PDA

View Full Version : The time has come for App State to follow...

blazrdog#1
June 11th, 2008, 05:58 AM
UAB,Marshall &Troy...go Div. I-A ...like it is gonna hurt NC,KY & SC!

appstate38
June 11th, 2008, 06:17 AM

If it means being a doormat like those 3 then I say NO THANKS!

AshevilleApp2
June 11th, 2008, 06:30 AM

WRONG!

OL FU
June 11th, 2008, 06:31 AM

I don't get itxconfusedx

Appaholic
June 11th, 2008, 07:43 AM

We will as soon as Samford returns to D-III.....xwhistlex

ASUMountaineer
June 11th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Confused why it matters about the states you listed. The only entity it hurts is Appalachian State. No reason to move up unless ASU can land in a big conference. However, ASU would suffer greatly being the 6th FBS school in the state with UNCC wanting to do the same. Not worth the money, time, effort, or losses.

KiddBrewer
June 11th, 2008, 08:34 AM
hmm...."Thats a bold strategy Cotton, lets see if it pays off".......

AppStFan76
June 11th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Think if we move up we can get some games on the "ocho"?

89Hen
June 11th, 2008, 08:53 AM
xlolx Yeah, there are three programs to aspire to emulate. xlolx

You do know that AppSt averaged 4,000 more fans per game than Troy last year and 8,000 more than UAB? And that Marshall's attendance has been waning over the years and now they are at only 78% capacity at their stadium? xlolx

AppSt = 24,219
Troy = 20,479
UAB = 16,706

g-webb1994
June 11th, 2008, 11:21 AM
No way, it would be a logistical nightmare, and why would Appy ruin a good thing?

AZGrizFan
June 11th, 2008, 11:55 AM

Think if we move up we can get some games on the "ocho"?

http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/l/M/4/dodgeballpuba.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/movies/1/0/n/d/4/dodgeballpubc.jpg

Watch out for Lazer, Blazer, Tazer, and Mi-Chelle....

IndianaAppMan
June 11th, 2008, 12:48 PM

How is Marshall a doormat? Granted, they've struggled the past three years, but overall their tenure in the FBS has been a rousing success: 2 legit Heisman candidates, including a future HOFer (R. Moss), several first-round draft picks, one undefeated season with a top ten ranking (which would have landed them a BCS bowl if it happened after the fifth game was added two years ago), and numerous conference titles. About five or six years ago, App State visited the "doormat" and got taken to the shed! Marshall has developed lots of tradition, pride, and a sufficient following for a school its size. Additionally, membership in C-USA lets them get on TV much more often, and they get that handsome slice of pie from the C-USA TV contract(s), which they can use towards better facilities for all their other sports. There's no doubt that the backing will be there for them to return to the winners' circle.

As for Troy, they beat Mike Gundy and his "I'M A MAN! I'M FORTY!" Oklahoma State Cowboys (who weren't bad themselves last year) and went 9-3 last year, finishing second in the Sun Belt. They missed a bowl game only because of the corrupt system that allows a lousy 6-6 Big Ten team into bowl games instead of a success like Troy. For such a new FBS program, I think that's pretty impressive; far from a doormat.

I'd say the jury is still out on UAB. They haven't been FBS for very long. I also think it's too early to write off the FIU program since they're so new.

Before writing off teams as doormats because of short-term struggles, consider this: Georgia Southern had a losing season a few years ago. App State missed the playoffs two straight years, losing every road game in 2003. LSU was terrible before Nick Saban came in. Would anyone have ever called them "doormat" prorgrams?

There are inevitable growing pains when a university desires to go from FCS to FBS, but if smart people with strong support are running the show, most teams can succeed in the FBS. It's the same way in the FCS. Several years ago, when Elon moved from D-II to the Big South and then the SoCon, they were AWFUL. I thought they'd be the Duke of the SoCon, a perma-doormat. Now look at them--because they have a smart AD & administration, they're real contenders to not only go to the playoffs, but to make a deep run. And, no, that doesn't mean Elon should attempt FBS. It just means that the move they made worked very well for them.

Now, some former FCS teams have been terrible failures, and they're the models App would NOT want to follow: La-Lafayette, La-Monroe, Idaho, Utah State, Buffalo. App State should have as fail-safe of a plan as possible before turning away from the comfy home they have in the SoCon/FCS.

Now, could App State be a success at the FBS level? It depends on how success is defined for one thing, but it seems that the wise thing to do is to keep banking on support and the momentum it's getting to help secure overall athletics, and more importantly, the awareness of App State's academic strengths.

Despite the success at App lately, it won't be moving to FBS for at least four years because of the NCAA moratorium, and the last thing I'd want is to see App move up to FBS in, say, 2013, just in time for Jerry Moore to retire. Should they move up eventually? That's a long, long debate with no certain answer. Fortunately none of us have to decide.

