PDA

View Full Version : BLEACHER REPORT PICKS JAX STATE OVER GA TECH

Gamecocks99
June 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Wow ! JAX STATE IS PICKED TO BEAT GEORGIA TECH !

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27652-College-Football-Who-Is-This-Year-s-Appalachian-State-

SOUNDS GREAT !

technocat
June 10th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Wow I wonder why you guys are getting all this respect all of a sudden...

Just kidding that's pretty cool.

Black Saturday
June 10th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Wow ! JAX STATE IS PICKED TO BEAT GEORGIA TECH !

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/27652-College-Football-Who-Is-This-Year-s-Appalachian-State-

SOUNDS GREAT !

Paul Johnson is one of the best coaches in football. I don't know about the upset in Atlanta. It would be nice for JSU. To me the article implied that since Perilloux has moved down to I-AA, then he is the second coming. He can't be stopped, because of his resume. The only thing he has against himself is himself, which is why he is no longer at LSU.

Also, just what is tiny? xconfusedx I call WFU, Duke, and even Notre Dame tiny schools. I don't think any of those schools have more 3-4k students. Heck APP has more than all of them combined come to think of it.

89Hen
June 10th, 2008, 01:55 PM
So who will be this season's Appalachian State? Look no further than the new home of Ryan Perrilloux, Jacksonville State.
Unless of course Ryan Perrilloux turns out to be this season's Rhett Bomar. xeyebrowx j/k Bomar had a good season before his injury.

Franks Tanks
June 10th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Paul Johnson is one of the best coaches in football. I don't know about the upset in Atlanta. It would be nice for JSU. To me the article implied that since Perilloux has moved down to I-AA, then he is the second coming. He can't be stopped, because of his resume. The only thing he has against himself is himself, which is why he is no longer at LSU.

Also, just what is tiny? xconfusedx I call WFU, Duke, and even Notre Dame tiny schools. I don't think any of those schools have more 3-4k students. Heck APP has more than all of them combined come to think of it.

Notre Dame had 11k students and an endowment of like 6 Billion (probably much more then the entire North Carolina public school system) Duke also has about 12k students and a 5 billion endowment. What are you talking about?

APPALACHIANstate
June 10th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Money Talks

bobbythekidd
June 10th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Tech is going to struggle this season. PJ does not have his players in place and it is a new scheme.

If Jax is going to beat Tech, this is the year to do it.

Franks Tanks
June 10th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Tech is going to struggle this season. PJ does not have his players in place and it is a new scheme.

If Jax is going to beat Tech, this is the year to do it.

Jax cant even compete in the OVC-- I agree Tech will have a .500 or close to it year, but they should crush JSU

CID1990
June 10th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Getting beat by The Citadel or Wofford is getting beat by a "tiny" school.

Getting beat by ASU is getting beat by a medium-sized state university system school.

Back when we were suffering through the Ellis Johnson years, we used a lot of 5th year mercenary QBs... from Auburn and clempson to be exact. They did well in terms of numbers, but they killed the team's cohesion. Maybe this just a factor at a school like The Citadel, but maybe it can affect teams like JSU, too.

bobbythekidd
June 10th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Jax cant even compete in the OVC-- I agree Tech will have a .500 or close to it year, but they should crush JSUI never said they had a shot, I was only pointing out that Tech will be down.

Franks Tanks
June 10th, 2008, 03:22 PM
I never said they had a shot, I was only pointing out that Tech will be down.

Well I guess it depends what you define as down. They appear to be perenially 7-6 or 8-4. I wouldnt be surpised to see them with a record like that this year. In 2-3 years I can see Johnson turning them into a force.

Gamecocks99
June 10th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Jax cant even compete in the OVC-- I agree Tech will have a .500 or close to it year, but they should crush JSU

Apparently you don't know much about Jacksonville State, They will be loaded with transfer talent. This game could be close.

xnodx

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2008, 03:25 PM
blechher report dude is a blogger with no love for FCS. Take his reports thusly. He is also a member here. Anyway, Jax has been very strong the last few years and can win this game.

Gamecocks99
June 10th, 2008, 03:29 PM

Apparently you don't know much about Jacksonville State, They will be loaded with transfer talent. This game could be close.

xlolx

Hoyadestroya85
June 10th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Once PJ gets his system installed.. they will be very competitive

Maroons
June 10th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I hope it happens. It'd be good for JSU and the OVC.

As for that guy saying JSU can't compete in the OVC... does he even follow the conference? The Cocks have been in the title hunt every year since they joined and have won twice.

Franks Tanks
June 10th, 2008, 03:37 PM

xlolx

Please--you have RP who else? You have been 6-5 the last 3 years in a conference that hasnt won a playoff game in something like a Decade.

Franks Tanks
June 10th, 2008, 03:38 PM
I hope it happens. It'd be good for JSU and the OVC.

As for that guy saying JSU can't compete in the OVC... does he even follow the conference? The Cocks have been in the title hunt every year since they joined and have won twice.

UM thats great. Considering how weak the OVC has been lately they should be in the hunt every single year.

Maroons
June 10th, 2008, 03:42 PM
UM thats great. Considering how weak the OVC has been lately they should be in the hunt every single year.

Yes. It's true. It has been weak for a decade compared to it's FCS bretheren. And yes, any school calling itself a "football school" should be competetive in a weak conference. And yes, they are. Which makes your initial statement erroneous.

