PDA

View Full Version : Field Turf vs Natural Grass

Lehigh74
June 9th, 2008, 04:39 PM
With Field Turf the current rage in college football, Lehigh is making a significant investment in a good old fashion grass field.

http://www.lehighsports.com/sports/football/release.asp?release_id=6705

Grizzaholic
June 9th, 2008, 04:45 PM
MPLSBISON in 3..........2.............1.............

SideLine Shooter
June 9th, 2008, 04:46 PM
With Field Turf the current rage in college football, Lehigh is making a significant investment in a good old fashion grass field.

WHY?

jstate83
June 9th, 2008, 04:46 PM

Can't beat a good grass field.xthumbsupx
That's all Memorial install's when it's time to replace turf.

Grizzaholic
June 9th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Can't beat a good grass field.xthumbsupx
That's all Memorial install's when it's time to replace turf.

I like grass as much or maybe more than the next guy but it is really nice to have a perfect field in the late season that isn't all torn up like grass gets.

mlbowl
June 9th, 2008, 05:18 PM

LMFAO!!!xlolx

grizband
June 9th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I had the same thought!

APPALACHIANstate
June 9th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Whenever I think natural grass....

I think of playing backyard football and getting the wind knocked out of me, laying in the grass trying to breathe. Great Memories, seeing my buddies in the same situation making noises similar to ones the lady in this video makes:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pCTlhBhOAbg

TheValleyRaider
June 9th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Natural grass is the way to go xnodx

I'm still kinda bummed Colgate went the turf route. I understand it, but still.... :(

TheBisonator
June 9th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Holy CRAP, 8 replies and still no MplsBison!!!xreadx

APPALACHIANstate
June 9th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Holy CRAP, 8 replies and still no MplsBison!!!xreadx

Bad thing?

Good thing?

I browsed for a while before I joined and read some of his stuff...

xlolx

Lionsrking
June 9th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Bad thing?

Good thing?

I browsed for a while before I joined and read some of his stuff...

xlolx

If you gave me one game to play, in ideal conditions, no question I would prefer natural grass. However, it's not a perfect world and it's hard to beat the consistency of the new age turf. I'm not a big fan of the "tire factory" smell or the extreme heat it generates during the early part of the year, but I much prefer knowing field conditions won't be a major issue during a game. Plus you don't have the maintenance costs and man hours associated with the up keep of the real stuff.

citdog
June 9th, 2008, 06:12 PM
field turf is HARSH. Grass is smooth....xnodx

bobbythekidd
June 9th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I found this (http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=64620) but it is dated 2003. I am sure some have changed. What struck me was GSU was the only one listed with "PAT". Anyone know what that means?

*I am also waiting on MPLS*xconfusedx

LBPop
June 9th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Georgetown made the right move to put in field turf. They have very little space and football needs to practice on it plus lacrosse needs it too and natural turf would be destroyed.

Now having said that, for LBKid's last three seasons as a Hoya I missed:
Grass Stains
Mud on his face, hands and uniform
Mud stuck in his cleats
Turf stuck in his facemask
That turf smellInstead I got:
Little black things all over his face and arms. Little Black Things??
Perfectly clean (but sweaty) uniform
No reason to check the weather report every day before each gameOn second thought...xeyebrowx

blueballs
June 9th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I found this (http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=64620) but it is dated 2003. I am sure some have changed. What struck me was GSU was the only one listed with "PAT". Anyone know what that means?

*I am also waiting on MPLS*xconfusedx

Prescription Athletic Turf, specially formulated bermuda grass, in the case of GSU bermuda tift.

bobbythekidd
June 9th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Prescription Athletic Turf, specially formulated bermuda grass, in the case of GSU bermuda tift.
I looked at the media guide after posting that. You are correct. Rep for you.

blazrdog#1
June 9th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Natural Grass....Bob Roller & Co. made a BIG mistake turning Seibert Stadium into a plastic career ender!

Go...gate
June 9th, 2008, 07:38 PM

Glad Lehigh did this. The game is meant to be played on grass.