I-AA Fan
June 11th, 2008, 12:54 PM
The time has come for App State to follow ..." their way to another board, as the number of ASU threads on this board is beyond ridiculous & clearly the moderators do not care. Furthermore, if you had a chance to dominate the MAC & then move in C-USA, as Marshall did, and you would rather stay in I-AA, you have issues.

furman94
June 11th, 2008, 12:59 PM
blazrdog= alexale23

Mountaineer
June 11th, 2008, 01:01 PM
The time has come for App State to follow ..." their way to another board, as the number of ASU threads on this board is beyond ridiculous & clearly the moderators do not care.

One would think that opening any thread with App State in the title could mean a discussion about App State is taking place.

Don't they teach common sense, or how not be a whiney douchebag, at Youngstown State? xrolleyesx

You sir, get the coveted facepalm for continously whining, like a little girl I might add, about circumstances you can prevent.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/131/facepalmdr0.jpg

neersnbeers
June 11th, 2008, 01:06 PM

You do know that AppSt averaged 4,000 more fans per game than Troy last year and 8,000 more than UAB? And that Marshall's attendance has been waning over the years and now they are at only 78% capacity at their stadium? xlolx

AppSt = 24,219
Troy = 20,479
UAB = 16,706

Troy's attendance is dampened due to the fact that it is a commuter school with more then 1 campus (or at least it used to be).

IndianaAppMan
June 11th, 2008, 01:09 PM
One would think that opening any thread with App State in the title could mean a discussion about App State is taking place.

Don't they teach common sense, or how not be a whiney douchebag, at Youngstown State? xrolleyesx

You sir, get the coveted facepalm for continously whining, like a little girl I might add, about circumstances you can prevent.

Yikes, dude. Easy now:)

No way, it would be a logistical nightmare, and why would Appy ruin a good thing?

Very good point. App State is one of, if not the single most, difficult places for traveling teams to get to in all of Division 1, especially since there's no airport nearby.

Please call us App, App State, or Appalachian, not Appy.

Mountaineer
June 11th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Yikes, dude. Easy now:)

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/5315/back2thefutureone84rb8.jpg

"Since you're new here, I'm gonna cut you a break." ;)

catdaddy2402
June 11th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I'd say the jury is still out on UAB. They haven't been FBS for very long.
You also have to figure in that the University of Alabama Board is only going to allow UAB to have limited success because a successful UAB program might take a little attention away from the Crimson Tide. Witness the fact that UAB was not allowed to hire Jimbo Fisher as their head coach a few years back because of Paul Bryant Jr, and had a former Tide player and assistant coach, Neil Callaway, forced on them.

Now, some former FCS teams have been terrible failures, and they're the models App would NOT want to follow: La-Lafayette, La-Monroe, Idaho, Utah State, Buffalo.
ULA-LA has never been a I-AA/FCS team.

jaxstatealum
June 11th, 2008, 01:31 PM

My fellow Gamecocks may disagree, but I wish more of us had had that opinion in 1992. I would rather us have continued to be a DII power than a 1-AA whipping boy (our early years), but it is what it is...

Now I just hope for us to make some noise and go deep into the playoffs. As for Appy - if any team could make the move and win - you guys could xthumbsupx

IndianaAppMan
June 11th, 2008, 01:49 PM
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/5315/back2thefutureone84rb8.jpg

"Since you're new here, I'm gonna cut you a break." ;)

I must have watched that movie a hundred times when I was in elementary school. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

You also have to figure in that the University of Alabama Board is only going to allow UAB to have limited success because a successful UAB program might take a little attention away from the Crimson Tide. Witness the fact that UAB was not allowed to hire Jimbo Fisher as their head coach a few years back because of Paul Bryant Jr, and had a former Tide player and assistant coach, Neil Callaway, forced on them.

ULA-LA has never been a I-AA/FCS team.

Good point about UAB. ULA-LA may not have been FCS, but they're a total failure in the FBS. They should go to the FCS where they have a chance at being respectable. What are they trying to prove by staying in FBS? How to suck? They must subscribe to the "any publicity is good publicity notion." Except it's not good when the publicity is for losing year after year after year after...

My fellow Gamecocks may disagree, but I wish more of us had had that opinion in 1992. I would rather us have continued to be a DII power than a 1-AA whipping boy (our early years), but it is what it is...

Now I just hope for us to make some noise and go deep into the playoffs. As for Appy - if any team could make the move and win - you guys could xthumbsupx

Please say App State instead of Appy. :)

I'm not sure whether App State would do well in the FBS. The biggest reason is Boone's isolation, which would make it extra hard to entice any big-time program to do home-and-home. I learned from a Jackson State fan that Southern Miss spent 20 years going all over the country to big-time programs, playing 3 or 4 home games a year until recently, and they have an airport that makes it easy for opponents to get in and get out fast. Boone--no airport.