Black Saturday
June 10th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Notre Dame had 11k students and an endowment of like 6 Billion (probably much more then the entire North Carolina public school system) Duke also has about 12k students and a 5 billion endowment. What are you talking about?

Frank, I was talking about undergrads:

According to Wikipedia:

ND = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_notre_dame 8352

Duke = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_University 6247

Wake = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_Forest_University 4231

APP = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_State_University 13447

Yes, APP is a lot larger than these tiny schools in numbers of undergrads. If you look at the endowment figures you mentioned, then APP is tiny, but the reader can assume whatever, because the author was not specific.

Gamecocks99
June 10th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Please--you have RP who else? You have been 6-5 the last 3 years in a conference that hasnt won a playoff game in something like a Decade.

Perrilloux doesnt seem to think that it is going to be a one man show. Jax State has transfers from Alabama, Ole Miss, Clemson, Virgina, and Florida State and about 7 or 8 Jr. Colleges as-well. Hide and watch xlolx

jaxstatealum
June 10th, 2008, 03:52 PM

Ahhh the trash talk. Frank and just what school do you support since your so brave to post an Avatar that is visible with your team. xwhistlex

Yep, been 6-5 for three years. Other than that exactly what do you know about JSU or are you just blowing smoke to be heard...

Black Saturday
June 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Getting beat by The Citadel or Wofford is getting beat by a "tiny" school.

Getting beat by ASU is getting beat by a medium-sized state university system school.

Back when we were suffering through the Ellis Johnson years, we used a lot of 5th year mercenary QBs... from Auburn and clempson to be exact. They did well in terms of numbers, but they killed the team's cohesion. Maybe this just a factor at a school like The Citadel, but maybe it can affect teams like JSU, too.

It is just another shot fired at us I-AAers, So tiny we can't possibly compete.

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM
UM thats great. Considering how weak the OVC has been lately they should be in the hunt every single year.Considering you are a Lafayette fan from the PL, better not throw stones.

Gamecocks99
June 10th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Ahhh the trash talk. Frank and just what school do you support since your so brave to post an Avatar that is visible with your team. xwhistlex

Yep, been 6-5 for three years. Other than that exactly what do you know about JSU or are you just blowing smoke to be heard...

He is a big fan of Lafayette Football in Eastern PA. So I doubt he knows very much detail about the Gamecocks. He is also too young to know that we played Lehigh for the national championship in football the year before 1AA was started.

Appinator
June 10th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Perrilloux doesnt seem to think that it is going to be a one man show. Jax State has transfers from Alabama, Ole Miss, Clemson, Virgina, and Florida State and about 7 or 8 Jr. Colleges as-well. Hide and watch xlolx

What transfers do you have? Positions? Starters at their previous schools?

I don't know that much about JSU and enquiring minds want to know.

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2008, 04:02 PM
It is just another shot fired at us I-AAers, So tiny we can't possibly compete.Calling it I-AA is like calling something "college division." Antiquated. It is FCS now, has been for years. Never understand the folks hanging on a ledge with old names.

89Hen
June 10th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Calling it I-AA is like calling something "college division." Antiquated. It is FCS now, has been for years. Never understand the folks hanging on a ledge with old names.
Years? xconfusedx xeyebrowx The majority of experts and journalists I've heard and read prefer I-AA by a big margin.

Even Chancellor Peacock and his bitches prefer the I-AA trophy to the FCS one.

http://www.alumni.appstate.edu/blackandgold/2006/Images/06Photos/DSCF0038.JPG

Cocky
June 10th, 2008, 04:10 PM
What transfers do you have? Positions? Starters at their previous schools?

I don't know that much about JSU and enquiring minds want to know.
Some rumored ones
Mike Brown ALL - SEC Left Tackle
Ray Ray ??? RB Clemson
A WR from UAT
Two others from LSU one WR one DB
The latest one is Joe McKnight RB from Southern Cal

Appinator
June 10th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Some rumored ones
Ray Ray ??? RB Clemson
A WR from UAT

Are all of these rumors or are they already there on campus?

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Years? xconfusedx xeyebrowxYes. Even in Delaware more than one is plural.
The majority of experts and journalists I've heard and read prefer I-AA by a big margin.I'd love to see that list of "experts" who "prefer I-AA by a big margin" because most of them that I know only call it that because they are forced to by their editors, and regret it because it is not factual.

Franks Tanks
June 10th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Few things

1.) Yes I am fully aware who Jax State is and your program, including a D-II NC game with Lehigh 30 years ago.

2.) Syntax why the **** does it matter what school I played at, I can still express my opinion as to the strength of the OVC. The success of the PL is irrelevant to the topic at hand. Good move Mr. "stick to the thread" what the hell is that. The fact remains the OVC has not won a playoff game or had a relevant team in ages.

3.) You may have a pile of FBS transfers but that means squat. They are usally not extremely good players anyway and many times couldnt cut it academically elsewhere so had to go to Jax State apparently. Anyway until Jax or the OVC in general shows they are more consistently competitive with other FCS conferences I will not be predicting wins against ACC schools.

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2008, 04:26 PM
The fact remains the OVC has not won a playoff game or had a relevant team in ages.Name the last one.
I will not be predicting wins against ACC schools.Duly noted... do you know the way to your beloved ACC school boards? :p

Franks Tanks
June 10th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Frank, I was talking about undergrads:

According to Wikipedia:

ND = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_notre_dame 8352

Duke = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_University 6247

Wake = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wake_Forest_University 4231

APP = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_State_University 13447

Yes, APP is a lot larger than these tiny schools in numbers of undergrads. If you look at the endowment figures you mentioned, then APP is tiny, but the reader can assume whatever, because the author was not specific.

