PDA

View Full Version : WHO DOES THE RANKINGS

Stang Fever
October 12th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Here is my problem with the polls....

The rankings make no sense. Montana State, beaten by the Mustangs 38-10 earlier in the season, is ranked No. 8. Cal Poly dominated the game, just as they did the game against North Dakota State, and yet the bobcats are just two spots behind Cal Poly.

Cal Poly should be in the top three teams in the nation RIGHT NOW....No if ands buts about it...

The Number 1 team, Southern Illinois (even though they are a good team) has impressive wins over a winless team and an NAIA team......NAIA folks is significantly less competitive level of play...A loss against Western Michigan, A Div. I-A school and close wins against Missour State, and Wetern Illinois wraps up the salukis season. No wins against top 25 teams. But they're the NO. 1 Team...(GET REAL)

No.2 Montana, next up on the Mustangs' schdule, has one QUALITY win...They beat Idaho State 32-10 last week (and prior to this season nobody on earth had Idaho State as a QUALITY WIN) ISU was just over achieving...Yet they're four spots ahead of the Mustangs....

James Madison and Furman, the No. 3 and 4 team ranked teams, sing a similar tunes. Cal Poly has the most impressive schedule of the teams ahead of them. Cal Poly should, at the very LEAST be in the top three....
EAST COAST BIAS

But there is some good news....In a week and a half the Stangs travel toMissoula, Mont, for the most important game of the season. A win should all but wrap up a playoff berth and would propel the Mustangs past the team's best evr ranking at NO. 5....

But of course a loss in Missoula coupled wiht a loss to one of the Stangs remaining opponents would leave the team sitting at home watching the post-season unveil itself before them again.....

THE FACTS ARE THE FACTS PEOPLE.......the teams i mention have not played a soul....

89Hen
October 12th, 2005, 11:15 AM
The Number 1 team, Southern Illinois... No.2 Montana...
EAST COAST BIAS
Last time I checked, neither SIU nor Montana were east coast teams Jack. :deadhorse

SoCon48
October 12th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Ummm. He was clearly referring to Furman (SC) and James Madison (VA). Last I checked SC and VA were on the east coast.

JMUfan2008
October 12th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Ummm. He was clearly referring to Furman (SC) and James Madison (VA). Last I checked SC and VA were on the east coast.

Ummm. If he were talking about an east coast bias because of Furman and James Madison then they would be #1 & #2. I didn't understand this either, so settle down. He complains about #1 & #2 being too high and both are clearly not east coast teams. Can you please clarify Stang?

saint0917
October 12th, 2005, 11:24 AM

Ummm...They would be in the South. :rolleyes:

89Hen
October 12th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Ummm, you CAN'T claim east coast bias when #1 and #2 are not east coast teams. Are you saying that SIU and Montana are so clearly the best two teams in the country that nobody, even east coasters, could possibly have them anywhere but 1 and 2? Or is it that east coasters don't vote for 1 and 2? Or that east coasters are purposefully snubbing one west coast team because they fear too many west coast teams near the top? :cool:

Black and Gold Express
October 12th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Ummm...They would be in the South. :rolleyes:

I could have sworn both SC and VA border the Atlantic Ocean. Guess that's not "east coast" huh?

So, what exactly is "east coast" then?

saint0917
October 12th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Guess that's not "east coast" huh?

Your right it's not, it would be the South. Maybe on your map there is only East and West. But my map has North and South too. :rolleyes:

SoCon48
October 12th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Your right it's not, it would be the South. Maybe on your map there is only East and West. But my map has North and South too. :rolleyes:

Hmm by that rationale, Montana which he mentioned elsewhere in his article, would be in the North rather than the West. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

89Hen
October 12th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Hmm by that rationale, Montana which he mentioned elsewhere in his article, would be in the North rather than the West. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Correct. CalPoly, SacSt and Southern Utah are the only true western teams. :p

tribe_pride
October 12th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Can' t really speak to the others in front of Cal-Poly but I can see the argument for keeping JMU up there. They lost 1 game to a 15th ranked team in TSN (at CCU) and have blown out the rest of their competition including at Hofstra who has only lost to Furman and JMU. The rest of their schedule has been weak but they will be tested with games at UMass, Delaware and W&M all away. Just because you haven't played good competition yet doesn't mean you don't deserve a top ranking. If you go a whole season with only 1 or 2 tough games, then its tougher to support it at the end of the season.