If App State would have ambitions to be a solid mid-major program like Southern Miss, it would mean years of road games that don't get returned. I don't think, barring drastic changes in circumstances, that App State could realistically be in an elite conference

I-AA Fan
June 11th, 2008, 01:50 PM

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/131/facepalmdr0.jpg

"Common sense" would tell anyone, that aside from proper moderation ...the only way to "prevent" it would be for ASU fans to exercise some self restraint and show concern for the other 133 schools that may possibly want to read a thread without being subjected to the glorification the Mountaineers & a football game from last August, or one this September. This is called manners & I was taught those by my parents long before I arrived at college ...judging by the wording in your reply ...your parents did not teach you a thing about manners, nor did you go to college.

It is not as if we can just ignore threads about ASU because ASU posters "hijack" any thread that seems to be worth reading, regardless of the title.

Death Dealer
June 11th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Appy, appy, appy, appy, appy, appy, appy, appy, appy, appy, appy, appy

:D xsmiley_wix xpeacex

Mountaineer
June 11th, 2008, 02:02 PM
...judging by the wording in your reply ...your parents did not teach you a thing about manners, nor did you go to college.

You'd be wrong. I've attended two!! xeekx xeekx

I imagine this is going to be you the rest of the summer:

xbabycryx xbabycryx xbabycryx xbabycryx

Knock yourself out. xthumbsupx

catdaddy2402
June 11th, 2008, 02:10 PM
ULA-LA may not have been FCS, but they're a total failure in the FBS. They should go to the FCS where they have a chance at being respectable. What are they trying to prove by staying in FBS? How to suck? They must subscribe to the "any publicity is good publicity notion." Except it's not good when the publicity is for losing year after year after year after...

Lot's of factors as to why a team that struggles chooses to remain in FBS over downgrading to FCS.

Money is one. While the Sun Belt doesn't get much money from their TV contract...it's more than any FCS conference gets. Also, FB teams get paid more for OOC body bag games. They also get a shot of home games against FBS teams. Would ULA-LA have had home games against teams like Fresno State, Houston, East Carolina, La Tech, Memphis, Miami-OH, or Texas A&M if they were FCS? No.

Exposure is another. Again, while the Sun Belt doesn't get a ton of national coverage it's more than any FCS conference gets.

AshevilleApp2
June 11th, 2008, 02:17 PM

:D xsmiley_wix xpeacex

xlolx xlolx

DLS
June 11th, 2008, 02:25 PM
"Common sense" would tell anyone, that aside from proper moderation ...the only way to "prevent" it would be for ASU fans to exercise some self restraint and show concern for the other 133 schools that may possibly want to read a thread without being subjected to the glorification the Mountaineers & a football game from last August, or one this September. This is called manners & I was taught those by my parents long before I arrived at college ...judging by the wording in your reply ...your parents did not teach you a thing about manners, nor did you go to college.

It is not as if we can just ignore threads about ASU because ASU posters "hijack" any thread that seems to be worth reading, regardless of the title.

your parents taught you manners on how to be considerate of others on the internet?

is your name millhouse?

elcid96
June 11th, 2008, 02:29 PM

AppSt = 24,219
Troy = 20,479
UAB = 16,706

That is a great point. Good teams move up, start to lose, and attendance goes down.

terrierbob
June 11th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Seems like groundhog day (The Movie).

IndianaAppMan
June 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM
That is a great point. Good teams move up, start to lose, and attendance goes down.

Attendance goes down for all teams when they're not winning. App wasn't even drawing capacity (16,650) until late in the 2005 playoffs.

UAB moved up from 1-AA to 1-A in 1996. As you can see, none of their attendance records were pre-1996; recent losing seasons may have kept some fans, but in general it seems that going FBS helped boost attendance in UAB's case.

(from wikipedia)
UAB Attendance Records Opponent Attendance
1 Southern Miss (2003) 44,669
2 Mississippi State (2006) 36,104
3 TCU (2004) 33,280
4 Troy (2006) 32,818
5 Virginia Tech (1998) 31,897
6 Southern Miss (2005) 31,363
7 Kansas (1998) 30,543
8 Houston (1999) 28,573

The capacity at Troy's stadium was below 17,500 prior to its move to 1-A, so drawing over 20,000 is obviously more than what they were capable bringing in 1-AA. (Remember: App's ability to exceed capacity by so many is fairly unique because of the hill & other open space.) And, of course, Troy is not losing most of its contests.

Especially if App State were to win at the FBS level, why would they not draw even more fans than they are now?xeyebrowx Troy's starting point when they moved up was lower than App's would be if they moved up now, so it's not too surprising that they haven't caught up to ASU in attendance. You also have to take into account that Troy is a commuter school (thus less interest in athletics), whereas App is not.

jaxstatealum
June 11th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Troy Sucks!!!!! Now only old Gamecocks will understand that ;) xsmiley_wix

Jerbearasu
June 11th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Attendance goes down for all teams when they're not winning. App wasn't even drawing capacity (16,650) until late in the 2005 playoffs.