Sorry I did see the incorrect number, but overall student population still speaks to the impact of a school. I am no fan of Notre Dame or Duke but to downplay there signifance is ridicilious. Even if you subtact the famous sports programs they remain as two of the finest universities in the nation.

Franks Tanks
June 10th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Name the last one.Duly noted... do you know the way to your beloved ACC school boards? :p

I cant name the last OVC team that made an important impact. Western Kentucky when they were in the OVC???--this is the point it is not common knowledge. I could give a flip about the ACC in particualr I am just a fan of College Football in general. I have seen what Johnson can do with poor talent at Navy, Tech will be dangerous.

89Hen
June 10th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I'd love to see that list of "experts" who "prefer I-AA by a big margin" because most of them that I know only call it that because they are forced to by their editors, and regret it because it is not factual.
xconfusedx xsmhx xconfusedx From what I've seen and read it's quite the opposite. The editors are making them use FCS even though they would prefer to use I-AA. Are you really not watching any of the games on TV or do you just have them on mute?

Google "I-AA FCS name change" and find me all the people supporting the change.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?id=2697774
http://calpolysportsblog.blogspot.com/2006/11/division-i-aa-name-change-for-dummies.html
http://opiegsu.blogspot.com/2007/09/appalachian-win-exposes-i-aafcs.html

Skjellyfetti
June 10th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Some rumored ones
Ray Ray ??? RB Clemson
A WR from UAT

I don't know about any of the others... but Joe McKnight is not leaving USC or transferring to Jacksonville State. He dropped a class and fell below the 12 hours to be a full time student. Big deal.

Appinator
June 10th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I don't know about any of the others... but Joe McKnight is not leaving USC or transferring to Jacksonville State. He dropped a class and fell below the 12 hours to be a full time student. Big deal.

I know, I haven't heard about any of those transfers. Such a high amount from those upper level programs that were listed would have been big news. Are any of them sure things other than RP?

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I cant name the last OVC team that made an important impact. Western Kentucky when they were in the OVC???--this is the point it is not common knowledge. I could give a flip about the ACC in particualr I am just a fan of College Football in general. I have seen what Johnson can do with poor talent at Navy, Tech will be dangerous.Yet you mention Navy and Tech. Not common knowledge of WKU in the OVC? Check yourself.
From what I've seen and read it's quite the opposite.Wow, quoting Eesspeeon, blogs and RU4GSU now? Why not quote real experts? That's right, FCS experts.

danefan
June 10th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I cant name the last OVC team that made an important impact. Western Kentucky when they were in the OVC???--this is the point it is not common knowledge. I could give a flip about the ACC in particualr I am just a fan of College Football in general. I have seen what Johnson can do with poor talent at Navy, Tech will be dangerous.

Correct. Western Kentucky 2000 1st Round game. Lost quarters to App State.

Before that:

1996 - Murray State 1st round win.
1994 - EKU - 1st round win.
1992 - Middle Tenn. - 1st round win.
1991 - Middle Tenn. - 1st round win
EKU - 1st round win. (EKU and Middle Tenn played in the quarters with EKU winning.
1990 - Middle Tenn. - 1st round win.

The OVC as it stands today is no stronger than the PL, Ivy, NEC, PFL, MEAC, SWAC, or Big South. To call it otherwise is based on speculation and not performance.

Even SE's GPI agrees.

Final OVC GPI (League rank: 12)

20. E Kentucky (20.38)
42. E Illinois (35.13)
65. Jacksonville St (50.38)
75. Austin Peay (57.50)
78T. Tennessee St (58.88)
80. TN Martin (59.13)
93T. Samford (67.75)
96. Tennessee Tech (70.25)
105. SE Missouri St (75.13)
108. Murray St (76.50)

FCS Go!
June 10th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Didn't WKU win the NC in 2002?

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Didn't WKU win the NC in 2002?First Gateway team to win the D-I Championship (not current MVFC members because YSU is king with 4, SIU with 1 too)

danefan
June 10th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Didn't WKU win the NC in 2002?

From the Gateway conference.

FCS Go!
June 10th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Jax State is my favorite perennial underachiever. They seem like they always have a team that is almost really good. They never seem to be able to put it together though. I hope they can find some success with Perriloux. As for their chances with Ga Tech, if Perriloux is amazing from the get go then they have a chance. Otherwise I think Johnson and his boys will beat them handily. Johnson is a good coach and he will have his team ready for any team on their schedule

Re: FBS transfers are no guarantee of success. In the Big Sky, Portland St always seems to have a pile of them but the transfers have never changed the Vikes into something they weren't the year before. Montana's experience with transfers has run the gamut from great to no-show.

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Even SE's GPI agrees.
Final OVC GPI (League rank: 12)First it is not my GPI, it is CSN's. I know you love to kill the messenger especially since you are an NEC fan, the worst FCS conference.