Cal Poly is a great team too with 2 great wins but also a bad loss to an under 500 team.

Not saying that I would rank JMU above Cal-Poly but there is an argument for doing so.

And as for your East Coast Bias, only 4 of the top 10 schools are on the East Coast in TSN. (JMU, Furman, UNH and Hampton)

ngineer
October 12th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Last time I checked, neither SIU nor Montana were east coast teams Jack. :deadhorse

Nice observation there, Hen. Stang--don't get your shorts all up in knots. The games will take care of themselves. The polls don't mean a darn thing right now--only fodder for us degenerates to bitch about. ;)

ngineer
October 12th, 2005, 12:03 PM

Where's CitiDog?!!? :D

TexasTerror
October 12th, 2005, 12:06 PM
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? :eek:

Cal Poly is number one this week in a comparison poll of 31 rankings! :)

http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

Go live it up now before these rankings change and you'll have more folks to criticize...

OL FU
October 12th, 2005, 12:12 PM
Where's CitiDog?!!? :D

He is waiting to see what happens this weekend after playing his arch-rival. :)

catbob
October 12th, 2005, 12:24 PM
I agree that Poly should be a top 5 team, but #1 is pushing it. I'd have them at probably #2 or #3 if I had a say in the poll. :)

I also agree that the ranking right now aren't that important. Hell, being #1 is a curse this year so far.

saint0917
October 12th, 2005, 12:25 PM
I could have sworn both SC and VA border the Atlantic Ocean. Guess that's not "east coast" huh?

I wonder if the people in Georgia know there really in the "East" and not the South. WTF :rolleyes:

89Hen
October 12th, 2005, 12:31 PM
II'd have them at probably #2 or #3 if I had a say in the poll. :)
Thank God you don't, with your west coast bias. :p

catbob
October 12th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Cal Poly is a great team too with 2 great wins but also a bad loss to an under 500 team.

I hope you aren't serious that a loss to a I-A program should keep them out of #1 consideration. Their starting QB and leading rusher didn't even play in that game.

saint0917
October 12th, 2005, 12:34 PM

So Georgia and Florida are really in the East and NOT the South. :confused: :confused:

89Hen
October 12th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Saint, when talking about east coast bias, our western friends throw everyone east of Denver into the "East".

DemiGS
October 12th, 2005, 12:40 PM
This is getting silly :rolleyes:
Georgia/SC etc are in "The South". Typically that term describes the South Eastern portion of the U.S. Geographically speaking Texas and New Mexico are in the Southern portion of the country, yet they are not really in "The South". It’s all relative. Savannah is just as much an "East Coast" city as Boston, so yes-- they are East Coast. And back to the topic…Every journalist worth his salt knows that the soft West coast teams can’t hang with Eastern football. (Too bad there isn’t a smiley stirring a pot!!) Just Kidding West Side.

89Hen
October 12th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Savannah is just as much an "East Coast" city as Boston
:cool: You'd get shot in Faneuil Hall for that comment. :p

saint0917
October 12th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Saint, when talking about east coast bias, our western friends throw everyone east of Denver into the "East".

O.K. now I understand. I'll have to call my history teacher and tell him General Lee was really fighting for the "East" and not the "South" :D

OL FU
October 12th, 2005, 12:44 PM
O.K. now I understand. I'll have to call my history teacher and tell him General Lee was really fighting for the "East" and not the "South" :D

Damn, and I thought General Grant fought for the North not the east. Kinda the same thing huh.

OL FU
October 12th, 2005, 12:47 PM
This is getting silly :rolleyes:
Georgia/SC etc are in "The South". Typically that term describes the South Eastern portion of the U.S. Geographically speaking Texas and New Mexico are in the Southern portion of the country, yet they are not really in "The South". It’s all relative. Savannah is just as much an "East Coast" city as Boston, so yes-- they are East Coast. And back to the topic…Every journalist worth his salt knows that the soft West coast teams can’t hang with Eastern football. (Too bad there isn’t a smiley stirring a pot!!) Just Kidding West Side.

I like silly. But not to be silly. The bias, I assume, does not relate to geography as much as media. So yeah, I would consider us the south. We would certainly not fit into what is generally considered eastern media.

saint0917
October 12th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Damn, and I thought General Grant fought for the North not the east. Kinda the same thing huh.