They actually were drawing 20k + throughout the 05 season. I know the Coastal game had over 20k and I am pretty sure they averaged right around there. That was before they won the championship. I am pretty sure we have only had 1 playoff game with over 20k and that was this year's game against Richmond. Charlie Cobb and co really were able to hype up the games a lot better and the fact that RL was gone I think a lot more of our older alumni were more willing to come out and support the team. Your point is well taken regarding 02-04 attendence though...

AppMan
June 12th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Lot's of factors as to why a team that struggles chooses to remain in FBS over downgrading to FCS.

Money is one. While the Sun Belt doesn't get much money from their TV contract...it's more than any FCS conference gets. Also, FB teams get paid more for OOC body bag games. They also get a shot of home games against FBS teams. Would ULA-LA have had home games against teams like Fresno State, Houston, East Carolina, La Tech, Memphis, Miami-OH, or Texas A&M if they were FCS? No.

Exposure is another. Again, while the Sun Belt doesn't get a ton of national coverage it's more than any FCS conference gets.

Finally somebody around here gets it.

SideLine Shooter
June 12th, 2008, 08:19 PM
In my opinion, for whatever that is worth (not too much). I say when FBS gets a playoff system in place then ASU might start to consider a move. How about that for conversation....xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Death Dealer
June 12th, 2008, 10:06 PM

You ask that as if it were a positive. I'd rather host Delaware, Appy, GSU, and other FCS powerhouses than that rag tag band of FBS weak sisters, which is what Appy would be if they moved over (I disagree that it is and refuse to call it a move up)

Syntax Error
June 12th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Finally somebody around here gets it.I guess you have a partner now, after all these years. xrolleyesx

'neers80
June 12th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Going to FBS would be a HUGE mistake. I have been going to APP games for 18 years, and winning has been what has put App on the map. If we move up we will NEVER see the type of success that we are having now. I don't understand why people think this would be a good move. AT BEST we would make an insignificant bowl that no one cares about. Look at Marshall, and who cares anymore about the Thundering Herd. We could be the FSU, Miami, Ohio State, Southern Cal of FCS for years to come.

R.A.
June 13th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I can see Appy State in a major conference... you don't beat Michigan at the Big House, and win three consecutive FCS championships, then join the MAC. UConn's in the Big East. The Mountaineers could join the Big East and be competitive immediately. They have more name recognition than East Carolina does in the FBS. Aim high... but they should at least finish out the decade here in the FCS without starting to consider moving up to the FBS

ASU
June 13th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Going to FBS would be a HUGE mistake. I have been going to APP games for 18 years, and winning has been what has put App on the map. If we move up we will NEVER see the type of success that we are having now. I don't understand why people think this would be a good move. AT BEST we would make an insignificant bowl that no one cares about. Look at Marshall, and who cares anymore about the Thundering Herd. We could be the FSU, Miami, Ohio State, Southern Cal of FCS for years to come.

No....No.....No.....No.....No! Moving to FBS is not bad. Playing some non-discript school from some far away place that the fans have no interest in would be a problem. Playing Marshall, ECU, SEC, ACC, Big East schools would be good....plus playing as many of the FCS schools that we have rivalries with when we can. Winning is fine, but beating a team from Mars Hill (no offense to the fine school that it is) is not what most fans want. In order to be the best, you have to play the best, in order to be the best, you have to beat the best. Staying FCS, just to stack up wins is not a proper priority for our football program.

To those that do not like to read about Appalachian on their computers.....close the cover or pull the plug....tough. You can start threads about your school, if you were interested enough. Or you can just gripe like you are doing. Either way people are going to write about what they want to write about.

IndianaAppMan
June 13th, 2008, 07:11 AM
If we move up we will NEVER see the type of success that we are having now.

No, we wouldn't be national champions in FBS without the kinds of commitment that the powerhouses have. When you look at all the FBS national champions over the past 20-25 years, almost every single one of them had won one before. Outside of the elite group, there's almost no chance to win it all, even for middle-tier BCS teams, much less a non-BCS conference team.

Having said that, I think it's a matter of perspective. Former FCS teams Boise State and Marshall (except for the last few seasons) may not have had a shot at FBS titles (even though they deserved it), but both of those programs have had even more success than they did in the FCS. App State very well could do the same.

Look at Marshall, and who cares anymore about the Thundering Herd.

Let's be realistic here. When you say "who cares about Marshall," I'm assuming your talking about our little FCS world which hates Marshall from their 90's dominance. They have more fans show up to their games than App State does even when they're losing. So relatively speaking, the argument could be made that nobody cares about App State, either.

Nationally, though, people have had at least as much attention paid to Marshall. They've been on TV many more times in front of millions more viewers than App State. Even with the Michigan game and 3Peat, we're still more "small-time" than Marshall.

