PDA

View Full Version : Rasmussen leaves MSU football team!

Grizzaholic
June 7th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I thought Rasmussen would be the starting QB this year at Bozeman. Did the transfer from Oregon have a lot to do with it or did he just see the writing on the wall that he was not going to be the starter? I would think he would atleast compete for the starting job.

http://www.billingsgazette.net/h/blogs/catgriz/?p=605

CrazyCat
June 7th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I believe Iddins had the edge going into Fall and with the addition of Kempt, Ras had a feeling he would be 3rd. He's rumoured to be going to a J.C. in hopes of moving back up in the future. I only wish him the best of luck.

DuckDuckGriz
June 7th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Cat fans I talked to weren't that impressed with him anyway. What's your take, crazycat?

Grizzaholic
June 7th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I spoke to a few Bobcat fans in the past weeks and they thought he was right in the running for the starting job. But with a drop down QB coming to MSU, it might have been too much competition.

ncbears
June 7th, 2008, 12:14 PM
He's afraid to play UNC again. That's really the only reason I can think right now.

DuckDuckGriz
June 7th, 2008, 12:16 PM
He's afraid to play UNC again. That's really the only reason I can think right now.

No one wants to smell Greeley again ;)

CrazyCat
June 7th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Cat fans I talked to weren't that impressed with him anyway. What's your take, crazycat?

I'll kindly agree. I also think that Ash is moving to more of a spread offense and Ras was not very mobile.

DuckDuckGriz
June 7th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I'll kindly agree. I also think that Ash is moving to more of a spread offense and Ras was not very mobile.

Oh wow! Offensive creativity!!!! What's that like? :o

JBB
June 7th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Maybe he is headed to NDSU. Our backup just transfered to D2.

CopperCat
June 7th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Ras had size and a decent arm, which conventional wisdom would say that he would at least have a shot at being the starter. I thought I remembered reading in the papers that the coaches liked what he was doing last year and that he would be competetive for the starting position. Very odd that he leaves now, but maybe this means that Iddins is just that good. Either way, Ras is a good kid and should be a good QB for whoever he plays for.

CrazyCat
June 7th, 2008, 01:38 PM

Ras is headed for Fresno JC.

Oh wow! Offensive creativity!!!! What's that like?

We will see this fall but it feels good so far. xthumbsupx

ncbears
June 7th, 2008, 03:08 PM
No one wants to smell Greeley again ;)

That my friend is the smell of $$$!!

CopperCat
June 7th, 2008, 03:51 PM

Name me ONE team that is legitimately afraid of UNC.........

Probably the team itself.;)

ALPHAGRIZ1
June 7th, 2008, 04:12 PM

Ask your boy Phen Phen

stevdock
June 7th, 2008, 06:52 PM

That would help us out some NEXT year. Unfortunately that doesn't do us any good for this year. Is Rasmussen transferring to another school to play or is he just done with football??

CopperCat
June 7th, 2008, 06:58 PM
That would help us out some NEXT year. Unfortunately that doesn't do us any good for this year. Is Rasmussen transferring to another school to play or is he just done with football??

Ras is headed for Fresno JC.

xreadx

Grizzaholic
June 7th, 2008, 11:13 PM

I believe he wil be transferring to finish up school and to play football. Hopefully he gets picked up with a team that wants to pass the ball and doesn't want the QB to move around a lot. That seems to be his weakness.

T-Dog
June 8th, 2008, 03:13 AM

That kind of new-age offense mess won't work against big brutes and good ol fashion pound-it-up-the-gut football! xrotatehx :D

CopperCat
June 8th, 2008, 12:18 PM
That kind of new-age offense mess won't work against big brutes and good ol fashion pound-it-up-the-gut football! xrotatehx :D

xblahblahx xblahblahx
What are you ASU people the spread experts now or something?

Peems
June 8th, 2008, 12:49 PM

Hey! At least you could go watch Oregon!

JALMOND
June 8th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Sounds like some politics going on in Bozeman. My take on Kempf...An understatement to say that the Ducks tried everyone they could think of at QB after Dixon went down. The fact that their season tanked was that they did not have a quality Pac-10 QB behind Dixon, Kempf included. Belloti and Kelly brought in a ton of QB's in the spring and Kempf could not move up so he left and went home. If Rasmussen left because Kempf is at school, or if the staff promised Kempf an opportunity to play, it might be a long season for the Cats. Last year, the Ducks would have loved to have any of the top Big Sky quarterbacks to back up Dixon (including their actual backup, Leaf). Kempf was nowhere near top Big Sky level last year (or any Big Sky level, for that matter).

CopperCat
June 8th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Sounds like some politics going on in Bozeman. My take on Kempf...An understatement to say that the Ducks tried everyone they could think of at QB after Dixon went down. The fact that their season tanked was that they did not have a quality Pac-10 QB behind Dixon, Kempf included. Belloti and Kelly brought in a ton of QB's in the spring and Kempf could not move up so he left and went home. If Rasmussen left because Kempf is at school, or if the staff promised Kempf an opportunity to play, it might be a long season for the Cats. Last year, the Ducks would have loved to have any of the top Big Sky quarterbacks to back up Dixon (including their actual backup, Leaf). Kempf was nowhere near top Big Sky level last year (or any Big Sky level, for that matter).

Dunno about you, but anytime we get a dropdown QB that played at a big school in a very competitive conference, I welcome it with open arms. Kempf may not have been good enough for the Pac-10, but last I checked the Big Sky doesn't even come close to the caliber of those teams.

You may also be forgetting that MSU has Iddins, Sullivan, Desin, and Darius Bell to pick up the slack at QB. Rasmussen leaving isn't a big deal at all. There is plenty of depth there, now the talent just has to be cultivated.