Truth:

Conference Rank
Rank, Conference (Average Rating)
1. Colonial Athletic Association (21.71)
2. Southern Conference (23.92)
3. Great West Football Conference (28.88)
4. Gateway Football Conference (28.95)
5. Big Sky Conference (41.39)
6. Southland Conference (42.07)
7. Patriot League (47.02)
8. Ivy League (48.94)
9. Big South Conference (54.50)
10. Southwestern Athletic Conference (55.44)
11. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (55.77)
12. Ohio Valley Conference (57.10)
13. Pioneer Football League (63.71)
14. Independents (65.75)
15. Northeast Conference (68.82)
16. Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (79.13)

Hope you are happy NECDANEFAN, happy xmas.

Note: No NEC team has EVER been selected as a playoff team. Now they will, not based on worthiness.

danefan
June 10th, 2008, 05:32 PM
First it is not my GPI, it is CSN's. I know you love to kill the messenger especially since you are an NEC fan, the worst FCS conference.

Truth:

Conference Rank
Rank, Conference (Average Rating)
1. Colonial Athletic Association (21.71)
2. Southern Conference (23.92)
3. Great West Football Conference (28.88)
4. Gateway Football Conference (28.95)
5. Big Sky Conference (41.39)
6. Southland Conference (42.07)
7. Patriot League (47.02)
8. Ivy League (48.94)
9. Big South Conference (54.50)
10. Southwestern Athletic Conference (55.44)
11. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (55.77)
12. Ohio Valley Conference (57.10)
13. Pioneer Football League (63.71)
14. Independents (65.75)
15. Northeast Conference (68.82)
16. Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (79.13)

Hope you are happy NECDANEFAN, happy xmas.

Settle down there killer. Everyone knows you and the CSN are one and the same, especially when its comes to the GPI. Its really not that big of a deal. I personally don't agree with compounding biases to create an even greater bias, but I understand why you and other agree with and push it.

I never claimed to be ranked higher than OVC. I never claimed that the NEC was better than the OVC. What I did say:

The OVC as it stands today is no stronger than the PL, Ivy, NEC, PFL, MEAC, SWAC, or Big South. To call it otherwise is based on speculation and not performance.

According to the GPI, the OVC was stronger than the NEC last year. If it makes you happy I'll edit my previous comment to read:

The OVC as it stands today is no stronger than the PL, Ivy, MEAC, SWAC, or Big South. To call it otherwise is based on speculation and not performance.

Now that assumes the GPI is correct, which I don't think it is. Which is why I put the NEC and the PFL on the same level as the OVC last year.

Now have a cream soda and a Wurther's Original and relax.

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2008, 05:37 PM
you and the CSN are one and the sameThat is where I stop reading because you are dead wrong. Like other junk you spew like the GPI is wrong in indicating the NEC is the worst FCS conference. Have fun with your junk.

danefan
June 10th, 2008, 05:38 PM
That is where I stop reading because you are dead wrong. Like other junk you spew like the GPI is wrong in indicating the NEC is the worst FCS conference. Have fun with your junk.

That's your choice. xpeacex

Back on ignore after only a half a thread off. That was quick.

FCS_pwns_FBS
June 10th, 2008, 05:42 PM
If EIU couldn't win a playoff game with Tony Romo, I really don't think JSU will go anywhere with Perrilloux. Sorry OVC'ers, but you do kind of have a poor track record in FCS competition.

I am kind of torn about who I want to win the game, though. It's great to watch FCS teams "pwn" the FBS teams, but on the other hand, I don't want Paul Johnson to start his career out with a loss to a "IAA" or a "division II" or whatever they are calling us these days in the mainstream sports media.

straightshooter
June 10th, 2008, 06:17 PM
It should be noted that Ga Tech will be loaded on defense this season. Perriloux just might be running for his life all night.

It will take the GA Tech offense time to develop, but let's not forget that the last time JSU faced that Johnson offense in 2002 (under Sewak - GT OL coach), GSU put up 41 on them in a 41-3 JSU loss.

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2008, 06:26 PM
That's your choice. xpeacex

Back on ignore after only a half a thread off. That was quick.Come on an OVC thread to smack and then say you will ignore facts. What a GREAT DANE! xrolleyesx xsmhx

g-webb1994
June 10th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Johnson is an underappreciated coach, no doubt, and will do well at GT.

I wish Jax State all the best in softening up GT for us on October 11.:) xrotatehx xlolx

james_lawfirm
June 10th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Settle down there killer. Everyone knows you and the CSN are one and the same, especially when its comes to the GPI. Its really not that big of a deal. I personally don't agree with compounding biases to create an even greater bias, but I understand why you and other agree with and push it.

Now have a cream soda and a Wurther's Original and relax.

FWIW, I don't mean to step in the middle of someone's argument here. However, it seems to me that "compounding biases" as you so eloquently put it, does not "create an even greater bias." I was actually paying attention in those Statistics classes (I think I was anyway.) Unless ALL of the biases are biased in the same way, then those biases will cancel themselves out. In other words, if ALL of the AGS poll voters were Montana fans, then the bias would indeed "create an even greater bias," and Montana would be ranked too high. However, if you have some Montana fans voting & some ASU fans & some Albany fans & some Savanna State fans, then the biases cancel themselves out (at least to some degree) and you are left with a more accurate and unbiased poll. THAT is why the AGS poll, made up of all of us knowledgeable (AND BIASED!) FCS fans, is more accurate than most polls. Any AGS'er who claims not to be biased is also a liar or clueless. All of us are biased, if for no other reason than one person can not possibly know everything about every FCS team. Almost every poster has one main favorite team, and not co-incidentally he knows more about that team than any other. Thus, bias.

