PDA

View Full Version : SWAC/Southland Matchups 2008. Who ya' got?

Panther88
June 8th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Prairie View A&M vs Sam Houston St
Grambling St vs Northwestern St

Did I overlook another?

No lie, SHSU scares me. They're an explosive team that hasn't "exploded" yet. They certainly have a wealth of talent on both sides of the ball and I know factually they've been shoring up the 'issues' from last fall. xreadx If McN slips, I'd strongly predict the bearkats to be the team to beat (followed by a close UCA xreadx ) and take the SLC crown.

Chime in FCS prognosticators.

TexasTerror
June 8th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Southeastern La travels to Alcorn State (to being a two-year home-and-home)...SLU gets the home game in 2009. Also missed UCA-UAPB in Little Rock and TxSo vs Texas St-San Marcos. Five SLC match-ups against the SWAC!

I'm predicting the SLC goes 4-1.

The possible losses are NWST-Grambling and SLU-Alcorn. I think UCA and Texas St-San Marcos are the likely wins with SHSU over PVA&M being pretty SHSU-leaning (pending QB situation).

The TSU game will have an FBS like flair with the Tigers having 40+ transfers (according to some reports) and Texas St-San Marcos "driving" to FBS.

NWST should have the talent to beat Grambling while SLU going on the road to the SWAC will be quite the challenge (SHSU always tends to play 'closer' games on the road at SWAC schools in baseball, figure Alcorn is going to get some 'home-cooking', though Lucas should be able to get his against the Braves, which may be enough for the 'W')...

813Jag
June 8th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Southeastern La travels to Alcorn State (to being a two-year home-and-home)...SLU gets the home game in 2009. Also missed UCA-UAPB in Little Rock and TxSo vs Texas St-San Marcos. Five SLC match-ups against the SWAC!

The possible losses are NWST-Grambling and SLU-Alcorn. I think UCA and Texas St-San Marcos are the likely wins with SHSU over PVA&M being pretty SHSU-leaning (pending QB situation).

The TSU game will have an FBS like flair with the Tigers having 40+ transfers (according to some reports) and Texas St-San Marcos "driving" to FBS.

NWST should have the talent to beat Grambling while SLU going on the road to the SWAC will be quite the challenge (SHSU always tends to play 'closer' games on the road at SWAC schools in baseball, figure Alcorn is going to get some 'home-cooking', though Lucas should be able to get his against the Braves, which may be enough for the 'W')...
Alcorn will need more than home cooking to get a W, they lost their only big playmaker (Nate Hughes) and even with him their offense was sporadic at best. Right now I give Grambling the best shot to win, if they can control the ball and Landers doesn't make mistakes.

Lionsrking
June 8th, 2008, 05:40 PM

I never guarantee anything but I don't see us losing to Alcorn, even on the road. Not saying we'll blow them out like we did in '05, but we're more talented than we were then and should be much improved over last year.

TexasTerror
June 8th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Good points by all...

SLC goes 4-1 or 5-0, the lone game in question is Grambling/NWST. NWST is 11-9 against the SWAC including 0-1 against Grambling.

Lionsrking
June 8th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Good points by all...

SLC goes 4-1 or 5-0, the lone game in question is Grambling/NWST. NWST is 11-9 against the SWAC including 0-1 against Grambling.

I don't see them losing to Grambling either. Maybe three or four years ago it would have close but I think there's a separation now.

HPCAT
June 8th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Prairie View A&M vs Sam Houston St
Grambling St vs Northwestern St

Did I overlook another?

No lie, SHSU scares me. They're an explosive team that hasn't "exploded" yet. They certainly have a wealth of talent on both sides of the ball and I know factually they've been shoring up the 'issues' from last fall. xreadx If McN slips, I'd strongly predict the bearkats to be the team to beat (followed by a close UCA xreadx ) and take the SLC crown.

Chime in FCS prognosticators.

SHST lost their best receiver, their 3 best linemen, and arguably their best QB, I just don't see the explosiveness unless the new lineman jell quickly, they add more consistent receivers, and find more than one proven quality back.