Why all the hate from PSU fans?xeyebrowx

JALMOND
June 8th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Dunno about you, but anytime we get a dropdown QB that played at a big school in a very competitive conference, I welcome it with open arms. Kempf may not have been good enough for the Pac-10, but last I checked the Big Sky doesn't even come close to the caliber of those teams.

You may also be forgetting that MSU has Iddins, Sullivan, Desin, and Darius Bell to pick up the slack at QB. Rasmussen leaving isn't a big deal at all. There is plenty of depth there, now the talent just has to be cultivated.

Why all the hate from PSU fans?xeyebrowx

No hate, just the constant Duck football crap we get out here. Belloti and company were looking for anyone to salvage the Duck QB situation after Dixon's injury. Kempf had a shot like everyone else and, from what I saw, was not a Pac-10 level QB. I'd rather have Rasmussen's caliber at Bozeman than Kempf as nothing I heard or seen last year showed me that Kempf is all that great at any level. Kempf never got above fourth string at Oregon and this year would have been the same. Kempf and his father both saw it, left and went home to the Cats. Iddins beating out Rasmussen shows that Iddins is probably a pretty good talent, but Kempf getting the nod over Rasmussen just because he "played" at Oregon has me wondering. No hate, just trying to stay neutral.

CopperCat
June 8th, 2008, 04:23 PM
No hate, just the constant Duck football crap we get out here. Belloti and company were looking for anyone to salvage the Duck QB situation after Dixon's injury. Kempf had a shot like everyone else and, from what I saw, was not a Pac-10 level QB. I'd rather have Rasmussen's caliber at Bozeman than Kempf as nothing I heard or seen last year showed me that Kempf is all that great at any level. Kempf never got above fourth string at Oregon and this year would have been the same. Kempf and his father both saw it, left and went home to the Cats. Iddins beating out Rasmussen shows that Iddins is probably a pretty good talent, but Kempf getting the nod over Rasmussen just because he "played" at Oregon has me wondering. No hate, just trying to stay neutral.

It's all good. I didn't know anything about Kempf to start so maybe him coming here isn't the greatest thing in the world. Regardless of that, we've still got some talent at QB that can be utilized in various situations. Iddins might be the guy for most of the game, but on those 3rd and 5 or 3rd and short situations you might see Desin come in to pound it up the gut for a first down. I'm really not worried about QB at all, which wasn't the case last year.

CrazyCat
June 8th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Its Kempt with a t :)

I have no idea how good kempt is, but he was highly rated out of high school. He didn't cut it for the mighty ducks and gets a chance in the fall to show his talents. May the best man win xthumbsupx

catbob
June 8th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Well I read Kempt runs a 4.6-4.7 40. Rasmussen runs a 4.8-5.0 I believe. Ash has made it clear he wants a mobile QB.

JALMOND
June 8th, 2008, 07:03 PM

I have no idea how good kempt is, but he was highly rated out of high school. He didn't cut it for the mighty ducks and gets a chance in the fall to show his talents. May the best man win xthumbsupx

At night, being forced to stumble through all the stories of the great Duck team of the year just to get to the PSU writeup, sometimes "t"'s look like "f"'s. My bad. Glad you all knew who I was talking about.

PSUVikings
June 9th, 2008, 09:34 AM

4-Stars right out of Westview HS in Portland.

GOKATS
June 9th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Well I read Kempt runs a 4.6-4.7 40. Rasmussen runs a 4.8-5.0 I believe. Ash has made it clear he wants a mobile QB.

I think that sums up Rasmussens situation in a nutshell. Ras probably had the best arm in spring camp, but lacked the mobility Ash is looking for in his spread offense. A team looking for a drop back passer will do very well with Ras. I hope he finds the right team and wish him the best in the future.

Grizzaholic
June 9th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I think that sums up Rasmussens situation in a nutshell. Ras probably had the best arm in spring camp, but lacked the mobility Ash is looking for in his spread offense. A team looking for a drop back passer will do very well with Ras. I hope he finds the right team and wish him the best in the future.

Maybe I just missed it, he did withdraw from school when he left the football team?

GOKATS
June 9th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Maybe I just missed it, he did withdraw from school when he left the football team?

He said he's going to play for Fresno City College this fall, it was a fluke deal- Rasmussens Dad is the golf coach at Seattle University and was talking to Fresno City last week about a golf recruit and learned that Fresno City was deperate for a QB. I'd guess that Ras was already having thoughts when they brought Kempt in late, but it gave him just the opportunity to play he was looking for. He's only a soph and says he wants to make it back into the DI ranks, I think he'll be back somewhere. It was just bad timing for him at MSU because Kramer recruited him and he just doesn't fit Ashs' QB scheme. All indications are that there are no hard feelings on either side- it looks like a win/win situation all around.

Grizzaholic
June 9th, 2008, 05:07 PM
He said he's going to play for Fresno City College this fall, it was a fluke deal- Rasmussens Dad is the golf coach at Seattle University and was talking to Fresno City last week about a golf recruit and learned that Fresno City was deperate for a QB. I'd guess that Ras was already having thoughts when they brought Kempt in late, but it gave him just the opportunity to play he was looking for. He's only a soph and says he wants to make it back into the DI ranks, I think he'll be back somewhere. It was just bad timing for him at MSU because Kramer recruited him and he just doesn't fit Ashs' QB scheme. All indications are that there are no hard feelings on either side- it looks like a win/win situation all around.

Good to hear.

CrazyCat
June 9th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Does this type of situation affect the APR?

Grizzaholic
June 9th, 2008, 05:18 PM
I wouldn't think so if he leaves and is not on any type of probation.

GOKATS
June 9th, 2008, 05:41 PM
It shouldn't, he's a great student and asked for and was granted the release.