And, that is the beauty and value of the GPI, it takes ALL the polls & rankings and jumbles them together (thus REMOVING the individual polls & rankings various biases) and gets a pretty darn good index of teams' strength.

But what the heck is a Wurther's Original?

Hoyadestroya85
June 10th, 2008, 06:40 PM
If EIU couldn't win a playoff game with Tony Romo, I really don't think JSU will go anywhere with Perrilloux. Sorry OVC'ers, but you do kind of have a poor track record in FCS competition.

I am kind of torn about who I want to win the game, though. It's great to watch FCS teams "pwn" the FBS teams, but on the other hand, I don't want Paul Johnson to start his career out with a loss to a "IAA" or a "division II" or whatever they are calling us these days in the mainstream sports media.

don't remind me of Tony Romo.. Brett Gordon deserved that Payton award

bobbythekidd
June 10th, 2008, 06:50 PM
http://www.candyfavorites.com/pi/1958.jpg

Mountaineer
June 10th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I've had North Dakota State pencilled in as national champions since 2005. xsmiley_wix They're finally claiming it in 2008. Am I supposed to go with Jacksonsville State now? We need to reach a consensus here. xreadx

danefan
June 10th, 2008, 08:51 PM

We can save the GPI debate for the season. xthumbsupx

This is a Werther's Original (sorry for the spelling error).

http://www.candyfavorites.com/pi/1958.jpg

danefan
June 10th, 2008, 08:55 PM
FWIW, I don't mean to step in the middle of someone's argument here. However, it seems to me that "compounding biases" as you so eloquently put it, does not "create an even greater bias." I was actually paying attention in those Statistics classes (I think I was anyway.) Unless ALL of the biases are biased in the same way, then those biases will cancel themselves out. In other words, if ALL of the AGS poll voters were Montana fans, then the bias would indeed "create an even greater bias," and Montana would be ranked too high. However, if you have some Montana fans voting & some ASU fans & some Albany fans & some Savanna State fans, then the biases cancel themselves out (at least to some degree) and you are left with a more accurate and unbiased poll. THAT is why the AGS poll, made up of all of us knowledgeable (AND BIASED!) FCS fans, is more accurate than most polls. Any AGS'er who claims not to be biased is also a liar or clueless. All of us are biased, if for no other reason than one person can not possibly know everything about every FCS team. Almost every poster has one main favorite team, and not co-incidentally he knows more about that team than any other. Thus, bias.

And, that is the beauty and value of the GPI, it takes ALL the polls & rankings and jumbles them together (thus REMOVING the individual polls & rankings various biases) and gets a pretty darn good index of teams' strength.

We can save the heavy GPI debate for when the first one is released this season. Its way too off topic for this thread. But I will say this - what you explained is exactly what I'm saying. There has been the same bias in all of the polls. Which is therefore compounded in the GPI. Specifically the polls are way too pro-OVC and IVY. I understand people's reasons for voting those conferences up, but I don't agree with them.

The other problem that exists is the voters that vote in multiple polls. Their biased votes are counted multiple times.

xpeacex

Syntax Error
June 10th, 2008, 09:47 PM
There has been the same bias in all of the polls. Which is therefore compounded in the GPI.Someone didn't open their xmas present and is still complaining they didn't get one. The worst conference got one without having to earn it df, you can quit all yer "gpi bias" crying now. OH I GET IT. The crying is for explaining why the nec team doesn't get a playoff spot for the next two years, like the previous 30. Gawd, give it a rest.

Maroons
June 10th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I'm not sure what happened to this thread since I've been gone... but it sure is nice to see someone talking about OVC football... even if it's just about how bad it's been.

:)

UCAMonkey
June 10th, 2008, 10:16 PM

U. of Miami(Fla) is a small private school. Tulane, Tulsa, Vandy ..........neither So. Cal and Northwestern are huge.

jsualum97
June 11th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Let me be just a realistic fan when it comes to this Ga Tech game. Although there is nothing I want for Christmas more than a win vs. Tech, we have to be very realistic to assume that even though they have a new coach, even though that coach is systematically different than the previous, even though they don't yet have the players for that system, even though they only have 4 returning starters on defense, this will be a tough game for JSU. We haven't done anything yet, and until we make some noise in FCS, we shouldn't be shootin' our mouth off. Now we do have an excellent player in Ryan Perilloux, and as far as other kids transferring, until they do, they are not a part of our program. So don't count on them until they are taking classes. However, let me do say this, that if JSU does make some noise in FCS this year, there is going to be some trash talking Jed Clampett Red Necks all over this board. You guys will be sick of us. We have been waiting on a winner for a while.

jaxstatealum
June 11th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Few things

1.) Yes I am fully aware who Jax State is and your program, including a D-II NC game with Lehigh 30 years ago.

2.) Syntax why the **** does it matter what school I played at, I can still express my opinion as to the strength of the OVC. The success of the PL is irrelevant to the topic at hand. Good move Mr. "stick to the thread" what the hell is that. The fact remains the OVC has not won a playoff game or had a relevant team in ages.

3.) You may have a pile of FBS transfers but that means squat. They are usally not extremely good players anyway and many times couldnt cut it academically elsewhere so had to go to Jax State apparently. Anyway until Jax or the OVC in general shows they are more consistently competitive with other FCS conferences I will not be predicting wins against ACC schools.