I might be overlooking some proven underclassmen returning though.

813Jag
June 9th, 2008, 06:58 AM
I don't see them losing to Grambling either. Maybe three or four years ago it would have close but I think there's a separation now.
I think one area Grambling has improved is coaching, Broadway is a good coach who got alot of mileage out of a young team last year. They will be better this year, Northwestern had injuries last year. I think that is our best shot for a win against the SLC. Not predicting anything.

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2008, 08:03 AM
SHST lost their best receiver, their 3 best linemen, and arguably their best QB, I just don't see the explosiveness unless the new lineman jell quickly, they add more consistent receivers, and find more than one proven quality back.

Bomar will be back...

Chris Poullard is a capable running back and we've seen flashes of what TyMagic can do...the running game opens up tremendously with a healthy Bomar and will do even better if WRs start doing their job.

SHSU tends to reload on the offensive line...a slight concern, but not a huge one if SHSU history as of late proves itself again.

WR could very well be an issue, as could DB.

813Jag
June 9th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Bomar will be back...

Chris Poullard is a capable running back and we've seen flashes of what TyMagic can do...the running game opens up tremendously with a healthy Bomar and will do even better if WRs start doing their job.

SHSU tends to reload on the offensive line...a slight concern, but not a huge one if SHSU history as of late proves itself again.

WR could very well be an issue, as could DB.
I'm interested to see how PV's offense develops this season, last year they seemed to improve as the season went on. Their D was strong.

mikebigg
June 9th, 2008, 08:16 AM
I think one area Grambling has improved is coaching, Broadway is a good coach who got alot of mileage out of a young team last year. They will be better this year, Northwestern had injuries last year. I think that is our best shot for a win against the SLC. Not predicting anything.

He did a good job but the team faltered down the stretch for the second season in a row. The previous year was a different staff, but I still don't want to see a trend develop where we don't close out the season strong.

The key will be Landers and how well he cuts down on the int's... We return our two leading rushers, both of whom were true freshmen last year. But I really liked the team's look last season and think we will do well. Lost the top 3 receivers, but I'm confident that Coach Sammie White will have his receiving corp performing to their usual standard.

Don't know a lot about Northwestern except that Stroker is probably feeling some pressure to get back into the SLC championship seat and make the playoffs. Should be a good game... I like our chances but the Demons will be tough at home in this early matchup.

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Stoker is in a rough spot, probably the biggest as far as the hot seat goes considering most of the league has coaches who have only been around a season or two. He's the longest-serving coach in the league.

They have a schedule in which if they want to prove themselves worthy, they can get the wins necessary to do so. Like their OOC (Cal Poly, Grambling). We'll see what Demons we see...

Panther88
June 9th, 2008, 12:13 PM

I might be overlooking some proven underclassmen returning though.

Not taking anything from McCown (sp), but I think Bomar is capable of being head and shoulders above. The injuries hampered but for the most part, the physical tools and knowledge are still there for him to be one of the greatest to leave bearkat football.

I'm not in the know regarding their backups outside of TyMagic whom I heard is very damned good. O-line? I'll bet the house they'll be ready to play on Sats if they jell fairly quickly.

The WR corp has been shored up. If they provide the required consistency, they'll be pretty tough to defend. Esp Madkins. xreadx That txfer scares me. 6'6" and can run/catch too? xreadx

History won't be playing the game vs PV. In our last contest, PV won 15-13 (I think). This will not be that same old SHSU squad or that same old PVAMU squad when they take the gridiron. SHSU has talented coaching and very talented student-athletes. PV hasn't seen this semblance of coaching and talent since the 1960s. xreadx It's a much anticipated contest that everyone is looking forward to.xcoolx

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Panther88,

Can you confirm whether this game is a home-and-home? Or a two-year deal with both games in Huntsville? Or perhaps a 2 for 1? Or home-and-home plus neutral?