We could be the FSU, Miami, Ohio State, Southern Cal of FCS for years to come.

I think it could easily be argued that Boise State is the USC of the WAC, or that UCF iss the Ohio State of C-USA. The pro-FBS argument is that App State could be that, too, and that winning a C-USA or Sun Belt title is as challenging as winning the FCS championship.

I'd support ASU if they moved to the FBS, but I don't think it's best right now. Too many issues to work out, especially which conference to join. But I can understand all sides of the debate.

IndianaAppMan
June 13th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I can see Appy State in a major conference... you don't beat Michigan at the Big House, and win three consecutive FCS championships, then join the MAC. UConn's in the Big East. The Mountaineers could join the Big East and be competitive immediately. They have more name recognition than East Carolina does in the FBS. Aim high... but they should at least finish out the decade here in the FCS without starting to consider moving up to the FBS

App State's not the only team that wants to be in Big East. Memphis, ECU, UCF, Marshall, and Charlotte all want that. App State's gonna need a lot more wins over BCS teams in football AND basketball before their credentials could compete with other said teams.

UConn's been in the Big East since the early 80's. When their football upgraded to FBS, they didn't have to fight to get into the BE football conference since they were already a member for all other sports.

ASU
June 13th, 2008, 07:18 AM

Personally, I would love that.....especially in the fact that ECU supporters have been knocking their brains out (which is pretty hard for ECU supporters...just kidding) for years trying to get into the Big East. Probably will not happen, but if it did I could see many ECTC (old ECU name) jumping into the Albemarle Sound.

Considering that ECU will not play Appalachian, because they are afraid of us since we have a 2 to 1 winning ratio against them and they know that our 63 scholarship players would wipe the field with their 85 scholarship players......I would laugh myself down the side of the mountain if the Big East called App State and extended an invitation. Of course, they should do that.

SoCon48
June 13th, 2008, 07:20 AM
You ask that as if it were a positive. I'd rather host Delaware, Appy, GSU, and other FCS powerhouses than that rag tag band of FBS weak sisters, which is what Appy would be if they moved over (I disagree that it is and refuse to call it a move up)

Can't believe it. We agree on something.

SoCon48
June 13th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Finally somebody around here gets it.

"Getting it" and agreeing that we should go join up with a bunch of no name directional Louisiana teams is not synonymous.

It's called "opinion."

813Jag
June 13th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Just for future reference that school in Lafayette, La. should be referred to as UL-Laugh.

ASU
June 13th, 2008, 07:36 AM
App State's not the only team that wants to be in Big East. Memphis, ECU, UCF, Marshall, and Charlotte all want that. App State's gonna need a lot more wins over BCS teams in football AND basketball before their credentials could compete with other said teams.

UConn's been in the Big East since the early 80's. When their football upgraded to FBS, they didn't have to fight to get into the BE football conference since they were already a member for all other sports.

I disagree....which is my right....the Big East should look at potential. Considering all their basketball playing members they may not make many changes anyway....since they are huge in basketball.
Why take ECU out of the cow pastures of Eastern North Carolina....there is not much there for a reason? Plus why not take ASU since we have about twice as many wins against ECU as they do ASU? Plus ASU is much more competitive in basketball, which is dear to the hearts of the Big East. Seems like ECU has No chance.
Charlotte (UNC-C) doesn't have a football team....no on campus facilities...even concentrating all their money and effort into basketball have not produced much results except for a couple of years many years ago.
Memphis would be the most logical contender, but would they need to change their name to the Big East and Beyond? Marshall has been down and never done anything in basketball. UCF has tremendous support from the community, but has not lived up to what their potential should have been....so why not take ASU that has exceeded it's potential. After all, a school that exceeds their potential would stand a good chance of giving the Big East a football program to hang it's hat on.

813Jag
June 13th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I disagree....which is my right....the Big East should look at potential. Considering all their basketball playing members they may not make many changes anyway....since they are huge in basketball.
Why take ECU out of the cow pastures of Eastern North Carolina....there is not much there for a reason? Plus why not take ASU since we have about twice as many wins against ECU as they do ASU? Plus ASU is much more competitive in basketball, which is dear to the hearts of the Big East. Seems like ECU has No chance.
Charlotte (UNC-C) doesn't have a football team....no on campus facilities...even concentrating all their money and effort into basketball have not produced much results except for a couple of years many years ago.
Memphis would be the most logical contender, but would they need to change their name to the Big East and Beyond? Marshall has been down and never done anything in basketball. UCF has tremendous support from the community, but has not lived up to what their potential should have been....so why not take ASU that has exceeded it's potential. After all, a school that exceeds their potential would stand a good chance of giving the Big East a football program to hang it's hat on.
Right now alot of people are talking about a Big East split by 2011. So maybe a split would help in coming schools. But I think the Big East main concern is media markets. Also UCF athletics are on an upswing since they now have competiton 80 miles west on I-4.