Your ignorance and disdain for JSU is very apparant; although I'm not sure anyone knows why. I'm glad you have the freedom to voice your rather interesting opinions and comments.

I would think that your use of profanity speaks volumes as to your maturity.

I wish your team the best in the comming season.

Franks Tanks
June 11th, 2008, 12:23 PM
Your ignorance and disdain for JSU is very apparant; although I'm not sure anyone knows why. I'm glad you have the freedom to voice your rather interesting opinions and comments.

I wish your team the best in the comming season.

My maturity? I am a professional 28 yo with quite a bit of responsibility, but this is irrelevant.

Really my beef is two fold. I grow tired of the hype surrounding FBS transfers to FCS schools. With the exception of a few guys like Flacco or Andy Hall they are usually a bust or only a pretty average FCS player. Their is usually a godo reason why they were unsuccessful at their original schools. Your transers may be a great success but there is no way to tell at this point.

Over the last several years Jax and other OVC school have struggled to compete with the FCS power conferences for whatever reason. Am I putting you down? Not really just stating facts. The Patriot League also struggles againt the CAA and other premiere conferences and if you were to point that out I would agree.

Look I get extremely excited when a FCS takes out a FBS as it is good for our entire divsion and if Jax could pull it out I will be the first one to congratulate you. However given your recent track record and the perilious situation of relying on a bunch of transfers I just dont see it happening. I understand you are excited about the upcoming season, and rightfully so, but I was just attempting to express my feeling related to the situation. If my response was harsh I apoligize, but I stand by my opinions.

Gamecocks99
June 11th, 2008, 01:19 PM
My maturity? Yes, Maturity. With it one gains a full vocabulary. Do you use just any type speech with the boss or important clients I am a professional 28 yo with quite a bit of responsibility, but this is irrelevant.

Really my beef is two fold. I grow tired of the hype surrounding FBS transfers to FCS schools. With the exception of a few guys like Flacco or Andy Hall they are usually a bust or only a pretty average FCS player. Their is usually a godo reason why they were unsuccessful at their original schools. [B]Your transfers may be a great success but there is no way to tell at this point.[/B True. But, there are schools that have a had great success with Transfers. Ex. Troy has been known as Tranfer U in the past.
]Over the last several years Jax and other OVC school have struggled to compete with the FCS power conferences for whatever reason. Am I putting you down? Not really just stating facts. The Patriot League also struggles againt the CAA and other premiere conferences and if you were to point that out I would agree. Some schools in the CAA are the largest school in their State. They should have great team in their conference and in the FCS. EX. Delaware. If we could combine Jax State with 1 other of the following Alabama, Auburn or Troy : Then, no one could beat us either.
Look I get extremely excited when a FCS takes out a FBS as it is good for our entire divsion and if Jax could pull it out I will be the first one to congratulate you. However given your recent track record and the perilious situation of relying on a bunch of transfers I just dont see it happening. I understand you are excited about the upcoming season, and rightfully so, but I was just attempting to express my feeling related to the situation. If my response was harsh I apoligize, but I stand by my opinions.

pete4256
June 11th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Yep, Georgia Southern has hammered oponents with their mass of "big time transfers" the last couple of years.

Franks Tanks
June 11th, 2008, 01:43 PM

Please I more then understand what type of language and behavior is appropiate to the situation. Some liberties are fine on a FCS message board.

Excuses. I just used the CAA as an example, your point about JAx not being a main state institution is irrelevant. App State, Georgia Southern, Norther Iowa, Southern Illinois and most of FCS are also regional state universities and have a very simialr mission to Jax. There is no reason why you cant have a program like those schools. Lafayette is a small private school with difficult academic standards. Furman would be the most successful FCS school in our demographic. There are many reason why we arent as good as Furman, but the fact is that we arent as thats the way it is I am not making excuses.

Gamecocks99
June 11th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Please I more then understand what type of language and behavior is appropiate to the situation. Some liberties are fine on a FCS message board.

Would you take the " F " word liberty with your Grandfather or a friends Grandfather. You might think of it that there are grandfathers on the board that don't like it. Others are letting you know it is not fine. Ask an ACS Mod if it is ok to take the liberty use the " F " word on this board. Their Answer would be NOT !
[

QUOTE=pete4256;978207]Yep, Georgia Southern has hammered oponents with their mass of "big time transfers" the last couple of years.[/QUOTE]

This says it all xnodx

Franks Tanks
June 11th, 2008, 05:13 PM

Would you take the " F " word liberty with your Grandfather or a friends Grandfather. You might think of it that there are grandfathers on the board that don't like it. Others are letting you know it is not fine. Ask an ACS Mod if it is ok to take the liberty use the " F " word on this board. Their Answer would be NOT !
[

QUOTE=pete4256;978207]Yep, Georgia Southern has hammered oponents with their mass of "big time transfers" the last couple of years.

This says it all xnodx[/QUOTE]

Take it up with the mods then, the word in that form is used all the time here. Just look at most posts by the Cap n' or AZ Griz fan. I am sure my GrandPa used that word at times as well, he was a tough SOB. Also please understand how to use the quote functionality insted of altering my posts-its make following the action easier.

