadium. It is perfect for FCS play and MB can't use it. And as far as I know it is just sitting there like a beached whale, probably deteriorating due to lack of maintenance. I just found out that Herndon stadium is one additional rail station beyond the Georgia Dome and about 1.5 miles from GSU and the area probably has practice fields that Georgia State desperately needs.

Morris Brown is being stubborn. They fell into financial trouble and got bailed out and then shortly thereafter they got themselves in even deeper financial trouble again and no one wants to throw their good money after bad. MB now only has something like 50 students and 31 are graduating of which 28 are completing adult education programs. Of those 3 remaining actual grads I may add that their degrees are suspect because MB is unaccredited.

Even if MB manages to hold on and get reaccredited they'll be a shadow of their former self and even that wasn't much. Best thing for them to do is let Georgia State absorb them and GSU can deal with MB's creditors. GSU can make good use of their facilities and make the then former MB campus part of a significant university.

I doubt Georgia State will go FBS any time soon if ever, but if it does, well then the Dome or whatever may follow it may be more appropriat

BlazerDawg
June 15th, 2008, 02:59 PM
If the Georgia Dome proves to be a collegiate atmosphere killer then Georgia State should press Morris Brown to give up Herndon stadium. It is perfect for FCS play and MB can't use it. And as far as I know it is just sitting there like a beached whale, probably deteriorating due to lack of maintenance. I just found out that Herndon stadium is one additional rail station beyond the Georgia Dome and about 1.5 miles from GSU and the area probably has practice fields that Georgia State desperately needs.

Morris Brown is being stubborn. They fell into financial trouble and got bailed out and then shortly thereafter they got themselves in even deeper financial trouble again and no one wants to throw their good money after bad. MB now only has something like 50 students and 31 are graduating of which 28 are completing adult education programs. Of those 3 remaining actual grads I may add that their degrees are suspect because MB is unaccredited.

Even if MB manages to hold on and get reaccredited they'll be a shadow of their former self and even that wasn't much. Best thing for them to do is let Georgia State absorb them and GSU can deal with MB's creditors. GSU can make good use of their facilities and make the then former MB campus part of a significant university.

I doubt Georgia State will go FBS any time soon if ever, but if it does, well then the Dome or whatever may follow it may be more appropriat

The MB stadium seems like a win for all involved. MB would get some revenue, and GSt would get a more appropriate facility. I guess I can understand them not wanting somebody else in their house, but they really could benefit from such a plan.

ETA:

I just had interesting thought concerning the "absorb" comment. If that were to happen, GSt could declare all MB alumni as affiliate alumni or something along those lines. The teams could have a MB patch or something on their uniforms, and maybe the MB campus could be used as a something like a residential honors college keeping the MB name and history alive within the overall envelope of GSt.

PantherRob82
June 15th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I hope to see Wichita State. I almost want to donate to the cause.

BearsCountry
June 15th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I hope to see Wichita State. I almost want to donate to the cause.

For some strange reason I do to. We both know its not bc of ther fans sorry Shockerman, you are a good one.

henfan
June 16th, 2008, 10:37 AM
I don't see it happening next or even soon, but I'd be very surprised if George Mason University didn't elevate its club team to NCAA D-I in the next several years. We'll see.

PantherRob82
June 16th, 2008, 11:09 AM
For some strange reason I do to. We both know its not bc of ther fans sorry Shockerman, you are a good one.

I think I just want to be able to hate them year round? xconfusedx

CRAZY_DANE
June 17th, 2008, 08:44 PM
How are they going to be able to stop it?

One thing I've learned over the years, UGA owns Georgia. Gov Purdue isn't just an alum, he was a former backup QB. He writes letters to the AJC if he perceives UGA wasn't put in the best light in an article. I haven't met one UGA fan who thinks either GSU or KSU football is a good thing. Influence is everything and UGA has more than every other Georgia college combined. If UGA and Gov Purdue thinks it's a bad idea, it won't happen. Period.

BearsCountry
June 17th, 2008, 11:55 PM
I think I just want to be able to hate them year round? xconfusedx

We come pretty close, football would just take it up a step rivarly wise.

mathman
June 18th, 2008, 10:22 AM
One thing I've learned over the years, UGA owns Georgia. Gov Purdue isn't just an alum, he was a former backup QB. He writes letters to the AJC if he perceives UGA wasn't put in the best light in an article. I haven't met one UGA fan who thinks either GSU or KSU football is a good thing. Influence is everything and UGA has more than every other Georgia college combined. If UGA and Gov Purdue thinks it's a bad idea, it won't happen. Period.
Most of the opposition to Georgia State football I've heard comes from the Georgia Tech fans. Some even see Curry as a traitor for accepting the job. KSU's president Papp is a former Georgia Tech prof so GT people might see him as a traitor as well if he starts football.

But don't discount Georgia Tech's influence. Georgia Tech has twice as much money and brings in more research money than UGA. The one thing that amazed me that it got past UGA's opposition was the establishment of Georgia State's law school.

But yes, UGA is the state's favorite child. Georgia Southern and even KSU dream of being major universities in the state but they'll learn it is not wise to challenge UGA's position as top dog.

BlazerDawg
June 19th, 2008, 07:09 AM

You raise valid points.

I'm a UGA grad, and I am for the other programs.