93henfan
June 13th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Let me just go ahead and throw my support to Appalachian State moving up, on one condition: You must also take Georgia Southern, Montana, Northern Iowa, North Dakota State, Youngstown State, and all CAA schools other than Delaware with you.

Hot damn, I'm going to go ahead and book my Chattanooga reservations for the next ten years.xnodx

IndianaAppMan
June 13th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Why take ECU out of the cow pastures of Eastern North Carolina....there is not much there for a reason?ECU is not more isolated than Boone, plus they have an airport, making it more convenient for teams to fly in and out of, saving ECU's opponents money.

Plus why not take ASU since we have about twice as many wins against ECU as they do ASU? Plus ASU is much more competitive in basketball, which is dear to the hearts of the Big East. Seems like ECU has No chance.The Big East isn't going to base its choice on what ASU did against ECU thirty years ago when ECU was in the SoCon, pre-1-AA. They'd put more stock in ECU hanging tough with Virginia Tech, routinely beating UNC & NC State, winning bowl games, and the fact that it has been scheduling Big East opponents for years (V. Tech, WVU, & Miami pre-ACC). As for basketball, that's exactly why Charlotte or Memphis would have better chances than ECU or ASU. Yes, I know that Charlotte has lost to ASU in b-ball, but over the past ten years they've been to the NCAA's many more times, making them more appealing in that sport. Charlotte may very well have football soon. It offers a tremendously larger market than Boone.
Memphis would be the most logical contender, but would they need to change their name to the Big East and Beyond?Marshall has been down and never done anything in basketball. UCF has tremendous support from the community, but has not lived up to what their potential should have been....so why not take ASU that has exceeded it's potential. After all, a school that exceeds their potential would stand a good chance of giving the Big East a football program to hang it's hat on.The Big East wouldn't change its name for Memphis. That school is maybe 100 miles farther east than DePaul or Marquette, which are already BE. Marshall also has future schedules dotted with Big East opponents. UCF hasn't lived up to potential? According to what? They just won C-USA last year, opened a shiny new 40,000-seat, expandable stadium in which they opened with a nail-biting loss to a little school called Texas. For all of ASU's potential, they're not worth a gamble by the BE with tens omillions of dollars at stake, especially when they have more appealing options.

SideLine Shooter
June 13th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Let me just go ahead and throw my support to Appalachian State moving up, on one condition: You must also take Georgia Southern, Montana, Northern Iowa, North Dakota State, Youngstown State, and all CAA schools other than Delaware with you.

Hot damn, I'm going to go ahead and book my Chattanooga reservations for the next ten years.xnodx

YOU MUST BE A FREAKING GENIUS!!!!!xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xeyebrowx

SoCon48
June 13th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Just for future reference that school in Lafayette, La. should be referred to as UL-Laugh.

I like that.

Mntneer
June 13th, 2008, 10:29 AM

Given the moratorium on moving up they have little choice but to stay FCS through 2011 (I think that's the date).

ElonPride
June 13th, 2008, 11:04 AM
How is Marshall a doormat? Granted, they've struggled the past three years, but overall their tenure in the FBS has been a rousing success:

Are you sure you want to follow in the path of Marshall?

Their path = NCAA violations

AppStFan76
June 13th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Given the moratorium on moving up they have little choice but to stay FCS through 2011 (I think that's the date).

Someone corect me if I'm wrong, but I thought that after the moratorium, it take about 7-8 years to go through the process to move up. Between the aplication and approval to the waiting perod before you move.

If that is the case it would be something like 2019-2020, before App could play their first game as a FBS school....assuming we would move.

I say stay right where we arexthumbsupx

jcf5445
June 13th, 2008, 11:36 AM
It only takes 3-4 years max to move from FCS to FBS under the current rules. Most schools are full FBS members in their 3rd season after the application to move has been accepted (which is a matter of months, not years). There are only 2 transition years. During the first year, it doesn't really matter what type of schedule you play or how many fans you average per game. In the 2nd year, you must meet scheduling requirements. Attendance doesn't come into play until after you're a full member, and many question whether or not attendance really matters at all, because the NCAA doesn't really impose any penalties on those few teams that fail to meet attendance requirements.

Some schools have jumped in with both feet even faster. In 1996, Marshall won the I-AA championship, then won the MAC and played in a bowl game in 1997. I still haven't figured out how they became bowl eligible that quickly. I'm guessing the rules were a little different back then.

89Hen
June 13th, 2008, 11:39 AM
UAB moved up from 1-AA to 1-A in 1996. As you can see, none of their attendance records were pre-1996; recent losing seasons may have kept some fans, but in general it seems that going FBS helped boost attendance in UAB's case.
xnonox UAB only came into existance in 1991 and played mostly DII's for the first couple years and really only spent a couple in I-AA. Looking at their attendance history reveals some pretty weak numbers over the years...