Gamecocks99
June 11th, 2008, 06:07 PM
This says it all xnodx

Take it up with the mods then, the word in that form is used all the time here. Just look at most posts by the Cap n' or AZ Griz fan. I am sure my GrandPa used that word at times as well, he was a tough SOB. Also please understand how to use the quote functionality insted of altering my posts-its make following the action easier.[/QUOTE]

So if they put a pile of dung on their head for a hat would you also think it would be OK to wear a pile on your head as well. It shows your lack of a vocabulary and your lack of respect for others and maturity. JAXSTATEALUM said it best:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxstatealum

Franks Tanks
June 11th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Take it up with the mods then, the word in that form is used all the time here. Just look at most posts by the Cap n' or AZ Griz fan. I am sure my GrandPa used that word at times as well, he was a tough SOB. Also please understand how to use the quote functionality insted of altering my posts-its make following the action easier.

So if they put a pile of dung on their head for a hat would you also think it would be OK to wear a pile on your head as well. It shows your lack of a vocabulary and your lack of respect for others and maturity. JAXSTATEALUM said it best:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxstatealum

I would think that your use of profanity speaks volumes as to your maturity.[/QUOTE]

Yes you keep saying the same thing. Again read the other posts I have nothing against Jax, just some assertions made on this thread. You critiquing my language skills is a joke, I havent exactly seen any Hemmingway-esqe wrok from you. Please if you have some smack bring it, if not please stop repeating the same tired point.

MplsBison
June 11th, 2008, 07:27 PM
since Perilloux has moved down to I-AA, then he is the second coming.

That's true when a BCS QB transfers to a FCS team, right?

Oh yeah, Rhett Bomar. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

JaxSinfonian
June 11th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Please, Franks Tanks and Gamecocks99, if you wanna play kindergarten-playground slap-fight, take it to private messages and spare the rest of us.

(However, Tanks, you drew these folks' ire by making one flat-out bone-headed statement: that JSU can't compete in the OVC. They've won two titles and been a factor in the three since. They'll be in the mix again. You just plain got it wrong. Admit it (or not) and move on.)

And seriously, folks. Favoring Jax State over Georgia Tech? There are games in which an FCS team should be picked over an FBS opponent. They are few, and this isn't one of them.

No doubt, Perrilloux will improve the Gamecocks' chances in every game they're scheduled to play in 2008, including against Tech, especially considering that before he showed up we had ZERO quarterbacks on campus.

But he is just one player. If he was capable of single-handedly defeating a respectable ACC team I think LSU would have found it in their hearts to give him (at least) one more chance.

The Gamecocks have a lot of holes to fill. The stars of last year's team are gone, and with them JSU only managed 6-5. Anyone who thinks that one talented quarterback, even if he's the most capable signal caller of his age, can by himself win this team an FBS upset and a conference title hasn't been paying much attention to this team or to this conference. And anyone who thinks adding RP alone will get the Gamers deep into the playoffs is smoking something far more potent than the stuff that reportedly helped get Cedric Johnson kicked off the team - they've likely not seen the quality of semifinal-caliber teams and are overestimating the talent gap between FBS's and FCS' top players (kinda like Michigan did last year).

As for other transfers, let's wait until we get the guys on campus before we start talking about how loaded we are. And for Pete's sake let's at least vet the sources of these rumors before we start spouting names. Even if Joe McKnight does end up in J'ville I won't give the Bayou Buzz (http://www.bayoubuzz.com/News/Business/Louisiana_Sports__LSU_Baseball_Big_Brown_Jim_McKay _Keith_Zinger__6549.asp) credit for the scoop for what was obviously a throw-away bad joke about Jax State from the author of this marginal publication, in whose mind JSU is now "Transfer U" thanks to the Perrilloux affair.

As for vetting sources, the author of the Bleacher Report "prediction" made every mistake I cautioned against above, and obviously also has no clue how Appalachian State became last year's Appalachian State. How did they beat Michigan? They fielded a team full of top-notch players who had the kind of confidence only consecutive national titles can bring, they were coached by a proven, veteran staff and they were taken lightly by their opponents. I don't think we will have any of those things going for us this August.

I hope we win, but Georgia Tech will have plenty of advantages in this game. The only one we'll have is the better starting quarterback. Oh, and a better band.

AlphaSigMD
June 12th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Lets just call this what it is:

A guy wrote an article. A bad article. A lazy, poorly researched article. An article that does NOT do Jacksonville State ANY justice at all.

Jacksonville State is a fine team, with the potential to be better than the middle of the road team that they have been the last few years. Will they, maybe...(my prediction earlier was 6-5, because I feel that R.P. will likely be more destructive than helpful).

The Only reason that this article was written was because R.P. transferred to Jax St. There are many FCS-FBS game next year, but he only touched on the 3 with the broad generalities. "OK, who's the App State....well maybe App State". Perhaps if the author had dug a little deeper than choosing a game televised on ESPN, and refrained from choosing the squad that had recently big made big news by getting a much-troubled yet highly-talented transfer fresh off a national championship victory, then his article would have had some credibility.

He could have even had the same prediction(Jax St over GT)...if he had given any hint of possibly doing any research beyond the barest minimum (how about a mention of the NDSU vs Wyoming, or McN vs UNC...etc)

The point is, he didn't. His jumped-conclusion and act of focusing on the R.P. factor did a huge disservice to every other member of the JSU football team. This team did not begin to exist suddenly with one transfer's arrival. Their chances of beating GT do not begin and end with RP. In fact, while he is a good player, he probably increases overall JSU's chances very little by himself. They likely had a 1-2% chance of winning before. Maybe a 1.2-2.5% chance with him.