Panther88
June 9th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Panther88,

Can you confirm whether this game is a home-and-home? Or a two-year deal with both games in Huntsville? Or perhaps a 2 for 1? Or home-and-home plus neutral?

I'm not certain. I'll try to confirm. Hopefully, home and home but I'm almost certain it'll be home and netral due to Blackshear's size. Home and home + neutral would be granduoso! Just think, each squad being 1-1 xthumbsupx lol heading into the neutral site game. lol ;)

TexasTerror
June 9th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I'm a big proponent of home + home + neutral. Heck, a four year home and home would be great too. I know we've done such a deal before (we start one with W Illinois in 2009, one of our old rivals under the previous regime).

Demon Fan
June 9th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Good points by all...

I am really looking forward to this game. I was at the game in 1974 when the Demons lost (13-14) on a blocked field goal, from point-blank range , courtesy of future All-Pro defensive tackle Gary "Big Hands" Johnson with mere seconds left on the clock. The sell-out game was held in what was then State Fair Stadium (now Independence Stadium) in Shreveport.

In 1991, I was priviledged to get to visit with Coach Robinson and Gary Johnson as I was seated across the breakfast table from both men. Gary was being inducted into the Lousiana Sports Hall of Fame and Coach "Rob" was there to serve as his introducer. At that meal I brought up the subject of the 1974 game and told Gary that I had still not forgiven him for blocking that game winner. He just grinned a big grin and said, "Glad to have been of service". The coach was a real pleasure with whom to visit. I asked him when we would get a rematch and he laughed and said that he'd see what he could do.

Well, he is gone now, but the rematch is going to happen. I'm sure that he would understand if the Demons don't try another last second field goal, but keep about a two touchdown buffer on the Tigers. :)

BEAR
June 9th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I can't speak for the other games, being fairly new to the division, but UCA will destroy UAPB...which is strange considering UAPB typically has very talented, NFL caliber players nearly every year on their squad...maybe Head Coach Monte Coleman (UCA Alum and 3x NFL ring wearer) can organize that team to do more than they have ever done before! Go Lions....but not for the UCA game..! xthumbsupx xlolx

mikebigg
June 10th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I am really looking forward to this game. I was at the game in 1974 when the Demons lost (13-14) on a blocked field goal, from point-blank range , courtesy of future All-Pro defensive tackle Gary "Big Hands" Johnson with mere seconds left on the clock. The sell-out game was held in what was then State Fair Stadium (now Independence Stadium) in Shreveport.

In 1991, I was priviledged to get to visit with Coach Robinson and Gary Johnson as I was seated across the breakfast table from both men. Gary was being inducted into the Lousiana Sports Hall of Fame and Coach "Rob" was there to serve as his introducer. At that meal I brought up the subject of the 1974 game and told Gary that I had still not forgiven him for blocking that game winner. He just grinned a big grin and said, "Glad to have been of service". The coach was a real pleasure with whom to visit. I asked him when we would get a rematch and he laughed and said that he'd see what he could do.

Well, he is gone now, but the rematch is going to happen. I'm sure that he would understand if the Demons don't try another last second field goal, but keep about a two touchdown buffer on the Tigers. :)

I was a penniless freshman sitting in my dorm room listening to the game via radio. Northwestern had this running back that keep running it all night, the announcer kept saying Mario "The Rage" Cage. You should have heard the screams all through the dorms as the announcer screamed "Blocked, It's Blocked, the kick was blocked".

Several of my homeboys later went on to play for Northwestern... not sure when you were there but you might remember U.L. Finister (4 yr starter at linebacker) and his younger brother Carlton Finister who played fullback his first two years blocking for Joe Delaney and then moved to tailback his senior year...I think he led yall in rushing that year. Two good guys...despite being my cousins! (lol)

MaximumBobcat
June 10th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I'll be interested to see how Bobby Reid plays in his first few games, he IS a very gifted athlete and QB.

I'm not sure if he will be a game changing player in the game against Texas State, but the potential is there.