2007 - 16,706
2006 - 23,139
2005 - 20,101
2004 - 20,606
2003 - 22,704
2002 - 16,447
2001 - 18,536
2000 - 18,500
1999 - 20,449
1998 - 18,165
1997 - 16,788

jaxstatealum
June 13th, 2008, 12:20 PM
xnonox UAB only came into existance in 1991 and played mostly DII's for the first couple years and really only spent a couple in I-AA. Looking at their attendance history reveals some pretty weak numbers over the years...

2007 - 16,706
2006 - 23,139
2005 - 20,101
2004 - 20,606
2003 - 22,704
2002 - 16,447
2001 - 18,536
2000 - 18,500
1999 - 20,449
1998 - 18,165
1997 - 16,788

Understand that the main reason for this is because the rednecks in our part of the country have loyalty to one of two schools in Alabama. They are UAT and AU xrolleyesx We deal with the same thing at JSU - low crowds, but its because people would rather watch SEC football.

UAB falls into this same category; plus, Birmingham is not as large of a market as some may think.

AppAlum2003
June 13th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Understand that the main reason for this is because the rednecks in our part of the country have loyalty to one of two schools in Alabama. They are UAT and AU xrolleyesx We deal with the same thing at JSU - low crowds, but its because people would rather watch SEC football.

UAB falls into this same category; plus, Birmingham is not as large of a market as some may think.

I heard they have TWO Dairy Queens in Birmingham. Sounds pretty big to me.

Aho_Old_Guy
June 13th, 2008, 01:04 PM
ASU has nothing to offer a major college conference. The Tri-Cities (Johnson City - Kingsport, TN - Bristol, VA) TV market bleeds Volunteer Orange.

Watauga County probably has some of the lowest level of cable TV available per capita in the country ... and dish TV is only available to the folks who live on 'the right side of the hollow'.

Without bringing something to the 'TV Table' the Boonies would be doomed to second-tier status in FBS at best.

It's the ONLY reason the Charlotte Phantoms would have any chance in FBS - the nation's 20th largest TV market ...

Aho_Old_Guy
June 13th, 2008, 01:09 PM

I think Birmingham is a Top 50 TV market

It's bigger than 'jaxstatealum' gives them credit for - - even though everyone knows War Eagle kicks Tide butt every time xsmiley_wix

jaxstatealum
June 13th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Large for Alabama I guess, but small compared to the ATL. Plus, having lived in the area those crazy folks just don't support the smaller schools. It really is sad.

And your right - those Tigers (or is it war eagle xcoolx ) do kick the tide (or elephants) heck, who can keep up.

It's just easier to say... GO COCKS!!!! xthumbsupx

IndianaAppMan
June 13th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Are you sure you want to follow in the path of Marshall?

Their path = NCAA violations

No, but how about Boise State? Talk about getting their names out there--they were on the cover of EA Sports NCAA Football 2008. Even Florida Atlantic wouldn't be a shabby program to follow. FAU = fastest new member of 1-AA to qualify for and win a bowl game. How about Central Florida or South Florida?

The flip side is that all those programs either in very large markets and have huge student bodies or that they are the lone program in their state (or at least the lone program that makes any noise).

JayJ79
June 13th, 2008, 01:54 PM
How is Marshall a doormat? Granted, they've struggled the past three years, but overall their tenure in the FBS has been a rousing success: 2 legit Heisman candidates, including a future HOFer (R. Moss),

For what it is worth, Moss played at Marshall before they went I-A/FBS. So it doesn't really weigh one way or the other as far as their success in FBS.

yosef1969
June 13th, 2008, 01:56 PM
ASU has nothing to offer a major college conference. The Tri-Cities (Johnson City - Kingsport, TN - Bristol, VA) TV market bleeds Volunteer Orange.

Watauga County probably has some of the lowest level of cable TV available per capita in the country ... and dish TV is only available to the folks who live on 'the right side of the hollow'.

Without bringing something to the 'TV Table' the Boonies would be doomed to second-tier status in FBS at best.

It's the ONLY reason the Charlotte Phantoms would have any chance in FBS - the nation's 20th largest TV market ...

Doesn't matter what the TV market in Boone is or isn't. The vast majority of ASU alums live in the Winston-Greensboro-High Point and Charlotte markets.
More to offer than some may think.

If the UNCC football experiment never takes root and I have serious doubts ASU could be one of only two FBS programs in Western NC if they were to move up.

IndianaAppMan
June 13th, 2008, 01:59 PM
For what it is worth, Moss played at Marshall before they went I-A/FBS. So it doesn't really weigh one way or the other as far as their success in FBS.

His freshman season was I-AA, and his sophomore season (the year he finished in the top four in Heisman votes) was I-A. I remember because I watched them in the Motor City Bowl that year. He caught a TD pass on the very first play from scrimmage against Ole Miss.