While these other players may have less acclaim and promise of blue-chip talent than the newly arrived RP, they likely all have more class, character and humility. And some measure of that is required for a team to pull of a sizable upset.

So, even though Jax St. probably won't beat Ga Tech, they still deserve better than what the crux of this article implies -- that they are nothing more than an accessory.

Franks Tanks
June 12th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Please, Franks Tanks and Gamecocks99, if you wanna play kindergarten-playground slap-fight, take it to private messages and spare the rest of us.

(However, Tanks, you drew these folks' ire by making one flat-out bone-headed statement: that JSU can't compete in the OVC. They've won two titles and been a factor in the three since. They'll be in the mix again. You just plain got it wrong. Admit it (or not) and move on.)

And seriously, folks. Favoring Jax State over Georgia Tech? There are games in which an FCS team should be picked over an FBS opponent. They are few, and this isn't one of them.

No doubt, Perrilloux will improve the Gamecocks' chances in every game they're scheduled to play in 2008, including against Tech, especially considering that before he showed up we had ZERO quarterbacks on campus.

But he is just one player. If he was capable of single-handedly defeating a respectable ACC team I think LSU would have found it in their hearts to give him (at least) one more chance.

The Gamecocks have a lot of holes to fill. The stars of last year's team are gone, and with them JSU only managed 6-5. Anyone who thinks that one talented quarterback, even if he's the most capable signal caller of his age, can by himself win this team an FBS upset and a conference title hasn't been paying much attention to this team or to this conference. And anyone who thinks adding RP alone will get the Gamers deep into the playoffs is smoking something far more potent than the stuff that reportedly helped get Cedric Johnson kicked off the team - they've likely not seen the quality of semifinal-caliber teams and are overestimating the talent gap between FBS's and FCS' top players (kinda like Michigan did last year).

As for other transfers, let's wait until we get the guys on campus before we start talking about how loaded we are. And for Pete's sake let's at least vet the sources of these rumors before we start spouting names. Even if Joe McKnight does end up in J'ville I won't give the Bayou Buzz (http://www.bayoubuzz.com/News/Business/Louisiana_Sports__LSU_Baseball_Big_Brown_Jim_McKay _Keith_Zinger__6549.asp) credit for the scoop for what was obviously a throw-away bad joke about Jax State from the author of this marginal publication, in whose mind JSU is now "Transfer U" thanks to the Perrilloux affair.

As for vetting sources, the author of the Bleacher Report "prediction" made every mistake I cautioned against above, and obviously also has no clue how Appalachian State became last year's Appalachian State. How did they beat Michigan? They fielded a team full of top-notch players who had the kind of confidence only consecutive national titles can bring, they were coached by a proven, veteran staff and they were taken lightly by their opponents. I don't think we will have any of those things going for us this August.

I hope we win, but Georgia Tech will have plenty of advantages in this game. The only one we'll have is the better starting quarterback. Oh, and a better band.

Can you let this die buddy. I already admitted that I mis-spoke with the "you cant compete in the OVC" statement so let me restate my point.

The OVC has struggled quite a bit recently vs. the rest of FCS. Jax has been competitive in the OVC but certainly not dominant in any way. Therefore you have been a good but not dominant team in one of the lower end FCS conferences. This coupled with the fact that FBS transfers are typically unreliable and RP cant stay out of trouble for 3 months lead me to my original point that it was irresponsible to be claiming victory over GT.

jaxstatealum
June 12th, 2008, 07:33 AM
[QUOTE=AlphaSigMD;978885] They likely had a 1-2% chance of winning before. Maybe a 1.2-2.5% chance with him.
QUOTE]

Could we at least boost our humble egos and say 3.0% chance :o xlolx

Cocky
June 12th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Can you let this die buddy. I already admitted that I mis-spoke with the "you cant compete in the OVC" statement so let me restate my point.

The OVC has struggled quite a bit recently vs. the rest of FCS. Jax has been competitive in the OVC but certainly not dominant in any way. Therefore you have been a good but not dominant team in one of the lower end FCS conferences. This coupled with the fact that FBS transfers are typically unreliable and RP cant stay out of trouble for 3 months lead me to my original point that it was irresponsible to be claiming victory over GT.

Noone from JSU is claiming a victory over GT it is some guy writing an opinion/prediction that isn't associated with JSU. Who pissed in your wheatie?

Franks Tanks
August 29th, 2008, 08:00 AM

xlolx

For the record I just wanted to say you were wrong and I was right. You got stomped, it wasnt really close-- thanks

citdog
August 29th, 2008, 08:04 AM
just goes to show everyone that adding a criminal at qb will not change your fortunes.....only ruin your schools reputation and the TEAM concept.

appfan2008
August 29th, 2008, 09:37 AM
wow that prediction was wrong...

jstate83
August 29th, 2008, 09:47 AM
I'm not blamming J-Ville.
I blame the guy that wrote this "article".

How can J-Ville go from losing to Alabama State last season, who was down all of last year btw, to being picked to beat G-Tech this year because of 1 player.

This guy need to hang up his pen. xsmhx

89Hen
August 29th, 2008, 10:42 AM
BTW, GT's new uniforms are ugly. xoopsx

neersnbeers
August 29th, 2008, 10:56 AM

No doubt. Looks like puke. But their offense didn't look bad.

neersnbeers
August 29th, 2008, 10:56 AM

No doubt. Looks like puke. But their offense didn't look bad.