TexasTerror
June 10th, 2008, 01:44 PM
I'll be interested to see how Bobby Reid plays in his first few games, he IS a very gifted athlete and QB.

I'm not sure if he will be a game changing player in the game against Texas State, but the potential is there.

The question as it relates to Texas Southern's chances are how quickly the transfers gel. My friend(s) at Prairie View tells me there are upwards of 40 transfers coming into that Tigers program. This program will either be *boom* or *bust*. Charlie Mac can't coach on the sidelines...

3rd Coast Tiger
June 10th, 2008, 07:37 PM
The question as it relates to Texas Southern's chances are how quickly the transfers gel. My friend(s) at Prairie View tells me there are upwards of 40 transfers coming into that Tigers program. This program will either be *boom* or *bust*. Charlie Mac can't coach on the sidelines...

You haven't heard TT, none of them are coming now. xoopsx

TexasTerror
June 10th, 2008, 09:30 PM
You haven't heard TT, none of them are coming now. xoopsx

Hard to hear (or read) much when it involves TSU.

Where are these FBS transfers coming from? Mike Gundy send a few the way of the Tigers? I know he's got some Houston boys up at Okie State.

You guys planning to keep it within two TDs against the Bobcats this year?

3rd Coast Tiger
June 11th, 2008, 12:26 AM
You guys planning to keep it within two TDs against the Bobcats this year?

As long as we can stay within seven to eight touchdowns before halftime. xrolleyesx

mikebigg
June 11th, 2008, 07:57 AM
3rd Coast Tig... who did Coach Cole hire as his offensive coordinator? Maybe he's gonna handle the playcalling himself. Normally, I don't like that approach but I could see where it would work for him. Johnny Cole was a beast of an offensive coordinator at Bama State. I'm sure he'll get input from his receivers Coach Melvin Spears who wasn't a shabby Offensive Coordinator during Grambling championship seasons. Plus he was the "mad genius" in the passing game as Head Coach during our 11-1 season in 2005 with Bruce Eugene.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 11th, 2008, 08:48 AM
3rd Coast Tig... who did Coach Cole hire as his offensive coordinator? Maybe he's gonna handle the playcalling himself. Normally, I don't like that approach but I could see where it would work for him. Johnny Cole was a beast of an offensive coordinator at Bama State. I'm sure he'll get input from his receivers Coach Melvin Spears who wasn't a shabby Offensive Coordinator during Grambling championship seasons. Plus he was the "mad genius" in the passing game as Head Coach during our 11-1 season in 2005 with Bruce Eugene.

MB,

Coach Cole hired himself as his OC. The Cole/Spears combination will work wonders this season.

TexasTerror
June 11th, 2008, 09:00 AM
As long as we can stay within seven to eight touchdowns before halftime. xrolleyesx

How long has it been since TxSo scored seven or eight touchdowns in a game against a Div I opponent? I do not think I've seen the day in my lifetime, have you in yours? xlolx

Demon Fan
June 11th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I was a penniless freshman sitting in my dorm room listening to the game via radio. Northwestern had this running back that keep running it all night, the announcer kept saying Mario "The Rage" Cage. You should have heard the screams all through the dorms as the announcer screamed "Blocked, It's Blocked, the kick was blocked".

Several of my homeboys later went on to play for Northwestern... not sure when you were there but you might remember U.L. Finister (4 yr starter at linebacker) and his younger brother Carlton Finister who played fullback his first two years blocking for Joe Delaney and then moved to tailback his senior year...I think he led yall in rushing that year. Two good guys...despite being my cousins! (lol)

You bet I remember the Finisters, especially Carlton; he was a load. One of the very best blocking fullbacks to play the game! He was big and very physical. His best year was his last in 1981 (Delaney was with Kansas City by then). He averaged 5.4 per carry (710 yds. on 128 carries) with 6 TDs.

mikebigg
June 12th, 2008, 08:45 AM
You bet I remember the Finisters, especially Carlton; he was a load. One of the very best blocking fullbacks to play the game! He was big and very physical. His best year was his last in 1981 (Delaney was with Kansas City by then). He averaged 5.4 per carry (710 yds. on 128 carries) with 6 TDs.