But, for what it's worth on the other side of the debate, the only reason he played for Marshall was that he was kicked out of his recruiting class at Florida State for repeated offenses such as testing positve for weed. (Believe it or not, Bobby Bowden kicks people off the team, but usually not on the first offense.)

IndianaAppMan
June 13th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Doesn't matter what the TV market in Boone is or isn't. The vast majority of ASU alums live in the Winston-Greensboro-High Point and Charlotte markets.
More to offer than some may think.

If the UNCC football experiment never takes root and I have serious doubts ASU could be one of only two FBS programs in Western NC if they were to move up.

Exactly. Virginia Tech, Auburn, and Clemson aren't able to draw good ratings based solely on the tiny towns they're in, but it never hurts to be in a good-sized market. Heck, Louisville is almost as big as Charlotte, and they're the only game in town (no pro teams besides the minors). Think that helps them.

Jiggs
June 13th, 2008, 02:12 PM

And they get their milk from the TWO cows in Boone.xlolx

IndianaAppMan
June 13th, 2008, 02:14 PM
You know, another disadvantage for App is that its alumni base generally has a modest income. Think about it: What is by far the most popular major at App State? EDUCATION. That makes for more modest donations than many other programs could have. I'm sure that the administration would have to take that into account. Granted, we have graduates who are senior vice presidents of large banks & some millionaires like every other school, but I would bet we have fewer than the vast majority of FBS institution. Running a mediocre FBS program is more expensive than a premier FCS program; running a standout program one is 2 or 3 times that.

I just hope that if this ever does happen, the people doing all the financial analysis get it worked out really well and don't get ASU athletics into the doldrums as has happened at many a program. (Check out info on Rice or SMU football to see what I mean.)

IndianaAppMan
June 13th, 2008, 02:15 PM

Ah, a Samford fellow. Welcome to the SoCon! How much noise do you expect to make this year? :)

jaxstatealum
June 13th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Ah, a Samford fellow. Welcome to the SoCon! How much noise do you expect to make this year? :)

The silence should answer... my guess is less than in the OVC xlolx xlolx xlolx

Jiggs
June 13th, 2008, 02:19 PM

A moderate amount. I think we'll be competitive with most teams and squeak out a couple of SoCon wins. Come to Birmingham to see the Mountaineers play the Bulldogs and hit DQ after the game!

IndianaAppMan
June 13th, 2008, 02:24 PM
A moderate amount. I think we'll be competitive with most teams and squeak out a couple of SoCon wins. Come to Birmingham to see the Mountaineers play the Bulldogs and hit DQ after the game!

can't. i live in indiana and can barely even make it back to North Carolina once a yea. rxsmhx thanks for the DQ idea, though.xthumbsupx

Jiggs
June 13th, 2008, 02:29 PM
can't. i live in indiana and can barely even make it back to North Carolina once a yea. rxsmhx thanks for the DQ idea, though.xthumbsupx

I'll be in Boone next year....headed to Cullowhee this year.

Appinator
June 13th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I'll be in Boone next year....headed to Cullowhee this year.

Everyone knows UGA v. Florida as the world's biggest cocktail party.

Get ready for Samford v. WCU; the world's best medium-sized pillow fight.

I kid, the 'whee is nice in the fall, you'll have a good time.

Jiggs
June 13th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Everyone knows UGA v. Florida as the world's biggest cocktail party.

Get ready for Samford v. WCU; the world's best medium-sized pillow fight.

I kid, the 'whee is nice in the fall, you'll have a good time.

I was there in 1999 when Samford beat WCU 35-32.xthumbsupx

AppAlum2003
June 13th, 2008, 02:48 PM

Hey, technically one of the cows is from Blowing Rock.

jonmac
June 13th, 2008, 06:53 PM
The time has come for App State to follow ..." their way to another board, as the number of ASU threads on this board is beyond ridiculous & clearly the moderators do not care. Furthermore, if you had a chance to dominate the MAC & then move in C-USA, as Marshall did, and you would rather stay in I-AA, you have issues.

Please look back and note that this "App" thread was started by a non-App person and please note also that many other "App" threads are started by non-App people. And another note, as members of this forum we all are free to start threads about what interests us without having to count the number of threads that may already be about some aspect of our respective allegiances. Moderators, please correct me if I'm wrong.

And, I agree with your final assessment. I would be perfectly fine with taking on the challenges of FBS. In comparison, I also hope to take on challenges myself as I seek and receive promotions at work or transferring to potentially more lucrative jobs rather than making it my goal to stay at always being the best at my current level. That's the way I see the choice that we may one day have to make.

Cap'n Cat
June 14th, 2008, 12:53 AM

Newby buttfaces.

xrolleyesx

james_lawfirm
June 14th, 2008, 08:17 AM

What's DQ? Dairy Queen?