General Grant did fight for the "North". Europe is to our "East", Grant didn't fight over their. Not the same huh. ;) :D

Stang Fever
October 12th, 2005, 02:21 PM
*sitting here with the biggest smile on my face

well to clear something up...when i speak of east coast bias...i do not mean of teams that or on the EAST COAST...i mean teams that East of lets say colorado or so.....were there time zone is not Pacific....yes some of the teams are in the SOUTH but when people talk about an East Coast bias..they also included teams from that general region as well....and what i further meant by that is that...Poly should be top 3..that was my point...regardless of poly loosing to a teamt hat is UNDER 500...get real...how many I-AA teams beat a I-A team every year...we go well under 50% every year...so stop trying to compare a I-A lose to a I-AA lose...its not the same...

OL FU
October 12th, 2005, 02:23 PM
General Grant did fight for the "North". Europe is to our "East", Grant didn't fight over their. Not the same huh. ;) :D

No he fought for the northeast and north mid-west. Lee for for the southeast and the southwest (the one east of New Mexico) :D

GannonFan
October 12th, 2005, 02:39 PM

well to clear something up...when i speak of east coast bias...i do not mean of teams that or on the EAST COAST...i mean teams that East of lets say colorado or so.....were there time zone is not Pacific....yes some of the teams are in the SOUTH but when people talk about an East Coast bias..they also included teams from that general region as well....and what i further meant by that is that...Poly should be top 3..that was my point...regardless of poly loosing to a teamt hat is UNDER 500...get real...how many I-AA teams beat a I-A team every year...we go well under 50% every year...so stop trying to compare a I-A lose to a I-AA lose...its not the same...

Man, you're just one angry person - if it's not the Patriot or Ivy League teams it's the lack of respect for Cal Poly. Are you seriously yapping about being 6th rather than 3rd or 2nd? At this point in the season? When you and everyone in front of you has one loss? Geez, relax, win your games and you'll get respect. You've got Montana, EWU, UC Davis, and Idaho St still ahead - win some of those and things will take care of themselves. Besides, it's all about getting into the playoffs - once you get there no one cares what you were ranked in week 6.

Beating Montana at Montana would be huge - you know how much love Mountain Time Zone teams get from the "east coast bias". :D

dbackjon
October 12th, 2005, 02:45 PM
stang fever - you would help your cause by not throwing out "east coast bias" and trashing the other teams - layout out your case, and don't give your school a bad name - keep it up, and pretty soon posters will knock Cal-Poly down a few places just to spite you - like they do to UMass because of certain UMass posters :p

HensRock
October 12th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Do you have any idea just how many I-AA teams are east of "Colorado or so".
There are 120 teams in I-AA. 107 of them are east of Colorado!

In order for there to be no "East Coast" or "West Coast" bias, a "fiar" top 25 ranking should include a weighted percentage of teams equal to that percentage of representation. In other words, the poll should contain 22 teams from east of colorodo and 3 from west of it.

So let's see, the current TSN poll has
#2 Montana
#6 Cal Poly
#9 Montana State
#12 Eastern Washington

That's 4 west of Colorado and ALL of them in the TOP HALF!!!
WAIT A MINUTE HERE !!!!
I'm claiming WEST COAST BIAS ON THIS POLL!!!!!!

http://www.gohens.net/images/I-AAMap.jpg

th0m
October 12th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Stang:

Why are you so hung up on polls? If you're good, you'll get your recognition come playoff time. We didn't get any respect either until we won it all.

89Hen
October 12th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Poly should be top 3..regardless of poly loosing to a teamt hat is UNDER 500...get real...how many I-AA teams beat a I-A team every year...
Troy isn't just a I-A team, they are one of the worst I-A teams. A top 3 I-AA should beat them.

McNeese75
October 12th, 2005, 04:52 PM
So Georgia and Florida are really in the East and NOT the South. :confused: :confused:

OK, soooooooooo, how many of you Eastern teams serve boiled peanuts in your concession stand at your home games?????? :D

Stang Fever
October 12th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Do you have any idea just how many I-AA teams are east of "Colorado or so".
There are 120 teams in I-AA. 107 of them are east of Colorado!

In order for there to be no "East Coast" or "West Coast" bias, a "fiar" top 25 ranking should include a weighted percentage of teams equal to that percentage of representation. In other words, the poll should contain 22 teams from east of colorodo and 3 from west of it.