Both of those guys are good dudes...and I'd say that even if they weren't my cousins. Just two big azz country boys who would knock you down and smile and help you up. Carlton, I could handle pretty eazy cuz I'm about 3 years older...but UL and I were only about 2months apart (although I was a grade older due to my December Birthday). Always big and strong and fast. I try to stop by and visit with him whenever I go home... good people

Mr. Tiger
June 12th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I think Grambling will beat Northwestern State. PV has a shot against Sam Houston and UAPB has a shot against Central Arkansas. But I have Sam Houston or UCA winning the SLC so I give them the edge. Who knows what Texas Southern can do with a new coaching staff and Bobby Reid. Alcorn has a new coach. I am just glad we have some SLC and SWAC matchups to watch. xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
June 12th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I think Grambling will beat Northwestern State. PV has a shot against Sam Houston and UAPB has a shot against Central Arkansas. But I have Sam Houston or UCA winning the SLC so I give them the edge. Who knows what Texas Southern can do with a new coaching staff and Bobby Reid. Alcorn has a new coach. I am just glad we have some SLC and SWAC matchups to watch. xthumbsupx

UAPB has no shot against UCA. Sure, it's "Any Given Saturday", but I just do not think UAPB can stay within 20 of UCA. Could be much worse. That's the longest odds of any SWAC school to compete against the SLC.

Grambling vs NWST is the best odds for the SWAC. Mark it down!

Mr. Tiger
June 12th, 2008, 06:46 PM
UAPB has no shot against UCA. Sure, it's "Any Given Saturday", but I just do not think UAPB can stay within 20 of UCA. Could be much worse. That's the longest odds of any SWAC school to compete against the SLC.

Grambling vs NWST is the best odds for the SWAC. Mark it down!

Don't underestimate UAPB. They return quite a few players and their young offensive line was a major problem last season. The line started to improve late in the season. They beat Prairie View and Southern to end last season and was very competitive against Grambling and New Mexico State. Granted, I have UCA winning this game, but if UAPB can build off last season's late surge with a new coach, then they could give UCA a real test.

813Jag
June 13th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Don't underestimate UAPB. They return quite a few players and their young offensive line was a major problem last season. The line started to improve late in the season. They beat Prairie View and Southern to end last season and was very competitive against Grambling and New Mexico State. Granted, I have UCA winning this game, but if UAPB can build off last season's late surge with a new coach, then they could give UCA a real test.
UAPB had a slow start last season, but they shouldn't have beat Southern. A 15 yard celebration penalty after Southern blocked a FG, gave them another chance to kick the game winner. xnonono2x

BEAR
June 13th, 2008, 05:07 AM

Um...no. Having watched UAPB every year for years...um...no...UCA this year is beyond loaded on offense...defense...pretty good..but offense...xpeacex TT is right on this one.

R.A.
June 13th, 2008, 06:56 AM
I'm interested to see how PV's offense develops this season, last year they seemed to improve as the season went on. Their D was strong.

I agree. The Panthers program continues to improve each season.

Panther88
June 13th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I agree. The Panthers program continues to improve each season.

We have official word that QB Mark Spivey has been granted a medical redshirt so he'll be returning to PV when and/or if (god forbid :() the SWAC office clears him.

The entire WR corp from last fall returns (all redshirt frosh/soph) coupled w/ a few juco txfers and 2 D-I FBS txfers from the Big XII. xreadx

Tx Staters should be very familiar w/ Mr Spivey. xreadx

JoshUCA
June 13th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I don't see UAPB staying with UCA this year. I mean we beat UAPB when we were still D2! Yes, UAPB has a new coach and some great players, but it will take some time for them to adjust to a new system I imagine. So, I don't see it being close. I just hope that if we continue playing this game every year that it will eventually become a competitive game to keep the fans involved!