Go...gate
June 9th, 2008, 07:40 PM
field turf is HARSH. Grass is smooth....xnodx

For smoking, or playing on? :D xrotatehx

DFW HOYA
June 9th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Georgetown made the right move to put in field turf. They have very little space and football needs to practice on it plus lacrosse needs it too and natural turf would be destroyed.

However some of us complain about the MSF, it's not Kehoe Field, a place where players competed for 24 years on Astroturf that covered concrete.

Yes, concrete.

ASUMountaineer
June 9th, 2008, 08:56 PM
I say field turf is fine. It's good to have natural grass, but it's also quite expensive to maintain--especially in the beautiful high country of North Carolina :).

GOKATS
June 9th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Consruction crews just this afternoon began ripping the grass and dirt out of Bobcat Stadium in preparation for the installation of FieldTurf by fall ball. I love natural grass and any stadium that has the climate to sustain it for a full season I envy and I would never recommend replacing it with artificial turf. Unfortunately, Bozeman is not set up for those ideal conditions, and though I really I enjoy a mud bowl with some snow mixed in, the natural grass has become a detriment to the performance of the athletes on the field (and until the indoor practice field is built) it will give the Cats an equal chance to get spring ball in without having to worry about rain, snow (usually snow) on the practice fields.

ngineer
June 9th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the link to the photos--getting juiced just looking at them. I'm so glad we're going this route..as Coen has said from day one, at Lehigh "Tradition Never Graduates". Football was meant to be played in the elements and on natural grass, mud, whatever. It is not a perfect world and, hence, other than dimensions, the fields need not be uniform. I played on the old astroturf stuff and it was brutal (Franklin Field). I understand the new 'Field Turf' is much kinder, but it can't be kinder than a soft grass carpet. Throw in the aroma of fresh cut grass and you've got heaven.xthumbsupx

seantaylor
June 9th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Can't beat grass. Grass kills field turf. Same with outdoor stadiums over domes. I understand those in extreme climates, but if you can have grass, you should.

Zoo
June 9th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Don't most players actually prefer natural grass over the artificial stuff?

GreatAppSt
June 10th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Whenever I think natural grass....

I think of playing backyard football and getting the wind knocked out of me, laying in the grass trying to breathe. Great Memories, seeing my buddies in the same situation making noises similar to ones the lady in this video makes:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pCTlhBhOAbg

AUUUOO AUUOOOO AUOOOOh I CA BREA!
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

andy7171
June 10th, 2008, 08:44 AM

YES! And why wouldn't you? Almost all players prefer for the ground to give instead of a part of their bodies.

That should get a response outta MPLS!

Grizzaholic
June 10th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Consruction crews just this afternoon began ripping the grass and dirt out of Bobcat Stadium in preparation for the installation of FieldTurf by fall ball. I love natural grass and any stadium that has the climate to sustain it for a full season I envy and I would never recommend replacing it with artificial turf. Unfortunately, Bozeman is not set up for those ideal conditions, and though I really I enjoy a mud bowl with some snow mixed in, the natural grass has become a detriment to the performance of the athletes on the field (and until the indoor practice field is built) it will give the Cats an equal chance to get spring ball in without having to worry about rain, snow (usually snow) on the practice fields.

Glad to hear it!xthumbsupx cannot wait to mosey on over to BOZO and check it out.

89Hen
June 10th, 2008, 09:59 AM

YES! And why wouldn't you? Almost all players prefer for the ground to give instead of a part of their bodies.

That should get a response outta MPLS!
Yes, but don't hold your breath as I've posted several sources that show that to be the case, but he still insists that players prefer the fake stuff.

hawkeye
June 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM
UT Martin's should be finished by end of next month.

http://www.utmsports.com/Turf.cfm

ngineer
June 10th, 2008, 10:37 PM

Absolutely. When I was at Lehigh, we had one of the finest natural grass turfs in the country at old Taylor Stadium. A very forgiving surface. Lying down on the turf to do stretches was so comfortable, I wanted to take a nap!;)