So let's see, the current TSN poll has
#2 Montana
#6 Cal Poly
#9 Montana State
#12 Eastern Washington

That's 4 west of Colorado and ALL of them in the TOP HALF!!!
WAIT A MINUTE HERE !!!!
I'm claiming WEST COAST BIAS ON THIS POLL!!!!!!

http://www.gohens.net/images/I-AAMap.jpg

WOW!!! now I had no idea it was that bad...All the teams are over there...East of Colorado....So you make a great point

slostang
October 12th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Troy isn't just a I-A team, they are one of the worst I-A teams. A top 3 I-AA should beat them.

Not that I am coming to the aid of Stang Fever, I think he post from the heart too much and not enough from the head and hurts Cal Poly's image in doing so. But I had to respond to 89Hen's post. Troy (Formerly Troy State) was a top team out of the Southland Conference and was close to an annual participant in the I-AA playoffs not so long ago. I am sure since they moved to I-A with increased scholarships and budget they would be a fairly good I-AA now. Poly played them without their starting QB and RB. I think if we played them now I think we would beat them. I would rather play Troy and pick up a loss then schedule West Chester and pick up a win. I think you benifit from playing tougher competiion and it will help latter in conference play and if you do make it to the playoffs. Before you reply 89Hen, I know Delaware plays plenty of tough competition in the A-10.

I have have no problem with Cal Poly at #6 and agree the rest of the season will take care of itself.

blukeys
October 12th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Stang:

Why are you so hung up on polls? If you're good, you'll get your recognition come playoff time. We didn't get any respect either until we won it all.

Darn we have to get our common sense from someone 3,000 miles away and a couple of hundred feet below sea level. ;) ;) Maybe there is a mental benefit from those red light districts in Amsterdam. :D :D

th0m
October 12th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Darn we have to get our common sense from someone 3,000 miles away and a couple of hundred feet below sea level. ;) ;) Maybe there is a mental benefit from those red light districts in Amsterdam. :D :D

Lol. Couple of hundred feet is pushing it. Plus, I am on the 7th storey atm, so I might even be above sea-level ;)

About the red light districts, I know there are benifits to them, whether they're mental or physical, whatever flows your boat :p

saint0917
October 12th, 2005, 08:12 PM
No he fought for the northeast and north mid-west. Lee for for the southeast and the southwest (the one east of New Mexico) :D

North, South, East, West, it's all the same to me. Maybe that's why I get lost all the time when I driving. ;) :D

GrizzlyEdd
October 12th, 2005, 08:25 PM
This is a good quote from Cal Poly's Head Coach Rich Ellerson...talking about their remaining schedule.

“If you want to have success in the West, you have to go through Missoula," said Ellerson. “That is the ticket to the next level in our region.”

Stang... Ya need to look at what your coach has to say. It comes down to CP's game against the Griz on 10/22. You want the Mustangs to be rated in the top five or higher, then beat a top 5 team. Come to Missoula, play the Griz, win if ya can, then the Mustangs would deserve a top 5 or higher rating. Probably not until that happens will the Mustangs be rated much higher;)

ngineer
October 12th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Man, you're just one angry person - if it's not the Patriot or Ivy League teams it's the lack of respect for Cal Poly. Are you seriously yapping about being 6th rather than 3rd or 2nd? At this point in the season? When you and everyone in front of you has one loss? Geez, relax, win your games and you'll get respect. You've got Montana, EWU, UC Davis, and Idaho St still ahead - win some of those and things will take care of themselves. Besides, it's all about getting into the playoffs - once you get there no one cares what you were ranked in week 6.

Beating Montana at Montana would be huge - you know how much love Mountain Time Zone teams get from the "east coast bias". :D

Do that, and we'll start singing songs from "West Side Story"...
"Montana, I just beat a team named Montana. And suddenly I found
how wonderful a win can be....." :D

Stang Fever
October 12th, 2005, 09:29 PM
This is a good quote from Cal Poly's Head Coach Rich Ellerson...talking about their remaining schedule.

“If you want to have success in the West, you have to go through Missoula," said Ellerson. “That is the ticket to the next level in our region.”

Stang... Ya need to look at what your coach has to say. It comes down to CP's game against the Griz on 10/22. You want the Mustangs to be rated in the top five or higher, then beat a top 5 team. Come to Missoula, play the Griz, win if ya can, then the Mustangs would deserve a top 5 or higher rating. Probably not until that happens will the Mustangs be rated much higher;)

If you look at what i wrote...i said that the game at Montana is pretty much the make or break point of the season