Panther88
June 13th, 2008, 01:13 PM
UAPB had a slow start last season, but they shouldn't have beat Southern. A 15 yard celebration penalty after Southern blocked a FG, gave them another chance to kick the game winner. xnonono2x

Try this one: You dominate them 430+ yds to their 170 yds where 52 of those yards came on one play (their long TD) and you're in their red-zone 6 times where they pick off 2 sure-fire TD passes and run the length of the field to score 12 of their 18 TD related points. xlolx We dominated them from start to finish and they beat us 21-19.

We Panthers always felt that was the game that was very pivotal in PV not actually being considered for the FCS tourney. xreadx If we'd gone 8-2 w/ those 2 losses coming via 12-2 to Southern and 17-14 to Grambling, we could've possibly made the suarez to Lake Charles for a McNeese tilt in round #1. Possibly.

Where's TT? :)

Lionsrking
June 13th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I don't see UAPB staying with UCA this year. I mean we beat UAPB when we were still D2! Yes, UAPB has a new coach and some great players, but it will take some time for them to adjust to a new system I imagine. So, I don't see it being close. I just hope that if we continue playing this game every year that it will eventually become a competitive game to keep the fans involved!

I don't see the final score being very close either, however, I wouldn't put much stock into how you did against them when you were D-II. The last time you played them was five years ago (won by 14) and that wasn't a very good UAPB team. One thing about SWAC teams is they're typically big and athletic which can create matchup problems. Again, I'm not putting UCA on upset alert nor do I think it will be particularly close, but I wouldn't be shocked it it's a competitive ballgame for a half or even three quarters.

BEAR
June 13th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I don't see the final score being very close either, however, I wouldn't put much stock into how you did against them when you were D-II. The last time you played them was five years ago (won by 14) and that wasn't a very good UAPB team. One thing about SWAC teams is they're typically big and athletic which can create matchup problems. Again, I'm not putting UCA on upset alert nor do I think it will be particularly close, but I wouldn't be shocked it it's a competitive ballgame for a half or even three quarters.

I'm all for UAPB giving anyone a good game. But the whole DII game a couple of years ago went like this:

UCA starters in: UCA up by 21
UCA starters came out: UAPB made a little run
UCA starters back in UCA cruises to an easy win.
23 schollys vs 63 schollys...shouldn't have been much of a game.

But I say again, I hope UAPB gives a little more of a game and Monte Coleman teaches them about winning. Would love to see them in the championship game this year! xthumbsupx

R.A.
June 13th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I'll go 3-2 for the Southland. I like Grambling and PVAMU.

Lionsrking
June 14th, 2008, 12:28 AM
I'm all for UAPB giving anyone a good game. But the whole DII game a couple of years ago went like this:

UCA starters in: UCA up by 21
UCA starters came out: UAPB made a little run
UCA starters back in UCA cruises to an easy win.
23 schollys vs 63 schollys...shouldn't have been much of a game.

But I say again, I hope UAPB gives a little more of a game and Monte Coleman teaches them about winning. Would love to see them in the championship game this year! xthumbsupx

It wasn't a couple of years ago...it was five, which means neither team has anyone left other than some members of the UCA coaching staff.

BEAR
June 14th, 2008, 06:53 PM
It wasn't a couple of years ago...it was five, which means neither team has anyone left other than some members of the UCA coaching staff.

Obviously it was 5 years ago...a couple of years ago is a southern expression that can mean 2 years ago or recent past (i.e. a few years back or a couple of years back etc. etc.)...geez..and UCA is much much better than they were back then too...I don't think UCA will run the score up on them or anything like that..Conque is too classy to do anything like that..ask Texas State after Conque pulled his starters after the beginning of the third quarter. This game will have similar results. xrulesx

UCABEARS75
June 16th, 2008, 08:37 AM

You are correct, UAPB was not very good that year.

Now, go back and look at how we were that year....terrible.

That was the year Zac Clark broke his finger in August and we had very questionable quarterbacking all season. We did not challenge the top teams in the GSC that season.